Re: The newest Speedycop & the Gang Lemons car: Hint, it did 220 MPH new!

I could see some sort of Maverick/Goose thing - Top Gun thing going on.

#3 IROC MAIDEN

Parkwod60 wrote:

I seriously doubt you could make it roadable with it as wide as the motor pods. Looking at the plans posted above it looks like 11' wide at the outer edges of the motor pods.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lane#Lane_ … d_capacity

Yeah, that would be cutting it pretty close.

Former chief proprietor and lead bad idea generator of Binford "More Power" Racing, 2010-2013: humbly self-proclaimed the best Chevy Beretta in Lemons history.

Consider this, the original Hummer H1 was only 7' 3" wide and it seemed like it took up an entire lane. I would think that would be the absolute maximum width for something that is planning on driving on a road or racetrack.

Constructor/Owner/Driver - Billy Beer Ford Futura

Again, its gonna get about 18" of wing per side, on a fuselage that's about 55" wide to start with. A bit wide, yes, but only in the middle. With the amount of overhang we'll have on the nose and tail, we need something there anyway to keep drivers away from the swing areas in the turns.

Captain: Speedycop & The Gang Of Outlaws -'94 Mark VIII (Least Horrible Yank Tank Stafford '09, NOLA '10) '61 Caddy (Org Choice-NL '09) '63 Tbird (EPIC Repair Failure-Gingerman '10, I Got Screwed-Summit Pt '10, I.O.E. WINNER Stafford '10!) '77 Lancia Scorpion (I.O.E. WINNER Joliet 2010!) '67 Galaxie 500 (Judges Choice-CMP '11)
Future Fleet: 1957 Ford Prefect 1942 Buick 1959 Bugeye Project GLCOAT

Speedycop wrote:

With the amount of overhang we'll have on the nose and tail, we need something there anyway to keep drivers away from the swing areas in the turns.

Um, er... Consider stretching the wheelbase a bit--- look at it more like Chris O's limo-- to help mitigate potential for overhang swing.

Actually, I think GELCOAT would be a perfect donor base vehicle, no?  wink

Man, this thing is gonna be awesome.

Long wheelbase would ruin the intended look. We'll just try to stay out of the way.

In other news, Mike Carr has come to his senses and realized he can't take a seat in the plane, as much as he wants to. That means one spot is still open!

Captain: Speedycop & The Gang Of Outlaws -'94 Mark VIII (Least Horrible Yank Tank Stafford '09, NOLA '10) '61 Caddy (Org Choice-NL '09) '63 Tbird (EPIC Repair Failure-Gingerman '10, I Got Screwed-Summit Pt '10, I.O.E. WINNER Stafford '10!) '77 Lancia Scorpion (I.O.E. WINNER Joliet 2010!) '67 Galaxie 500 (Judges Choice-CMP '11)

i was bored so started playing with MSPaint again

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y192/dana_h_acdc/Mobile%20Uploads/plane.png
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y192/dana_h_acdc/Mobile%20Uploads/image-3.jpg

Awright, I'm in.

Volvo PV544 (RIP) - now with Chevy 3.9 power!
2007/2012/2013 Driver's Championship (what was I thinking!?) 142 races and counting.
2/25/24

Cool! Guess we are full up again. Anton, I will also shoot you the CMP invite when I get home. I haven't forgotten...

Need actual flight suits? I have a couple veteran ones, tan and green. Useless for actual driving, but cool for costume work. Lemme know evilmental at gmail dot com.

The Other Idiot of Effluencecy

I'm letting you know right now---of course we need the flight suits!

I know a lot of you are hoping for ultra-exotica or raw power for this project. I have decided against it, for a number of reasons, the biggest being reliability, and reduction of red-mistiness. It's not gonna be camper-slow, but it's not gonna be all that fast, either. It's too big, and I'll have too much time and money in it once it hits the track, to risk having it crashed because people got red misty and took chances. I've got almost $2700 into it already, and we haven't even started building! At Loudon, my engine was melted by just such a driver, all concerned about lap times after signing up to drive a slow-but-hella-cool popup camper. The "slow down and stop trying to kill it, we're going for IOE, not laps" talk did no good, he went back out and went even faster, melting the head and deck of the aluminum block 40 minutes into his second stint, without a drop of water left in the engine.

I also want to street the plane, if I can get it titled as a custom built vehicle. My younger brother Sam wants to take it to Burning Man, which means a cross-country drive. He is one of the head guys in that community, and actually leads the building of the burning man structure, and helps run the event. It would need to be pretty reliable and get decent mileage to be driven almost 6,000 miles round trip. My bro is one of the most selfless people I know. He founded Grass Roots United, a relief organization that he is the executive director of, and he spends all his time doing relief work. This is him, in the top photo: http://grassrootsunited.org/about

It will be mid-engined and RWD, but nothing exotic or powerful, at least not for now.

You have a brother that does burning man stuff? ... isn't that equivalent to bringing an F1 driver to Lemons except for IOE instead of for overall distance?

if you want cheap reliable rwd mid engine, i strongly suggest a fwd drivetrain shoved in the back MR2 style. but i may be biased. heck, i'm seriously thinking of retiring our black MR2, it's reliable as the day is long and the proper configuration with great fuel economy (190hp or so, 12mpg when raced, 6 speed manual with a tall 2nd overdrive for getting to burning man). i'd be willing to give you a pretty screaming deal if you use it for this.

113 (edited by Speedycop 2012-08-15 05:19 AM)

A few of you met Sam at Stafford last year. He ran for like an hour, and had the time of his life.

