Re: Chronicles of a Lemons Daytona

The next installment will come once the car is prepped for Monticello, but for now, i have found the perfect sticker to add to the car.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v247/beau_m/Mustang/Engine/DSCF2025.jpg

ordering tonight.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

TheEngineer wrote:

ordering tonight.

URL?

"I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it!"
IOE winner in the Super Snipe -- Buttonwillow 2012
IOE winner in Super Snipe v2.0 -- Buttonwillow 2016
"Every Super Snipe in Lemons has won an IOE!"

I've only found them on Ebay. I'm probably ordering one, then getting a local guy I know with a vinyl cutter to copy it and make me a few more.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DANGER-ENGINE-M … 0330139278

Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

I just  picked up a  88 daytona  z  for  the  motor .The po  had it  set up  for  autocross and  was  running  245  50 16 tires  with  wheel  adpters.  I  bought the  car   cause  it  has  the   super 60  set  up  and have  no  use for  the  daytona  parts  all the  supension  was  replaced  and  has  probly  10   autocross  events on  it .   if  intrested  pm  me  located in jersey  next  to  philly . also  has  an  complex   homade system for  storing    boast   pressure  with   3 tanks in  rear  of   car .   I  also  have  lot  of  turbo dodge  parts   .My  curse  for   growing  up in the 80's

decafe wrote:

also  has  an  complex   homade system for  storing    boast   pressure  with   3 tanks in  rear  of   car .

This sounds like an excellent idea.

Judge Phil wrote:
decafe wrote:

also  has  an  complex   homade system for  storing    boast   pressure  with   3 tanks in  rear  of   car .

This sounds like an excellent idea.

I thought all pressurized containers were prohibited??

And this is safe because it only contains pressurized air before the carb/FI? or its downstream tanks, which = bomb?

Dudes Ex Machina: https://www.facebook.com/dudesexmachina

?Everyone who has ever built anywhere a 'new heaven' first found the power thereto in his own hell- Frederick Nietzsche

57 (edited by decafe 2013-03-09 06:10 AM)

I will try to  add some  picture   but the   air gets  pushed   were  a  bov  would  normally    be  to   tank in trunk aprox 15 gal  fiberglass hold tank which is then  hooked  up  to  a  35  gal  tank for  storage   then trasfered to  another 15  gal tank  before returning   to   throttle body .    This  is all  done  via  pvc  pipe and  check valves .  In  theory the  car  would  never  lose   presure and eliminate  turbo  lag .  Way to  complicated  for  this  guy  but  the  po  definatly  put  alot  of  time   and  sleepless night  into  this .  he  also  has  a  homemade  wind  generator for  his  shop made from scrapyard  parts .  we   are   just happy  when our  car  stays running

Sounds like the po needs to be Lemons racing.

Apocalyptic Racing - Occupy Pit Lane racing
Racing the "Toylet" Toyota Celica powered by Chevrolet Ecotec.
24x Loser with the Celica. 16x loser in other fine machines
Overall winner Gingerman 2019

decafe wrote:

I will try to  add some  picture   but the   air gets  pushed   were  a  bov  would  normally    be  to   tank in trunk aprox 15 gal  fiberglass hold tank which is then  hooked  up  to  a  35  gal  tank for  storage   then trasfered to  another 15  gal tank  before returning   to   throttle body .    This  is all  done  via  pvc  pipe and  check valves .  In  theory the  car  would  never  lose   presure and eliminate  turbo  lag .  Way to  complicated  for  this  guy  but  the  po  definatly  put  alot  of  time   and  sleepless night  into  this .  he  also  has  a  homemade  wind  generator for  his  shop made from scrapyard  parts .  we   are   just happy  when our  car  stays running

Don't use PVC for pressurized air.  When it lets go it shatters and becomes shrapnel.  Either use rubber hose (reinforced and intended for pneumatics) or copper/metal.  If they have a problem they just leak through a crack.  PVC is a big no-no.

decafe wrote:

we   are   just happy  when our  car  stays running

Sounds like a Rube Goldberg contraption.  I am pretty sure I saw something like that in an old Tom & Jerry cartoon.  I am also certain that my '88 Shelby would blow in to tiny bits if I tried something like that. 

