Re: how to combine the turbine power with the diesel power

no, elvis is not dead, he just went home.

dead rabbit society: cultured 'n shit.

I think that's a great idea!

but i did not even pass remedial bodywork 101. i'm a complete dunce at it. but i've got another project to start working on that. but this car has enough stuff going on, no need to add fancy body work to the list.

i haven't heard back from the snowmobile CVT guys yet. does anyone have any contacts or know names of companies that actually do the manufacturing of them?

Thanks

29 (edited by psychoboy 2012-09-17 07:19 AM)

the pieces aren't too different from the CVTs in the bigger scooters (honda silverwing, specifically), and those are just big brother versions of the smaller scooter  (ruckus, metro) drivetrains.

you might have more luck mining the scooter forums for technology you can steal.

(also, i have a full silverwing drivetrain i can take measurements and photos of if you like)
here's a start if it'll help

Team OK-Speed
Regularly losing in Class A
Soon to start losing in Class C

the problem with the smaller stuff is it's designed for lower horsepower. the snowmobile CVT is the only belt CVT application i've seen able to put up to about 150HP.

i'm not sure if it's just the springs and cams that change or if the belts have to get much bigger? surely they can't get that much bigger since the motor is spinning so fast. the CVT clutch becomes a bit of a bomb at 10k+RPM which many of those engines run.

also, i'm currious to talk technical info with someone so i can see what the rpm stability is like. can that clutch hold a 500rpm range or is it more like a 2000rpm range?

Marc wrote:

i haven't heard back from the snowmobile CVT guys yet. does anyone have any contacts or know names of companies that actually do the manufacturing of them?

Thanks

Have you tried to get a hold of Evil John, Scott ("hoverducky"), and the other folks involved in Balto, the polaris-powered miata?
http://forums.24hoursoflemons.com/viewt … p?id=15354
Almost all of their experience with that car would be a direct drop-in for your application.  Or are they the ones that you're already trying to get a hold of?

2011 LA-#53 300zx, 10 OA/3 B; 2012 RHoNJ-Guest Outlaw! #115 Parnelli Jones Galaxie; LA-#53 300zx, 15 OA/5 B; HH-#53 300zx KERBLOOIE!!!; 2013 TGTN-#53 300zx, 30 OA/4 B; LA-#86 golf, 32 OA/7 B; HH-#53 300zx; 2014 HH-#53 300zx
2017 HH-Squidrope #847 BATMOBILE, 9 laps of DOMINATION then Screwed; 2019 HH-#847 batmobile, 42 OA; 2021 Thompson-#847 batmobile, 12 OA;  HH-got Corked (#491 Miata), 72 OA

32 (edited by psychoboy 2012-09-17 10:46 AM)

the silverwing is a 600cc four-stoke twin that'll go over a hundred miles an hour.... (and that's after the two step gear reduction between the belt and the wheel)

i don't know how much bigger you wanna go with off the shelf bits, but the design is as solid as (as in, nearly identical to, so far as i can tell)  the snowmobile setup.

you can get bigger belts, a machinist could make bigger pulleys.

one could start looking for scrapped Nissan Murano CVT transmissions or Honda civic Hybrids if you needed metal belt stuff.

there are probably also agricultural solutions in the PTO section of your local farm and ranch supply.

Team OK-Speed
Regularly losing in Class A
Soon to start losing in Class C

Out-of-the-sky...

A stripped and lightened Fiat 850 with a pair of turbines driving a diff through a pair of CVT gearboxes can accelerate at over 1m/s with thrust alone (assuming you can get ~100lbs out of each turbine). That means that if you step on it, you'll be doing your minimum 30mph in 10 seconds or so on thrust alone, even assuming that all the extra energy produced by turbines will be eaten up by clutch slip.

I think a lighter (much lighter) chassis and a simpler drivetrain is the ticket. In fact, a single turbine plus a single CVT plus a simple diff will probably do.

K Car Stalker

firegremlin wrote:

Out-of-the-sky...

A stripped and lightened Fiat 850 with a pair of turbines driving a diff through a pair of CVT gearboxes can accelerate at over 1m/s with thrust alone (assuming you can get ~100lbs out of each turbine). That means that if you step on it, you'll be doing your minimum 30mph in 10 seconds or so on thrust alone, even assuming that all the extra energy produced by turbines will be eaten up by clutch slip.

I think a lighter (much lighter) chassis and a simpler drivetrain is the ticket. In fact, a single turbine plus a single CVT plus a simple diff will probably do.

0-30 in 30 in 10s is appalling and impossible to drive on the street. i also do not think i can safely merge into race traffic with that.

the pony motor does not over complicate things. in fact, by using the stock transmission for this car, it places my differential & axles at the exact proper location with no messing around. it presents a shaft that has to go from 0 to 7000RPM depending on the road speed. pretty slick i think.

heck, a future version might have a torque converter there and then the turbine hardware might be able to be used to power from 0mph. but no need for that complication right now.

well, the jet engines are on the way and i want to make sure my current idea is really the best way to do it.

I admit i hate automatic transmissions and i also don't know a whole lot about them. but i also want to make sure i give them a fair chance.

what i did find is that converters can be built with torque ratios in the range of 3.5 or 4:1  which is at least as good as the snowmobile CVT setup. plus i could put a 2nd gear in there which would make it much better.

the part i need to know about is what happens between zero rpm and the stall speed. i can't afford to have much drag at all below my idle RPM.

in this case, the RPMs in question are:
idle: 4200RPM
desired 1:1 ratio: 6000RPM
redline: 7000RPM

so how about it guys, does anyone know enough about converters to tell me if this is possible?

My limited understanding of automagical transmissions is that they use fluid to get the driveshaft end of the converter things spinning until both ends are spinning at about the same RPM - at which point they mesh together.

If you're starting at 4200 RPM, I think that's going to be a hard start on an automatic transmission.

But I am very, very poorly informed on the subject.

A&D: 2011 Autobahn, 2012 Gingerman, 2012 Road America, 2012 Autobahn II, 2013 Gator-O-Rama (True 24!)
Sir Jackie Stewart's Coin Purse Racing
2013 Chubba Cheddar Enduro - Organizer's Choice, 2014 Doing Time in Joliet
http://www.facebook.com/#!/SirJackieSte … urseRacing

37 (edited by Marc 2012-11-01 05:27 AM)

Racin_G73 wrote:

My limited understanding of automagical transmissions is that they use fluid to get the driveshaft end of the converter things spinning until both ends are spinning at about the same RPM - at which point they mesh together.

If you're starting at 4200 RPM, I think that's going to be a hard start on an automatic transmission.

But I am very, very poorly informed on the subject.

right, and i suspect it isn't the right thing for me. but i want to make sure i make an informed decision.

even though it's starting at 4200RPM, it does not have much torque there so it won't hit very hard.

oh, and if i use any automatic, it would be a powerglide transmission. i don't have the length to use any other plus the powerglide has a rear pump to keep everything lubed and allow me to drive the car on the pony motor only when the turbines fail.