1 (edited by planters49 2009-09-23 01:41 PM)

Topic: Would a $500 1992 bmw 325i be a problem at a Lemons race?

Would a $500 1992 bmw 325i (e36) be a problem at a Lemons race?  If everything is really documented will the judges allow the car in with no BS laps?

Re: Would a $500 1992 bmw 325i be a problem at a Lemons race?

it's not an E30 ... but I bet the masses will hate you anyway

To finish first, first you must finish. -Rick Mears
Pandamonium Racing

a $500 car is a $500 car... just make sure your story is legit

Document everything.

But penalty laps might be the least of your problems when deciding to enter a BMW into a Lemons event.

Believe it or not, a couple other teams have already had a similar idea; "Hey, let's enter one of them cheap fancy ass Ultimate Driving Machines!". Then they find themselves standing off to the side in the long Bavarian waiting line of cyberspace, which is right next to the Miata musical chair matrix. Getting accepted, and getting past the judges are two entirely separate hurdles.

I hope you have a great theme to balance out a generic car choice. You are competing for a spot with every other yahoo who wants to enter a BMW, while Fiats, Triumphs, and Peugeots get to waddle past at the express checkout register.

Assuming you get accepted, THEN you can worry about the back robe bandits, and your BMW woes will start anew...

But yeah, document everything, even though they won't believe you. ;-)

"Real ZomBees prefer Bacon"
IOE(x2) MGB/SAAB 96, Judge's Choice, Class C Win, & 2011 Hooniverse Car of the Year!
MRolla, Stick Figure/Animal House, Free Range MR2, SAAB Sonett, "The Death Flip"
2008 Exoskeleton Jag Fiasco, Concours d Lemons - Rue Britannia, worse British car.

http://forums.24hoursoflemons.com/viewt … 633#p12633

The Sharks
Home of the E28 Turbo Tuner Fish and the Hammered Head 944 Turbo

"Sparky" Pete wrote:

Document everything.

But penalty laps might be the least of your problems when deciding to enter a BMW into a Lemons event.

Believe it or not, a couple other teams have already had a similar idea; "Hey, let's enter one of them cheap fancy ass Ultimate Driving Machines!". Then they find themselves standing off to the side in the long Bavarian waiting line of cyberspace, which is right next to the Miata musical chair matrix. Getting accepted, and getting past the judges are two entirely separate hurdles.

I hope you have a great theme to balance out a generic car choice. You are competing for a spot with every other yahoo who wants to enter a BMW, while Fiats, Triumphs, and Peugeots get to waddle past at the express checkout register.

Assuming you get accepted, THEN you can worry about the back robe bandits, and your BMW woes will start anew...

But yeah, document everything, even though they won't believe you. ;-)

We jut finished our first race at CMP in an '84 318i which has a 4 cylinder engine.  We finished 31st overall and 17th in class with the car still running great.  We got passed by everybody and want something that has more power for our next race.  I already have all the safety gear for a 3 series BMW from the 318i, so it would be nice to get another car and put all that expensive gear in it.

I do not recommend running an E36 (if it's fast you'll be a big Curse vote magnet), but if you can make it fit the budget (and you can prove it) you're welcome to go ahead and try.

MurileeMartin wrote:

I do not recommend running an E36 (if it's fast you'll be a big Curse vote magnet), but if you can make it fit the budget (and you can prove it) you're welcome to go ahead and try.

That's what I figured, the curse would be a really big problem.

planters49 wrote:

We got passed by everybody...

Yah, I feel your pain.

"Real ZomBees prefer Bacon"
IOE(x2) MGB/SAAB 96, Judge's Choice, Class C Win, & 2011 Hooniverse Car of the Year!
MRolla, Stick Figure/Animal House, Free Range MR2, SAAB Sonett, "The Death Flip"
2008 Exoskeleton Jag Fiasco, Concours d Lemons - Rue Britannia, worse British car.

An E36 is difficult but not impossible on the budget.  In my opinion, it's a way better track car than an E30.  I'd have a hard time trashing an E36 for Lemons instead of driving it.

The Curse could be a problem.

All that said, I thought there had been a few E36's in Lemons.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

hey, it still could be an e30 if it's a convertible.  that'd make it all better, right?

Hi Guys (and Gals)

No better time than the present to introduce ourselves.  Everyone has to come out of the closet eventually, right?

Team Revolutionary Racing will be running an E36 in Houston in October.  it is a legit Sub $500 car that was wrecked and not running when it was purchased.

After a lot of work, it at least starts.

I would like to post a picture, but apparently I am not smart enough to figure that out.  If someone can tell me how to post a picture, I will put a picture of the car up (it is still a work in progress).  I saw there are instructions for posting pictures, but they are written in Tech, and i don't read that.  Can anyone tell me in English how to put a picture up?

once we get our pictures posted,  we can have a more detailed discussion about E36s in Lemons and why they are really no different than old fiats, or volkswagens or Wartburgs for that matter.

Troy
Team Revolutionary Racing
YEE-HAW IT'S Lemons TEXAS (2009)