Topic: What a $400 Miata looks like-

I've owned Miatas over the years and they hold a special place in my heart.  If I was hard pressed to answer the question of what the best car in the world is, Miata (and of course, Jeep Cherokee) would be right at the top of the list.  I've been without one for the last couple years, using a '94 Suzuki Swift GT (1.3 DOHC) as my DD.  Then yesterday, I get a call from a friend of mine who says he found a Miata for me, for $400.  Sold!  Anyway, here's what a Sub-$500 Miata looks like.

Vital stats:  1996 Miata, 1.8 5-spd.  138k miles.  Montego Blue (ugh)

First the bad:

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j160/ixnayxj/Miata/DSC_0355.jpg

Both rear quarters are pretty well rotted through.  You can actually see through to the trunk.  It's also shedding bondo chunks like a snake sloughing its skin:

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j160/ixnayxj/Miata/DSC_0351.jpg

More bad news, the previous owner claims the timing belt has never been changed.  Pretty sure the shocks are original, and the rear is really sketchy.  Bad vibrations over 60, though I'm hoping that's just the shitty bald tires and not suspension damage.  Needs rear brakes.  Seats are torn.  Steering wheel is peeling.  It does have power steering, AND power windows which I'm really bummed about.  Also no A/C, which I actually do like having in convertibles for when you're stuck in traffic.

The good: 

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j160/ixnayxj/Miata/DSC_0353.jpg

From this angle it doesn't look too bad...kinda.  It has a couple year old top that's in decent condition.  Has a decent deck w/ USB input.  I discovered how much of a difference the 4.10s and LSD make, very different handling than my last beater Miata that was open in the rear.  I'm also very impressed how much more pull it has with those gears and with the extra power of the 1.8.  It also has the factory brace between the seat belt towers.  Oh, and it has cruise control, which I really do like.

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j160/ixnayxj/Miata/DSC_0359.jpg

Here's a pile of body work that fell onto the ground when I slammed the trunk lid...and a gift the previous owner left in the center console:

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j160/ixnayxj/Miata/DSC_0358.jpg

I will probably DD it for a while and figure out what to do with it, but I can't help thinking this would be a fun race car.  In the meantime, do any of the Miata teams have any cheap go-fast tips and/or stuff laying around that would work on this car?  Thanks!

-Matt

30 Time Loser with Class C, Index of Effluency, I got Screwed and Heroic Fix Trophies who usually races, according to Car and Driver, The Greatest Road Racing Cherokee in History.

Check out our FB Page and follow our various exploits.

Re: What a $400 Miata looks like-

Is there even room in a miata to use the gift the previous owner left? I guess thats why its still there huh?

Daniel Sycks

dsycks wrote:

I guess thats why its still there huh?

That, and it is a Miata afterall.

30 Time Loser with Class C, Index of Effluency, I got Screwed and Heroic Fix Trophies who usually races, according to Car and Driver, The Greatest Road Racing Cherokee in History.

I think I have both a set of OEM brake rotors (about 30K miles - no track time) and cross-drilled/slotted rotors (about 20K miles - limited track time) from my '99 that will fit a '96.

I also think I still have the OEM shocks and springs plus a lot of the factory intake components but I have no idea if those are backward compatible.

Might still have a K&N filter too.  If you're interested in any of it, let me know.

13X losers (or is 14 now?) refusing to learn from our failures.
Organizer's Choice!  Trophy should have a bottle opener on it.

I'd probably take you up on the rotors at least, I remember how easy it was on my old one to cook the front brakes.  I'll do some research about the shocks/springs, but I'm guessing NB stuff wouldn't fit an NA, if for no other reason the NA is somewhat lighter.

I don't suppose you have a line on some 15" take-offs and/or tires. 

Thanks!

-Matt

6 (edited by Evil Genius 2012-04-09 02:10 PM)

I've never seen a rusty Miata before... wow.      Seriously-  I'd see that car as an drivetrain donor only..   I guess we are somewhat spoiled here....

