1 (edited by Speedycop 2012-08-06 11:06 AM)

Topic: The newest Speedycop & the Gang Lemons car: Hint, it did 220 MPH new!

http://i822.photobucket.com/albums/zz148/SpeedycopPics/Cessna%20310/cessnablackandwhite.jpg

A Cessna Joins My Lemons Stable

Wait, WHAT?

I’ve had a lot of turrible ideas when it comes to new Lemons race car builds over the last few years. From the pink ‘61 Caddy, to the ultra-rusty ‘63 Thunderbird with BMW V12 (and later BMW turbo diesel) power, to the Pontiac Bonneville “Donk” riding on 22’s, to the pink-flamingo-equipped pop-up camper turned road race car, my teammates are accustomed to my efforts to convince them that, if they will only help me build my newest unlikely relic into some semblance of a race car, Lemons accolades will be rained down upon us. Fourteen builds later, a partial list of the awards we have earned include 4 Index of Effluency‘s, 4.5 Organizer’s Choices, 2 Least Horrible Yank Tanks, an I Got Screwed, an Epic Repair Failure, a Class C victory, and a Judge’s Choice. Boxed nickels, welded scrap trophies, and the admiration of our peers, not to mention the infamy created by internet, newspaper, and magazine articles (and even a few TV spots), have only poured fuel on the creative fires. It’s gotten so bad, I can look at almost anything these days, and think of how I could turn it into a Lemons car.

Enter one very neglected 1957 Cessna 310.

Yes, you read that correctly. A Cessna, as in an actual airplane. Not just any old plane either, a sizeable twin-engine airplane from the fifties, a bygone era predating flight computers for such an aircraft. To fix the mechanical gauges mid-flight, you simply tapped on the glass cover until it produced a reading you agreed with.  These planes are 27 feet in length, with a wingspan of 35 feet, and an empty weight of nearly 3,000 pounds. In other words, most definitely NOT a potential Lemons candidate, right? Well, okay, not in stock form, but then this forlorn-looking relic of aviation’s yesteryear no longer retains all of the accoutrements it was originally built with.  Pesky, minor details have kept it on the ground since I was in diapers (the early seventies, if you must know). Little things like---oh, I don’t know---NO ENGINES, for starters. Then there’s the missing tail section, the damaged wings, and the total lack of seats. No matter how hardcore an aviation buff one might be, this bird is not a viable restoration candidate, short of being the only remaining 310 in existence. It’s not. Believe me. I checked.

No one has ever road raced an airplane before (as far as I know), and for obvious reasons. Some would call it logic, others sanity, still more would say it’s merely a matter of physics that would preclude such an endeavor. Rubbish, I say! Such naysayers would probably rule out the possibility of building a massive wall 2,000 miles long, or a skyscraper 2,700 feet tall, or a ship weighing 657,019 tonnes. These things are never the brainchild of small minds, rather they are the result of men and women who dream big, and who follow through, seemingly against all odds. I'm most definately NOT one of those incredible pioneers. I just like to create wacky Lemons cars, and entertain people.

As a self taught welder/fabricator/mechanic with barely adequate abilities and a creative bent that drives me, I have been incredibly blessed with an understanding wife that tolerates (and sometimes even supports) my wacky ideas, and teammates that are both equally creative and willing to help. What more could a Lemons team need? Oh yeah, that's right---money! When I informed my teammates that I’d found the airplane I’d been searching for at the bargain basement price of two measly grand (it was $3k before we started negotiating), they reminded me that I’d drained their wallets as well as my own with my harebrained Lemons schemes and builds. Running up to six team cars in a single race, and entering races all up and down the east coast, in addition to a few out west, tends to deplete both the extra income, the credit card available balances, and usually even the bill money. I don’t mind being broke as a result of Lemons fun---I’m used to it---but it seems not everyone likes to have debt, or cobwebs in their wallet. Fortunately, I was able to raise some of the money by working overtime this summer, and by recruiting a few of the less financially depleted team members with promises of making road racing history.

But wait, you say! Two grand is four times the amount you are allowed to spend on a Lemons car, and that’s before you even add a suitable drive train or suspension! Sure, that’s true, for your average competitive-on-laps Bavarian or Japanese LeMon. The beauty of racing a gigantic airplane is that, while it will never truly be competitive as a laps contender, the Lemons Judges are not at all concerned with notarized bills of sale and parts receipts. Rather, they demand period-correct flight helmets, and roof-mounted Go Pro’s. Bribes come in the form of brief stints behind the wheel, in lieu of cash, or expensive bottles of single-malt scotch. Yes, the financial waiver has been issued, the blessing to go forth and create that which is unthinkable has been granted from our Lemons overlords, and half of the purchase price has already changed hands. Even the donor vehicle has been procured (more on that later). This insane project is a GO. Tentative launch date is early 2013, most likely at February CMP.

