Topic: quick questions

After you have been accepted to a race when do you have to have the money for the entry in by.  Second do you have to be a member before entering a race.  Third are Snell 2000 helmets acceptable?

Thanks
Leo Double D Racing

Re: quick questions

Money is normally due about 2 weeks after you've been accepted.

There is no membership so no, if you mean the license that is also no, just pay the fees as part of your dues and the license date starts with your first race.

As for the helmet, per the rules
3.4: Driver's Helmet: Undamaged, full-face Type SA helmet, Snell SA2005 or better, mandatory.

So no.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

Then what is fIA 8860-2000, what does that stand for?

FIA is a different standard.  If your helmet doesn't say fia 8860-2000, then it isn't.

Facebook Page

From what I've read, FIA 8860 spec helmets are similar to Snell SA rated helmets but must be even more resistant to puncture and must withstand an additional impact test. Great for F1 drivers, but unlikely to meet the budgetary needs of those of us racing enclosed crap-cans.

ONSET/Tetanus Racing, est. 2008.
Guest drives: NSF, Rocket Surgery, Property Devaluation, Terminally Confused, Team Sputnik, The Syndicate, Pit Crew Revenge, Spank, Hella Shitty, Sir Jackie Stewart's Coin Purse, Nine Finger Drifters, Salty Thunder, Panting Polar Bear, Vistabeam, Hangar 13, and Escape Velocity.
74 races so far.

Bumping an old thread because my Snell SA2005 helmet will age out next year (I assume).

When will Lemons require SA2010 or newer?  2016 or after that if availability of SA2015 is low?

Does Lemons accept FIA 8860-2004 and 8860-2010 as well as 8860-2000?  Will all three of those standards be accepted for the forseeable future?

Rules are pretty clear so not sure the question:  There is a link at the top of the page for "Prices and Rules"

"3.B.1 Driver's Helmet. Undamaged, full-face Type SA helmet, Snell SA2005 or better, mandatory. Snell SA2010 or higher is a much safer spec than SA2005; after 2015, Snell SA2005 helmets will no longer be accepted. FIA 8860-2000 certification is also acceptable. No open-face or hybrid helmets allowed. Complete, closable, working visors must be intact and in place. Type M (in other words, any motorcycle helmets) and other non-SA helmets not allowed. Don't know if your helmet qualifies? Gently peel back the inner padding to find the Type stamp; if it doesn't have an original, orange-letter, hologram-backed "SA" sticker, you're boned."

both 2010 and FIA 8860-2000 are listed by name.  No matter what, make sure the helmet has no damage including nicks and has an intact certification sticker.

8 (edited by mattp 2015-05-06 05:07 AM)

OnkelUdo wrote:

Rules are pretty clear so not sure the question:  There is a link at the top of the page for "Prices and Rules"

"3.B.1 Driver's Helmet. Undamaged, full-face Type SA helmet, Snell SA2005 or better, mandatory. Snell SA2010 or higher is a much safer spec than SA2005; after 2015, Snell SA2005 helmets will no longer be accepted. FIA 8860-2000 certification is also acceptable. No open-face or hybrid helmets allowed. Complete, closable, working visors must be intact and in place. Type M (in other words, any motorcycle helmets) and other non-SA helmets not allowed. Don't know if your helmet qualifies? Gently peel back the inner padding to find the Type stamp; if it doesn't have an original, orange-letter, hologram-backed "SA" sticker, you're boned."

both 2010 and FIA 8860-2000 are listed by name.  No matter what, make sure the helmet has no damage including nicks and has an intact certification sticker.

The rules do not cover:

A. What is likely to happen at the end of this year when the SA2015 helmets come out with regard to SA2005 helmets.

B.  Any information about the newer FIA standards (8860-2004 & 8860-2010) which are just more recent forms of the one listed in the rules.