Heck, we will be happy just to get the car to debut in Houston in September!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bad-Scie … 1090510124

Bad Science Racing
     '88 Dodge Daytona Shelby Z.....Hey, it's still a Shelby!

We're not going to let you store boost. I just think it sounds like a great idea because I like dumb ideas like that. However, Jay is the one who gets sued when such a rig blows up and takes out 15 bystanders with shrapnel, so he'll give it the thumbs-down.

We were  going to use the  stored boast  to  presurize  the  fuel   into  smaller  vapor   forcing it  thru the  injectors  at a  riddiculouse    rate  of   speed ,  also  for  air horn and  automatic  tire  inflation  system  we  have   spent  years  developing .

I missed this whole exchange. Sounds like that car needs to come to Lemons now.

writing the next installment now. I have a brilliant affinity to kill turbos.

Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon

Part 12 - Turbos be damned.

Monticello is less than a month away, so i decided i should probably take a look at the car and see what it needs. I was thinking a few seals and we'd be good to go since the car was running so well after october. Ha, how stupid I can be. I knew i was in for some fun when i went to take the turbo piping off and the cold side of the turbo moved. Oh great. 1.5 hours from start and I had the engine hanging from the crane. A new personal best. Next time I'm shooting to get it out in an hour with no one else helping.

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w116/cegan09/FB_IMG_13629309451395951.jpg

So what the hell is with the turbo. It was still boosting really well in the fall, even after the race. Well here's what i found.

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w116/cegan09/20130310_152640.jpg
http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w116/cegan09/20130310_152646.jpg

The hot side was apparently welded on, and the weld cracked all the way around allowing it to float. So there's probably one of the oil leaks. I'm impressed with how well the turbo was working in this condition to be honest. But this means the turbo needed to come off. Two nuts come off clean, two snap the studs. Excellent. So now the manifold needs to come off. And since I've never had this manifold off the head before, of cource it puts up a fight. Ended up grinding off two of the frozen stripped nuts. Even the intake manifold threw a fit and I ended up cutting one of those bolts as well.

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w116/cegan09/20130310_152748.jpg
http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w116/cegan09/20130310_152756.jpg

Two studs are now soaking in Kroil in the hopes that they'll play nice and come out tomorrow. On the up side, the cylinder walls still look perfect. Valves tell a different story though. I think i'm losing valve seals on a couple. debating doing those now or waiting till next race.  Tomorrow or Tuesday i'll get the bottom end opened up and take a look at the bearings. Hopefully those are still in good shape and I just reassemble and run this engine again.

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w116/cegan09/20130310_152728.jpg
http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w116/cegan09/20130310_152706.jpg
http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w116/cegan09/20130310_152711.jpg

Checklist for Monticello
- add oil cooler
- fix fuel lines
- fix rear brakes
- get new turbo installed
- add more air ducting to the front for cooling
- wire in new switch plate

Oh, and when you cut yourself really well on a broken hose clamp, and then discover you don't own bandages, shop towels and duck tape work even better.
http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w116/cegan09/20130310_153228.jpg

Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon

Why would you not send it out for a valve job? Its likely less than $200 and its money no one will ever know you spent, as long as you don't respond to this forum post about how awesome it looked after the valve job.

Constructor/Owner/Driver - Billy Beer Ford Futura

Parkwod60 wrote:

Why would you not send it out for a valve job? Its likely less than $200 and its money no one will ever know you spent, as long as you don't respond to this forum post about how awesome it looked after the valve job.

Well I certainly wouldn't post anything about it if i did decide to do that.......

Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon

This is awesome. I've been seeing this car at NHMS every time, didn't know it had such a great story to it. I have been jealously eyeing your PS3 setup from afar for several races now though...

Also, if you're in a scooter gang, I want in. Just sayin'. Come find me, let's talk bacon.

See you guys at Monticiello. I'm making another appearance in the oil-slingin problem. Then looks like an A&D in NHMS May in an S-dub MR2, and then *hopefully* my own Lemons rig will be out there for NJ/Summit point/Halloween NHMS.

(facebook.com/baconexplosions)

10x loser and 2x IOE winner (or is it wiener? Who cares as long as it isn't whiner.)

I am a big fan of this thread.  Keep the updates coming.

