Topic: K to Buttonwillow 1300 miles in 24 hours.

Steve got a late start but is passing through El Paso from College Station enroute to Buttonwillow to race the K this weekend,  He is running cool and strong on his solo drive across the desert.  Heroic indeed.  He is keeping us updated on FaceBook.  Here's his last update.

A tale of two nuts.....
No not mine, and really there were 4 nuts, but only 2 have come into play.... so far.
50 miles east of El Paso I started hear a very sharp clunk when I hit a big bump. So when I stopped for fuel I had a look around and discovered the top mounting bolt of the left rear shock was missing. Completely my fault. I loosened it and never tightened back down...

This morning when I was packing my clothes I ran across 4 nuts on the dresser that I had carried home at some point and discarded. I thought, ill just stick those in my pocket....
1 in now holding on the left rear shock and another is playing the part of a left/right shifter cable bushing...
I hope I find no need for the other 2 anytime soon.

WARNING to future K car captains....
The nut didn't fit exactly .... so if you ever want or need to change thar shock, be prepared to change the bolt as well.... cuz its cross-threaded like a mo for!!

Back on the road.... 

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/1043978_10152980012380721_1173187410_n.jpg

This space for rent.

Re: K to Buttonwillow 1300 miles in 24 hours.

No updates in 11 hours?  I need entertained!  Come on!!!!

"He attacked everything in life with a mixture of extraordinary genius and naive incompetence, and it was often difficult to tell which was which."   -Adams, Douglas.   The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

14x loser @ Gingerman, Autobahn, Summit Point, New Jersey, Road 'Merica, and Barber

Go K Go!

The K will be going through the hottest part of the continent, during the hottest part of the day, on the hottest week of the year. After that, it will climb the infamous Grapevine, setting for the song "Hot Rod Lincoln."

Then it gets to race in 108 degree temperatures at Buttonwillow.

This is the chatter on FaceBook:... 

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc1/1005271_10152981636590721_1128735168_n.jpg

Doug Kirchberg The K-It FWD project has left "extra" nuts and bolts (and engines) all across our fair land.
11 hours ago · Like

Ron Vickers Ahh, the ultra-rare Brembo 8-piston carbon-ceramic brake option...
11 hours ago · Like

Bob Mitchell I like the way he is using that 1 7/8ths drum brake to cover his cheatiness. Clever.
11 hours ago · Like · 1

Frank Ferguson Make sure that ecm is getting cool moving air!
11 hours ago · Like

Bob Mitchell I especially like the jump box for tire removal and "shock" repair.
11 hours ago · Like · 1

Phil Greden $500 CAR MY ASS!!!1!
10 hours ago · Like · 1

Doug Kirchberg I know, right? Totally depends on local scrap values. At 2,300lb, it could be a $161 car in the Midwest; on the coasts it could be as much as a $276 car.
10 hours ago · Like · 1

Doug Kirchberg There must be a way we can arbitrage the shit out this to become K-carless bazillionaires.
10 hours ago · Like

Phil Greden THAT IS A CLASIC CAR WHY U RUINT IT MY ARIES WORTH 6000$
10 hours ago · Like · 5

Doug Kirchberg I would like to purchase your fine wagon for half of which you are asking as I look to provide a safe car for my college-aged daughter. <then we Lemons that mofo>
10 hours ago · Like · 3

Bill LaBarge Getting hot in you direction 130 in Death valley today only 102 here !!! Drive Fast Take Chances
2 hours ago · Like · 1

Phil Greden Oh jeez, he'll be hitting the hottest part of the continent during the hottest time of the day, in the hottest week of the year.
about an hour ago · Like

Brandon Spears He's dumb like that.
about an hour ago · Like

Steven R Mcdaniel 2 hour nap in the back of the K, fill up with fuel and ice and a quart of oil...... back on the road.

500 miles to go....
about an hour ago · Unlike · 3

Steven R Mcdaniel Now the tough choice ..... through LA..... or around LA....??
about an hour ago · Like

Brandon Spears Map shows traffic kicking in.
about an hour ago · Like

Phil Greden I'd be more worried about climbing the Grapevine in the heat than the traffic on I-10 and 210... but there's no easy way to bypass the LA area, thanks to the mountains.
about an hour ago · Like

Phil Greden I suppose you could do a 15/395/58 route via Edwards AFB and Bakersfield, but that still involves steep grades and being stuck in hardcore middle-o-nowhere if you break.
57 minutes ago · Like

Steven R Mcdaniel Yeah that was my plan.... but there is a lot of BFE out there.... and some of those desert rats are scary..... like Deliverance at 115°
50 minutes ago · Like

Phil Greden I'd just tough out the LA traffic and the Grapevine. You're not going to be on the very worst congested highways, and the Grapevine only has maybe 10 miles of super-ball-busting grades.
40 minutes ago · Like

