Topic: People's Curse: Failure to turn in ballot counts as a "No Curse" vote

Some of you suggested this idea after the Nelson Ledges People's Curse fiasco (in which the "winner" of the Curse vote got something like 9 votes) and the CMP People's Curse fiasco (in which the #1 and #2 vote-getters were the cars in first and second place in the standings), and Great Helmsman Jay has made it law: Abstention counts as a "Nobody Deserves The Curse" vote. That means if we've got 120 teams and no team gets at least 61 votes... breathe a sigh of relief if you're the jerkoffs who were blasting the train horn at 3:00 AM!

However, in the event of a "No Curse" voting result, we'll seek out volunteers who have a vehicle they'd like to see destroyed, so we can still participate in wanton destruction, etc. There were no volunteers at MSR, but we had three at the last CMP race.

Re: People's Curse: Failure to turn in ballot counts as a "No Curse" vote

And there was much rejoicing.

Lemons South 2008 - Fail, Lemons South Spring 2009 - Fail, Lemons Detroit(ish) 2008 - Fail, Lemons South Fall 2009 - Fail, Lamest Day 2009 - Fail, Miami 2010 (Chump) - 2nd!, Sebring 2010 (Chump) - Fail, Cuba 2010 - Crew Chief, Roebling 2011 (Chump) - 8th!, Sebring 2011(Chump) - 19th!

So Jay is listening....sometimes?

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

Not only did we run the largest Lemons field ever, no one got Cursed.  See, that's Southern hospitality. 

Some folks need to work on their wake-up call etiquette though.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

5 (edited by MikeLSU 2009-10-26 09:24 AM)

There was a REALLY good candidate this weekend. Check the time sheets to see who. They were obvious cheaters but they passed more intelligently than the other break neck speed teams so maybe this is why they got by without a visit to the crusher. The black flag found them several times.

Hats off to the winner and the gorgeous GT500 Supra in 2nd.

Team Apex Vinyl, driving then drinking
#163 Isuzu impulse
We save money by only using 3 tires in the corners

This is great news!  Thanks for listening Jay.

BRE Datsun (Broke Racing Effluence) formerly Dawn of the Zed Racing
'74 260Z
Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/editpicture.php … 2559430584

MurileeMartin wrote:

That means if we've got 120 teams and no team gets at least 61 votes... breathe a sigh of relief if you're the jerkoffs who were blasting the train horn at 3:00 AM!

so if you have 2 huge a-hole teams, one gets 59 votes, one gets 58 votes and there are 3 abstentions, that means no one gets the crush?

i'd say if 59 votes for a team and 61 abstentions, ok no curse, but...

then again, i just follow the rules, not make them, so be it

+1 to the "no one deserves the curse" due to lack of ballots turned in.

though it could be more refined to say atleast half the field submits a vote.

then a curse can be dealt out but in a lesser fashsion.

kinda like "rubber biscuit" at flat rock or the team that had trans swapped p71(5spd) that you guy removed some non-essential hardware from the car and sent them back on their marry way. (removed, hood, trunk, and doors)

Groovey!  I love the new curse rules and lets hope that teams keep driving well so that the issue stay put now.

Team Sucker Punch: Winner Class B Doing Time at Joliet 2023 Autobahn ,Winner Org Choice award Were the Elite Meet to Cheat 2015
Chevy Camaro (Tiger striped #38)  (1989-2017 RIP old friend)
Chevy Corvette 1984......and still racing!

10 (edited by EvergreenDan 2009-10-26 11:14 AM)

MurileeMartin wrote:

That means if we've got 120 teams and no team gets at least 61 votes... breathe a sigh of relief ....

Fixed:

That means if we've got 120 teams and 61 teams abstain or vote no curse... breathe a sigh of relief ....

You could still have a team with 9 votes get cursed if everyone voted and the rest of the votes were spread around with no one else getting more than 9. Very unlikely.

