Re: Let the games begin - Who wants the NSF K Car?

If the K-Car was at a race but without a team, would anyone be brave enough to take on the risk of entering it and then selling stints to drivers as their own POS expires?

Apocalyptic Racing - Occupy Pit Lane racing
Racing the "Toylet" Toyota Celica powered by Chevrolet Ecotec.
24x Loser with the Celica. 16x loser in other fine machines
Overall winner Gingerman 2019

http://www.gamerdna.com/uimage/9ID1mTPL/full/legendary-thread-2.jpg

A couple notes about the awesome engine:
It's getting a new crank, new moly rings, Clevite bearings, new head bolts and washers, new valve seals, new belts including timing, a Felpro head gasket and full engine gasket kit (and I'm not stingy with the RTV, either) and whatever machine work the shop says it needs. The block is being hot-tanked and I'll be chemical-flushing the radiator to get all the rust and slime out. The front struts are being replaced with Rockauto bargain-basement Gabriels (I think, maybe they're Monroes) and the brake system will be gone through and equipped with Speedbleeders. I'm not sure what the hell else I'll be doing, but the AC will be deleted because 1) the lines were empty and 2.) AC delete = MOAR POWAR, duh. Also, weight reduction.
Of note for racers in the Great White North (i.e., north of Savannah, GA:) The heater core is questionable and the heater valve is toast. I'll fab in a ballcock (yes, I said "ball" and "cock,") valve to engage or bypass it. If it blows it's on the driver's side and you'll have very warm legs.

Official photographer/Team Police Brutality|Speedycop & the Gang
Lackey-mechanic-whatever/NSF Racing
Sycophant/Judge Phil, Jay Lamm, Kim Harmon
Galaxie Driver/not Parnelli Jones

firegremlin wrote:

I'll graciously donate one of my crappy plastic dune buggy seats for a passenger to keep driver company, in case anyone else will be driving it as opposed to trailering.

Does anyone have a cheap lemons-grade tech-worthy seat in MD/VA//DC/SC area? I think I have a spare latch-lock 5-point harness somewhere.

Also, I can keep it tagged and insured for the year as opposed to just march/april, if anyone wants to think of a decent arrangement (say, give me 10 12-packs after Monticello, then the next person to get the car gets 9 from the next person, then 8, and so on). It shouldn't cost much and will encourage country-wide hooliganism and irresponsible drinking.

I probably have something that can be used, but you need skinny drivers.  I don't see too many of them at Lemons races.

I'm in PA, but we could probably relay it down South, if necessary.

Silent But Deadly Racing-  Ricky Bobby's Laughing Clown Malt Liquor Thunderbird , Datsun 510, 87 Mustang (The Race Team Formerly Known as Prince), 72 Pinto Squire waggy, Parnelli Jones 67 Galaxie, Turbo Coupe Surf wagon.(The Surfin Bird), Squatting Dogs In Tracksuits,  Space Pants!  Roy Fuckin Kent and The tribute to a tribute to a tribute THUNDERBIRD/ SUNDAHBADOH!

cheseroo wrote:

Rule #4  Has to be entered at all events under the same team name.

It's only fitting that the car that saved Chrysler is the one that wins the Lemons championship.

I didn't think about that.  You're right.  Add NSF before your real team name, will that do it?   I'm sure Nic, Phil and Jay will get really tired of seeing it.

This space for rent.

Sir Thomas Crapper wrote:
firegremlin wrote:

I'll graciously donate one of my crappy plastic dune buggy seats for a passenger to keep driver company, in case anyone else will be driving it as opposed to trailering.

Does anyone have a cheap lemons-grade tech-worthy seat in MD/VA//DC/SC area? I think I have a spare latch-lock 5-point harness somewhere.

Also, I can keep it tagged and insured for the year as opposed to just march/april, if anyone wants to think of a decent arrangement (say, give me 10 12-packs after Monticello, then the next person to get the car gets 9 from the next person, then 8, and so on). It shouldn't cost much and will encourage country-wide hooliganism and irresponsible drinking.

I probably have something that can be used, but you need skinny drivers.  I don't see too many of them at Lemons races.

I'm in PA, but we could probably relay it down South, if necessary.

