Re: How we built the 2-stroke Miata.. some pics, links, thoughts and bs

Team Sensory Assault wrote:

I want to publicly retract my comments about there being no such thing as a Miata for Lemons Money.

Found one.  hmm

excellent, cuz ECR needs more miatas.

Team OK-Speed
Regularly losing in Class A
Soon to start losing in Class C

I want to publicly retract my comments about there being no such thing as a Miata for Lemons Money.

Found one.  hmm

You've seen the light have you?    You are forgiven.    Go forth, buy a Miata and drive.

Gosh, my business card says 'Tech Tyrant'

Evil Genius wrote:

Found one.  hmm

You've seen the light have you?    You are forgiven.    Go forth, buy a Miata and drive.

I bought a $250 miata.

Then I came to my senses and sold it for $500, then the wheels and tires for $200 more.

BTW, can someone translate that word in bold above? I keep putting it in google translator, but it's not coming up as anything I understand.

psychoboy wrote:

excellent, cuz ECR needs more miatas.

While I agree with you, it's nothing like out on the west coast. While among 170 cars there are a ton of unique and interesting cars, there were so many BMW's and Miatas that I stopped even trying to count them.

But here's the thing: they all pay their fees, and those fees keep the circus tent up. Not everybody can make Mokes and Donks into race cars. The BMW's and Miatas really help us to have a series in which we can revel in the mechanical creativity of our peers.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

I wasn't kidding. ECR needs more miatas. i want to race people. pointing by half the field and getting pointed by the other half isn't nearly as much fun as wheel to wheeling against a dead even car.

i had more fun with the Boredom Patrol, Miagra, and Nuckin' Futz miatas than i did with most of the rest of the field in december (tho the marlboro BMW and the blue/yellow MkI golf were fun as hell to try to keep up with.

Team OK-Speed
Regularly losing in Class A
Soon to start losing in Class C

One of the nice things about two-strokes is that a fairly rough cylinder finish is good for 'em - makes it hold oil better. On the weak cylinder, just go up an overbore or two and get the bigger piston required. In a kart you change pistons like sparkplugs.

We were on our way to get a $1000 miata we found on CL.   (figured we could part it down to $500 since we weren't keeping the motor or interior) and got a call that it just sold.
Anyhoo, the same $1000 miata showed up the next day on CL as a $1500 miata.   Bummer.

Then, we found another miata for $1000 on CL with a perfect top and interior.   Called for it and someone was already on the way to get that one.   It showed up on CL the next day minus the top and interior bits for $1500.

I'm not all butt-hurted about missing out.    I personally like Miatas and wouldn't mind one to drive around on the street.   But- after careful consideration, the Miata is just a terrible platform for what our team does in Lemons.   Probably a good thing we didn't get a Miata.

Dangerous Banned Technology (NOLA 09), Judges Choice (Houston 2010), Organizers Choice (NOLA 2010), Most Heroic Fix (Dallas 2010), $100 from Jay's Pocket (Dallas 2010), Dangerous Homemade Technology (NOLA 2010), Ununhexium Legends of Lemons Status,  Index of Effluency (Dallas 2011), Most Heroic Fix - (Houston 2011), Index of Effluency (TWS - 2012), Organizers Choice (Dallas 2013)

Well,  Balto made it through another race, albeit with some loss of power.   At first it was one of the fastest cars on track, we were in the hunt for the lead,  Then it all went downhill.  The center connecting rod/piston/bearing failed and we were down to two cylinders.    Then the carburetors started falling off (who knew that 18 year old carb boots would fail under racing conditions?)      With zip tied on carbs we made it to the end and finished 19th...     

More to come...

Evil Genius wrote:

The center connecting rod/piston/bearing failed and we were down to two cylinders.    Then the carburetors started falling off....

At least we can relate to that part of your story.

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

John, what kind of oil do you premix with your fuel?  The exhaust of that car has a very unique smell.
And is there any chance that tallow would work for the premix?  That would smell awesome.