I would venture that there will be enough people who simply screw up and don't vote that there won't be any more curses unless a single team stands out as horrible and there is an organized effort in the paddock to vote them. For example, with 120 teams, maybe get 30 teams to vote for the bad boys/girls and get at least 61 teams to vote for various other teams. That sounds pretty hard to make happen without effort.

(That said, I'm still in favor of the change because otherwise the natural racer laziness can lead to Dragongate.)

Near-Orbital Space Monkeys
#528 BMW 528e 121hp Black "Saturn 5" Rocket car with orange foam flames. Sold.
#71 Yellow Fox Mustang. For sale.

EvergreenDan wrote:
MurileeMartin wrote:

That means if we've got 120 teams and no team gets at least 61 votes... breathe a sigh of relief ....

Fixed:

That means if we've got 120 teams and 61 teams abstain or vote no curse... breathe a sigh of relief ....

You could still have a team with 9 votes get cursed if everyone voted and the rest of the votes were spread around with no one else getting more than 9. Very unlikely.

I would venture that there will be enough people who simply screw up and don't vote that there won't be any more curses unless a single team stands out as horrible and there is an organized effort in the paddock to vote them. For example, with 120 teams, maybe get 30 teams to vote for the bad boys/girls and get at least 61 teams to vote for various other teams. That sounds pretty hard to make happen without effort.

(That said, I'm still in favor of the change because otherwise the natural racer laziness can lead to Dragongate.)

yeah, I like the wording of this best when it comes to the curse. I remember CMP spring 09 where the Superkak mustang got over 30 votes, and based on numbers, im sure that quite a few didn't vote, but in most people's eyes, mob justice won the day.

just sayin. Half the field abstains could be 20% "no curse" and 30% "We were too busy wrenching on this pile to remember" so 20% of the remaining votes should still = curse.

pretty much means that at least 1/4th of the paddock totally thinks you suck and wants you gone would be successful.

EvergreenDan wrote:
MurileeMartin wrote:

Fixed:

True, but that won't happen. Whenever there's been a legit Curse candidate, that team gets a landslide of votes. When nobody really stands out, most teams will just abstain.

Honestly, the curse winner is a huge draw for the spectators.  It's a great promotional tool too (from my experience).

Hopefully this isn't a phasing out of one of the more unique experiences at a Lemons race.

The Cannonball Bandits | Facebook Fan Page | Unununium Medal Winners 2010
3X Organizer's Choice Winner 2010 - Sears Pointless, Goin' For Broken, Arse Sweat-A-Palooza
1X Organizer's Choice Winner 2011 - Arse Sweat-A-Palooza

I think the next event I attend I'm going to bring myself a huge bag of dimes (weigh less than nickels and are worth more, pound-for-pound) and try to buy at least 50% of the curse ballots and make sure they get submitted just so I can see a car crushed.

--Spank

Perhaps The Curse could become the final flourish for the most hopeless DNF'er?

Look, I drove all over creation (OK fine -- all over the impossibly maze-like MSR Paddock) and asked every team I saw with a busted car if we could crush it.

As the Kid in Unforgiven said, even the saddest head-gasketed, burnt-bearing'd, rod knocked the fuck out, busted tranny'd teams were holding on to their shit(ty car) like it was (worth) money.

So... stop complaining.

"This is the scene where I get shot," Bronson said. "I have these little squibs that explode to make it look like bullets are hitting." "Fascinating," said Bergman. "I never knew how they did that." "You mean," asked Bronson, "you don't use machine guns in your movies?"

MurileeMartin wrote:
EvergreenDan wrote:
MurileeMartin wrote:

Fixed:

True, but that won't happen. Whenever there's been a legit Curse candidate, that team gets a landslide of votes. When nobody really stands out, most teams will just abstain.

But in that case, I don't think the math will work out.  Because, like you said, it would take an overwhelming number of votes to be cast for one car.  I like this way of doing things, but if each non-vote counted for a half vote or a third vote, an offending team would 'only' need 30 or so votes and not 60 to beat the non-voters.  Not unreasonable if they were being asshats.

