Re: Chihuahua Express 2013 or USA Invades Mexico with $500 cars! Bad IDEA

Wait till you see the FIVE with a Ravine on day three!

This space for rent.

just to be clear- i should meet you guys in Mexico Thursday morning? are you serious about me renting a car to get around, or should i use taxi's till we are linked up?

Flying Rat Motorsports- Turbo Taxi, RIP

78 (edited by NSF 2013-04-11 11:04 AM)

Good advice from Gerie.  Make copies of all of your documents. 

Thursday mid day is our ETA.  Rent a car if you can.  Our bolt pattern is 5x4.5.

b

Temporary Import Permits (TIP) -- As most of you know, one foreigner can import only one vehicle into Mexico.  To obtain a TIP, you will need:

1. the original title - OR- the registration form (and a copy)
2. your tourist visa (FMM form) (and a copy) -- you get this at the border and have a copy made there
3. your driver's license (and a copy)
4. your passport (and a copy of the page with your photo)

Make sure you also have the vehicle’s license tag number with you, because they will put it in the computer file. (If the vehicle does not have a valid tag, just use an old one or one off another vehicle.  It does not matter if it is expired.  (See below.)

You will also need a major credit card (not American Express) or enough dollars to pay the deposit: $200 for an old car, or $300 or $400 for a modern car depending on the year.

If both vehicles are in your name, sign over the title of one of them to someone else who has the necessary credentials listed above.  (I used to sign over the title on the back in pencil and then erase it later. Or get a duplicate title.)    If you do not have a title, make up and sign a formal Bill of Sale.

The Banjercito simply wants to know that (1) the person is authorized to bring the vehicle into Mexico, (2)  the person is going to make the deposit, and (3) the person will sign the statement promising to return the vehicle to the U.S.  Most of the clerks know about, and are cool with, the procedure of signing the title over.

If you have a title with a lien marked on it, you technically need a letter from your lender authorizing you to bring the car into Mexico.

Remember:  your TIP is your vehicle registration while in Mexico.  Keep it in the race car or tow vehicle.  It does not matter if you have an expired tag on your vehicle.  The race cars do not need a tag when racing.

Liability Insurance

Did you get Mexican liability insurance on your race car and tow vehicle?   It is only required on the tow vehicle, but I also recommend it for the race car as well--when,driving the car at night, around town, or on test runs.

www.bajabound.com is the place to go to get seven days of insurance via computer, using a credit card.  You can print the policy off the computer, too.  Takes about ten minutes.

This insurance does not cover the car or driver when racing.  When racing you are covered by the event's insurance policy, a policy that also provides some medical insurance.

Have more questions?  Call or email me.

Hasta pronto!

Gerie
1-650-525-9190

By the way:

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/164964_4109256468666_896713685_n.jpg

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/544257_4109311110032_1532648700_n.jpg

This space for rent.

Looks great Bob!

Why couldn't this have been 2 weeks later!?!
Sad Choices indeed.

Apparently my name is really "Craigers".  Who knew?
We might be yellow, but at least we are slow
I'm a WINNER!

That is One Fine Racing Machine!

Dangerous Banned Technology (NOLA 09), Judges Choice (Houston 2010), Organizers Choice (NOLA 2010), Most Heroic Fix (Dallas 2010), $100 from Jay's Pocket (Dallas 2010), Dangerous Homemade Technology (NOLA 2010), Ununhexium Legends of Lemons Status,  Index of Effluency (Dallas 2011), Most Heroic Fix - (Houston 2011), Index of Effluency (TWS - 2012), Organizers Choice (Dallas 2013)

now they're taking glamour shots
https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos- … 3512_n.jpg

Rally Baby 87 Audi 4KQ, Audi 90 Quattro Coupe, 1975 Mercedes R107, 87 E30s, E36s, the Whorenet, Rocco...
J. Phil: "Audis Never Win".  He might be right.But!, the K Dominates 2013 NJ and NH (not, but...). 
Stafford 2011 podium, 2nd NJMP 2013, Summit Point 2012 "WV ASSimilation award"
NJMP 2012 Organizer's Choice - R107, 2013 Monticello IOE Whorenet ! Organizers, CMP fall 2013 w/NSF

82 (edited by NSF 2013-04-11 07:34 PM)

In case you forgot:

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/390357_2695317497294_1679552282_n.jpg

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/11621_4110310255010_2146943512_n.jpg

We had to wait for dusk to hide the swirls and high spots.  It's white for a reason.