Phil Greden Plus, the Grapevine is the setting for "Hot Rod Lincoln." Such history!
39 minutes ago · Like

Derek Spears The grade is actually easier going north. It's steeper going down than up that way
33 minutes ago via mobile · Like

Phil Greden The cheaty brakes on the K-Car can handle any grade! Though it might be wise to be aware of the locations of the runaway truck ramps.
30 minutes ago · Like

Steven R Mcdaniel Performance Friction baby!!!
27 minutes ago via mobile · Like

Phil Greden I've only been stuck on the Grapevine with overheating cars maybe a half-dozen times. Of course, those were total hoopties, not like this fine machine.
25 minutes ago · Like · 1

Bob Mitchell Someone needs to be sure to have a ultra fast camera. I've got a feeling the key hand-off will be something like *Pweeewh*. Something exactly like that.

This space for rent.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc1/1013485_10152981752735721_287087459_n.jpg

OH no.  We're broke.  No updates to why!  More to come...

This space for rent.

Just saw that. Crap!

Newest member - White Trash Racing
Owner of the Traveling Hat

Forecast high temperature for the breakdown spot is 119 degrees.

The car never would have broken if you weren't messing around on that Facebook Thing.

Facebook Sucks.   Luddites Unite!

Dangerous Banned Technology (NOLA 09), Judges Choice (Houston 2010), Organizers Choice (NOLA 2010), Most Heroic Fix (Dallas 2010), $100 from Jay's Pocket (Dallas 2010), Dangerous Homemade Technology (NOLA 2010), Ununhexium Legends of Lemons Status,  Index of Effluency (Dallas 2011), Most Heroic Fix - (Houston 2011), Index of Effluency (TWS - 2012), Organizers Choice (Dallas 2013)

Lots of fuel issue speculation - there are active chats on several Facebook pages and a lot of people following this fool's errand today.

Rally Baby 87 Audi 4KQ, Audi 90 Quattro Coupe, 1975 Mercedes R107, 87 E30s, E36s, the Whorenet, Rocco...
J. Phil: "Audis Never Win".  He might be right.But!, the K Dominates 2013 NJ and NH (not, but...). 
Stafford 2011 podium, 2nd NJMP 2013, Summit Point 2012 "WV ASSimilation award"
NJMP 2012 Organizer's Choice - R107, 2013 Monticello IOE Whorenet ! Organizers, CMP fall 2013 w/NSF

From his Facebook posts it seems it was a bad O2 sensor. He's back on the road.

Newest member - White Trash Racing
Owner of the Traveling Hat

He's 60 or so miles out.  Just about ran that thing out of gas but he's fine and needs a beer.  What a knucklehead.  We couldn't be prouder.

This space for rent.

The K made it!

1624 miles. 35 hours. 5 bags of ice, most of which was dumped, rubbed and melted over my various body parts, some cooled beverages. A few minor issues . The O2 failure in 120° heat was the worse.  It was not a good day to spend 4 hours wrenching in the sun in Blythe CA..... by the way,  people of Blythe.... plant some damn shade trees!!! There was not a shady spot to be found. By the time I got it fixed there wasn't a surface on the car that wouldn't burn the crap out of ya.... climbing in and driving the next 3 hours across the desert was seriously like driving a toaster oven. One of most miserable things
I've ever had to do...

But, its here and we be racing tomorrow!

Thanks to everyone for the support and encouragement.

51 time Loser.

LeMonster wrote:

1624 miles. 35 hours. 5 bags of ice, most of which was dumped, rubbed and melted over my various body parts, some cooled beverages. A few minor issues . The O2 failure in 120° heat was the worse.  It was not a good day to spend 4 hours wrenching in the sun in Blythe CA..... by the way,  people of Blythe.... plant some damn shade trees!!! There was not a shady spot to be found. By the time I got it fixed there wasn't a surface on the car that wouldn't burn the crap out of ya.... climbing in and driving the next 3 hours across the desert was seriously like driving a toaster oven. One of most miserable things
I've ever had to do...

But, its here and we be racing tomorrow!

Thanks to everyone for the support and encouragement.

Steven R. Fucking McDaniel for the win.  Poorly done, sir.  Poorly done.

Speedycop/NSF Racing /Pinewood Dirtbags
'10 Summit, CMP3, Autobahn, '11 CMP1, NJMP, CMP2, Summit, G'man, Stafford, Charlotte, Autobahn, ECR '12 CMP1, NJMP, G'man, NHMS1, Summit, CMP2, NHMS2, ECR, '13 CMP1, ECR, Summit, NJMP, THill, CMP2, MSR, NHMS, Sears '14 Barber, Sears1, ECR, CMP1, NJMP1, BWillow, Sebring, CMP2, THill, Sears2, '15 Sears1, Barber, Ridge, THill, '16 Sears1

Glad to wake up to not read that the bones of Steven R. Fucking McDaniel are being picked clean by turkey vultures in the desert.