Gosh, my business card says 'Tech Tyrant'

Gee, thanks John.  I was feeling pretty pleased with my new toy until now.  tongue

Evil Genius wrote:

I've never seen a rusty Miata before... wow.      Seriously-  I'd see that car as an drivetrain donor only..   I guess we are somewhat spoiled here....

I guess so! In Michigan, that would be a 5 yr old car described as "light rust"... My first 10 years started out worse than that (Toyota.VW)... I'd have loved that! I remember getting a scirocco once with no floor on the drivers side... None... Just carpet.. on the way home it was wandering all over because the rear lower control arm was hanging in space... I put my foot on it to hold it still the rest of the way home... Another day, the rear axle ripped completely out after hitting a raised manhole cover ..... Yes, I fixed all that and loved that car!

"Don't mess with Lexas!" LS400. We survived another one! See website link for build details.
Maker of the "unofficial Lemons fish!" - If you ask nice, I'll likely give you one at the track.

Yeah, salt = teh death.  Luckily, and seemingly to everybody's astonishment, NW cars never have rust issues.  It isn't the moisture (which we certainly have plenty of), it's the salt on the roads in winter that kills cars. 

I used to be an auction buyer for a large group of dealerships and would travel the West Coast populating their used car lots.  I would never, ever, ever buy anything further east than Colorado.  Just not worth it.  Luckily, most of the rest of the car seems decent, but I know I'll be breaking bolts the moment I start taking things apart.  A 2 day soak in PB Blaster helps, but it's a bitch.

I still can't believe how much the character of the car is changed with the LSD; combined with bald tires and dead shocks, the thing is very tossable!

-M

You call *that* rust? Hah! I've looked at Miatas around here at a similar price point and they have no less than four times as much visible rust. And I'd still drive them.

11 (edited by stimpyvan 2012-04-09 07:31 PM)

I found the rotors.  Factory rotors are in excellent shape (but they have scared me in the rain).  The cross-drilled rotors have a lot of wear but are probably usable after being turned (they've been hot but I'm pretty sure I never warped them). 

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d75/stimpyvan/2012-04-09190737.jpg

My micrometer isn't handy, so I can't tell you how much material is left on either set.

Either set are yours for the asking.

I don't have extra wheels I'm afraid.

Coincidentally, I also found the A/C system I removed.  Might fit your car if you want a "real" project!

You did get a great deal!  Ignore the California contingent, they are spoilt.

Quad4 CRX - Wartburg 311 - Civic Wagovan - Parnelli Jones Galaxie - LS400 - Lancia MR2 - Boat - Sentra - 56 Ford Victoria
Known Associate of 3pedal Mafia, Speedycop, and the Russians.  Maybe even NSF.

I've got stock 1993 14" "Panasport"-style wheels loaded with brand spanking new 185-60R14 Sumitomo HTR200s.

I think I have a black cloth passenger seat in very good shape, too.  Various interior bits, the usual Spec Miata take-offs.

Scott

14 (edited by Buzz Killington 2012-04-10 03:27 PM)

The NB suspension stuff should fit the NA.  The NB chassis is essentially the same, just updated.  And the NB wasn't much, if any, heavier than the later NAs...not enough to matter, anyway.

mike - Schumacher Taxi Service
12+-time loser
"Winner" - We Got Screwed, NJMP '11

dsycks wrote:

Is there even room in a miata to use the gift the previous owner left? I guess thats why its still there huh?

Where there is a will there is a way!

"She's a brick house" 57th out of 121 and 5th in Class C, There Goes the Neighborhood 2013
"PA Posse" 21st out of 96 and 2nd in Class C, Capitol Offense 2013.
"PA Posse" 29th out of 133 and Class C WINNER, Halloween Hooptiefest 2013
"PA Posse" 33rd out of 151 and 2nd in Class C, The Real Hoopties 2013

racinrob wrote:
dsycks wrote:

Where there is a will there is a way!

One night, many years ago, a cop shined his spotlight on my Triumph TR4, saw what was being attempted, and drove away laughing.   sad

No, I was not successful.   sad

"I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it!"
IOE winner in the Super Snipe -- Buttonwillow 2012
IOE winner in Super Snipe v2.0 -- Buttonwillow 2016
"Every Super Snipe in Lemons has won an IOE!"