This space for rent.

83 (edited by ronman 2013-04-12 08:38 PM)

Mike C. wrote:

now they're taking glamour shots
https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos- … 3512_n.jpg

Nah, I took the real, non-cell phone ones:

http://www.ronman.org/pics/barracuda/image001.jpg
http://www.ronman.org/pics/barracuda/image002.jpg
http://www.ronman.org/pics/barracuda/image003.jpg
http://www.ronman.org/pics/barracuda/image004.jpg
http://www.ronman.org/pics/barracuda/image005.jpg
http://www.ronman.org/pics/barracuda/image006.jpg
http://www.ronman.org/pics/barracuda/image007.jpg

Official photographer/Team Police Brutality|Speedycop & the Gang
Lackey-mechanic-whatever/NSF Racing
Sycophant/Judge Phil, Jay Lamm, Kim Harmon
Galaxie Driver/not Parnelli Jones

Nice!!!

Quad4 CRX - Wartburg 311 - Civic Wagovan - Parnelli Jones Galaxie - LS400 - Lancia MR2 - Boat - Sentra - 56 Ford Victoria
Known Associate of 3pedal Mafia, Speedycop, and the Russians.  Maybe even NSF.

At least its got a hitch on the back so we can tow the tow vehicle back should it stop towing.  hmm

Or something.

Dangerous Banned Technology (NOLA 09), Judges Choice (Houston 2010), Organizers Choice (NOLA 2010), Most Heroic Fix (Dallas 2010), $100 from Jay's Pocket (Dallas 2010), Dangerous Homemade Technology (NOLA 2010), Ununhexium Legends of Lemons Status,  Index of Effluency (Dallas 2011), Most Heroic Fix - (Houston 2011), Index of Effluency (TWS - 2012), Organizers Choice (Dallas 2013)

Fierce aerodynamics.  Don't taunt science.  Or Tempt the Gods in the 22.

This space for rent.

Yep, don't eff with the Double Deuce... nor claim to have completely built Sad Choices on your private forum.

Speedycop/NSF Racing /Pinewood Dirtbags
'10 Summit, CMP3, Autobahn, '11 CMP1, NJMP, CMP2, Summit, G'man, Stafford, Charlotte, Autobahn, ECR '12 CMP1, NJMP, G'man, NHMS1, Summit, CMP2, NHMS2, ECR, '13 CMP1, ECR, Summit, NJMP, THill, CMP2, MSR, NHMS, Sears '14 Barber, Sears1, ECR, CMP1, NJMP1, BWillow, Sebring, CMP2, THill, Sears2, '15 Sears1, Barber, Ridge, THill, '16 Sears1

OK, Cowdriver, email received and pics resized. You're welcome.

ronman wrote:

OK, Cowdriver, email received and pics resized. You're welcome.

Thanks, they load much faster now!

"I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it!"
IOE winner in the Super Snipe -- Buttonwillow 2012
IOE winner in Super Snipe v2.0 -- Buttonwillow 2016
"Every Super Snipe in Lemons has won an IOE!"

Pendejoengineering will be there also. But we will be running Johnny Mags legit Rx8. We are leaving San Diego tomorrow and riding our motorcycles down from Mexicali so if you guys need any help getting through tech or getting stuff fixed i have a little knowledge there. We have done this race a few times and know all the spots to hang out in at night so ask if you need info. Also it is very safe down there. Ok now lets talk route book.. All and i mean All navigators need to be at there meetings because every year the printer leaves vital info out of the book and some time wrong info. In the meeting they will give you the corrected pages so don't miss it.