Want to join the insanity? Email me at speedy cop at comcast dot net, and I will fill you in on the specifics. There are two spots left for the maiden flight, and preference will be given to those who are able to help with the construction later this year. Terms are simple: $500 now, to cover some of the up-front costs, and $250 more just before the race. That's it. Non-driver build volunteers will be most welcome!

For the rest of you, keep an eye on www.speedycop.com for updates on this epic build.

-Speedy

Pics, taken today by DC Doug:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/29375858@N … 875123932/

Captain: Speedycop & The Gang Of Outlaws -'94 Mark VIII (Least Horrible Yank Tank Stafford '09, NOLA '10) '61 Caddy (Org Choice-NL '09) '63 Tbird (EPIC Repair Failure-Gingerman '10, I Got Screwed-Summit Pt '10, I.O.E. WINNER Stafford '10!) '77 Lancia Scorpion (I.O.E. WINNER Joliet 2010!) '67 Galaxie 500 (Judges Choice-CMP '11)
Future Fleet: 1957 Ford Prefect 1942 Buick 1959 Bugeye Project GLCOAT

Re: The newest Speedycop & the Gang Lemons car: Hint, it did 220 MPH new!

Pure awesome

Constructor/Owner/Driver - Billy Beer Ford Futura

Ah, we got another Org Choice out of the trailer/bowling alley at CMP Spring 2012... though it was credited to the Parnelli Jones Galaxie in the official points standings (as it should!).

Speedycop/NSF Racing /Pinewood Dirtbags
'10 Summit, CMP3, Autobahn, '11 CMP1, NJMP, CMP2, Summit, G'man, Stafford, Charlotte, Autobahn, ECR '12 CMP1, NJMP, G'man, NHMS1, Summit, CMP2, NHMS2, ECR, '13 CMP1, ECR, Summit, NJMP, THill, CMP2, MSR, NHMS, Sears '14 Barber, Sears1, ECR, CMP1, NJMP1, BWillow, Sebring, CMP2, THill, Sears2, '15 Sears1, Barber, Ridge, THill, '16 Sears1

you fuckers.  kudos.  ( oh, and it's on.  you've tipped your hand).

Rally Baby 87 Audi 4KQ, Audi 90 Quattro Coupe, 1975 Mercedes R107, 87 E30s, E36s, the Whorenet, Rocco...
J. Phil: "Audis Never Win".  He might be right.But!, the K Dominates 2013 NJ and NH (not, but...). 
Stafford 2011 podium, 2nd NJMP 2013, Summit Point 2012 "WV ASSimilation award"
NJMP 2012 Organizer's Choice - R107, 2013 Monticello IOE Whorenet ! Organizers, CMP fall 2013 w/NSF

If ya can't beat us, Mike, you could join us...

Captain: Speedycop & The Gang Of Outlaws -'94 Mark VIII (Least Horrible Yank Tank Stafford '09, NOLA '10) '61 Caddy (Org Choice-NL '09) '63 Tbird (EPIC Repair Failure-Gingerman '10, I Got Screwed-Summit Pt '10, I.O.E. WINNER Stafford '10!) '77 Lancia Scorpion (I.O.E. WINNER Joliet 2010!) '67 Galaxie 500 (Judges Choice-CMP '11)

Mike and crew just might be joining us at CMP... so there.

Speedycop/NSF Racing /Pinewood Dirtbags
'10 Summit, CMP3, Autobahn, '11 CMP1, NJMP, CMP2, Summit, G'man, Stafford, Charlotte, Autobahn, ECR '12 CMP1, NJMP, G'man, NHMS1, Summit, CMP2, NHMS2, ECR, '13 CMP1, ECR, Summit, NJMP, THill, CMP2, MSR, NHMS, Sears '14 Barber, Sears1, ECR, CMP1, NJMP1, BWillow, Sebring, CMP2, THill, Sears2, '15 Sears1, Barber, Ridge, THill, '16 Sears1

yes we might.

Rally Baby 87 Audi 4KQ, Audi 90 Quattro Coupe, 1975 Mercedes R107, 87 E30s, E36s, the Whorenet, Rocco...
J. Phil: "Audis Never Win".  He might be right.But!, the K Dominates 2013 NJ and NH (not, but...). 
NJMP 2012 Organizer's Choice - R107, 2013 Monticello IOE Whorenet ! Organizers, CMP fall 2013 w/NSF

Please keep the landing gear installed

Pit Crew Revenge Racing   Rolling chicanelimo,95Lamdspeeder,Gimp Pimp Cadi,300zx Car show kaboom!! 90 Wagovan, mazda v8 Lemons LOGO TATTOO!  Aces 84 Cadi Eldo Briattz I O E WINNER
Class C win with LemonOdy Cannonball Run Whambulance !EX K Captain
Lemons Trophy Truck ShaGuar Baby!

9 (edited by Speedycop 2012-08-02 07:56 PM)

We can't, Chris. Center of gravity too high, wheels under wings too wide, and gear too fragile, not to mention dry rotted, rusty, and made of unobtanium.

