Topic: What part constitutes "the car"?

2.1: Vehicle Eligibility: Entry limited to mass-produced, four-wheeled vehicles legal for US highway use at the time of their manufacture.

Is it the frame, body, or "we know it when we see it"?

For instance, this:  70s Pontiac frame, 60s Datsun body, 30s GM fenders, and a Ford drivetrain.  No paperwork, naturally.  So....eligible?

http://ifgpf1.com/wik/images/5/51/Pop2t.jpg

Re: What part constitutes "the car"?

You need an official ruling from Nick or Jay but it has something to do with the firewall area.

It is an email I got from Jay about a car I picked up a while back:

No, a title was never a requirement, so you're fine there. But the floorpan/unibody issue can bite you in the ass if they've cut all that away and just gone full tube. Otherwise, you're in good shape with that car.

That car looks cool, try to share more pics if you can.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

Dude, that thing looks exactly like the kind of disaster that would be welcomed with open arms at Lemons. Bring it!

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

if it makes it in, here's your theme.

The Nautilus Car from The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen

http://images35.fotki.com/v1129/photos/1/1025640/4427199/nemo1-vi.jpg

1. What kind of meth'd-out freak built that thing?!
2. It is legal and is almost guaranteed acceptance.

It's the 24 Hours Of Lemons Holy Grail!

Yeah, you're in. Don't worry about the BS inspection.

That thing is CREEPILY AWESOME!!!

Sons of STIG
Judge Jonny, "So, what's the next formerly thought to be immune from winning that will steal the nickels?An MR2? A Fierro (ha ha ha)? A Datsun/Nissan Z? A Camaro?"

I thought that nothing could be better than a mid-engined, Studebaker-powered Wartburg on a Lemons track. I was wrong.

That thing is seriously freaking cool. I wanna meet the mad redneck scientist responsible for its creation.

Official photographer/Team Police Brutality|Speedycop & the Gang
Lackey-mechanic-whatever/NSF Racing
Sycophant/Judge Phil, Jay Lamm, Kim Harmon
Galaxie Driver/not Parnelli Jones

It looks like it had a complete nose too... you must fab something up to finish the 30's styling...

Sons of STIG
Judge Jonny, "So, what's the next formerly thought to be immune from winning that will steal the nickels?An MR2? A Fierro (ha ha ha)? A Datsun/Nissan Z? A Camaro?"

Better pics required....please!

We are the people your parents warned you about.

12 (edited by Scud.Ig 2009-11-06 02:39 PM)

Tajracing45 wrote:

That's all I have from the seller.  I wanted a ruling before driving all the way out to check it in person. 

I like the Continental Kit on the back...

http://ifgpf1.com/wik/images/5/51/Pop_mobile.jpg

Scud.Ig wrote:
Tajracing45 wrote:

That's all I have from the seller.  I wanted a ruling before driving all the way out to check it in person. 

Holy crap - this just gets better and better. 

At one point in my life I had an epiphany about collecting cars.  I was at the Blackhawk museam with my dad, and we walked up to a 1926 Daimler Salon that had been owned by a maharajah of India.  The car was found after spending decades in the jungle, and the new owner had it hauled out BY ELEPHANTS.  He then proceeded to restore this amazing piece of machinery into a thing of indescribable beauty.

At that moment, I gave up.  I realized that even if I were to become rich, famous, and powerful, I would likely never ever ever have a car as amazing as that one in my collection.  Even if I bought that exact car, I wouldn't have been the guy that hauled it out of an Indian jungle with Elephants.  Good thing too - cars are much more fun as toys than as collectors items.

The point is, I think you may have just stumbled across the Lemons equivalent of my '26 Daimler.  All Hail!

Fame and glory await. They are yours for the taking. Go get that ride!

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

i think this car just created it's own class at Lemons...

THE EPIC LEMON!!!!

Yeah, this would be tough to beat. Definite Organizer's Choice material.

if you somehow can win overall you can be the first car to win every award at an event at the same time.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

I suddenly feel anything I do with the Wartburg will be completely inadequate.  That car kicks ass.

http://wartburg.misfittoysracing.com
OTTER: "I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part."
BLUTO: "We're just the guys to do it."

JThw8 wrote:

I suddenly feel anything I do with the Wartburg will be completely inadequate.  That car kicks ass.

Nonsense!

There are so many wonderful thing you could do with the Wartburg. For instance, mount a 928 motor in the trunk and rebody it to look like a Tatra T87

"This is the scene where I get shot," Bronson said. "I have these little squibs that explode to make it look like bullets are hitting." "Fascinating," said Bergman. "I never knew how they did that." "You mean," asked Bronson, "you don't use machine guns in your movies?"

Scud.Ig wrote:
Tajracing45 wrote:

DRIVE OUT NOW!  That car is so horrible in so many ways, it may just as well be one of the most stunning pieces of automobilia I have ever seen. There is no good angles on that at all.  It may have been put together by a blind man in the middle of a opium bender.  I love it, and it is true Lemons material.  I'm just glad it's too far away, as the LeCar would get the heave ho to free up the garage space for that creation.  Good luck, and we all want to see more pictures as you build up that monstrosity.

Bloomington, IN
We'll bring Beer!  Motorsports
Team Fiery Death! #0 2009 Lamest Day(65th), 2010 American Irony(24th), 2010 Detroit Bull(4th),2012 Capitol Offense (8th) 2012 American Irony (11 th), 2013 Capitol Offense (3rd) 2013 Chubba Chedder (4th, Judge Choice!) Now sadly part of a scrap pile. 
Toothless Racing Deadbeats #110 2011 Summit Point (61st) Currently being rebuilt into the new car!

Judge Jonny wrote:
JThw8 wrote:

Nonsense!

There are so many wonderful thing you could do with the Wartburg. For instance, mount a 928 motor in the trunk and rebody it to look like a Tatra T87

Well, no 928 motor but there's considerable Porsche influence in the current plan if it helps smile

Rebody?  The body is frickin beutiful...but it may need a bit of um....widening....

The rest of the team balked at my plan to cut 6 inches out of the middle and make it a 2 door.  They lack ambition.  But with 6 inches removed it would have fit a miata drivetrain perfectly wink

OTTER: "I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part."

JThw8 said the M word.

Regarding the funky contraption, I want it.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

Troy wrote:

JThw8 said the M word.

Regarding the funky contraption, I want it.

Sorry, didnt mean to use the foul M word here.  If anyone thinks those (amongst others) should be banned from consideration for Lemons its me.  Our team has 2 of those and 2 of the other (b word e30) all under Lemons budget and eligible and you will never see us bring them to an event.  Lemons should be more like the circus side show, lots of freaks smile

So, did you get it? You didn't say that it is in the DFW area!

Would my wife totally kill me if I showed up with this at the house? Would it be worth it anyway?

Last weekend was NASCAR weekend, so that filled it up.  This weekend's looking ok if the seller is available.

I wouldn't be heartbroken if an experienced team got it, at least it would have a better chance to get to the track.