Re: The newest Speedycop & the Gang Lemons car: Hint, it did 220 MPH new!

I will second JayDub on the logbooks.  Although the wings might have salvage value for scrap they, along with controls surfaces and engine cowl covers, look pretty cool when polished up. 

Two gear up landings in the NTSB database for N3sixty-nine3D

http://www.ntsb.gov/aviationquery/brief … &key=0

http://www.ntsb.gov/aviationquery/brief … &key=0

"You can’t make a pig into a race car, but you can make a very fast pig."

77 (edited by stimpyvan 2012-08-08 06:44 AM)

Good thinking to check the NTSB database. 

Jeff, your airplane has kind of an interesting history.  Appears that it may have ended up coming into the possession of the most recent owner when he bought Hyde Field through a hostile takeover.  The plane's certificate actually only just expired last year (FAA N3693D) & it is not identified as "scrap" which is good news should you decide to sell anything from it on the aviation market.

The bad news, if you don't get any maintenance documentation with the plane detailing inspections after the last gear up landing, you are required to disclose that anything you sell was involved in an aircraft "incident" so that a hidden damage inspection can be performed.  With the gear up landings being so long ago, it seems unlikely that the plane was just parked after the second one.

IMO though, a plane that was registered as recently as June 2011 really should have an intact logbook and maintenance history regardless of the plane's condition.

13X losers (or is 14 now?) refusing to learn from our failures.
Organizer's Choice!  Trophy should have a bottle opener on it.

JayDub wrote:

It's not that they need a completely traceable logbook history. That's only for the airframe and the powerplants. But you can't use parts in an aircraft that aren't TSO certified or have that super special government approval number on them. The exceptions being an experimental catagory airplane or one in Sudan.

Not to nitpick or derail this thread into an airworthiness discussion, but that's not exactly true (I've been managing avionics and instrument repair stations for 20+ years). There are many exceptions.  For some people restoring aircraft, some of that ancient instrumentation is worth a bit of money (I had a 2" Attitude Indicator pulled from an SR-71 that a guy paid me $5K for even though it had no certification).  Some people even collect radium dialed instruments (which seems foolish to me).

I might have to come out of my 'semi-retirement' for this one.

El Capitan de los Bastardos De Lemons
1993 Linco Mark Ate
1957 Renault Dauphine
Driver with LemonSpeed's V6 Mustang

stimpyvan wrote:

Good thinking to check the NTSB database. 

Jeff, your airplane has kind of an interesting history.  Appears that it may have ended up coming into the possession of the most recent owner when he bought Hyde Field through a hostile takeover.  The plane's certificate actually only just expired last year (FAA N3693D) & it is not identified as "scrap" which is good news should you decide to sell anything from it on the aviation market.

The bad news, if you don't get any maintenance documentation with the plane detailing inspections after the last gear up landing, you are required to disclose that anything you sell was involved in an aircraft "incident" so that a hidden damage inspection can be performed.  With the gear up landings being so long ago, it seems unlikely that the plane was just parked after the second one.

IMO though, a plane that was registered as recently as June 2011 really should have an intact logbook and maintenance history regardless of the plane's condition.

Wow, great info! Where do you see the record of the two wheels-up landings, and are there dates? Can you post up the details, or email them to me? I'd love to know exactly when this last flew. I live about 5 miles from the airport where this plane is stored. The guy who owns the property directly behind mine has a couple of small planes in his overgrown yard. Turns out his deceased father used to own this 310 (and a bunch of other planes), and lost it to the airfield because of the debts he owed them. It's a small world.

Oh, and I guess it's a '56, not a '57.

Captain: Speedycop & The Gang Of Outlaws -'94 Mark VIII (Least Horrible Yank Tank Stafford '09, NOLA '10) '61 Caddy (Org Choice-NL '09) '63 Tbird (EPIC Repair Failure-Gingerman '10, I Got Screwed-Summit Pt '10, I.O.E. WINNER Stafford '10!) '77 Lancia Scorpion (I.O.E. WINNER Joliet 2010!) '67 Galaxie 500 (Judges Choice-CMP '11)
Future Fleet: 1957 Ford Prefect 1942 Buick 1959 Bugeye Project GLCOAT

81 (edited by stimpyvan 2012-08-08 08:39 AM)

BenzGay's links are to the NTSB data, but this is the info.  First gear up landing was in August of 1965 in Bristol, PA.  NTSB blames it on the pilot for not making sure that the gear was down with a failed generator being a contributing factor.  Two onboard, no injuries.  Appears that it was a charter flight.

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d75/stimpyvan/GearUp1.png

Second incident was December 1967. It appears to be a collapse of the right main gear on touchdown and the NTSB blamed it on damage suffered in the previous gear up landing.  They don't mention the number of hours on the airframe between the two incidents, but presumably this wasn't the first landing the plane had made since the previous incident.  One person onboard, no injuries.  Possbily someone got a screaming deal on a slightly used airplane.
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d75/stimpyvan/GearUp2.png

My assumption would be that whoever repaired the plane after the first gear up landing received a visit from the FAA and NTSB to have their repair and inspection practices reviewed.

Finding the last time it flew is probably going to be more difficult.  I'll see what I can do.

This stuff fascinates me. Thanks!!!

