Re: The terrible tow vehicle idea thread

Did some further investigation into the RV and bus route. I can turn a bus into an RV with three guys, a ladder and some paint rollers, and I in fact can keep an RV on my property if I block it off from direct view from all adjacent residential properties. Which I can accomplish by the simple expedient of parking it behind my garage (the house to the right has no view there, the house to the rear is on a commercial farm and as such isn't "residential" - and those people are pricks anyway - the property to the left is nothing but commercial farmland.

You can see it from some non-adjacent properties, but they don't count in the eyes of The Man.

The idea of having 30-40ft of blank bus canvas with which to build something awesome appeals to me in many ways, and finding new and interesting ways to piss off my neighbors without penalty is ALWAYS a plus.

The only practical difficulty with that plan is that getting it into the mouth of the driveway would be a stone cold bitch. I think I'd have to move the mailbox. And getting it into the driveway with a trailer behind it? Even worse. And in both cases, I'd have to back it the whole way down, because there isn't room to actually turn anything of that length around (but there is room to maneuver it into the legal parking hole).

Has anyone actually towed anything with a 10ft overhang behind the axle? It doesn't seem like it would be a very friendly experience, and building a run-in hauler is currently beyond my fabrication abilities.

Driver, Pit Monkey, Rod Buster and Engine Fire Starter
Team FinalGear

27 (edited by Sparky Pete 2012-07-09 08:48 PM)

EyeMWing wrote:

The only practical difficulty with that plan is that getting it into the mouth of the driveway would be a stone cold bitch. I think I'd have to move the mailbox. And getting it into the driveway with a trailer behind it? Even worse. And in both cases, I'd have to back it the whole way down, because there isn't room to actually turn anything of that length around (but there is room to maneuver it into the legal parking hole).

Has anyone actually towed anything with a 10ft overhang behind the axle? It doesn't seem like it would be a very friendly experience, and building a run-in hauler is currently beyond my fabrication abilities.

Front mounted receiver hitch. My Rv has one that was intended to be used for launching boats. Makes parking a trailer a cinch. Just drive it right in. It follows you back out.

Overhang: Again, my RV has a significant overhang and although not nearly a pronounced as a bus, the ratio of wheelbase to rear overhang is probably better in a bus actually. The longer and heavier the vehicle, the more stable they are. Just look at the mega-million dollar bus RVs hauling garages behind them. Driven by blue haired old ladies hauling ass up curvy roads. On cell phones.

We used to tow trailers with old International school buses at a rafting company up in the Sierras, did not seem to be particularly sensitive.even on mountain roads. I doubt you would even know a trailer is there most of the time even with a car on it. You'd get used to any quirks pretty quick.

"Real ZomBees prefer Bacon"
IOE(x2) MGB/SAAB 96, Judge's Choice, Class C Win, & 2011 Hooniverse Car of the Year!
MRolla, Stick Figure/Animal House, Free Range MR2, SAAB Sonett, "The Death Flip"
2008 Exoskeleton Jag Fiasco, Concours d Lemons - Rue Britannia, worse British car.

Jackasic wrote:

...All that being said, i think the ambulances are the way to go if you are set on one...

We had a Ford ambulance chassis with a big custom cab over box on it that we used to tow our hydroplane around the country. International diesel and automatic.
Comfy area up front, couch, TV, fridge, and microwave... Generator (with gas tank), 70 gal race fuel tank, spares and tools in the back.
GVW on the chassis was something like 12,500 but we weighed around 22,000 fully loaded, plus about 4000# of boat and trailer behind.
It ate brakes but other than that it was bullet proof.

LTDScott wrote:

Actually, I noted that diesel was cheaper than gasoline in Buttonwillow near the track last weekend.

Yes, thank god.  I had to use 175 gallons of it to get to Buttonwillow, 2600 miles.

-Matt

30 Time Loser with Class C, Index of Effluency, I got Screwed and Heroic Fix Trophies who usually races, according to Car and Driver, The Greatest Road Racing Cherokee in History.

Check out our FB Page and follow our various exploits.

