Topic: Updated R-F Weather (yeah... it's hotter)

Updated forecast for Fernley as of noon on Monday (18 May):

Friday - High 86 / Low 52
Saturday - High 87 / Low 53
Sunday - High  87 / Low 52

Humidity - 51%

Barometer - 30.3 in / holding

Winds NNW at 10 to 15 mph -- possible gusts to 25mph

Oak and Mulberry pollen counts "Very High"

Sunrise: 5:43 am
Sunset: 8:04 pm

New Moon on Saturday, 23 May (no moonlight that night)

"Age only matters if you're a cheese."  Helen Hayes

Re: Updated R-F Weather (yeah... it's hotter)

51% humidity will make it a bit less hellish than expected, but it's gonna feel like 190 degrees inside the car.

Can't say this enough especially to the teams who have never raced/done Lemons before, keep your driver stints short, you don't realize how dehydrated you get.  It's not worth it to save the time when you have a driver out there who makes a mistake.  You will lose A LOT more time talking to Murilee and Co after you hit somebody or run off the track.

Team Oly Express
Current car - 1964.5 Plymouth Barracuda, Former car - Size Does Matter 1967 Plymouth Fury
07 IOE Winner Thunderhill, 12 IOE Winner Sears Pointless
https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Team- … 4609354407

Time to dust off my camelback...

BRING AND WEAR SUNSCREEN! -signed the VERY white guy

As a local (Carson City) I can't second the cautions enough.  Raid your local Costco for water supplies, and your local Wal-Mart for sunscreen.  The race is hitting at arguably only the third high-temp weekend of the season, so even a lot of us locals are being caught by some surprise.  Walking through a couple of pick n' pulls yesterday took a hell of a lot more out of me than I expected.  I'm planning on bringing two cases of water in a cooler I bought just for the weekend, and I'm just a badly out of shape spectator.

MurileeMartin wrote:

51% humidity will make it a bit less hellish than expected, but it's gonna feel like 190 degrees inside the car.

I've had the privilege of driving in various endurance races, including the 24H/Daytona.  I've also driven in the TransAm series with a large and hot V-8 stuffed next to my right ankle.

Judge... you are 100% right about the temperature. 

My crew chief put a pyrometer in the cockpit of our TransAm car at the San Jose Grand Prix in 2006.  The race was 2 hours long and it reached 174 degrees.  I lost 8 pounds that weekend.  I was lucky -- I had started to hydrate myself 2 weeks earlier and had built up a lot of cardio stamina.  After the race, 5 drivers went to the medical center for I.V.s and care.

Two weeks later, we did the same at the Denver GP (5,800 feet in elevation).  181 degrees in the car.

The worst was Las Vegas, running in August (how stupid is that) on the road course inside the big oval.  192 degrees for a 2 hour race.  The drink water was damn near boiling.  The cool suit was worthless after 45 minutes.

The only comment I would make is that I would offer my opinion that higher humidity sucks the energy from you faster than low humidity.  There appears to be a Sierra Nevada-based storm and barometric low-pressure system hovering nearby this week that has raised the humidity level. 

Reno-Fernley is going to test the metal of some drivers.  I just hope that we are all "smart drivers" and know when to end our stints because of fatigue, rather than trying to push through because our timeline isn't over.

Good luck to all -
John

"Age only matters if you're a cheese."  Helen Hayes

Even if the humidity is a Bay Area-like 50% at Reno, everyone is still going to need to drink ridiculous quantities of water. As Jay always says, if you don't have to pee when you get in the car, you haven't had enough water.

I'm so looking forward to our shared ancient three layer insulated suit.  Did I mention shared?

troubleonwheels wrote:

I'm so looking forward to our shared ancient three layer insulated suit.  Did I mention shared?

Ewwww...  Remind me not to stand ANYWHERE near you...

wink

TST, fool.

It's a Bunny.  With a pancake.  On its head.  Really, is it that tough?

troubleonwheels wrote:

I hope you're also sharing underwear and socks.

MurileeMartin wrote:
troubleonwheels wrote:

That can be arranged.

"This is the scene where I get shot," Bronson said. "I have these little squibs that explode to make it look like bullets are hitting." "Fascinating," said Bergman. "I never knew how they did that." "You mean," asked Bronson, "you don't use machine guns in your movies?"

Judge Jonny wrote:
MurileeMartin wrote:
troubleonwheels wrote:

That can be arranged.

Hey, I think we've got some great candidates for the Group Hug penalty. Heh, heh.

You guys better race clean, because we'll be waiting for you in the Penalty Box.

13 (edited by troubleonwheels 2009-05-19 08:04 AM)

MurileeMartin wrote:
Judge Jonny wrote:
MurileeMartin wrote:

That can be arranged.

Hey, I think we've got some great candidates for the Group Hug penalty. Heh, heh.

You guys better race clean, because we'll be waiting for you in the Penalty Box.

This gives me an excelent penalty idea (may be shooting myself in the foot here).

As an alternate to the group hug, have drivers strip off their fire suits and any undershirts, then instead of taping their legs together have them put their arms up over each others necks.  Tape their torso together and wrists in place so the have to do the lap rubbing against each other's sweaty smelly nastyness. 

http://thumbnails.hulu.com/9/45/25704_512x288_generated__pWQQfM2QY0eQFKiy50f3lA.jpg

troubleonwheels wrote:
MurileeMartin wrote:
Judge Jonny wrote:

That can be arranged.

This gives me an excelent penalty idea (may be shooting myself in the foot here).

As an alternate to the group hug, have drivers strip off their fire suits and any undershirts, then instead of taping their legs together have them put their arms up over each others necks.  Tape their torso together and wrists in place so the have to do the lap rubbing against each other's sweaty smelly nastyness. 

http://thumbnails.hulu.com/9/45/25704_5 … 50f3lA.jpg

Yep!
If you don't shoot yourself in the foot, I will!
What are you thinking, don't give them any more ideas.:mad:

Team: V-Ram/Altamont Team: Knights of the Round Track/Reno/Buttonwillow/Thunderhill Team: Death Mobile/Sears 2010/Thunderhill/ChumpCar  Spokane/ MSR Houston/Buttonwillow/Sears. MRolla Project /Reno
http://stickfigureracing.blogspot.com/

Dang, talk about cruel and unusual! I want to spew lunch just thinking about it

You better have 12 undershirts packed Erik... that suit was HOT on Sunday

I hear ringworm is fashionable this time of year.

Stuntman Mike
I Wanna Roc