Re: Let the games begin - Who wants the NSF K Car?

It wasn't hard to find the K's pit stall...even when it was on track.

Might want to buy a yellow flag with red stripes to mount on top it.

"He attacked everything in life with a mixture of extraordinary genius and naive incompetence, and it was often difficult to tell which was which."   -Adams, Douglas.   The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

14x loser @ Gingerman, Autobahn, Summit Point, New Jersey, Road 'Merica, and Barber

yukadas wrote:

I'll have you know that we didn't leave any engine parts on the track at gingerman.

and i'm pretty sure that /BOTH/ of our neighbors got towed in/black flagged more than we did wink

dead rabbit society: cultured 'n shit.

tSoG wrote:
yukadas wrote:

I'll have you know that we didn't leave any engine parts on the track at gingerman.

and i'm pretty sure that /BOTH/ of our neighbors got towed in/black flagged more than we did wink

Ouch that hurts smile

Apocalyptic Racing - Occupy Pit Lane racing
Racing the "Toylet" Toyota Celica powered by Chevrolet Ecotec.
24x Loser with the Celica. 16x loser in other fine machines
Overall winner Gingerman 2019

Brett85p wrote:
tSoG wrote:
yukadas wrote:

Ouch that hurts smile

I will have you know that we have never been towed in.

"He attacked everything in life with a mixture of extraordinary genius and naive incompetence, and it was often difficult to tell which was which."   -Adams, Douglas.   The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

14x loser @ Gingerman, Autobahn, Summit Point, New Jersey, Road 'Merica, and Barber

The K car was a fantastic little wagon! Though a bit of advise for the next team, you may want to redo the oil catch can we installed...and replace that welded passenger brake caliper...and replace those melted all season tires...

Fourteen time loser. You'd think I'd know better by now.

If I can convince a car magazine to buy me a plane ticket to Oklahoma and there's some Colorado team willing to race the car at the BFE GP, I MIGHT be willing to drive the K here. If there's even a 1% chance that I'll end up stuck with a hooptie-ass Reliant parked in front of my house for weeks, however, I will not attempt this feat.

Maverick74 wrote:

The K car was a fantastic little wagon! Though a bit of advise for the next team, you may want to redo the oil catch can we installed...and replace that welded passenger brake caliper...and replace those melted all season tires...

I'll order some calipers. ECR is murder on brakes.
Is that a front passenger caliper, or rear?
What year model is this hooptie, anyway?

ONSET/Tetanus Racing, est. 2008.
Guest drives: NSF, Rocket Surgery, Property Devaluation, Terminally Confused, Team Sputnik, The Syndicate, Pit Crew Revenge, Spank, Hella Shitty, Sir Jackie Stewart's Coin Purse, Nine Finger Drifters, Salty Thunder, Panting Polar Bear, Vistabeam, Hangar 13, and Escape Velocity.
74 races so far.

Judge Phil wrote:

If I can convince a car magazine to buy me a plane ticket to Oklahoma and there's some Colorado team willing to race the car at the BFE GP, I MIGHT be willing to drive the K here. If there's even a 1% chance that I'll end up stuck with a hooptie-ass Reliant parked in front of my house for weeks, however, I will not attempt this feat.

Thanks, Phil!

Speedycop/NSF Racing /Pinewood Dirtbags
'10 Summit, CMP3, Autobahn, '11 CMP1, NJMP, CMP2, Summit, G'man, Stafford, Charlotte, Autobahn, ECR '12 CMP1, NJMP, G'man, NHMS1, Summit, CMP2, NHMS2, ECR, '13 CMP1, ECR, Summit, NJMP, THill, CMP2, MSR, NHMS, Sears '14 Barber, Sears1, ECR, CMP1, NJMP1, BWillow, Sebring, CMP2, THill, Sears2, '15 Sears1, Barber, Ridge, THill, '16 Sears1

Phil, if you do drive the K here, I'll gladly let it chillax in front of my place for weeks.

1978 AMC Pacer - The Blue Flag Special
BFE GP '12 - IOE
BFE GP '13 - Co-Organizer's Choice w/ Speed Holes Wrenching

cpchampion wrote:
Maverick74 wrote:

I'll order some calipers. ECR is murder on brakes.
Is that a front passenger caliper, or rear?
What year model is this hooptie, anyway?

Our issue was with the passenger side front. There was no retaining clip so we bent a strap around the caliper and welded it to the carrier.
Car is a 1987 Reliant K

I went to buy new wheel bearings before the race and accidentally bought complete hubs instead. Oh well. We also bought a spare head gasket, head bolt kit and valve cover gasket. We're hoping to get the new oil pan on this week so we'll be using the spare oil pan gasket. I'm also hoping to take care of that oil catch can for you.

Newest member - White Trash Racing
Owner of the Traveling Hat

The way things are going, I'd be surprised if the K-car won't have 245-wide Star Specs, big brakes, a 5-speed and a turbo III motor in it by the end of the year.
Alternatively, it'll be a legendary slow-ish wagon full of never-used spares that will get passed around for the next few years o_O.

K Car Stalker

anyone know what the stock specs are for the wheels on the K?

dimensions, tire size, bolt pattern, offset?

Team OK-Speed
Regularly losing in Class A
Soon to start losing in Class C

psychoboy wrote:

anyone know what the stock specs are for the wheels on the K?

dimensions, tire size, bolt pattern, offset?