You guys will have a blast

Pendejo Maximo

Pendejo wrote:

Pendejoengineering will be there also. But we will be running Johnny Mags legit Rx8. We are leaving San Diego tomorrow and riding our motorcycles down from Mexicali so if you guys need any help getting through tech or getting stuff fixed i have a little knowledge there. We have done this race a few times and know all the spots to hang out in at night so ask if you need info. Also it is very safe down there. Ok now lets talk route book.. All and i mean All navigators need to be at there meetings because every year the printer leaves vital info out of the book and some time wrong info. In the meeting they will give you the corrected pages so don't miss it.

You guys will have a blast

Pendejo Maximo

The only reason we're running Chihuahua is to drink with you, Pendejo/Magnus.  We'll see you down there, gringo.

'10 Summit, CMP3, Autobahn, '11 CMP1, NJMP, CMP2, Summit, G'man, Stafford, Charlotte, Autobahn, ECR '12 CMP1, NJMP, G'man, NHMS1, Summit, CMP2, NHMS2, ECR, '13 CMP1, ECR, Summit, NJMP, THill, CMP2, MSR, NHMS, Sears '14 Barber, Sears1, ECR, CMP1, NJMP1, BWillow, Sebring, CMP2, THill, Sears2, '15 Sears1, Barber, Ridge, THill, '16 Sears1

Damn, that's what $250 at a Florida bodyshop gets you?  I need to trailer some of my cars down that way.

Tunachuckers: 15 Years of Effluency
'08 - '10: 1966 Volvo 122, "Charlie"
'10 - '18: 1975 Ford LTD Landau --> 2018 - current: Converted into 1950 "Plymford"
'22 - current: 1967 Volvo 122, "Charlie ]["

93 (edited by DC Doug 2013-04-16 12:44 AM)

The Barracuda Swim Club has landed in Houston.

Next stop: Alpine, TX.

mechimike wrote:

Damn, that's what $250 at a Florida bodyshop gets you?  I need to trailer some of my cars down that way.

"Florida bodyshop" = DC Doug and Ray.
It's a convincing 50-footer. yikes

Mid-shakedown run between Ojinaga & Chihuahua. Car ran great!  Scott and I met a couple of caballeros of La Paz & shared a beer (or two).

Racing starts Friday.

http://i1005.photobucket.com/albums/af172/kirchbed/IMG_0794_zpseb510b67.jpg

SO AWESOME.  Please keep us up to date.  Wish I could be there with you.

Quad4 CRX - Wartburg 311 - Civic Wagovan - Parnelli Jones Galaxie - LS400 - Lancia MR2 - Boat - Sentra - 56 Ford Victoria
Known Associate of 3pedal Mafia, Speedycop, and the Russians.  Maybe even NSF.

Broken down, but got fixed.

Sorry Jay!!!!

http://i1005.photobucket.com/albums/af172/kirchbed/image_zps0eb71d14.jpg

Not only did Scott n Doug manage not to drive off a mountain today they brought the 'cuda back without being able to shift out of fourth gear.  A lemony fix to the linkage was no match for the Mexican terrain.  We had the part built for us for 80 pesos. 
However, it seems the Barracuda is no match for all of the roadside cantinas.    It's nice to be the co-driver.  The driver has to drive but the co-driver - not so many responsibilities.

This space for rent.

NSF wrote:

Not only did Scott n Doug manage not to drive off a mountain today they brought the 'cuda back without being able to shift out of fourth gear.  A lemony fix to the linkage was no match for the Mexican terrain.  We had the part built for us for 80 pesos.

As I recall, you really don't need to shift out of 4th any how.  I was able to thrash the brakes with never shifting out of 4th at ECR...

Apparently my name is really "Craigers".  Who knew?
We might be yellow, but at least we are slow
I'm a WINNER!

solman244 wrote:
NSF wrote:

As I recall, you really don't need to shift out of 4th any how.  I was able to thrash the brakes with never shifting out of 4th at ECR...

The real issue was driving it back into Chihuahua - a very large city where everyone is Driver Level: BONZAI.