My '88 is coming along nicely.  We still hope to make Houston in June.  I am currently looking for racing seats and rollcage installers.  Let me know how that oil cooler goes.  I am pretty certain we need to do one too.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bad-Scie … 1090510124

Bad Science Racing
     '88 Dodge Daytona Shelby Z.....Hey, it's still a Shelby!

ridered777 wrote:

This is awesome. I've been seeing this car at NHMS every time, didn't know it had such a great story to it. I have been jealously eyeing your PS3 setup from afar for several races now though...

Also, if you're in a scooter gang, I want in. Just sayin'. Come find me, let's talk bacon.

See you guys at Monticiello. I'm making another appearance in the oil-slingin problem. Then looks like an A&D in NHMS May in an S-dub MR2, and then *hopefully* my own Lemons rig will be out there for NJ/Summit point/Halloween NHMS.

We were in a scooter gang, until they outlawed them... sad
I think i'm going to try and get my hands on an old school scooter with bike style wheels and see how long i get away with that. Otherwise, bikes it is.

We won't have the PS3 at Monticello, but it will be back for Loudon in May, come on over and jump in. More people from other teams use it than my team does, that's why we bring it.

Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon

Why are all of the valves different colors?  That seems strange to me.

Rob R.

Ghetto motorsports - Car #555 1980 Mazda RX7 (3x winner of BFE GP / 1x 2nd place of BFE GP...BOO!)
Car #350 78 Chevy Malibu (Least horrible Yank Tank, Heroic Fix) (Gone)
Car # 556 1987 Mazda RX7 (6th place MMC 2013) (1st place Capitol Offense 2013)

71 (edited by TheEngineer 2013-03-11 07:05 AM)

wvumtnbkr wrote:

Rob R.

LOL, hadn't really paid much attention to that to be honest. The red one was painted by a previous owner (overspray everywhere), and is the one that came with the car. The wierd almost light yellow one came out of a mini-van, no idea what's up with the color (and i've never used that cover). And the black one came out of the '88 shelby Z. I think the two charger engines i picked up this spring are both black.

I think in my effort to clean things up I'm going to start painting parts random colors as i get them clean. Bright pink valve covers sound like a great idea.

Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon

You sir, have either A: more patience than I do.  Or B: less access to bulldozers.  Car woulda been the meat in a bulldozer sandwich by now.  Kudos on not giving up.

Carbon footprint diesel chevette: IOE Gingerman '11, ClassC winner Autobahn, 13
Isuzu iMark diesel: IOE Gingerman'13
Chrysler Cordoba: Organizers Choice Barber '14

TheEngineer wrote:
wvumtnbkr wrote:

Rob R.

LOL, hadn't really paid much attention to that to be honest. The red one was painted by a previous owner (overspray everywhere), and is the one that came with the car. The wierd almost light yellow one came out of a mini-van, no idea what's up with the color (and i've never used that cover). And the black one came out of the '88 shelby Z. I think the two charger engines i picked up this spring are both black.

I think in my effort to clean things up I'm going to start painting parts random colors as i get them clean. Bright pink valve covers sound like a great idea.

I think he means the valves, not the valve covers.

"She's a brick house" 57th out of 121 and 5th in Class C, There Goes the Neighborhood 2013
"PA Posse" 21st out of 96 and 2nd in Class C, Capitol Offense 2013.
"PA Posse" 29th out of 133 and Class C WINNER, Halloween Hooptiefest 2013
"PA Posse" 33rd out of 151 and 2nd in Class C, The Real Hoopties 2013

racinrob wrote:

I think he means the valves, not the valve covers.

oh right. Sorry, I occasionally insert words when reading, and read it as valve cover.

yes, the valves concern me a little. until i investigate further, i'm thinking it's related to different amounts of oil getting into the cylinders, but i'm not sure.

Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon

It looks like some cylinders are running hotter or leaner than others.

This would concern me.  i would be checking out my fuel injectors and spark plugs as well.

Ghetto motorsports - Car #555 1980 Mazda RX7 (3x winner of BFE GP / 1x 2nd place of BFE GP...BOO!)
Car #350 78 Chevy Malibu (Least horrible Yank Tank, Heroic Fix) (Gone)
Car # 556 1987 Mazda RX7 (6th place MMC 2013) (1st place Capitol Offense 2013)