According to the internet it's a 14 x 6 rim with a 5 x 100 bolt pattern. No idea about offset.

That thing handled pretty well with the used Direzza'a we had on it Saturday. We were actually worried about breaking something in the suspension with that good of a tire. Since we wore out what was left of the Direzza's we ended up putting all season tires on for Sunday.

Newest member - White Trash Racing
Owner of the Traveling Hat

The tires we loaned them were 205/50-15 on PT Cruiser steelies, if that helps anyone down the road.  The diameter was actually smaller than tires mounted on the 14 inch rims.  The smaller sidewalls probably added a lot to the handling by reducing all the side wall wiggle.

Maybe nobody notices the sidewall wiggle when you launch a K Reliant station wagon at the apex...it might get lost in all the other wiggle.

415 (edited by psychoboy 2013-04-23 08:09 AM)

cruiser steelies helps a crap ton!  thanks.

i was gonna try to track down a set of wheels and tires, but 5x100 is a bit of an odd duck in my world.

Team OK-Speed

If it hasn't been done already, converting to 11" brakes is a piece of cake... the calipers and brackets are plentiful on Grand Caravans, and the rotors to buy would be from an '89 Daytona or similar. While you're at it, the later knuckles have easy-service knuckles with bolt-on hubs.

A 1" master cylinder from a van helps that work as well.

Lorin Mueller
Scuderia Asino formerly Team Haulin' Ass - 83 Plymouth Scamp
Team Soccer Moms - 93 Dodge Caravan

Vegas odds makers are salivating at Phil's prospective road trip.

This space for rent.

Omnilith wrote:

If it hasn't been done already, converting to 11" brakes is a piece of cake... the calipers and brackets are plentiful on Grand Caravans, and the rotors to buy would be from an '89 Daytona or similar. While you're at it, the later knuckles have easy-service knuckles with bolt-on hubs.

A 1" master cylinder from a van helps that work as well.

This guy has run a Scamp and Caravan in Lemons and his forum name starts with Omni.  He obviously speaks the K car truth and you should listen.

You know, Psychoboy...the other advantage of PT Cruiser steelies is...

...they fit over 11" PT Cruiser rotors and calipers.

5x100's what we run on our Neon and Passat so we'll bring the leftovers from December (Star Specs), but I don't know if they'll be enough to last the full weekend. We used up 50% of the tread with the VW.

Guest drives: NSF, Rocket Surgery, Property Devaluation, Terminally Confused, Team Sputnik, The Syndicate, Pit Crew Revenge, Spank, Hella Shitty, Sir Jackie Stewart's Coin Purse, Nine Finger Drifters, Salty Thunder, Panting Polar Bear, Vistabeam, Hangar 13, and Escape Velocity.
74 races so far.

RockAuto lists 2 variants on front brake stuff: regular and heavy duty. Does the wagon have the HD brakes?

74 races so far.

421 (edited by psychoboy 2013-04-23 01:27 PM)

i've emailed you albert's/cabinboy's addy. he might be able to answer that question if given some prodding.

i wonder if the police version of the K got the heavy duty....there WAS a police version of that thing, right?

Team OK-Speed

I have no idea what brakes it has, but I would assume it's the standard version. The minivan swap sounds like a capital idea, BTW.

Official photographer/Team Police Brutality|Speedycop & the Gang
Lackey-mechanic-whatever/NSF Racing
Sycophant/Judge Phil, Jay Lamm, Kim Harmon
Galaxie Driver/not Parnelli Jones

too bad i won't have but a week to do anything fun

i might have to look at some updates after ECR for BFE and points west.

Team OK-Speed

cpchampion wrote:

5x100's what we run on our Neon and Passat so we'll bring the leftovers from December (Star Specs), but I don't know if they'll be enough to last the full weekend. We used up 50% of the tread with the VW.

I'm sure the K is holy hell on tires. 50% of the tread might be more tire than this car has seen in its entire life! smile

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

I don't want to be a K car hog (since I'm slated to prep it for the Season Ender), but I believe that if nobody else is interested I can simply make the K-car one of my 2 cars for BFE GP.

I have 8 drivers, many of them complete rookies who have never even driven a stick before. I don't think it would be much of a problem for the others if I  swapped out a Brit car for America's Finest.

What happens to it afterwards becomes a bit of a quandary. My tow rig is at this moment still down, so having the K car already in CO would enable me to drive one of my Brit cars (America or Mini) to Colorado loaded down with spares. But then I believe I have the responsibility to get the car to it's next race, no?

I suppose I could then use the K car to flat-tow my Brit car back to San Diego (or vice-versa?-- Can you imagine the sight of a 2-time IOE-winning 1962 Mini towing a Chrysler Wagon through the Colorado Rockies?!) But that would mean the K car would just be in California for someone to use at Buttonwillow meaning it would miss Joliet and DC...

I guess it's best to keep me as a Plan C for BFE GP and for getting it to the LA/SD area for another team to use at Buttonwillow.

Let the Board Members decide what's what and let me know what I need to prepare for, if anything.

(Also, let it be known that if the K car needs to be driven from point A to point B at some point over some weekend, I'm all for driving it to shuttle it to other races, but I'd need some airfare assistance. Oh, and it can't be the week of or week before Buttonwillow or Northworst since I'm slated to go to those.)