I kinda dig the Montego Blue.

My FD is the same color.

Dangerous Banned Technology (NOLA 09), Judges Choice (Houston 2010), Organizers Choice (NOLA 2010), Most Heroic Fix (Dallas 2010), $100 from Jay's Pocket (Dallas 2010), Dangerous Homemade Technology (NOLA 2010), Ununhexium Legends of Lemons Status,  Index of Effluency (Dallas 2011), Most Heroic Fix - (Houston 2011), Index of Effluency (TWS - 2012), Organizers Choice (Dallas 2013)

The NB suspension will fit just fine on the NA.  It will give you slightly more suspension travel and the spring rates are marginally stiffer.

Namco Racing #48 Miata

That looks much better than the $400 Miata that I bought:

http://importsnc.com/forums/members/rmcdaniels-albums-stuff-picture8582-miata2.jpg

Everybody grab your brooms, it's shenanigans!

Cheater

Unless you change the engine-driveline......

Its just TOO Easy......I have said this far too many times.....and probably will continue FOREVER..... 

Miata-E30 (or better than E30) is just too easy

Richard Doty
1984 Porsche 928 "Estate"
Porsche- "there is A substitute" Racing
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

Also, not trying to knock a gift, but be careful with the cross drilled rotors on the track for the Miata.  I have seen way too many of the cross drilled/ slotted rotors fail from cracking at the drill points.  The Wilwood cross drilled rotors are good, but I have yet to see any from them available for the miata in an OEM size.

Namco Racing #48 Miata

22 (edited by stimpyvan 2012-04-11 04:26 PM)

rharris19 wrote:

Also, not trying to knock a gift, but be careful with the cross drilled rotors on the track for the Miata.  I have seen way too many of the cross drilled/ slotted rotors fail from cracking at the drill points.  The Wilwood cross drilled rotors are good, but I have yet to see any from them available for the miata in an OEM size.

I offered these up to Matt because his new Miata doesn't look like it will be seeing the track (sorry Matt!).  At this point, my Miata is pretty much a toy only suitable for track use, and I removed them from the car because they were starting to get a little thin and I didn't want to risk a broken disk (I was measuring disk temps of more than 700 degrees).  That said, I found the OEM rotors to be completely unsuitable for track use (brake fade starting in as little as 4 or 5 laps on a hot day).

For street use, I found the slotting and cross-drilling to help a LOT when driving in the rain versus the OEM rotors.

FWIW, I am now running Disk Brake Australia slotted rotors (in OEM size) and they seem to work well and remain consistent long after the tires start to get greasy.

Brake fade?  That's a little weird.  We hammer the crap out of Spec Miata brakes for hours at a time without any sort of fade issues, and we are required to run the stock stuff.  Even the guys running '99s report no issues.  We do run a little light, though.

The only time we've seen anything like fade it is because of a caliper hanging up.  Symptoms there range from boiled fluid to broken pad backing plates and failed front hubs.

What sort of pads do you run on the track?

Scott

24 (edited by stimpyvan 2012-04-11 05:48 PM)

I don't remember what pads I was running (that was 2 sets of rotors & 5 sets of pads ago). Pacific raceways has two very heavy breaking areas back to back (end of main straight and steep downhill into a hairpin).  That track is notoriously hard on brakes.
Any weight loss my car has had is offset by the supercharger, intercooler, and oil cooler.

I've never broken anything and no reason to believe I have a caliper hanging up.

Stimpy-  I'll gladly take the rotors off your hands, as well as the oem shocks.  Any advice on pads?  I too have run out of brakes on stock Miatas, including last night when the pedal started getting soft on Issaquah-Fall City Road (since you're a local, you might know the road I'm talking about).

At this point the plan is to get the car DD'able, then upgrade gradually.  Already talked with Evil Johnious about his half cage/roll bar set up...definately high up on the list.  Probably just gonna keep it as a fun driver rather than turn it into a race car. 

-M