Re: **Good cautionary tale** Don't let this happen to you -- blood & gore

Spank wrote:
CowDriver wrote:

I never even bothered to fill the prescription for Vicodin that I got at Urgent Care.

Dont' be a hero.   Fill the prescription....

Seriously, there is so little pain (unless I press on it) that I haven't taken even an ibuprofen since yesterday, and that was for the root canal I had.

Spank wrote:

... especially if you get it less than full retail through your health insurance. And remember, it's a LeMons-related injury. Technically, it came with the car. But you don't need it for the race. So sell the Vicodin on Craigslist and use that money to dump back into the Snipe. Be sure to save your receipts for BS judging, though.

Hmmm. Not sure if you'd get better traction out of them as a bribe, though. After about 4 hours in the penalty box, the justices may want to take a few Vicodin themselves to dull the pain.

That is a truly unique way of looking at the situation!   smile

"I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it!"
IOE winner in the Super Snipe -- Buttonwillow 2012
IOE winner in Super Snipe v2.0 -- Buttonwillow 2016
"Every Super Snipe in Lemons has won an IOE!"

Dibs!

Quad4 CRX - Wartburg 311 - Civic Wagovan - Parnelli Jones Galaxie - LS400 - Lancia MR2 - Boat - Sentra - 56 Ford Victoria
Known Associate of 3pedal Mafia, Speedycop, and the Russians.  Maybe even NSF.

We had a doctor racer offer us a prescription for "anything you want" as a bribe one time. This was in Louisiana, of course. Our medication needs were being handled quite well by Drive-Thru Daiquiris, so we passed... but maybe I should have made him write me a prescription for Delysid, so I could frame it in the office.

Judge Phil wrote:

We had a doctor racer offer us a prescription for "anything you want" as a bribe one time.

This was in Louisiana, of course.

http://chzmemebase.files.wordpress.com/2011/06/memes-then-i-was-like.jpg

ALLEGEDLY!

-Dave
Scuderia Ignorante // Modena / Dearborn / Aichi Prefecture / West Texas

30 (edited by tSoG 2012-02-08 02:43 PM)

Spank wrote:

Dont' be a hero.

Fill the prescription...

... especially if you get it less than full retail through your health insurance. And remember, it's a LeMons-related injury. Technically, it came with the car. But you don't need it for the race. So sell the Vicodin on Craigslist and use that money to dump back into the Snipe. Be sure to save your receipts for BS judging, though.

Hmmm. Not sure if you'd get better traction out of them as a bribe, though. After about 4 hours in the penalty box, the justices may want to take a few Vicodin themselves to dull the pain.

best. idea. EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!

I still need to find a doctor who can fill out a written excuse for me at work: "tSoG can't come to work today because racecar."

dead rabbit society: cultured 'n shit.

I did the heat up a needle and stick it through your fingernail last summer.  make sure the needle is hot enough to melt your nail or it will hurt alot.  It does make it feel better, leaves the pressure out.  I needed to do it 3 times, the 2nd and 3rd time i used a razerblade and made a cut in my nail.  It sounds like it would hurt but didnt, i just did it slow and a little at a time.   Just like cutting your fingernails.

You guys are crazy! Ye-ouch!!! 
On a side note, the super-glue works wonders unless you have any allergies to things like latex, then you glue it together and then it swells horribly and you have itchy hives all over your hand, and it sucks!

Putting the "dirty" in Dirty Little Freaks Racing
~stalk us on facebook

less gory, but important all the same. Wear safety glasses, or a face shield when under your damn car. Years back i had a 924S that i was working on. I went under the car to deal with the transmission and didn't put on safety glasses. So of course rust fell on my face. 3 hours later as i'm inside watching TV i notice that my eye lid is irritated. A piece of rust fell into my eye and embedded itself. My eyelid was getting irritated from running over it and scratching.

I couldn't wash or brush it out myself, so to the ER i went. They couldn't brush or wash it out, so out came the numbing drops, then they told me to lie back, pick a point on the ceiling and no matter what happened do not look away from it. They lifted the piece of rust out with the tip of a needle.

I will NEVER go under a car without something protecting my eyes again.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

34 (edited by camaroz1985 2012-02-09 07:23 AM)

Not Lemons related, but I got my thumb caught between a bumper and the end of jack handle. It was the handle of the jack that cut into my thumb.  I was working alone, and despite pulling on my thumb and jack handle I couldn't get free.  So I called for help (luckily I had my cell phone in my pocket, which I normally don't).  By the time the 911 dispatchers transferred my call 3 times the car crushed my thumb enough to rest on the jack stands and I was able to get free.  When it let loose there was a popping noise, and I was sure that was my thumb coming off.

It actually didn't bleed all that much.

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh87/camaroz1985/PIC-0271.jpg

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh87/camaroz1985/PIC-0272.jpg

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh87/camaroz1985/PIC-0273.jpg

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh87/camaroz1985/PIC-0275.jpg

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh87/camaroz1985/PIC-0276.jpg

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh87/camaroz1985/PIC-0277.jpg

No broken bones, just 7 stitches, and a lack of feeling and mobility.  That was 2 years ago, and it still sometimes is a problem.  I'm a little more careful now.

