Topic: A new chapter begins...

Just sayin'

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o173/cromec/Snapbucket/C8166683.jpg

LemonAid - Changing kids lives one lap at a time.

Re: A new chapter begins...

This outta be good!!

"Real ZomBees prefer Bacon"
IOE(x2) MGB/SAAB 96, Judge's Choice, Class C Win, & 2011 Hooniverse Car of the Year!
MRolla, Stick Figure/Animal House, Free Range MR2, SAAB Sonett, "The Death Flip"
2008 Exoskeleton Jag Fiasco, Concours d Lemons - Rue Britannia, worse British car.

Hopefully a BBC will find its way in there.

Official photographer/Team Police Brutality|Speedycop & the Gang
Lackey-mechanic-whatever/NSF Racing
Sycophant/Judge Phil, Jay Lamm, Kim Harmon
Galaxie Driver/not Parnelli Jones

So... In a Metro... so far...

1)  Front engine, front drive - been done

2)  Rear engine, rear drive - been done (and done really really well)

3)  Front engine - rear drive.... hmmmmmmmmm

Good thing we have a talented fabricator on "retainer"....  It's gonna take some significant modification.  smile

ronman wrote:

Hopefully a BBC will find its way in there.

I love the smell of overkill in the morning smile

Byte Marks Racing - "You knew the job was dangerous when you took it Fred."
1992 Nissan 240SX DM Edition (Drift Master)

You're going to Flintstone it at your next race? That's one way to get even better fuel economy out of a Metro. tongue

Team Final Gear Crew Chief
#138 1997 Pontiac GTP - Supercharged 3800
#42   1999 Ford P71 Crown Vic

60-degree V6!

Former chief proprietor and lead bad idea generator of Binford "More Power" Racing, 2010-2013: humbly self-proclaimed the best Chevy Beretta in Lemons history.

TeamLemon-aid wrote:

So... In a Metro... so far...

1)  Front engine, front drive - been done

2)  Rear engine, rear drive - been done (and done really really well)

3)  Front engine - rear drive.... hmmmmmmmmm

4)  EJ25 - AWD

Good thing we have a talented fabricator on "retainer"....  It's gonna take some significant modification.  smile

You forgot to put the one you are doing cool

Knoxvegas Lowballers  Metro SVT, Multi-Powertrain-Van, The Hooptiecorn
2013 - Heroic Fix, Judge's Choice, Heroic Fix       2014 - IOE,Class-C Win
2015- Judge's Choice, Class B Win,Class A/Overall Win     2016- Org. Choice, B

I found your donor car.

http://www.imcdb.org/i140669.jpg

Eric Rood
Everything Bagel, 24 Hours of Lemons
eric@24hoursoflemons.com

obsolete wrote:

60-degree V6!

+1

If we ever got bumped up to A, I would be trying to figure out how to get a lz9 for Lemons money and get it to work in my car.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

I would say turbo rotary but I'm biased somewhat.  hmm

Dangerous Banned Technology (NOLA 09), Judges Choice (Houston 2010), Organizers Choice (NOLA 2010), Most Heroic Fix (Dallas 2010), $100 from Jay's Pocket (Dallas 2010), Dangerous Homemade Technology (NOLA 2010), Ununhexium Legends of Lemons Status,  Index of Effluency (Dallas 2011), Most Heroic Fix - (Houston 2011), Index of Effluency (TWS - 2012), Organizers Choice (Dallas 2013)

12 (edited by TeamLemon-aid 2012-11-20 08:58 AM)

I wasn't gonna share our plan, but on second thought, this will force us to keep moving onward.

We're expecting to swap a M42 from an early 90's clapped out e36 318is... I know... I know..  Not an exotic or esoteric engine choice. 

Our reasons to choose this engine:

1) We have one.  It's free after parting out an E36.
2) One of our drivers is a 20 year BMW mechanic.
3) We will still be running our E30.  We will use E30 hubs and suspension bits so we can run the same size wheels and tires on both cars.
4) It has 138HP... That's 2.5x what we had before.  Although a V8 would be fun... It wouldn't be practical from a weight or reliability standpoint.
5) It will be a rear-wheel drive setup, which will be FUN!  (not sure that has been done in Lemons with a front-engined Geo Metro)
6) The fabrication to get this engine to mount, tranny to fit, rear end to mount and fit, and car not to twist like a slinky is more than enough challenge
     for our feeble-minded team.  Choosing an engine, electronics, suspension that we know little about would make this project impossible.

Waiting for criticism... wink

13 (edited by gullzjr 2012-11-20 09:18 AM)

this can only be a win win....

BMW's are cheaty fast.....take engine must be cheatonium fast
Current Geo...back to back class C wins.....Must be cheaty
Combine both...
Has to be a cheatonium filled fast as hell death trap.
Love it.

Only inprovement to current plan....fit a 4 barrel holley to it. lol.

Aj

12. Gingerman , Heroic Fix award
10/12 Autobahn, 51st overall.
Team Apocalyptic Racing
1978 Ecotec Celica.

Come on, you need to drop the engine/transaxle out of a '70 Eldorado in that thing. 500 cubic inch front-wheel-drive Metro!

TeamLemon-aid wrote:

A V6 would be an easier fit in that short engine bay, since it's only 3 cylinders deep.  Then you won't end up with a radiator bolted to your front bumper like the Festiva...

A 3.4 or 3.5 would also make a lot more power and doesn't weigh much more than that cast iron 4-cylinder.