Jackasic wrote:

I have towed 50k+ miles in my 8.1 (496ci.) with an Allison with nary a problem.  Gets 8 with an enclosed, and 10 with an open trailer, all that an my fuel is 25% less per gallon.  Spank will attest it has some grunt. That doesn't factor in oil change or diesel, lift pumps, turbos, or the other myriad of problems.

+1. When my wife needed a new truck for horse/hay trailer (that I get to use for car hauling duties - BONUS!) we looked at diesels, but the buy-in cost was higher, so to get one in our price range meant a truck that, while having low miles on the engine for a diesel, had anywhere from 40-50k miles more on the chassis than a comparable gas-engined truck. While the V10 Fords can run forever, the trannys in them are a weak point. And the 6.0 GM products also don't have the best trans either, and are usually geared so that they max out at 10,000lbs towing. The solution was an 01 or later GMC product with the 8.1 and the Allison. It took me forever to find one in a SRW/4WD/CC/SB configuration, but it's been great so far in the 3 years we've had it, pulling any and everything we've asked it to. All we've done to it so far, aside from routine maint.,  is a carrier bearing replacement and a new wheel bearing.

Summer's Eve Racing - '09 Yee-Haw; '10 Gator-O-Rama, NorDal Hooptie, Yee-Haw; '11 Gator-O-Rama, NorDal Hooptie (Winner, Class A!)
TARP Racing - '11 Yee-Haw, Heaps; '12 Gator-O-Rama (Winner, Class C ... Looking for a Class B Win to Complete the Trifecta!), Heaps; '13 NorDal Hooptie, Gator-O-Rama

TeamPettyCash wrote:
LTDScott wrote:

Actually, I noted that diesel was cheaper than gasoline in Buttonwillow near the track last weekend.

Yes, thank god.  I had to use 175 gallons of it to get to Buttonwillow, 2600 miles.

-Matt

Holy crap! You're hardcore. I normally don't pay attention to diesel prices, but I had to do a double take when I saw gasoline at $4.xx and diesel at $3.xx. First time I've seen that in ages.

The Homer: Powerful like a gorilla, yet soft and yielding like a Nerf ball.

One note, I just recently sold our truck *96 powerstroke*.  I found some veggie oil on craigslist and ran that in the truck.  literally poured it in the tank and drove down the road. 

This made our 1750 mile trip to TX cost us $175 in fuel.

jiggermyster wrote:
Jackasic wrote:

...All that being said, i think the ambulances are the way to go if you are set on one...

We had a Ford ambulance chassis with a big custom cab over box on it that we used to tow our hydroplane around the country. International diesel and automatic.
Comfy area up front, couch, TV, fridge, and microwave... Generator (with gas tank), 70 gal race fuel tank, spares and tools in the back.
GVW on the chassis was something like 12,500 but we weighed around 22,000 fully loaded, plus about 4000# of boat and trailer behind.

Like this one for sale.

http://www.racingjunk.com/Tow-vehicles/ … RONG-.html

Dudes Ex Machina: https://www.facebook.com/dudesexmachina

?Everyone who has ever built anywhere a 'new heaven' first found the power thereto in his own hell- Frederick Nietzsche

mackwagon wrote:
jiggermyster wrote:
Jackasic wrote:

Like this one for sale.

Rollback <> ambulance.

That said, let's continue the ambulance discussion!

Speedycop/NSF Racing /Pinewood Dirtbags
'10 Summit, CMP3, Autobahn, '11 CMP1, NJMP, CMP2, Summit, G'man, Stafford, Charlotte, Autobahn, ECR '12 CMP1, NJMP, G'man, NHMS1, Summit, CMP2, NHMS2, ECR, '13 CMP1, ECR, Summit, NJMP, THill, CMP2, MSR, NHMS, Sears '14 Barber, Sears1, ECR, CMP1, NJMP1, BWillow, Sebring, CMP2, THill, Sears2, '15 Sears1, Barber, Ridge, THill, '16 Sears1

DC Doug wrote:
mackwagon wrote:
jiggermyster wrote:

Like this one for sale.