I have an extra older Kirkey Economy seat I could part with.  It would not have a cover, but it is wide enough for my 6'-2", 300#, 44" waist physique.  It has a flat bottom, making it easier to mount on factory sliders.

I could get it to Eyewing or Speedycop to take to CMP. 

A few laps at MMC would cover my costs.

"She's a brick house" 57th out of 121 and 5th in Class C, There Goes the Neighborhood 2013
"PA Posse" 21st out of 96 and 2nd in Class C, Capitol Offense 2013.
"PA Posse" 29th out of 133 and Class C WINNER, Halloween Hooptiefest 2013
"PA Posse" 33rd out of 151 and 2nd in Class C, The Real Hoopties 2013

We're also (apparently) considering adding an oil cooler, which would have the added side benefit of adding a quart or so to the system...

82 (edited by NSF 2013-02-27 11:30 AM)

... and a block of wood under the gas pedal.

This space for rent.

ronman wrote:

We're also (apparently) considering adding an oil cooler, which would have the added side benefit of adding a quart or so to the system...

Great, more to dump on the track!

NSF wrote:
cheseroo wrote:

Rule #4  Has to be entered at all events under the same team name.

It's only fitting that the car that saved Chrysler is the one that wins the Lemons championship.

I didn't think about that.  You're right.  Add NSF before your real team name, will that do it?   I'm sure Nic, Phil and Jay will get really tired of seeing it.

NSF NMF Racing has a nice ring to it. Rolls right off the tongue.............

Newest member - White Trash Racing
Owner of the Traveling Hat

Judge Phil wrote:
ronman wrote:

Great, more to dump on the track!

USA! USA! USA!

NSF wrote:

... and a block of wood under the gas pedal.

I prefer the subdued elegance of bailing wire and sheetmetal, personally...

Nothing beats the Taurus SHO, with its combination of gigantic oil capacity and propensity to throw rods, when it comes to oiling down Lemons tracks.

Dvornik has a secret fantasy of splitting the oil pan at Monticello and staining the nice, clean, expensive run-off area with blowby-laden oil.

I do, too.

K Car Stalker

This is awesome, y'all!
It's like Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants
...  except with a fabulously craptastic K Car instead of pants
...  and with mostly dudes instead of chicks
...  and it's travelling around the Lemons race circuit instead of the world
Close enough for me!!!
Maybe it's the Lemonhood of the Travelling K Car!

K it Forward:

March: CMP NSF
April: Monticello, Gingerman Sputnic // NMF cabinboy
May: ECR  OPEN
June: BFEGP at HPR, 4 weeks to get it to Buttonwillow  OPEN // OPEN
July: the Ridge  OPEN
Aug: (nap. park the K at HQ for a bit of media whoring, perhaps?)  OPEN
Sept: Thunderhill, then 2 weeks to get to Houston  OPEN // OPEN
Oct: nap.
Nov: Road America  OPEN
Dec: Season-ender at Chuckwalla  SPANK

Get your requests in early.

This space for rent.

cabinboy wrote:

I'd like to race it at Gingerman if it's still available. There's two weeks between Gingerman and Eagle's Canyon. That'll give us a week to fix anything we break and pass it on to the next team while giving them a week to install their seat. Anyone  want it for ECR?

I'm practically in the middle between Gmann, and Monticello, and have a tow bar that can go with the car on it's travel across the country.

NSF, how much does this hog weigh?

dead rabbit society: cultured 'n shit.

Wheelbase    100.3 in (2,548 mm)
Wagon: 100.4 in (2,550 mm)
Length    178.6 in (4,536 mm)
Wagon: 178.5 in (4,534 mm)
Width    68.0 in (1,727 mm)
Height    Sedan: 52.9 in (1,344 mm)
Coupe: 52.5 in (1,334 mm)
Wagon: 53.2 in (1,351 mm)
Curb weight    2,300 lb (1,043 kg)

Thank you!!

This space for rent.

OK, Tetanus Racing has too many cars to prep as-is to get ourselves into the "K-fray," but I can at least try to make things a little easier for the TX stops.

