Re: Pointless Race Analysis

m610 wrote:

It looks like you recovered nicely from a start far back in the field when the green flag dropped. Then there was some trouble at around lap 53 that set you back, after which you slowly worked your way back through the field.

Lap times were better on Sunday than Saturday, which is no doubt true for every team, but then your started dropping off in the end. Mechanical? Lucky to even finish?

It's tough to recover from long periods of time off the track. I'm still looking at our numbers and everything points to the importance of staying out on track, unless you are in the top 10, then staying out on track AND quick laps are important.

We did our lone Saturday driver change and refuel at lap 56.  Penalty at lap 65.  Race was black flagged on lap 66 for us.  Penalty on lap 94.  Ended Saturday at lap 109.  Lone stop on Sunday at lap 185.

Good eye on us tailing off.  We actually tailed off heading into our stop on Sunday in addition to the end of the race.  We barely had enough gas for each of the Sunday stints and deliberately had to slow down at the end of them.  Unfortunately, we're not relatively fast on the track or in the pits.  So the only way to save our position was to go slower. smile We probably lost 15-20 seconds per lap for a combined 20 laps, and we can't refuel that quickly.

I was wondering where your pit stops were. Most people's are around 10-11 minutes, but you had a couple of 12-18 minute stops and a bunch of 6 minute laps. 6 is too short for a pit stop. Maybe for a splash of gas at the pumps, but not fuel and driver change.

Were you with the Sierra Auto Recycler guys?

m610 wrote:

I was wondering where your pit stops were. Most people's are around 10-11 minutes, but you had a couple of 12-18 minute stops and a bunch of 6 minute laps. 6 is too short for a pit stop. Maybe for a splash of gas at the pumps, but not fuel and driver change.

Were you with the Sierra Auto Recycler guys?

Yep, 17:26 on our first driver change & refuel, 15:21 on our other.

Good guess! Their numbers are a lot like ours, but they finished higher.  We were Rotary Rooter, the #5 white-ish RX7.  Hopefully we mostly stayed out of everyone's way.

I remember that car. I think we were trying to stay out of your way.

Your should rename the team "Bladder Control". wink

m610 wrote:

I remember that car. I think we were trying to stay out of your way.

Your should rename the team "Bladder Control". wink

Hmm, I thought it was common practice to just let it go during these races.  lol

BTW, I love the Tinyvette.  My dad had a Manta when I was a kid--we get a charge out of seeing the Opel out on track.