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

Judge Jonny wrote:

As the Kid in Unforgiven said, even the saddest head-gasketed, burnt-bearing'd, rod knocked the fuck out, busted tranny'd teams were holding on to their shit(ty car) like it was (worth) money.

Damn straight...  It's like an old dog you hate to put down, even though it's blind, can't walk, and needs to be spoonfed three times a day.  It hurts to watch 'em go.

It's better if it gets rabies and you need to shoot it.

The Cannonball Bandits | Facebook Fan Page | Unununium Medal Winners 2010
3X Organizer's Choice Winner 2010 - Sears Pointless, Goin' For Broken, Arse Sweat-A-Palooza
1X Organizer's Choice Winner 2011 - Arse Sweat-A-Palooza

Spank wrote:

I think the next event I attend I'm going to bring myself a huge bag of dimes (weigh less than nickels and are worth more, pound-for-pound) and try to buy at least 50% of the curse ballots and make sure they get submitted just so I can see a car crushed.

--Spank

If your so damn hell bent on seeing a car get cursed, why don't you take your bag of Dimes and bring a Sacrificial Lamm of your own.

Judge Jonny wrote:

Look, I drove all over creation (OK fine -- all over the impossibly maze-like MSR Paddock) and asked every team I saw with a busted car if we could crush it.

MSR's paddock is a total cluster.  Especially when you pile in 130+ teams.

Had the Mini or Hennessey POS not been exempt, one of them probably would have gotten it.  The XR4Ti speaks volumes for their Tuner School.  The Mini guys were cool and they didn't even run well.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

The Mini guys were rad and running a very close second to #6 for Judges Choice.

However, team #6 and their yellow, C02-powered boat horned RX7 had to win because between the three of them they are close to twenty feet tall and 100 IQ points.

"This is the scene where I get shot," Bronson said. "I have these little squibs that explode to make it look like bullets are hitting." "Fascinating," said Bergman. "I never knew how they did that." "You mean," asked Bronson, "you don't use machine guns in your movies?"

Judge Jonny wrote:

The Mini guys were rad and running a very close second to #6 for Judges Choice.

However, team #6 and their yellow, C02-powered boat horned RX7 had to win because between the three of them they are close to twenty feet tall and 100 IQ points.

so, was that one guy was one midget with a 90 IQ and two NBA drop-outs with a combined IQ of 10? or just a nice even spread?

And there was much rejoicing.

yayyyyy....

KT

TH 2009- 40th ~ SP 2010- 13th Class Bad win!! TH 2010- 17th ~TH 2010- 16th  SP 2011- 20th ~ RF 2011- 13th Least Horrible Yank Tank ~ TH 2011- 79th
SP 2011- 105th ~ SP 2012- 119th ~ SP 2013- 139th ~ BW 2013- 17th
Follow Filthy on Facebook: Flailing Lizard Motorsports

MikeLSU wrote:

They were obvious cheaters but they passed more intelligently than the other break neck speed teams so maybe this is why they got by without a visit to the crusher.

that's exactly why.

mike - Schumacher Taxi Service
12+-time loser
"Winner" - We Got Screwed, NJMP '11

If the leading vote getter gets 30 votes, and the no curse/no vote group is less than 30, then there would still be a curse, right?

Jer / Schumacher Taxi Service
2010 Spring CMP I.O.E. winner
2010 Sebring overall winner
1996 Miata, 1991 BMW E30, 1987 coROLLa (retired), 1984 Citation (retired), 1993 Miata (retired)

Wow, I tought the bitching was all about the curse even happening in the first place.  Now all of you are bitching because there may not be one.  Make up your minds.  I think this is a great thing for Jay to change the rules based upon popular belief now, evidently, those changes are not good enough.  Just run with it because now there is less of a chance for yout POS to be crushed.

"Sharp as Bear Claws and Slicker Than Goose Shit"
Lab Rats Motorsports
1990 VW Jetta
Charlotte, NC