Rollback <> ambulance.

Like this one...
Here's the truck after we sold it to another team.
http://www.ulhra.org/photos/hullshots/ul9hullandtrailer.jpg
http://www.ulhra.org/forsale.htm#1991%2 … ote-A-Home

http://stlouis.craigslist.org/cto/3121179837.html

"This is a black 1992 International 7.3 V8 diesel, automatic, 137,xxx miles, black granite floors and a stripper pole in the rear of the bus, JVC head unit with 8 10" MTX subs, carpeted floors, limo bench style seating, black granite counter top with a stainless steel sink. This would be a great party bus or RV and is a must see."

Yes you read right, it has got a stripper pole.

Apocalyptic Racing - Occupy Pit Lane racing
Racing the "Toylet" Toyota Celica powered by Chevrolet Ecotec.
24x Loser with the Celica. 16x loser in other fine machines
Overall winner Gingerman 2019

Brett85p wrote:

"This is a black 1992 International 7.3 V8 diesel, automatic, 137,xxx miles, black granite floors and a stripper pole in the rear of the bus, JVC head unit with 8 10" MTX subs, carpeted floors, limo bench style seating, black granite counter top with a stainless steel sink. This would be a great party bus or RV and is a must see."

Wow(?)  For half the money ($7k) I'll build you a better stripper pole tow vehicle.

'10 Summit, CMP3, Autobahn, '11 CMP1, NJMP, CMP2, Summit, G'man, Stafford, Charlotte, Autobahn, ECR '12 CMP1, NJMP, G'man, NHMS1, Summit, CMP2, NHMS2, ECR, '13 CMP1, ECR, Summit, NJMP, THill, CMP2, MSR, NHMS, Sears '14 Barber, Sears1, ECR, CMP1, NJMP1, BWillow, Sebring, CMP2, THill, Sears2, '15 Sears1, Barber, Ridge, THill, '16 Sears1

Bring a black light and Plan to offer $5K

Brett85p wrote:

LemonAid - Changing kids lives one lap at a time.

DC Doug wrote:

Rollback <> ambulance.

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/ct … 25974.html

Spank wrote:
DC Doug wrote:

Rollback <> ambulance.

OMG!  somebody NEEDS to buy that.   That's freaking awesome!!!

Maximum Effort Motorsports - Mid-engine 1979 Chevette - Class C Winner - GP Du Lac Chargoggagoggmanchauggagoggchaubunagungamaugg
New England Long Winter Build Award - 2015
IOE Winner, Loudon Annoying 2011, Judges Choice - Loudon Annoying 2012
Class C & Least Horrible Yank Tank winner - Boston Tow Party & Overhead Cam Bake 2011

mike944 wrote:
Spank wrote:
DC Doug wrote:

Rollback <> ambulance.

Yeah!  Spank ought to buy that.  smile

-Victor

sublimate wrote:
mike944 wrote:

I always thought an Infinity Loop had no beginning or end.  I'm sure Spank will figure it all out... possibly with a hammer.

DC Doug wrote:
sublimate wrote:
mike944 wrote:

I always thought an Infinity Loop had no beginning or end.  I'm sure Spank will figure it all out... possibly with a hammer.

and zipties

dead rabbit society: cultured 'n shit.

Tony, the silver Vic you bought from me used to tow my 10 second Mustang to the track on an open trailer. You will find the trailer plug in the trunk. Even if you are towing the Vic, you could use a dolly with brakes and be fine. Cheap short term solution.

Captain: Speedycop & The Gang Of Outlaws -'94 Mark VIII (Least Horrible Yank Tank Stafford '09, NOLA '10) '61 Caddy (Org Choice-NL '09) '63 Tbird (EPIC Repair Failure-Gingerman '10, I Got Screwed-Summit Pt '10, I.O.E. WINNER Stafford '10!) '77 Lancia Scorpion (I.O.E. WINNER Joliet 2010!) '67 Galaxie 500 (Judges Choice-CMP '11)
Future Fleet: 1957 Ford Prefect 1942 Buick 1959 Bugeye Project GLCOAT

Maybe I should be putting this in the classifieds but it seems to be in context here:  If you're in Socal and you're interested, we already have a load that needs to make its way to Spank.

