Re: Running a vehicle with an engine notorious for overheating?

Has anybody mentioned thermostat removal?  That's a HUGE help in getting the car to run cooler.  Our 325 ran cold the whole time at our events.  Probably messed with the fuel maps (too rich) on account of what the coolant temp sensor was telling the ECU (running cold), but so what. 

I also disagree about the mech. fans.  The mech. fans with the viscous clutch are typically not operating at high rpms anyway- the usually only engage when idling, where the heat makes the clutch engage.   Even though the Fbodys are bottom feeders (shocking how many GM cars are bottom feeders on account of styling superseding proper cooling) there's nothing wrong with getting postive airflow to the radiator at the front of the car by whatever means possible.  The  vent in the 90's firebird nose was lprobably quite effective, no?

And anyone who thinks a bulky mech fan is better than the thinner, more flexible, flat electric fans in the event of some contact, you're NUTS!  big_smile

Kevin

We added a slightly bent but still functional RX-7 oil cooler to our car for the Reno race and it helped a ton since our car reaches near-fusion temperatures without it. Problem is we mounted it too high and didn't channel air to it as well as we could have so we still had problems if we slowed down for too long (oddly it was fine at full-tilt) so for Thunderhill we're going to lower it so it's 100% in the airflow and add some ducting to channel as much air as possible into it. Thankfully it should be 40-50 degrees cooler at Thunderhill than Reno but we're also planning ahead for next year's Reno race.

Just to answer for ecniv... his cooling modifications didn't work so well. A replacement radiator cured that problem but unfortunately didn't fix others.

On the other hand, our BMW 325 has a paper thin radiator and before the race I was paranoid about it overheating. It ran cool as a cucumber and never got above half way on the temp gauge. *shrug* We did add a factory 325i oil cooler which I'm sure helped keep the engine happy.

The Homer: Powerful like a gorilla, yet soft and yielding like a Nerf ball.

Yup, after attacking the nose with a sawzall in the hopes of getting more airflow across the radiator, we ended up just replacing the radiator. Temps sat in the 170-180 zone after that, until the transmission died. Oh well, we'll be back, hopefully with a better sorted car.

Just a tip on pulling the thermostat, some cars actaully run much coooler with one in.  A lot of engines need the restriction of the thermostat in order to get good heat tranfer.  That's why a lot of the circle track guys run a "blank" in place of the thermostat as opposed to just pulling it out all togethor.

Team Sucker Punch: Winner Class B Doing Time at Joliet 2023 Autobahn ,Winner Org Choice award Were the Elite Meet to Cheat 2015
Chevy Camaro (Tiger striped #38)  (1989-2017 RIP old friend)
Chevy Corvette 1984......and still racing!

Solracer wrote:

Thankfully it should be 40-50 degrees cooler at Thunderhill than Reno but we're also planning ahead for next year's Reno race.

It will feel 200 degrees cooler at Thunderhill!

Tiptoe the rat wrote:

Just a tip on pulling the thermostat, some cars actaully run much coooler with one in.  A lot of engines need the restriction of the thermostat in order to get good heat tranfer.  That's why a lot of the circle track guys run a "blank" in place of the thermostat as opposed to just pulling it out all togethor.

I always "gut" the stat by cutting away the pellet, but leaving the "ring"......and if it's mounted vertically, I open up the weep hole a little to vent air. v. important!

Jim "Endo" Anderton
30 years of racing and still not Brambilla.....

jimeditorial wrote:
Tiptoe the rat wrote:

I always "gut" the stat by cutting away the pellet, but leaving the "ring"......and if it's mounted vertically, I open up the weep hole a little to vent air. v. important!

I gutted the thermostat on our Camaro, as well as all the other little tricks I have up my sleeve to keep the car cool.  Havent taken a saw to the nose yet....but I'm not opposed to the idea if the car starts to run hot.

Team Sucker Punch: Winner Class B Doing Time at Joliet 2023 Autobahn ,Winner Org Choice award Were the Elite Meet to Cheat 2015
Chevy Camaro (Tiger striped #38)  (1989-2017 RIP old friend)
Chevy Corvette 1984......and still racing!

After three races of overheating in V-RAM, we came up with a 'fix' (as opposed to a 'solution') at Buttonwillow. Besides a big scoop made from an Easy-Up box, we put in a on-board cooling system re-filler. Details on our blog.

http://djderivative.com/ebay/weed.JPG

35 (edited by MagnumPI 2009-09-22 02:33 PM)

Add a few drops of liquid soap to the rad... it helps trust me..

Team Magnum PI ness  #357  -

106th place at Nelson Ledges - The Lamest Days
-oil pressure failure leading to engine failure