Ryan

Looks Good On Paper Racing
#314 V8 E30 Submarine

Also be careful with the RPM rating on grinder disks.  A guy I know told me about one that exploded and a piece bounced off his chin.  Could have been really bad.  It was rated for ~3500rpm and he put it in an ~11,000 rpm angle grinder.

FastISH and the FURRiest 1991 Volvo 240 wagon
WV 13th, FL 8th (GRM), NJ 8th (B win), WV 4th (B win), NC 14th, NJ 14th, WV 62nd,  NH 17th, NY 54th
2012 Sears Point Outlaw...74th!

36 (edited by Buzz Killington 2012-02-09 09:11 AM)

Yikes.  I almost always wear gloves while working, and while they've saved me from numerous cuts and scrapes, stuff like this is a good reminder that they're not foolproof protection.

Parkwod60 wrote:

Paper towels and electrical tape are the best for dressing fingers and knuckles.  I sliced thru the knuckle on my index finger with a cut off wheel the same way you did your's.

This weekend I pinched my thumb between the transmission and a frame rail on the Parkwood.  It is now so purple and swollen it looks like Little Jack Horner's plum.  And so here's a picture.

http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos- … 9834_n.jpg

I had an index finger nail that got squished (shock absorber top nut wasn't *quite* threaded on, and the whole assembly fell onto the tip of my index finger) between the shock/spring assembly and a suspension arm.  It was a lot blacker than that thumb, and I didn't do anything to it.  It took a month or two, but the whole dried blood/nail conglomeration eventually just grew out.  When the "blood" part started getting to the tip of my finger, that portion of the nail started to fall off, so my nail was pretty short for a while.  But once it all grew out, the finger looked perfectly normal.

mike - Schumacher Taxi Service
12+-time loser
"Winner" - We Got Screwed, NJMP '11

I lost the fingernail to my middle finger on my right hand in some college hijinks 20 years ago (holy crap, it was 20 years ago). It grew back but the damned thing is still not the same as all the others. More brittle, tends to split more, gotta keep it trimmed really short or it's likely to split/break. Life is weird.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

We were working on the 360 just last weekend when my angle grinder wheel exploded and shotgun-blasted the side of Aaron's face. A hot chunk flew inside his ear and cooled off there. He was very matter-of-fact about getting the inside of this ear burned.

The fiber chop saws and 3"+ cutoff wheels are the most dangerous tools ever. I think they are even more dangerous than the drill press, AKA:"Nun-chuck machine", and the plasma cutter, AKA:"eye sparker".

I have deep set eyes, so I ALWAYS get stuff flying under the goggles. After getting my eyeball Dremeled, I've given up on them completely and invest heavily in the full face shield instead.

The Charnal House Geo MetSHO: Turning less laps than a regular Metro, the hard way!

1969 Subaru 360

TheEngineer wrote:

less gory, but important all the same. Wear safety glasses, or a face shield when under your damn car. Years back i had a 924S that i was working on. I went under the car to deal with the transmission and didn't put on safety glasses. So of course rust fell on my face. 3 hours later as i'm inside watching TV i notice that my eye lid is irritated. A piece of rust fell into my eye and embedded itself. My eyelid was getting irritated from running over it and scratching.

I couldn't wash or brush it out myself, so to the ER i went. They couldn't brush or wash it out, so out came the numbing drops, then they told me to lie back, pick a point on the ceiling and no matter what happened do not look away from it. They lifted the piece of rust out with the tip of a needle.

I will NEVER go under a car without something protecting my eyes again.

I learned that lesson before anything nasty happened to my eyes.   However, I did manage to inhale a rust flake that had me coughing for hours.   I've now added some hospital face masks to my took kit.

I'm surprised that neither you nor the ER thought to use a magnet to remove the rust flake.

BTW, my finger seems to be healing OK.   The skin which looked blanched in the original photo has regained its color, and there is just a tiny (pinhead sized) bit of drainage (clear/red) from the wound.   There is no real pain unless I press or stress the wound, so I am not using any pain killers.   I'm one lucky guy.

I'm pleased (yet embarassed) that the moderator has made this a "pinned" topic.   I sincerely hope that it prevents someone from suffering an injury.   As he said, your garage is more dangerous than the track.   Slow down, think, and learn from the mistakes of others.

"I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it!"
IOE winner in the Super Snipe -- Buttonwillow 2012
IOE winner in Super Snipe v2.0 -- Buttonwillow 2016
"Every Super Snipe in Lemons has won an IOE!"

It is rust after all. Not that magnetic. Didn't work for me. They had to pull it off with a Q-tip before dremel. Your eye heals very fast. It was already healed around the metal chip, gripping it. If you guys ever get something stuck in your eye, don't put it off. If you don't remove it quickly, the eye can heal around it. It will rust in there and can give you a crazy eye-losing infection and/or extensive dremeling.