Captain: Speedycop & The Gang Of Outlaws -'94 Mark VIII (Least Horrible Yank Tank Stafford '09, NOLA '10) '61 Caddy (Org Choice-NL '09) '63 Tbird (EPIC Repair Failure-Gingerman '10, I Got Screwed-Summit Pt '10, I.O.E. WINNER Stafford '10!) '77 Lancia Scorpion (I.O.E. WINNER Joliet 2010!) '67 Galaxie 500 (Judges Choice-CMP '11)

stimpyvan wrote:
JayDub wrote:

It's not that they need a completely traceable logbook history. That's only for the airframe and the powerplants. But you can't use parts in an aircraft that aren't TSO certified or have that super special government approval number on them. The exceptions being an experimental catagory airplane or one in Sudan.

Not to nitpick or derail this thread into an airworthiness discussion, but that's not exactly true (I've been managing avionics and instrument repair stations for 20+ years). There are many exceptions.  For some people restoring aircraft, some of that ancient instrumentation is worth a bit of money (I had a 2" Attitude Indicator pulled from an SR-71 that a guy paid me $5K for even though it had no certification).  Some people even collect radium dialed instruments (which seems foolish to me).

I suppose I should have worded it differently. I do know people that collect old instruments. One particularly strange one has a bunch of radium dialed ones too.

But you would know more than I about the nitty gritty of maintenance records. I don't fix them, I just ground them. wink

Yeah; I like Fieros! Sue me!
Salty Thunder Racing
#90 1985 Pontiac Fiero Sport
#63 1988 Pontiac Fiero Coupe

did you know you can google a tail number (N-number) and look up info on the aircraft here is 30 seconds of hard work

http://www.airport-data.com/aircraft/N3639D.html

Manufacturer:    Cessna
Model:    310    Search all Cessna 310
Year built:    1956
Construction Number (C/N):    35339
Aircraft Type:    Fixed wing multi engine
Number of Seats:    5
Number of Engines:    2
Engine Type:    Reciprocating
Engine Manufacturer and Model:    Cont Motor O-470 SERIES
Aircraft
Registration Number:    N3639D
Mode S Code:    51015410
Certification Class:    Standard

Certification Issued:    1996-10-08

Air Worthiness Test:    1960-11-11

Last Action Taken:    2007-10-17

Current Status:    Valid
Owner
Registration Type:    Individual
Address:    Mazomanie, WI 53560
United States
Region:    Great Lakes

hows that for cool?

another site even had an owners name

19-Oct-2007     OLAH, MICHAEL J        DBA        MAZOMANIE WI    
02-Jun-2006     OLAH, MICHAEL J        DBA           WISCONSIN DELLS WI

http://flightaware.com/resources/registration/N3639D

Hey Speedycop! Any thoughts of engine ideas? and are you going to mount the flaps upside down aka "our lady of perpetual downforce"?

Also as a side note... please keep the exhaust in its factory location that would look sweet

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7106/7700610232_086593fc6e_c.jpg

plus the outboard portions of the wings could be used as a horizontal stabilizer
and plywood would make an excellent rudder

sorry last one for awhile

http://images.rcuniverse.com/forum/upfiles/83538/Nl29180.jpg

So, was L27A the code name? Cuz that looks like the 310.

Speedycop wrote:

So, was L27A the code name? Cuz that looks like the 310.

Yeah, the L-27 was the USAF designation for the 310. Same bird.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

a few more bad ideas for you

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3552/3354434490_b19ec5b0d2_z.jpg
http://www.morgan3wheeler.co.uk/mediacentreimages/side.jpg

Looks like Mike Carr of Rally Baby and Alex The Russian of Sputnick Stanza have the final two driver's spots. Congrats!

Hey Sky King -
Such a fine machine cries out for a pair of air-cooled flat sixes - preferably Corvair...

I'm enough of a masochist without trying to do that on top of road racing an airplane.

Two corvair engines/transmissions with a shaft going right through the wing, into a welded diff, then through a regular shaft into the actual diff that drives the rear wheels.

Motors in the motor housings where they belong: check.
Redundant power system: check.
200+hp: check
The sound of twelve half-foot-long individual-cylinder exhaust pipes firing downward: check.
Enough data to make all those gauges actually useful: check.

What's so masochistic about that? It's pure win!

K Car Stalker

Alternatively, Goldwing motors would be just as good if not better - same power, less weight, and they already come with a one-way 90-degree "diff".

Oh, the possibilities...

K Car Stalker

I seriously doubt you could make it roadable with it as wide as the motor pods. Looking at the plans posted above it looks like 11' wide at the outer edges of the motor pods.

Constructor/Owner/Driver - Billy Beer Ford Futura

It needs the wings moved up high so cars pass under the wings. LOL

#3 IROC MAIDEN

Or they were folded up like a navy plane.

#3 IROC MAIDEN

Must have wings and rear stab.  Make it a delta wing.

#3 IROC MAIDEN

firegremlin wrote:

Two corvair engines/transmissions with a shaft going right through the wing, into a welded diff, then through a regular shaft into the actual diff that drives the rear wheels.

Motors in the motor housings where they belong: check.
Redundant power system: check.
200+hp: check
The sound of twelve half-foot-long individual-cylinder exhaust pipes firing downward: check.
Enough data to make all those gauges actually useful: check.

What's so masochistic about that? It's pure win!

Even better, two engines, each controlling their own drive wheel! Skid steer with throttle!

Damn, had I known last week, my father-in-law's Goldwing was just totaled out (EZ-fixer)....

OK, I must go do something useful instead of keeping Pabst in business.