Topic: Jonny and Phil, what is the judiciary view on gauges?

We're building a less poor car for New Orleans.  I have piles of Auto Meter sport comp gauges laying around, but I threw out the equus and sunpro stuff some time ago.  How do I best avoid your wrath, put in the good stuff I have, or go pay actual money for some crap at Harbor Freight?

Property Devaluation Racing

Drivers wanted for TX races

Re: Jonny and Phil, what is the judiciary view on gauges?

Gauges just distract the driver.

Team Oly Express
Current car - 1964.5 Plymouth Barracuda, Former car - Size Does Matter 1967 Plymouth Fury
07 IOE Winner Thunderhill, 12 IOE Winner Sears Pointless
https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Team- … 4609354407

It depends on the general type and/or crapitude of the car. If it's a totally sanitary-looking RX-7 or E30 and/or y'all look like a team full of Smokey Yunicks, your undocumented $70-apiece gauges will arouse suspicion. See, using goodies that you had "just lying around the shop" is a slippery slope, given that so many teams (not mentioning names, but: MIATA) have so many goodies in the shop. Nice gauges don't make you faster, but they do make us more inquisitive about the stuff we can't see. Bribes will definitely help here.

If, however, the car is a '79 Bonneville with plywood doors and a 301 engine running on 6.5 cylinders, expensive gauges won't matter.

Well, this is Brian with the ratty black / black and gold 4 cyl Mustang from the Houston race.  Do you think I'd have the gall to show up with a sanitary "race" car?

The car in question is a 79 Fairmont wagon. 

I'll use what I have, and leave the dust on for effect...

Property Devaluation Racing

Drivers wanted for TX races

btp76 wrote:

Well, this is Brian with the ratty black / black and gold 4 cyl Mustang from the Houston race.  Do you think I'd have the gall to show up with a sanitary "race" car?

The car in question is a 79 Fairmont wagon. 

I'll use what I have, and leave the dust on for effect...

Ah, yes, I remember that Mustang well. Total pile of crap... I mean, excellent Lemons car. If the Fairmont is similar, you'll have no problems. If it's packed full of cheat- as Fox cars so often are- the gauges will be the least of your worries.

We're debating the merits of having instrumentation at all.

Jer / Schumacher Taxi Service
2010 Spring CMP I.O.E. winner
2010 Sebring overall winner
1996 Miata, 1991 BMW E30, 1987 coROLLa (retired), 1984 Citation (retired), 1993 Miata (retired)

It's pretty hard to pay attention to any gauge other than the tach on the track. Lots of teams just rig up a great big oil pressure light and a temperature idiot light  (side marker lights work well).

I've seen teams put an oil pressure idiot light sender on the coolant system (you can tee it off the temp sender if nowhere else), so that they get an idiot light that comes on when cooling system pressure fails (i.e., hole in the radiator, leaky hose, etc). Oil pressure idiot light switches usually activate at <5psi, so a hot engine should have enough pressure to keep the light off if there's no leak.

btp76 wrote:

The car in question is a 79 Fairmont wagon..

Nice, I was wondering how long it'd take for someone to capitalize on the fact that the other Fox bodies can be made to handle well.

Passing C5 Vettes and new BMWs on the road course in my '85 LTD is a ton of fun.

Of course in this series you may in turn be passed by a car shaped like an animal or covered in foil.....

The Homer: Powerful like a gorilla, yet soft and yielding like a Nerf ball.