Van

13X losers (or is 14 now?) refusing to learn from our failures.
Organizer's Choice!  Trophy should have a bottle opener on it.

stimpyvan wrote:

John, what kind of oil do you premix with your fuel?  The exhaust of that car has a very unique smell.
And is there any chance that tallow would work for the premix?  That would smell awesome.

Van

Amsoil Interceptor synthetic.   Funny that is smells like Castor oil.. the engineered molecules must be similar.

I believe you can get scented fuel additives for two strokes to make them smell like a sorts of stuff. I know Polaris was looking into them.

Fourteen time loser. You'd think I'd know better by now.

I have some Amsoil Dominator in stock for my Ski-Doo 550 fan (price was right, my local Napa got hosed by a flaky Amsoil dealer, they wanted it gone)...and a ton of Interceptor as well (another local shop hosed by [probably the same] flaky dealer, and I get good oil cheap!). Stuff works great, too bad Amsoil seems almost like Amway.

Yeah, carb boots go to crap quick, especially if you use any fuel with ethanol in it. Seems like every other year I have to swap the boots in my sled (and that's putting 100 feet on my sled last year...no local snow...grrrr). You may want to see if you can get Boyesen Rage Cage or V-Force boots for your engine (metal or plastic instead of ethanol-food rubber, not sure egg-zachary what's available for whaevert you're running in that Me-Otter).

A sled-powered car has so much awesome....

Balto engine failure update:

We finally got around to pulling the Poo motor and found the following:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid= … mp;theater

Dear The Ridge: can we have our connecting rod back?

Piston's broken, cylinder wall's hammered, rod is... gone, crank doesn't look too bad but I'm going to say it is toast, the head might be okay but I wouldn't bet on it, crank cases are obviously hurt.  Good thing we've got a replacement ready to go in, once we re-engineer and re-fabricate the whole damn thing.  Sticking with Polaris would have been too easy.

Scott

Balto needs a new heart.

Evil Genius wrote:

Balto needs a new heart.

Here ya go...http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/mcy/3321583461.html

DauntlessStan wrote:
Evil Genius wrote:

Balto needs a new heart.

Here ya go...http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/mcy/3321583461.html

We already have one, it is one of these:     

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n75/bolin22/DSC00080.jpg

Same power as the Poo motor, but more reliable.

Sweet!!! big_smile

Will the Miata make an appearance at the spring Sonoma race (presuming it's on...)?

DauntlessStan wrote:

Sweet!!! big_smile

Will the Miata make an appearance at the spring Sonoma race (presuming it's on...)?

Most likely, If it doesn't blow up at Chuckwalla.

Balto returns!   

We have a new motor in it and are accepted for Sonoma.

Do you run the stock sled fuel pumps or some sort of electric carb pump?

Evil Genius wrote:

Balto returns!   

February in Sonoma.  Your snow machine motor will feel right at home!

Have you managed to sort out the drive shaft or is that still a failure point?

Van

13X losers (or is 14 now?) refusing to learn from our failures.
Organizer's Choice!  Trophy should have a bottle opener on it.

Evil Genius wrote:

Balto returns!   

Excellente!

December or Feb??

Dudes Ex Machina: https://www.facebook.com/dudesexmachina

?Everyone who has ever built anywhere a 'new heaven' first found the power thereto in his own hell- Frederick Nietzsche

99 (edited by DelinquentRacer 2015-10-14 10:12 AM)

Evil Genius wrote:

Balto returns!   

We... are accepted for Sonoma.

Was there EVER any doubt?

Hurray for Balto!! Lemons needs more 2-strokes.
Now, if I could only find a cheap Evinrude V8.

Capt. Delinquent Racing
RUST-TITE XR4Ti - '21 ARSE-FREEZE-APALOOZA  I Got Screwed
The One & Only Taurus V8 SHO #31(now moved on to another OG Delinquent)
'17 Vodden the Hell - (No) Hope for the Future Award, '08 AMP Survivor, '08 ARSE-FREEZE-APALOOZA Mega-Cheater

Stock fuel pump.

The drive shaft only failed once, and that was because I cleverly added a stress raiser.  The belt failure issue we MAY have solved by a process change.  So far it looks good.

December.

Scott