Marc, I appreciate your generous offer. It wouldn't be the first MR2 I've cut down to nothing:
http://murileemartin.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/lemons_lancia_hell-600px-10.jpg

I've already bought the donor car, though. Hmm...

Speedycop wrote:

Marc, I appreciate your generous offer. It wouldn't be the first MR2 I've cut down to nothing:
http://murileemartin.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/lemons_lancia_hell-600px-10.jpg

that car was epic! will that thing come back at some point?

i sent you an e-mail with a bit of further information.

The Lancia is still used often. It ran NJMP, and will run CMP next month.

116 (edited by RogueLeader 2012-08-15 09:42 AM)

I had a real surplus flight suit around when I was a kid that was way big for me (back then).  I MIGHT have sold it at some point but I'll take a look around my folks house and if I can find it its all yours.

Tom Lomino - Proud to be a 23x Lemons Loser, 3x Class B, and 1x IOE Winner!
Craptain, Team Farfrumwinnin - 1995 Volkswagen Golf #14
Click here to "Like" us on Facebook   Click here for our Youtube Videos
Lifetime Achievement (of hopelessness) Award Winners

Speedy, any chance you would be willing to sell the wings?  I have been seriously hankering for a wing or two to use as an awning and these would be perfect.  I'm not sure how we would handle the exchange, though.  How big are they?  Would they strap to the roof of a Volvo wagon?

Quad4 CRX - Wartburg 311 - Civic Wagovan - Parnelli Jones Galaxie - LS400 - Lancia MR2 - Boat - Sentra - 56 Ford Victoria
Known Associate of 3pedal Mafia, Speedycop, and the Russians.  Maybe even NSF.

We're gonna use parts of them. We'll see what's left over after the build.

Needs an air cooled engine.

"You can’t make a pig into a race car, but you can make a very fast pig."

Team BenzGay wrote:

Okay, you make your Benz air cooled and we'll do the same... with our AIRPLANE!

Speedycop/NSF Racing /Pinewood Dirtbags
'10 Summit, CMP3, Autobahn, '11 CMP1, NJMP, CMP2, Summit, G'man, Stafford, Charlotte, Autobahn, ECR '12 CMP1, NJMP, G'man, NHMS1, Summit, CMP2, NHMS2, ECR, '13 CMP1, ECR, Summit, NJMP, THill, CMP2, MSR, NHMS, Sears '14 Barber, Sears1, ECR, CMP1, NJMP1, BWillow, Sebring, CMP2, THill, Sears2, '15 Sears1, Barber, Ridge, THill, '16 Sears1

Speedycop wrote:

Long wheelbase would ruin the intended look. We'll just try to stay out of the way.

In other news, Mike Carr has come to his senses and realized he can't take a seat in the plane, as much as he wants to. That means one spot is still open!

god, I hate it when I come to my senses!

Rally Baby 87 Audi 4KQ, Audi 90 Quattro Coupe, 1975 Mercedes R107, 87 E30s, E36s, the Whorenet, Rocco...
J. Phil: "Audis Never Win".  He might be right.But!, the K Dominates 2013 NJ and NH (not, but...). 
Stafford 2011 podium, 2nd NJMP 2013, Summit Point 2012 "WV ASSimilation award"
NJMP 2012 Organizer's Choice - R107, 2013 Monticello IOE Whorenet ! Organizers, CMP fall 2013 w/NSF

122 (edited by chrisbcritter 2012-08-20 09:28 AM)

The time has come for a meeting of the minds (and a possible match race):

Speedy, meet Jason.
Jason, Meet Speedy.

http://www.warbirdinformationexchange.o … mp;t=46794

This is gonna be good...

dculberson wrote:

Speedy, any chance you would be willing to sell the wings?  I have been seriously hankering for a wing or two to use as an awning and these would be perfect.  I'm not sure how we would handle the exchange, though.  How big are they?  Would they strap to the roof of a Volvo wagon?

No, Make a desk for your home or office. Ultra cool. Check out this site, which turns old airplane parts into furniture. For Big bucks!!!

Lots of cool ideas. Make a couple chairs out of those Engine bays.

http://www.motoart.com/airplane-desks

Dudes Ex Machina: https://www.facebook.com/dudesexmachina

?Everyone who has ever built anywhere a 'new heaven' first found the power thereto in his own hell- Frederick Nietzsche

mackwagon wrote:
dculberson wrote:

No, Make a desk for your home or office. Ultra cool. Check out this site, which turns old airplane parts into furniture. For Big bucks!!!

Lots of cool ideas. Make a couple chairs out of those Engine bays.

http://www.motoart.com/airplane-desks

Yeah, motoart has some awesome stuff.  Also some super cheesy stuff I might like more if I was 13 again.  But the conference tables and such are awesome!

The beauty of aircraft aluminum is that I could use them as a stylish awning for a few years THEN make furniture out of them. :-)

Quad4 CRX - Wartburg 311 - Civic Wagovan - Parnelli Jones Galaxie - LS400 - Lancia MR2 - Boat - Sentra - 56 Ford Victoria
Known Associate of 3pedal Mafia, Speedycop, and the Russians.  Maybe even NSF.

DC Doug wrote:
Team BenzGay wrote:

Okay, you make your Benz air cooled and we'll do the same... with our AIRPLANE!

Tried air cooling, and it threw a rod.

Your AIRPLANE came with air cooled engines, my Benz did not.

"You can’t make a pig into a race car, but you can make a very fast pig."