It's very clear what is listed as legal now.  I'm trying to get those future answers before purchasing a new helmet later this year.

mattp wrote:

The rules do not cover:

A. What is likely to happen at the end of this year when the SA2015 helmets come out with regard to SA2005 helmets.

B.  Any information about the newer FIA standards (8860-2004 & 8860-2010) which are just more recent forms of the one listed in the rules.

It's very clear what is listed as legal now.  I'm trying to get those future answers before purchasing a new helmet later this year.

That actually helps a lot so I hope I did not sound snarky.

According to earlier posts SA2010 helmets will be legal basically until the year after SA2020 (or whatever becomes the new spec after SA2015) officially become available.  Realistically, most folks do not hold on to a helmet as their primary helmet (though many use it as a spare refueling only helmet) for more than 5 years so you could go with either SA spec and be fine.

For definitive answers on the FIA might email Jay or Evil Genius as it would make sense to add language of "or newer/higher" or whatever for the FIA spec.

Alternatively, an SA2015 is a sure bet though they are currently significantly pricier.

The 2015 rated helmets are not supposed to be on the market until the Fall of this year.  The SA2005 helmets are legal until at least the 2015 helmets are available.

"She's a brick house" 57th out of 121 and 5th in Class C, There Goes the Neighborhood 2013
"PA Posse" 21st out of 96 and 2nd in Class C, Capitol Offense 2013.
"PA Posse" 29th out of 133 and Class C WINNER, Halloween Hooptiefest 2013
"PA Posse" 33rd out of 151 and 2nd in Class C, The Real Hoopties 2013

11 (edited by billybobster 2015-05-06 08:48 AM)

As racinrob says, the SA2015 helmets won't be available (in theory) until 10/1/15.

From the Snell Foundation (http://www.smf.org/standards/sa/2015/SA … eNotes.pdf) "SA2015 Certified helmets will not be available for sale until October 1, 2015, when the standard takes effect."

As I recall, when the SA2010's came out, they came out slowly/delayed from some manufacturers. Sanctioning bodies are not made of stone, and (as I recall) they gave some leeway on when the SA2000's became non-compliant.

Also, in checking for helmet damage, it is important to check the inner styrofoam-ish inner helmet. That does the work on energy absorption during a crash. If it's damaged, it's toast and new helmet time. Or if it's even been in a crash and looks OK, it still should be replaced.

25X Loser - Delinquent Racing - '86 Rust-Tite Merkur - 9 years (when do I get to stop?).

FYI:

Heard back from Jay, SA2005 will not be legal for next season (2016).

Mostly I've been shopping lighter helmets (some of which are dual labeled Snell SA2010 and FIA 8860-2010) and trying to figure out how long these will be legal.

If it was next year, it'd be easy: buy a SA2015 and be done with it.

Every race organization I've seen accept the current SA helmet plus 1 version back, which is why SA2010 and sa2005 are currently accepted.  I don't beleive any are currently looking to change that system either.  If you are looking for a way to save money  you may want to wait until the SA2015 hit the market or right before they do, you will probably start seeing a lot of SA2010 dropping in price as they try to get rid of the old helmets since they are not going to be desirable anymore.  SA2005 I would stay away from because you just aren't going to get a lot of racing out of it unless you plan to use it for other things like fueling or as a motorcycle helmet or something.

Facebook Page

10 years of applicability.

Dudes Ex Machina: https://www.facebook.com/dudesexmachina

?Everyone who has ever built anywhere a 'new heaven' first found the power thereto in his own hell- Frederick Nietzsche

So I still have 3 years until I need to worry about a new helmet? (2021 season would preclude my current SA2010)

I am still considering if I can get a newer helmet with a ventilation port, but might wait

-Robert, Party Sheep Racing
The Jerry Lundegaard GMAC Financing Award, Joliet 2013 [Cutlass Ciera w/ Iron Duke]
Eta E30: IL Fall '15, MI Spring '16, IL Summer '16, MI Spring '17, KY '17, MI Summer '21, KY '21, MI Summer '21, MI Fall '22