1 (edited by firegremlin 2013-03-19 09:50 AM)

Topic: RIP Sputnik Stanza Wagon.

Some of you might remember it as a slow-poke white box that blocked your way on the track all the time, but stayed out there save a dropped exhaust pipe every now and again, two years ago.

Some of you might remember it as a rocket-fast yellow ball of awesome that blew past you... once, before breaking down AGAIN, damnit, and going back for repairs, early last year.

Some of you might even remember it as a single-gear, no-starter #404 that kept turning laps at New Hampshire despite all odds, and ALMOST succeeding at being fast AND reliable.

The car served us well but is now too dangerous to be allowed near the race track, and will serve as a warning to everyone - don't cut pieces you don't have replacements for, and don't learn to weld on anything faster than a bone-stock Cimmaron. It could maybe possibly be brought back to life but the combination of a monster engine, oversteer-prone craptastic rear suspension, and front subframe rusting in half means that the best fate for that car is to donate its go-fast bits to something safer, and, dare I say it, even more ridiculous. Watch this space for Stanza's revenge.

Celebration, I mean, um, services will be held this Wednesday evening at my temp Sputnik HQ in MD, after which the car will be promptly cut up into separate pieces with a sawzall/angle grinder. Anyone in the area who wishes to come help with disposal, say goodbye to the poor wagon, and get loaded on mojitos, is welcome to do so - drop me a line.

Hats off to the rust-spewing, axle-chewing, exhaust-dropping, 10-layers-of-paint Stanza Wagon. To steal a quote from NSF's Bob re: K-car, "I'll miss it... Like a hemorrhoid on my ass, I'll miss it".

K Car Stalker

Re: RIP Sputnik Stanza Wagon.

So what failed tech?

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

The official reason was cutting "crash structure".

I was prepared to argue the purpose of headlight frames, hood-supporting horns and paper-thin inner fenders until cows come home. However, Jay's brief mention of rust holes, completely home-made suspension, and, um, absent subframe patched with a couple slices of angle iron sobered me up a bit.

Coupled with stuff I knew but didn't bother to mention, like rear suspension that doesn't change camber dynamically by design,  multiple rust holes, and rusty brake lines of which one already blew in a race at Summit, I've accepted the ruling as random but wise.  It was our first car, so a lot of things were done with wrong tools, in a wrong way, with a high potential for disaster.

I can't say that we broke a solid no-exceptions rule (heck, the airplane was missing ALL OEM metal above the first couple of feet), but, as always, using common sense and asking for advance permission before trying to use an old dune buggy seat as your inner fender is a good idea.

K Car Stalker

This still makes me sad. sad RIP Stanza.

That exhaust was a constant problem. Good memories from Summit Point though.

(facebook.com/baconexplosions)

10x loser and 2x IOE winner (or is it wiener? Who cares as long as it isn't whiner.)

http://www.murileemartin.com/UG/LSS13/537-LSS13-UG.jpg

that clean sawzall cut is the primary trigger for retiring the Stanza

I like Nissans and I cannot lie

Beat us by 200 laps..

This space for rent.

I'll always remember the first time I saw that car, rolling into CMP on a rented trailer that February when I was playing co-judge to Phil.  And you guys kept getting black flags and coming in- you were the "Guinea Pigs" for my new penalty, the Maddening Metric-Standard 1990's Detroit Car Fastener Penalty, where I handed you a hubcap full of bolts and nuts and you had to make them all mate up.  Good times.

I also remember the debate between Phil, Jay, and I over IoE for that race, and you guys were in contention.  NSF ended up winning it with their _turrrrrrible_ Fury, but it was close.

Tunachuckers: 15 Years of Effluency
'08 - '10: 1966 Volvo 122, "Charlie"
'10 - '18: 1975 Ford LTD Landau --> 2018 - current: Converted into 1950 "Plymford"
'22 - current: 1967 Volvo 122, "Charlie ]["

8 (edited by Dr. Wife 2013-03-19 04:08 PM)

Thank you from the bottomest bottom of my heart for NOT arguing with Jay, getting that past tech & then putting my husband behind the wheel. It might be the over active hormones making me sappy, but I do like me an un-crumpled c_p_champion.

I am sad we're not close enough to take part in the send off. 'Cause I also loves me some Sawzall.

I'm the doctor who is a wife. Which makes the grease hard to explain to my patients... www.tetanusneon.com.

I have a fun memory from one of the Summit Point races, it was the end of the day, I'm out in the Wagovan, and I ended up in a 4 car battle with the Stanza, a Volvo wagon, and a Subaru wagon.   It was probably the best group of roadracing wagons ever.   RIP Stanza.

Chris from 3 Pedal Mafia

Save a piece from it to put on your new car.  This way, it will always be with you.

You've got the K wagon for monticello, right?  So next build is for Summit?

Silent But Deadly Racing-  Ricky Bobby's Laughing Clown Malt Liquor Thunderbird , Datsun 510, 87 Mustang (The Race Team Formerly Known as Prince), 72 Pinto Squire waggy, Parnelli Jones 67 Galaxie, Turbo Coupe Surf wagon.(The Surfin Bird), Squatting Dogs In Tracksuits,  Space Pants!  Roy Fuckin Kent and The tribute to a tribute to a tribute THUNDERBIRD/ SUNDAHBADOH!

Correct - Monticello will be with Sentra and K-wagon.

Dvornik is busy morally preparing himself for the Summit build right now. It will be a fast-looking terrible piece of machinery that will barely do five laps, if that.

I'll certainly save a lot of pieces of the Stanza. One of my future builds needs good sheet metal for patching the floors, and Stanza happens to have a large, perfectly flat, well-preserved roof, for one. Naturally, we're saving the shocks, springs, brakes, and drivetrain, because those are way too awesome to just let go of.

K Car Stalker

Wow. I just cut up a perfectly good car. It was more of a victim of un-preparedness than rust or cutting.

Seriously, if you want a solid, strong platform, take a Stanza wagon and bolt Altima rear subframe to it. Go fast in style. It'll take any Nissan V6 just fine, it's that sturdy. I went through a half-dozen blades.

Pics coming when I come back from Sonoma.

K Car Stalker

Video from Wednesday's post-mortem

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffe3X1fp_Ok

I like Nissans and I cannot lie

I remember the Stanza well from the first race with the Slant 6 E30, CMP short course.
We were coming down the front straight side by side deep into the braking zone. I glance over and see their front wheel locked up.  The BMW made it through on the inside and my teammates watched them go off through the beach. Not sure if they took out any of the extra penalty targets that were set up.

Fun times

Jason
E30/6
Winner "I got screwed" that race

It was fun watching Sputnik's roof wobbling through traffic. Gonna miss it.

Philosophy of life: old age and treachery will ALWAYS overcome youth, enthusiasm and cash. General smartass know it all beer swilling ne'er do well. Avoid eye contact with this person, best avoided completely. 2008 Animal House Racing CMP 'Most Likely To Leave In An Ambulance' 2009 Blind Rodent Racing CMP 2010 Team Galileo CMP 2011 Roundhouse Kick Racing CMP 2012 Road Kill Grill Racing CMP (x2)