Topic: Firewall questions

So our car like most I imagine has a serious case of cancerous rust. We need to do some serious metal work and as a result got us thinking about moving some stuff around but this runs into firewall issues.

I understand the need to keep fluid lines and such seperated from the driver/cabin. My question would be if we can have "quick-release" access panels for our firewall stuff.

Perhaps we are getting over our heads but we would like to move radiator, battery, and fuel into a more central location. Makes all the lines and other things much easier from a service perspective and we have to chop the hell out of some stuff anyways.
We planned on hacking some of the front firewall out and extending  pretty much into the passanger area and back seat area. We would end up having metal access panels on all these things so we could quickly remove them when we needed to fix something or refuel.  I suppose the biggest issue would be the fuel. We are using a 15 gallon Summit fuel cell.

I was thinking of locating it in the passanger seat area but wanted to make sure we are going to be okay with safety on some sort of easily removable firewall panels. How airtight do they need to be?

Re: Firewall questions

I beleve the way the rules are worded you cannot have the fuel tank in the passenger area.  You have to have it in the rear and it must be seperated by a metal panel.

Tom Lomino - Proud to be a 23x Lemons Loser, 3x Class B, and 1x IOE Winner!
Craptain, Team Farfrumwinnin - 1995 Volkswagen Golf #14
Click here to "Like" us on Facebook   Click here for our Youtube Videos
Lifetime Achievement (of hopelessness) Award Winners

RogueLeader is right on the fuel-tank placement...the complete rule reads as follows:

# 3.18: Fuel Bulkhead: The fuel-tank area must be totally separated from the driving compartment. For example, if the fuel tank is in the trunk area, any openings between the trunk and the cockpit must be permanently sealed with bolted, riveted, or welded metal panels. OE fuel tanks that are separate from, and located completely below, the trunk floor or rear-cabin floor are acceptable. If the fuel tank can't be completely separated from the cockpit by metal panels, a metal-encased, FIA-compliant fuel cell with all related compliant fittings must be used.

Also relevant:

# 3.19: Fuel, Oil, and Coolant Lines in the Cockpit: Any fuel, oil, or coolant lines that pass through the driving compartment must be encased by heavy-duty conduit, durable steel or aluminum pipe, or strong metal plate. OE metal lines in good condition in their original location are exempt from this rule, but encasement is still recommended.

On the firewall, if you do removable panels, they've gotta be pretty tightly sealed. When you've got an engine fire, the flames can find their way through every little small crack and crevice. Trust me, you don't want a little blowtorch on your foot because you missed a spot. Also, a well-sealed firewall does wonders for minimizing cockpit fumes.

Nick,

In response to that, if we are running the stock fuel tank, and remove the back seats, do we need to install a panel between the passenger cabin and trunk?

From what I've understood. if the gas tank is below the trunk the trunk floor should count.  You just need some metal between you and the gas tank.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

Okay so assuming we could some up with a reliable and well sealed containment firewall this should be okay?

Rogue--A lot of LeMons-type cars (i.e. cars from the '80s) have pass-through rear bulkheads behind the back seat and a lift-up non-metal panel over the fuel tank in the trunk. If your car is like this, you'll need to put sheetmetal plates over the holes in the rear bulkhead. BoB's right on the trunk floor thing, but many trunk "floors" are flimsy cardboard panels that don't offer much protection.

rogue. we run a 98 crown vic with all the protection police-duty paneling can afford, and we still installed a sheetmetal partition between the passenger area and trunk.

it's always a good idea to get and do anything above and beyond what's recommended for safety, especially with the deathtraps most of these guys run...

Serj wrote:

rogue. we run a 98 crown vic with all the protection police-duty paneling can afford, and we still installed a sheetmetal partition between the passenger area and trunk.

it's always a good idea to get and do anything above and beyond what's recommended for safety, especially with the deathtraps most of these guys run...

I would say my car qualifies as a death trap, its body has the consistency of a tomato can. 

Survey says....... Trunk panel it is!