Topic: Race temp/comfort in Reno?

So it was hot in Reno, yes?

How were the driving comforts with the firesuit & helmet?  Were you uncomfortable?  Was it unbearable?  Did you sweat out tens of gallons?

Trying to find a cooling method for the NO race and even deciding if it's necessary..

E30's should all go up in flames...

Re: Race temp/comfort in Reno?

Reno was warm (not hot), and dry. After 45 mins in the car, I was soaking wet (and I'm not a particularly sweaty guy).

Since New Orleans will likely be hot (not warm) and humid, some kind of cooling setup is an excellent idea.

3 (edited by jimeditorial 2009-05-26 01:09 PM)

On our Fiero we used a "camelback" hiking water bag zip tied to the roll cage with a lump of ice from the beer cooler added just before the driver change. We kept the suction tubes next to the shifter and drank during yellow flags...I drank a whole bag at every stint and felt O.K......next time I'll rig up one with an interchangeable tube or tubes so we won't have to swap out bags with each driver.....and for Sunday we duct taped an old intake elbow to the A-pillar and directed the air flow onto the seat area...pretty effective,

Jim "Endo" Anderton

Team Pontihack @ Reno-Fernley 09

Jim "Endo" Anderton
30 years of racing and still not Brambilla.....

It was only mid-80's --- but the 13% humidity was a killer.  Chapped lips, drier than sandpaper nostrils, dusty-dry air.  NOAA said they were looking for 50% humidity (which would have helped a lot)... what do they know!

Ahhhh... Buttonwillow in August!  Mild 110 degree temps and a balmy 23% humidity... what better conditions to have a race?

John

"Age only matters if you're a cheese."  Helen Hayes

I actually was expecting much worse.  I was able to pull off a 2.5 hour stint in the middle of Saturday afternoon.    We also used a camelback harnessed in the passenger seat with mostly-cold water.

Buttonwillow is going to bite... REALLY bite

John, how's that A/C in your motorhome... our 1976 Caveman $0 camper does a great job of creating the "greenhouse" effect.

The camel back is essential. We also rigged up a cold air duct out of cups and tape to funnel air into the driver's face. I'd highly recommend both.

To finish first, first you must finish. -Rick Mears
Pandamonium Racing

FreeRange wrote:

Buttonwillow is going to bite... REALLY bite

Indeed. To the point were a cool suit will be pretty much mandatory and probably still won't be enough to fight off heat exhaustion. That and cars will be overheating all over the place. What other tricks did Altamont veterans use to keep their car and themselves from overheating??? Truck radiators?

The Sharks
Home of the E28 Turbo Tuner Fish and the Hammered Head 944 Turbo

Hey Matt -

Again, congrats on the award and great finish.

I agree that the actual air temp was pleasant and easy for a 2-3 hour stint.  It was the dry air that drove my nose and throat nutz!  I only turned the AC in the "home" on from 3-5pm on Friday for my dog (er, ah... Crew Chief... Charley -- he hates it when I call him a dog).  Friday was the warmest.  The wind kept the motorhome well ventilated.  I've learned that the AC will only reduce the inside temp by 15-20 degrees or so -- it's still just a large aluminum box that radiates heat.  If the outside temp is 100, it can be 80 inside -- which is okay.  However, if it's 115 outside, it's 100 inside.  For BW, I've already grabbed a few hotel rooms for my team.  I'm not going to even think of camping...

John

"Age only matters if you're a cheese."  Helen Hayes

Well we spent last night making some VERY rough coolsuits... but they work!

E30's should all go up in flames...

professional.dreamer wrote:

It was only mid-80's --- but the 13% humidity was a killer.  Chapped lips, drier than sandpaper nostrils, dusty-dry air.  NOAA said they were looking for 50% humidity (which would have helped a lot)... what do they know!

Yeah, it was dry.  My hands were cracked and bleeding by the end of the weekend...

We were going to tie wrap our camelbak to the rollcage, but ended up just putting the bladder in the front of our suit so we didn't have to swap it out at the driver change (or, that's what we were doing by the END of the race).  Since the bladder was ice cold it also helped cool us off.  Worked great!  Use a bladder with a right angle bite valve.

I religiously took a sip of water on the back straight every time I went down it...

Maybe we need a "best home-engineered coolsuit" award for Buttonwillow.