1975, 454, TH400. I got 7-10mpg on a recent series of runs.  Runs well except when it's 100degrees out and high altitude, has a vapor lock issue that is being addressed.  Phil mentioned it in one of his recent stories and added a little drama.  It's a pretty good truck for what it is (carb'd big block truck from a bygone era).  It feels very 70s, when I drove it to BFE it seemed like I should have a vintage dragster on the back.  The bonus is that it's smog exempt and parts grow on trees, downside 4.10 gears and single digit mpg.

Adding to the mathematics, you get to decide the merit of buying a flatbed truck vs a vehicle and trailer of some sort. 

Not mine, so I don't know the exact price, probably around 4k.
http://images.thetruthaboutcars.com/2012/07/03-Junkyard-Volkswagen-Rabbit-Crushing-Journey-550x412.jpg
http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2012/0 … sher-food/

Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Speedycop wrote:

Tony, the silver Vic you bought from me used to tow my 10 second Mustang to the track on an open trailer. You will find the trailer plug in the trunk. Even if you are towing the Vic, you could use a dolly with brakes and be fine. Cheap short term solution.

You mean the trailer plug I installed on the Dakota?

The Vic would be a much better choice than the Dakota (more power, torque, heavier frame, more awesome), but the engine is storage-seized and has thus far resisted all chemical assaults (it seems my diesel + ATF baths are finding somewhere to leak to that isn't down into the oil pan and shouldn't be out the exhausts). Pulling the engine and fixing it properly is first on my project list once the garage is done.

Driver, Pit Monkey, Rod Buster and Engine Fire Starter
Team FinalGear

47 (edited by Parkwod60 2012-07-16 07:17 AM)

RichVS wrote:

Maybe I should be putting this in the classifieds but it seems to be in context here:  If you're in Socal and you're interested, we already have a load that needs to make its way to Spank.

1975, 454, TH400. I got 7-10mpg on a recent series of runs.  Runs well except when it's 100degrees out and high altitude, has a vapor lock issue that is being addressed.  Phil mentioned it in one of his recent stories and added a little drama.  It's a pretty good truck for what it is (carb'd big block truck from a bygone era).  It feels very 70s, when I drove it to BFE it seemed like I should have a vintage dragster on the back.  The bonus is that it's smog exempt and parts grow on trees, downside 4.10 gears and single digit mpg.

Adding to the mathematics, you get to decide the merit of buying a flatbed truck vs a vehicle and trailer of some sort. 

Not mine, so I don't know the exact price, probably around 4k.
http://images.thetruthaboutcars.com/2012/07/03-Junkyard-Volkswagen-Rabbit-Crushing-Journey-550x412.jpg
http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2012/0 … sher-food/

All that truck needs is overdrive and it'd e perfect, maybe fix the air conditioning.

Constructor/Owner/Driver - Billy Beer Ford Futura

(Not that I need a tow vehicle, yet, but am I correct in assuming that a 4L80E will go right in a 454 C-30 like that and need some electrickery to operate correctly??)

Tradewinds Tribesmen Racing (The road goes on forever…)
#289 1984 Corvette Z51 #124 1984 944 #110 2002 Passat
Gone but not forgotten, #427-Hong Kong Cavaliers Benz S500
IOE (Humber!) Hell on Wheels (Jaguar)

Type44 wrote:

(Not that I need a tow vehicle, yet, but am I correct in assuming that a 4L80E will go right in a 454 C-30 like that and need some electrickery to operate correctly??)

You are correct.  The trans will need a stand-alone computer.  Or you can upgrade the motor to TBI using a computer that also controled the trans.

Nick
Focke Ewe racing -> Muttonheads! Racing -> Torque Junkies
86ish VW GTI...now with TDI Powah!

"Or you can upgrade the motor to TBI "

I never thought I would see that in a sentence...only in Lemons,