Topic: It's mine! Mine, I tell you!

Seeing as how these forums occupy pretty much every spare (and often not-so-spare) moment of my daily existence as "If At First You Don't Secede..." looms on the calendar (next month already! Shite!), I have to wholly give thanks and praise to the Duder who turned me on to dailyturismo.com, for it has led me to my I Ching, my motoring raison d'être, the fullfilment of 25 years of automotive lust:

http://www.dailyturismo.com/2012/08/15k … s.html?m=1

I am pretty much beside myself. It means another toy has to go but it's an absolute no-brainer for this nut. Everyone on these forums gets it, the je ne sais quoi these cars have but, man, it is impossible to get non-believers to turn that corner...except for my wife. She gets it and gets me. Thank you, darling!

Duder from Black Iron Racing: thanks for the heads-up. I'm calling it serendipity.

Now, where is that iPd catalog...

Head of Estate
/) come monday motorsports /)

Kick at the darkness until it bleeds daylight.

Re: It's mine! Mine, I tell you!

Please buy that.

Lorin Mueller
Scuderia Asino formerly Team Haulin' Ass - 83 Plymouth Scamp
Team Soccer Moms - 93 Dodge Caravan

Oh Ghod, I want that!   And it is in my neighborhood.   I just don't have the spare $12,500.   sad

"I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it!"
IOE winner in the Super Snipe -- Buttonwillow 2012
IOE winner in Super Snipe v2.0 -- Buttonwillow 2016
"Every Super Snipe in Lemons has won an IOE!"

Stunning.  I think you can easily sell $12k worth of parts off that to get under budget..

Seriously, I wouldn't mind having that in my garage.  Nicely done!

bs

Omnilith wrote:

Please buy that.

Done.

It arrives next week.

Head of Estate

I love it when people buy their affordable dream cars.

I managed to do that a couple years ago, but sadly it needs a lot of work before it truly achieves dream car status. lol

If curious: http://www.omnilith.net/cortina/pics/al … rtina1.jpg

Lorin Mueller
Scuderia Asino formerly Team Haulin' Ass - 83 Plymouth Scamp
Team Soccer Moms - 93 Dodge Caravan

Omnilith wrote:

I love it when people buy their affordable dream cars.

I managed to do that a couple years ago, but sadly it needs a lot of work before it truly achieves dream car status. lol

If curious: http://www.omnilith.net/cortina/pics/al … rtina1.jpg

Yes! Your Cortina is lust-worthy. To me, more so than anything from the Italian exoticar manufacturers. I know they require some attention but how sweet is it that our dream cars aren't $100k-plus? Down here in SoFla, Gallardos are ignored and SLS are daily sightings. Yawn...

Jamie Kitman has talked about his Cortina over the last several years and it sounds like a truly unique car. I'd love to see yours at some point!

Head of Estate

8 (edited by BlackIronRacing_V 2012-08-06 01:16 PM)

doctordel - send a note with a pic of the car when it arrives to dailyturismo@gmail.com

9 (edited by Duder 2012-08-06 01:28 PM)

Awesome! BlackIronRacing_V and I are the editors of Daily Turismo and I wrote the 1800ES article myself.

Did you find the car via the DeLorean link I posted? I admit I was doing a bit of spamming to see if we could just get some comments and feedback for the site. Didn't expect someone here to buy something we featured, not to mention fulfill a long standing dream. Congrats!

Please do send pics and a short story to the address above when it shows up.

-Chris
El Dorado E36 Lemons Camper @blackironracing
Viccup (P71 x F250) GRM build thread
Volvos & Roadmaster @cflodailyturismo  CFloMoTo

BlackIronRacing_V wrote:

doctordel - send a note with a pic of the car when it arrives to dailyturismo@gmail.com

Will do. It's on the hauler now, headed for me from LA.

Duder, your team's site is pretty cool. It is a regular go-to for me if just to gawk and hot-link surf, bookmarked and visited daily from when you posted the Delorean piece. I wasn't even looking for a car, really. I just liked the site's concept and the name is pretty much perfect for the demo you are trying to reach. The writing is catchy and a little irreverent, sometimes laugh-out-loud funny. In many ways your prose reminds me of Jamie Kitman, Ezra Dyer, John Phillips and P.J. O'Rourke. It obviously is a labor of love and I have (and will continue) to tell as many people as I can about it. I made sure to tell the seller where I found the Volvo so he may contact you; I think he flips cars in the DT genre, from our conversations.

Best of luck, y'all. Hope to meet you at a race soon: look for a 928 that's been converted to a shooting brake. I clearly have a problem with shooting brakes...

Brandt

Head of Estate

I remember the 928 shooting brake from Thunderhill '10 - I was there running the Carpocalypse Now Eagle Talon TSi - talk about a crappy car!

Thanks for the compliments on the writing. I can't take credit for creating the site but I'll do my best to help keep it entertaining.