My hope is that I can somehow get a VIN # issued and get a title. I would so love to street this thing!

did you see my posts today about how just a little bit of press got my insurance on the R107 yanked.  good luck.

At first glance, with those pitot tubes sticking out, I saw Me262.

http://www.luftarchiv.de/flugzeuge/messerschmitt/me262.jpg
Any B.O.C. fans in the house?

You could always title it as a Tatra.

Proud supporter of the "Bring A Sterling To Lemons" Foundation

I'll make it to an actual race one of these days.  Until then...

This is truly a golden age.

Former chief proprietor and lead bad idea generator of Binford "More Power" Racing, 2010-2013: humbly self-proclaimed the best Chevy Beretta in Lemons history.

15 (edited by Team Infinniti 2012-08-02 09:42 PM)

Speedycop wrote:

Center of gravity too high, wheels under wings too wide, and gear too fragile, not to mention dry rotted, rusty, and made of unobtanium.

So nothing new.

Homestead Chump 5th-Sebring 6th-PBIR Lemons 9th - Charlotte Chump  CrashnBurn 9th
Sebring 6th again -NOLA Chump 1st -PBIR Chump Trans Fail 16th
Daytona 11th - Sebring 6th - Atlanta Motor Speedway 2nd - Road Atlanta Trans Fail 61st-Road Atlanta 5th
Daytona 13th - Charlotte 9th - Sebring 2nd-Charlotte 25th broken brakes - Road Atlanta 14 10th-Daytona 14  58th- Humid TT 19th Judges' Choice!

I hope you'll be able to use some of the Cessna's gauges when racing.

Note: ME 262 is my favorite airplane of all time.  Usual engine lifetime: 25 hours of use.  Just like Lemons.

OK, I've officially had too much to drink, I'm obviously hallucinating...time for bed.

OHDEARGAWD!!

"Real ZomBees prefer Bacon"
IOE(x2) MGB/SAAB 96, Judge's Choice, Class C Win, & 2011 Hooniverse Car of the Year!
MRolla, Stick Figure/Animal House, Free Range MR2, SAAB Sonett, "The Death Flip"
2008 Exoskeleton Jag Fiasco, Concours d Lemons - Rue Britannia, worse British car.

NO. FAIL. POSSIBLE!

Bloomington, IN
We'll bring Beer!  Motorsports
Team Fiery Death! #0 2009 Lamest Day(65th), 2010 American Irony(24th), 2010 Detroit Bull(4th),2012 Capitol Offense (8th) 2012 American Irony (11 th), 2013 Capitol Offense (3rd) 2013 Chubba Chedder (4th, Judge Choice!) Now sadly part of a scrap pile. 
Toothless Racing Deadbeats #110 2011 Summit Point (61st) Currently being rebuilt into the new car!

Judge Phil wrote:

I hope you'll be able to use some of the Cessna's gauges when racing.

That's been the plan, Phil. Seems the plane's attitude indicator still works! It's sitting lower on the right. I'm keeping this dash intact, except for the center console:

http://i822.photobucket.com/albums/zz148/SpeedycopPics/Cessna%20310/cessnadash.jpg

Hopefully we can get some of the other gauges working. Having your ground speed inidcated by a wind speed meter would be sweet...

That is going to produce the coolest in car(?) video!

Homestead Chump 5th-Sebring 6th-PBIR Lemons 9th - Charlotte Chump  CrashnBurn 9th
Sebring 6th again -NOLA Chump 1st -PBIR Chump Trans Fail 16th
Daytona 11th - Sebring 6th - Atlanta Motor Speedway 2nd - Road Atlanta Trans Fail 61st-Road Atlanta 5th
Daytona 13th - Charlotte 9th - Sebring 2nd-Charlotte 25th broken brakes - Road Atlanta 14 10th-Daytona 14  58th- Humid TT 19th Judges' Choice!

Due to the shape and space constraints, along with the need for a high-mounted driver position to see out of the windshield and still clear the cage/roof, I may have to center-mount the seat. I'll know better when I get it home and clean it out.

Our Lady of Perpetual Downforce may want to get in on this...

Tunachuckers: 15 Years of Effluency
'08 - '10: 1966 Volvo 122, "Charlie"
'10 - '18: 1975 Ford LTD Landau --> 2018 - current: Converted into 1950 "Plymford"
'22 - current: 1967 Volvo 122, "Charlie ]["

I have trouble getting motivated to finish the engine install in my lame Lemons car. 

You make me depressed even more than usual.

Carry on with the good f(l)ight sir!

Ghetto motorsports - Car #555 1980 Mazda RX7 (3x winner of BFE GP / 1x 2nd place of BFE GP...BOO!)
Car #350 78 Chevy Malibu (Least horrible Yank Tank, Heroic Fix) (Gone)
Car # 556 1987 Mazda RX7 (6th place MMC 2013) (1st place Capitol Offense 2013)