Let's try to get some n00bs off the fence with this thing: if the foster parents for the K-wagon for ECR or MSR are not an established team with all their own stuff, or are some out-of-towners from CA or IL trying to pack lightly, we'll take care of them in the pits. We'll include them in our food plans, loan fuel jugs, tools, hot-pit fire extinguisher, etc. I'll even bring along an extra tent to make their packing list a little bit easier.

ONSET/Tetanus Racing, est. 2008.
Guest drives: NSF, Rocket Surgery, Property Devaluation, Terminally Confused, Team Sputnik, The Syndicate, Pit Crew Revenge, Spank, Hella Shitty, Sir Jackie Stewart's Coin Purse, Nine Finger Drifters, Salty Thunder, Panting Polar Bear, Vistabeam, Hangar 13, and Escape Velocity.
74 races so far.

BTW - The Super K is going to be number 20 at CMP.

This space for rent.

cpchampion wrote:

OK, Tetanus Racing has too many cars to prep as-is to get ourselves into the "K-fray," but I can at least try to make things a little easier for the TX stops.

Let's try to get some n00bs off the fence with this thing: if the foster parents for the K-wagon for ECR or MSR are not an established team with all their own stuff, or are some out-of-towners from CA or IL trying to pack lightly, we'll take care of them in the pits. We'll include them in our food plans, loan fuel jugs, tools, hot-pit fire extinguisher, etc. I'll even bring along an extra tent to make their packing list a little bit easier.

Chris, TARP will pitch in on that too.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

By the time MSR rolls around, my team might even have its shit together enough to help.

cabinboy wrote:

I'd like to race it at Gingerman if it's still available. There's two weeks between Gingerman and Eagle's Canyon. That'll give us a week to fix anything we break and pass it on to the next team while giving them a week to install their seat. Anyone  want it for ECR?

More than happy to help keep this running at Gingerman, we may be a little shorthanded ourselves but bring all the tools we can carry and will have an electrical hookup mig welder some steel and plenty of beer.
Pity its FWD as we carry a spare engine and trans that could be fitted to any RWD with a little imagination.

Apocalyptic Racing - Occupy Pit Lane racing
Racing the "Toylet" Toyota Celica powered by Chevrolet Ecotec.
24x Loser with the Celica. 16x loser in other fine machines
Overall winner Gingerman 2019

Wendell34 wrote:

I know I can get the car to the Ridge if someone wants to help once it gets there. I need the mechanical help. I can do logistics and organizing.

If you can get it to The Ridge, I'm very much interested.  I hope to be there again with my own car but would be keen on being part of a multi-car effort.

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

Brett85p wrote:
cabinboy wrote:

More than happy to help keep this running at Gingerman, we may be a little shorthanded ourselves but bring all the tools we can carry and will have an electrical hookup mig welder some steel and plenty of beer.
Pity its FWD as we carry a spare engine and trans that could be fitted to any RWD with a little imagination.

Wheres your imagination gone Brett?
As ya said, we'll have a welder....I picked up the spare tranny, pretty sure we have a spare diff......so if it goes "K"blowey we'll just go for Heroic Fix again and turn the K car into RWD. All we need is some no8 wire, duct tape and some wd40 and we'll be good to go.

KKidding aside, will be there in whatever means I can to help a team that fields this car at gingerman.
Loving this idea.

12. Gingerman , Heroic Fix award
10/12 Autobahn, 51st overall.
Team Apocalyptic Racing
1978 Ecotec Celica.

SpaceFrank wrote:

By the time MSR rolls around, my team might even have its shit together enough to help.

After watching you guys get your shit together over the last year-- from 0 to prepping for CMP -- I'm sure you will.
smile

Seriously, I hope that getting the word out that folks can bring the K from Gingerman to ECR or Thunderhill to MSR without having to drag along all their associated logistics stuff will make the decisions easier.

ONSET/Tetanus Racing, est. 2008.
Guest drives: NSF, Rocket Surgery, Property Devaluation, Terminally Confused, Team Sputnik, The Syndicate, Pit Crew Revenge, Spank, Hella Shitty, Sir Jackie Stewart's Coin Purse, Nine Finger Drifters, Salty Thunder, Panting Polar Bear, Vistabeam, Hangar 13, and Escape Velocity.
74 races so far.