Rally Baby 87 Audi 4KQ, Audi 90 Quattro Coupe, 1975 Mercedes R107, 87 E30s, E36s, the Whorenet, Rocco...
J. Phil: "Audis Never Win".  He might be right.But!, the K Dominates 2013 NJ and NH (not, but...). 
Stafford 2011 podium, 2nd NJMP 2013, Summit Point 2012 "WV ASSimilation award"
NJMP 2012 Organizer's Choice - R107, 2013 Monticello IOE Whorenet ! Organizers, CMP fall 2013 w/NSF

+1

You shall go down in the anals [sic] of Lemons!

"He attacked everything in life with a mixture of extraordinary genius and naive incompetence, and it was often difficult to tell which was which."   -Adams, Douglas.   The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

14x loser @ Gingerman, Autobahn, Summit Point, New Jersey, Road 'Merica, and Barber

The Super K has been running all day.  Apparently those silly fender flares were installed for a reason.  The guys put some silly big drag type tires on the front end.  Also, it's so frigg'n hot at Buttonwillow the current driver made a pit-stop directly to the showers... took a shower in his firesuit and belted back up and hit the track. 

Crazy town!

Speedycop/NSF Racing /Pinewood Dirtbags
'10 Summit, CMP3, Autobahn, '11 CMP1, NJMP, CMP2, Summit, G'man, Stafford, Charlotte, Autobahn, ECR '12 CMP1, NJMP, G'man, NHMS1, Summit, CMP2, NHMS2, ECR, '13 CMP1, ECR, Summit, NJMP, THill, CMP2, MSR, NHMS, Sears '14 Barber, Sears1, ECR, CMP1, NJMP1, BWillow, Sebring, CMP2, THill, Sears2, '15 Sears1, Barber, Ridge, THill, '16 Sears1

DC Doug wrote:

The guys put some silly big drag type tires on the front end. 

Crazy town!

Yea the Daytona came with some CRAZY inset rims when i bought it that i threw in, out of the kindness of my heart, when i sold Brandon and Steve the car. The team before me had them custom made....

2011 Organizers choice at Garrapatas Peligrosas GP as a Rookie team! 2011 Yee-Haw its Lemons Scruffy Nerf Herder 1991 Dodge Daytona IROC Shelby R/T Charger, 2012 Yee-Haw its Lemons 1972 RX2 IOE WINNERS!!!!, 2012 North Dallas Hooptie the arrival of JUDGE FRANK! 2012 Gator-rama in the 1977 Mustang II, 2012 Season Ender the HONORABLE JUDGE FRANK! 2013 BFE GP in the K-Car and an I Got Screwed Award

You guys are full of shit.  Pictures or it never happened.  Word!!1!!  !!!111!!!

-... .. - -.-. .... . ...

This space for rent.

DC Doug wrote:

The Super K has been running all day.  Apparently those silly fender flares were installed for a reason.  The guys put some silly big drag type tires on the front end.  Also, it's so frigg'n hot at Buttonwillow the current driver made a pit-stop directly to the showers... took a shower in his firesuit and belted back up and hit the track. 

Crazy town!

Only counts if he never took off the helmet !

Bloomington, IN
We'll bring Beer!  Motorsports
Team Fiery Death! #0 2009 Lamest Day(65th), 2010 American Irony(24th), 2010 Detroit Bull(4th),2012 Capitol Offense (8th) 2012 American Irony (11 th), 2013 Capitol Offense (3rd) 2013 Chubba Chedder (4th, Judge Choice!) Now sadly part of a scrap pile. 
Toothless Racing Deadbeats #110 2011 Summit Point (61st) Currently being rebuilt into the new car!

This space for rent.

davisriley wrote:
DC Doug wrote:

Crazy town!

Only counts if he never took off the helmet !

That was me.... and I did take off my helmet. You simply cannot get proper head and neck saturation with ur helmet on......

A ruff day in Kland.... we were battling what we believe is a vaporlocking issue
Made some improvements that I think will fix it. So I hope to be at full song tomorrow.  Fellow racers, you have been warned.... and don't cry and run 4 wheels off when u get passed by the K. Its just not sportin.... or manly.

We're not going to move too far up in the standings,  but hopefully we can run all day and have some fun....

51 time Loser.

GoManGo!!1!!

This space for rent.

well?

I am waiting for the rest of the story!

Rob R.

Ghetto motorsports - Car #555 1980 Mazda RX7 (3x winner of BFE GP / 1x 2nd place of BFE GP...BOO!)
Car #350 78 Chevy Malibu (Least horrible Yank Tank, Heroic Fix) (Gone)
Car # 556 1987 Mazda RX7 (6th place MMC 2013) (1st place Capitol Offense 2013)