The Charnal House Geo MetSHO: Turning less laps than a regular Metro, the hard way!

1969 Subaru 360

41 (edited by EriktheAwful 2012-02-10 05:35 AM)

I have deep set eyes, so I ALWAYS get stuff flying under the goggles. After getting my eyeball Dremeled, I've given up on them completely and invest heavily in the full face shield instead.

I got a metal shaving in my eye while porting a rotary engine. I had goggles on and it bounced off my cheek into my eyeball. A couple weeks later on a Friday night my eye started itching BAD. My wife (fiancee then) drove me to the emergency room. There was one doc on duty, and all he could do was give me some goop to put in it and tell me to go see an eye doc on Monday. That weekend sucked. Monday my eye was feeling better, and when I saw the doc he saw the rust ring where the metal had been, but the sliver had fallen out on its own. F'n emergency room visit still cost me $300 for a tube of goop and "I can't do anything", and that's WITH insurance.

Crab Spirits wrote:

It is rust after all. Not that magnetic. Didn't work for me. They had to pull it off with a Q-tip before dremel. Your eye heals very fast. It was already healed around the metal chip, gripping it. If you guys ever get something stuck in your eye, don't put it off. If you don't remove it quickly, the eye can heal around it. It will rust in there and can give you a crazy eye-losing infection and/or extensive dremeling.

never thought of a magnet.

I had no idea it was in there till my eyelid got irritated. My eye itself was fine. Went to the ER as soon as i realized i couldn't get it out. Having someone come at your eye with a needle is scary.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

Often you don't know that you have metal in your eye 'til it starts rusting and the irritation starts in.  Takes a day or three to really start itching/burning

-John

Gosh, my business card says 'Tech Tyrant'

I've told the story here before but back in '10 at Capitol Offense I was grinding a new harness bar to fit.  Jeff actually tossed his safety glasses at me and I actually put them on (Im terrible about not wearing them and Jeff is mindful of my safety)  Sadly a little shard still got up inside and bounced off the lens and into my eye.  I didnt relize it had happened and honestly by the next day I just assumed my eye was red from the um...excessive socializing...the night before.  2 days later I was staring at a dremel as it was getting the embedded metal out of my eye.  Full face shields for me now.

http://wartburg.misfittoysracing.com
OTTER: "I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part."
BLUTO: "We're just the guys to do it."

Yeah, I had a wire come off a 4" wire wheel disk and go up under a pair of safety glasses and into my eye.  It happened to hit EXACTLY on a previous incision from a previous eye surgery.  I'm in the operating room under local anesthetic and the surgeon asks me "I can pull the shard out but it will require me going into your eye and pushing it out from the back, or I can leave it there and stitch it closed."  So I have a piece of steel in my eye......  No MRIs for me.

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

not for the feint of heart, or full of stomach:

http://www.gixxer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=242261

i'm not kidding. blood and gore in the first post, you don't even have to scroll.

i'm not sure i'd have the presence of mind to call the EMTs, much less document the event while i was waiting for them.

after the three pieces of metal i've gotten in my eyes, umpteen grinder scars, too many mondays recovering from welding flash burns on my eyes, and the air cutter throwing two disks at me the week before ECR...not much gets to me....

but yeah, that one does.

Team OK-Speed
Regularly losing in Class A
Soon to start losing in Class C

I see gixxer and I'm wondering if that's the guy that amputated his fingers by oiling the chain with the engine running?

I'm not clicking that again, there's enough blood there to make a Mayan high priest blush.

Marc wrote:

I see gixxer and I'm wondering if that's the guy that amputated his fingers by oiling the chain with the engine running?

I'm not clicking that again, there's enough blood there to make a Mayan high priest blush.

yup, that be the one.

anyone thinking about chain driving alternators on radial engines or running bike motors in the passenger seat might do well to keep those pics in mind. i can't even look at my ACE without thinking about them.

Team OK-Speed
Regularly losing in Class A
Soon to start losing in Class C

Thats messed up. Why in the world would you zip off three fingers and think.. I should take some pictures!

Oh wait, can't use this hand. How can I reach that pocket without using bleeding stumps?

Umm, well. I GOTTA take pics.

Nitwits. I can see taking pics once you get into the ER and are at least ensured that there is no more damage being done and danger is minimized but that? Too soon.

Daniel Sycks

He said he was waiting for the ambulance... doesn't seem like an idiot move to me.  So gross, though.

Now I can't stop picturing cleaning a moving chain with a rag.  There's just no safe way to do that, and it makes me cringe.  But it's stuck in there!  Next time I go to clean a chain, I'll probably think "huh, I seem to remember someone talking about doing it with the chain moving ..."

Quad4 CRX - Wartburg 311 - Civic Wagovan - Parnelli Jones Galaxie - LS400 - Lancia MR2 - Boat - Sentra - 56 Ford Victoria
Known Associate of 3pedal Mafia, Speedycop, and the Russians.  Maybe even NSF.