Former chief proprietor and lead bad idea generator of Binford "More Power" Racing, 2010-2013: humbly self-proclaimed the best Chevy Beretta in Lemons history.

TeamLemon-aid wrote:

Although a V8 would be fun... It wouldn't be practical from a weight or reliability standpoint.

Booooo sad  Overkill. Overkill.

Judge Phil wrote:

Come on, you need to drop the engine/transaxle out of a '70 Eldorado in that thing. 500 cubic inch front-wheel-drive Metro!

Second that. What is wrong with spinning the rears in every gear yikes

Seems like a good plan. Cannot wait to see it on the track.

Byte Marks Racing - "You knew the job was dangerous when you took it Fred."
1992 Nissan 240SX DM Edition (Drift Master)

obsolete wrote:
TeamLemon-aid wrote:

A V6 would be an easier fit in that short engine bay, since it's only 3 cylinders deep.  Then you won't end up with a radiator bolted to your front bumper like the Festiva...

A 3.4 or 3.5 would also make a lot more power and doesn't weigh much more than that cast iron 4-cylinder.

You do get pretty good at radiator swaps though, on that Festiva.  Two races, two radiator swaps.  I wasn't even really involved in the repair the first time.  But the second one I think we were in for 10 minutes.

A&D: 2011 Autobahn, 2012 Gingerman, 2012 Road America, 2012 Autobahn II, 2013 Gator-O-Rama (True 24!)
Sir Jackie Stewart's Coin Purse Racing
2013 Chubba Cheddar Enduro - Organizer's Choice, 2014 Doing Time in Joliet
http://www.facebook.com/#!/SirJackieSte … urseRacing

18 (edited by therood 2012-11-20 10:41 AM)

Are you sure you don't want to put a BMC B-series motor in there? You'll be increasing the output (by 1.5x or so) and the Effluency in one fell swoop.

http://www.mgexperience.net/article/images/bmc-a-series.jpg

Edit: The M42 is right in the middle of power outputs in crapcan racing. Mated to that light chassis, it should be a rocket if you can keep it going. The entertainment value went way up.

...and a FR conversion hasn't been done yet. Just two different MR approaches.

Eric Rood
eric@24hoursoflemons.com

Has that thing been kicked out of Class C yet?

If so, install something that'll get it back in. big_smile

Lorin Mueller
Scuderia Asino formerly Team Haulin' Ass - 83 Plymouth Scamp
Team Soccer Moms - 93 Dodge Caravan

Omnilith wrote:

Has that thing been kicked out of Class C yet?

If so, install something that'll get it back in. big_smile

Phil put it in B at the last race. I think it's won C every time it's been in it.

Eric Rood
eric@24hoursoflemons.com

TeamLemon-aid wrote:

<SNIP>.
5) It will be a rear-wheel drive setup, which will be FUN!  (not sure that has been done in Lemons with a front-engined Geo Metro)
<SNIP>

Every time I've had the Metrosexuals in my rear-view mirror (while they're setting up the pass), they've always had a smile on their face.  Now that could be some CO poisoning from budget-fitting the 3-cyl exhaust to the 4-banger they're using now, but it could also be they're just laughing their way to yet another event win! 

But yeah, a 472/500 and trans from an Eldo up there, or there's just no challenge.

You can learn a lot from a dummy,
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
ApexVinyl Race Team - 2011 Yee-Haw It's Lemons Texas IOE, 2012 Gater-O-Rama I Got Screwed

Good point on the 6 cylinder vs 4 cylinder Keith.  We do have a M54 lying around.  (220 HP)... But that would just be cheating.  wink

The M42 swap is really within budget, should Phil not like the smell of our metro-covered cheatonium.  Although he could obviously do whatever he wants.

We were booted from Class C.  We only had one dominant win, the other two were come from behind nail biters after the class C leader broke down.

We're in class B.  We were not even close to being competitive as it stands.  Now we will THINK we have a chance.  It'll take several races to get it ironed out.

Again, having a driver who can do BMW engine repairs in the rain, upside down, in the dark and in his sleep makes us favor the M42.  Because it WILL break.  No way around it.
Something will not work.  But this way, we can actually fix it.

We'll be measuring this week.  Then the cutting starts.

therood wrote:

Phil put it in B at the last race. I think it's won C every time it's been in it.

Not EVERY time...  big_smile

Captain: Speedycop & The Gang Of Outlaws -'94 Mark VIII (Least Horrible Yank Tank Stafford '09, NOLA '10) '61 Caddy (Org Choice-NL '09) '63 Tbird (EPIC Repair Failure-Gingerman '10, I Got Screwed-Summit Pt '10, I.O.E. WINNER Stafford '10!) '77 Lancia Scorpion (I.O.E. WINNER Joliet 2010!) '67 Galaxie 500 (Judges Choice-CMP '11)
Future Fleet: 1957 Ford Prefect 1942 Buick 1959 Bugeye Project GLCOAT

Speedycop wrote:
therood wrote:

Not EVERY time...  big_smile

Ok so 3 times and wasn't atleast one of the finishes in the teens overall?

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

obsolete wrote:
TeamLemon-aid wrote:

A V6 would be an easier fit in that short engine bay, since it's only 3 cylinders deep.

Correction: the engine bay is 3 cylinders wide.

Quad4 CRX - Wartburg 311 - Civic Wagovan - Parnelli Jones Galaxie - LS400 - Lancia MR2 - Boat - Sentra - 56 Ford Victoria
Known Associate of 3pedal Mafia, Speedycop, and the Russians.  Maybe even NSF.