Topic: Yellow Flags / Passing the tow truck

Hi All,
Nelson was my first Lemons race, It was "FABULOUS"...But,  Has anyone talked about the Yellow Flags / Passing the tow truck ...Or was all that Normal?

eugene

2 (edited by ninetyfourintegra 2009-10-13 05:05 PM)

Re: Yellow Flags / Passing the tow truck

Please, please PLEASE - - pass the tow truck, wrecker, ambulance!!!

Or at least, accurately and completely document before the race what exactly the flag rules are so we call all at least know when we've messed up.

Near-Orbital Space Monkeys
#528 BMW 528e 121hp Black "Saturn 5" Rocket car with orange foam flames. Sold.
#71 Yellow Fox Mustang. For sale.

That would've been nice to know as a NOOB. Since I didn't know FOR SURE if that was ok, the last thing I was going to do was get black flagged for passing a tow truck/ambulance when I followed one for 1/2 of a caution lap. To the guys behind me....sorry.

I'd add that to the driver's meeting or at least put in the team packet as basic info for the event.

If it's a local yellow, I'll pass the emergency vehicle as it is safe to do so, and not overly quickly.  If it's a full-course yellow, I'm much more reluctant to make that pass.  My logic there is that not having to deal with traffic passing them, the wrecker will get where it's going on track quicker (those guys can drive fast if you'll let them) and get the cause of the full-course yellow taken care of quicker and get us back to RACING sooner if I stay out of their way.  Plus, I like to have a little respect for the folks who put themselves at a higher degree of risk than we racers do and give them room to work safely.

In the grander scheme of things, is getting that extra half-lap in under yellow really that big of a deal?

Lemons South 2008 - Fail, Lemons South Spring 2009 - Fail, Lemons Detroit(ish) 2008 - Fail, Lemons South Fall 2009 - Fail, Lamest Day 2009 - Fail, Miami 2010 (Chump) - 2nd!, Sebring 2010 (Chump) - Fail, Cuba 2010 - Crew Chief, Roebling 2011 (Chump) - 8th!, Sebring 2011(Chump) - 19th!

For god's sake. Pass the tow trucks. These guys have been on hot tracks before. Don't keep them from getting into "pit-in", or blocking them from the incident, but if they're motoring along one side of the track: pass them SAFELY.

Please, please don't hit your brakes when you see a yellow flag unless you're about to hit something. Make sure you don't spin in the vicinity of the incident, but don't get ass-ended (or cause some poor soul to loose it and hit a tire wall... by the bridge... because you've used up his reaction distance) just because someone's trying to tell you it might get tricky up ahead.

Hey, there was a great diversity of driving experience / ability at Nelson Ledges. I'm proud of all of us for not forcing the "organizers" to add the dreaded chicane to the kink. But previous posters are correct; these topics should get highlighted @ the driver's meeting and in print for those that choose to skip the meeting.

I had a blast man!!

Yeah baby!
#47 Impreza:  2009 Lamest Day; 3rd / 2010 Capital Offense; 4th (with a blown head gasket) / 2010 New England something or another; 60 somethingth, f'n wheel bearing / 2010 Lemons Fall South 77th out a 101 - all 10 feet shot off! Then there was Miami...

Nanker Phelge wrote:

these topics should get highlighted @ the driver's meeting and in print for those that choose to skip the meeting.

Maybe all Driver's should attend the MANDATORY Driver's meeting!

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

Nanker Phelge wrote:

For god's sake. Pass the tow trucks.

You say this with great confidence and exasperation, but when one sees their first tow truck how the heck are they supposed to know if you can pass it (under yellow or not under yellow)? Just because you read it on this forum, doesn't mean that it won't be a black flag offense at the next event?

It's like how penguins decide if it's safe to go in the water. They all waddle around on the ice until one falls in. Then they look to see if a sea lion ate him before jumping in themselves.

Or all this ideally would be spelled out in the written rules. Then if it isn't covered (or covered well) during the meeting, it doesn't matter because all drivers are responsible for reading the rules.

FWIW, I did pass the tow truck, but only because the half dozen cars in front of me did too. I don't think I would have if I had been the first car to encounter him and hadn't seen what to do.

OTOH, I also saw cars not yielding to the tow truck, making him wait to pull out into traffic. That doesn't seem right.

Near-Orbital Space Monkeys
#528 BMW 528e 121hp Black "Saturn 5" Rocket car with orange foam flames. Sold.
#71 Yellow Fox Mustang. For sale.

Usually the tow truck driver or passenger waves the cars around him if they want you to pass. But yeah, it would be good to say something about that in the driver's meeting. Or like someone else said, in the team packet you get from Lemons. Nobody wants a black flag because they didn't know the track rules.

SCCA, NASA, hell even NASCAR say it it expected that you will pass a tow truck at a contolled speed.    Yes - Lemons never specifically said one way or the other but then again lots of things in Lemons are left unsaid.   

If it NOT up to you to decide if you should or should not pass. Your experienced fellow competitors are expecting you to pass. By choosing to stop you create a dangerous situation. 

Yes, pass them. Do it slowly. Keep rolling. The wrecker guys expect you to keep rolling too.

Any more questions ?   

Signed Spud

(who has been doing this for 25+ years now in SCCA & IMSA)

Remember, it's never too early to start embellishing the past.

"so there I was, 90mph, sideways on the brink of death ..."

Should/could Friday should be a mandatory driver clinic for non-licensed drivers? Extra $50 or $75. Throw flags, safety crew, etc at you before being thrown to the wolves on Saturday?

We will be providing a Race Instruction class at Thunderhill on Friday at 5:30 to 7.  Location is being set up but it will be at the track.  The class is geared to novice racers and those not familiar with Thunderhill, however all are welcome.  Topics covered will include track etiquette, flags, trouble on the track, flag stations passing methods, how to take turns, danger areas on the track, how to be a faster, safer driver, how to not get black flagged and even safety.    The instructors are all certified instructors and previous Lemons Racers.  Cost is $20/person.
Old Fast Auto Race Team & Sons
Please contact Jim Nix at jrnix@pipeline.com.

Spud wrote:

By choosing to stop you create a dangerous situation. 

Any more questions ?   

Signed Spud

(who has been doing this for 25+ years now in SCCA & IMSA)

LOL I don't think anybody STOPPED when there was a wrecker?!?! That would be retarded unless there was a red flag situation with a nasty pileup or something.

I'm talking of an incident where the tow rig was driving at a full course yellow speed getting to their destination. I watched to see if they would wave me by but when they weren't I knew that I and anyone behind me would easily catch up to the cars in front after they pull off in Oak Tree to help the helpless : )

I was at a vintage event at the Glen where a racer HIT the back end of an ambulance that had an injured driver in it and that was a BIG MESS.  I'll error on the side of caution when I don't know for sure lol.

Either way now more of us know; and knowing is half the battle!

Personally, I feel that a license should be pulled for hitting a safety vehicle.

Problem is that this isn't SCCA, NASA, Koni, etc, $50 gets you a license. Perhaps FC is required when safety rolls? Ala NASCAR?

ribbie78 wrote:

LOL I don't think anybody STOPPED when there was a wrecker?!?! That would be retarded unless there was a red flag situation with a nasty pileup or something.
know for sure lol.

Yep - stopped dead on the back straight sometime between 9:00 PM & 12:00 AM.

I'm surprised you didn't hear me SCREAMING from inside of helmut.  Just glad nobody piled into the back of me.

Remember, it's never too early to start embellishing the past.

"so there I was, 90mph, sideways on the brink of death ..."