It would definitely be sweet to see your 1800ES at a race. We have stayed on the west coast so far, and we're talking about possibly taking our Brougham to the Chuckwalla Arse-Freeze-A-Palooza in December. Still a maybe at this point though. Good luck with the Volvo! My wife has a '66 1800S (coupe) and it's a fun little grand tourer...or should I say daily turismo...even in its current spanked condition. 4.56 rear gears help get 'er going with 115hp!

-Chris

Yes, it's certainly now fast by today's standards but it drives exactly as it should. The sound and feel of the four banger seem just right for the size of the 1800es. Now, that being said I won't lie and say I haven't checke out some LS1 conversion stories on the Volvo forums. There is one particularly tasty build going on at swedespeed using the LS1 and some fabricated front and rear ends that just look amazing. I have been poring over my ES for the last several days, now that Isaac has moved on, and have only found a few minor issues to address. I plan on rotating it in as one of my DD, which means I know I'll be looking for more power soon. That's pretty much how things seem to always turn out with my cars...

I sent a pic or two to the DT email so y'all know it's found its new home. I also saw the other Volvo who found a home through y'all so congratulations.

I'll be posting updates on the enevitable mods my ES will be seeing but I plan on keeping the appearance competely stock. It just looks so right exactly how it is.

Head of Estate

*not fast by today's standards

Head of Estate

Awesome - glad to hear you're happy with it and already planning power upgrades. Do you mind if we post the text of your posting here (#12) on DT along with the picture you sent?

-Chris

Wouldn't mind at all.

Head of Estate

Posted - thanks!

-Chris

doctordel wrote:

Yes, it's certainly now fast by today's standards but it drives exactly as it should. The sound and feel of the four banger seem just right for the size of the 1800es. Now, that being said I won't lie and say I haven't checke out some LS1 conversion stories on the Volvo forums. There is one particularly tasty build going on at swedespeed using the LS1 and some fabricated front and rear ends that just look amazing. I have been poring over my ES for the last several days, now that Isaac has moved on, and have only found a few minor issues to address. I plan on rotating it in as one of my DD, which means I know I'll be looking for more power soon. That's pretty much how things seem to always turn out with my cars...

I sent a pic or two to the DT email so y'all know it's found its new home. I also saw the other Volvo who found a home through y'all so congratulations.

I'll be posting updates on the enevitable mods my ES will be seeing but I plan on keeping the appearance competely stock. It just looks so right exactly how it is.

I've owned and modified a few of these...  Engine swaps are horrific, the upper control arm mounts intrude way into the engine space, as does the brake master and booster.  A decent cam, some head work and a modern FI system (Megasquirt) will go a long way to waking it up without breaking the bank.   I even have some parts (cam, etc) that were going into a customer's car that got canceled...      Wiring up the MS is quite simple, you reuse all the hard parts, toss in a later electronic Bosch dizzy and tune it....   Still no rocket, but lively.   

I have it all figured out (including manifolds) to install a straight up 2.3 liter 16v Volvo motor of about 200 hp in one of these.  I figure it could be done for about $3000.   I had it mocked up when the project was unfunded.   

(some people who try to put in later Volvo motors use them at the 20 degree they come at in later cars, I don't think it'll work as the exhaust manifold ends up trying to occupy the same space as the right upper control arm)   

John

Gosh, my business card says 'Tech Tyrant'

Evil Genius wrote:
doctordel wrote:

I've owned and modified a few of these...  Engine swaps are horrific, the upper control arm mounts intrude way into the engine space, as does the brake master and booster.  A decent cam, some head work and a modern FI system (Megasquirt) will go a long way to waking it up without breaking the bank.   I even have some parts (cam, etc) that were going into a customer's car that got canceled...      Wiring up the MS is quite simple, you reuse all the hard parts, toss in a later electronic Bosch dizzy and tune it....   Still no rocket, but lively.   

I have it all figured out (including manifolds) to install a straight up 2.3 liter 16v Volvo motor of about 200 hp in one of these.  I figure it could be done for about $3000.   I had it mocked up when the project was unfunded.   

(some people who try to put in later Volvo motors use them at the 20 degree they come at in later cars, I don't think it'll work as the exhaust manifold ends up trying to occupy the same space as the right upper control arm)   

John

You and I must speak further, sir. After South Fall is run and the landshark is put away for the winter I would like to discuss. The ES is having some rust (surprise!) taken care of at a local fab shop at this moment. I have decided not to even consider the LS1 swap for any number of reasons, one of which being that it just doesn't need that kind of power to be entertaining. Plus the 4cyl soundtrack is absolutely appropriate for this car. The nightmare build process you delineated just reinforces my decision.

You and I have emailed about brakes on the (former) Estate (now Landshark) so I will get in touch with you about the ES, as well. Thanks, John.

Head of Estate