Topic: Fueling Safety

Hey guys,

I've watched a lot of teams putting fuel in their car.  Most of the time I see a guy will a fuel bottle and a second person with a fire extinguisher standing almost shoulder to shoulder with the fueler.  It looks like a pretty bad way to stage your fireman.  The guy with the extinguisher should be standing 10' or so away from the fueler ready to help.  Otherwise if a fire happens you could end up with two guys on fire and the fuel bottle and extinguisher laying on the ground. 

Just a safety observation.  I'm curious if anyone with fireman training would comment.

Not all who wander are lost.

2 (edited by Bender/StickFigureRacing 2009-09-25 11:56 AM)

Re: Fueling Safety

andyshoun wrote:

Hey guys,

I've watched a lot of teams putting fuel in their car.  Most of the time I see a guy will a fuel bottle and a second person with a fire extinguisher standing almost shoulder to shoulder with the fueler.  It looks like a pretty bad way to stage your fireman.  The guy with the extinguisher should be standing 10' or so away from the fueler ready to help.  Otherwise if a fire happens you could end up with two guys on fire and the fuel bottle and extinguisher laying on the ground. 

Just a safety observation.  I'm curious if anyone with fireman training would comment.

http://failblog.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/wtf_pics-fireman.jpg

At least we are not dressed like this!:D

On a serious note. Yes the fire extinguisher should be about ten feet away.
If there is a fire he can move to adjust his spray, being too close is not a good thing like you pointed out.

Team: V-Ram/Altamont Team: Knights of the Round Track/Reno/Buttonwillow/Thunderhill Team: Death Mobile/Sears 2010/Thunderhill/ChumpCar  Spokane/ MSR Houston/Buttonwillow/Sears. MRolla Project /Reno
http://stickfigureracing.blogspot.com/

Re: Fueling Safety

That hurt my brain...in fact its STILL hurting my brain.

YOU SAW IT YOU CAN'T UNSEE IT!!

Team Sucker Punch: Winner Class B Doing Time at Joliet 2023 Autobahn ,Winner Org Choice award Were the Elite Meet to Cheat 2015
Chevy Camaro (Tiger striped #38)  (1989-2017 RIP old friend)
Chevy Corvette 1984......and still racing!