1 (edited by Rob Stercraw 2010-01-26 10:28 AM)

Topic: Article from 1981 on the Ford Fairmont Durango - woohoo

Back in June, I bought an '81 Fairmont Durango (2 door coupe converted into an Ranchero-style pickup by a coachbuilder in SoCal and then sold through Ford dealerships) and with it came some literature including a copy of an article on the thing from a 1995 issue of Collectible Automobile magazine.

That article referenced a review in the December, 1981 issue of Pickup, Van & 4WD.  I found the mag on ebay and it arrived yesterday.  Pretty neat article including a picture of a car undergoing the conversion process and a line of 15 finished units.  If the production number mentioned in the article is correct - there's about a 1 in 7 chance my truck is in that article!

I've uploaded a scanned copy to scribd if anyone is interested.

http://www.scribd.com/people/documents/ … -ratbert86

I've been gathering parts to make it a proper hoonmobile (it currently slumbers in my driveway with a headless 200-6 in it's engine bay).  I have most of what I need for the SEFI 5.0 conversion, just have to get the daily drivers issues handled and this in the garage and it's GAME ON!

Proudly pissing off Pick 'n Pull employees since 1991
Team The Homer

1981 Ford Fairmont Durango

Re: Article from 1981 on the Ford Fairmont Durango - woohoo

That was a very cool read! Thanks for sharing. I look froward to seeing your Dingo as a paddock ride in the near future.

"Real ZomBees prefer Bacon"
IOE(x2) MGB/SAAB 96, Judge's Choice, Class C Win, & 2011 Hooniverse Car of the Year!
MRolla, Stick Figure/Animal House, Free Range MR2, SAAB Sonett, "The Death Flip"
2008 Exoskeleton Jag Fiasco, Concours d Lemons - Rue Britannia, worse British car.

3 (edited by gierhead66 2013-06-20 07:25 PM)

Robert,
Do you still have your Durango? If so, would be willing to pass the VIN onto me? I collect these.
I have 12 so far. And they are 1981 models so far. I am in communications with an 82 Durango owner
and awaiting that VIN. Please get back to me when ya can. I'd appreciate. Thanks, Dale

PS: your link to article is not working today. I'd sure like to see that. Can link be fixed? Or can you send
me a copy over the computer? Thanks again.

http://www.scribd.com/ratbert86

Silversleeves Racing
Austin Mini #42 | John Lemmons Wolseley Hornet
Austin 1800 #49  V6 Landcrab - Organizer's Choice PNW2013 | Class C Winner 2015
Barbie's Corvette #44 - Organizer's Choice PNW2014

Just ran into this today:

http://centralmich.craigslist.org/cto/3880566487.html

The Homer: Powerful like a gorilla, yet soft and yielding like a Nerf ball.

gierhead66 wrote:

Robert,
Do you still have your Durango? If so, would be willing to pass the VIN onto me? I collect these.
I have 12 so far. And they are 1981 models so far. I am in communications with an 82 Durango owner
and awaiting that VIN. Please get back to me when ya can. I'd appreciate. Thanks, Dale

PS: your link to article is not working today. I'd sure like to see that. Can link be fixed? Or can you send

Dale - only my mother calls me Robert...  smile

I have 8 VINs myself - I'd guess we have some in common.  I've only found one '82 that I can verify.  I do still have my Durango, but life has gotten in the way and other than some more parts gathering, I haven't done a lot with it.  Hopefully that will change soon.

here are the ones I have (partials - will give you the complete ones if desired)
3bk197936 - just sold on ebay this week
4BK197931 - sold on Bay Area CA Craigslist in 2010
5BK217166 - sold 9/12 in OK ebay
7BK224488 - MS car listed twice on ebay 10/12, 4/13
8BK197950 - $11K @ dealership in TX 9/12 - just looked, they still have it
9CK128024 - 1982 model.  Super rusty, Durango parts salvaged when scrapped
xbk164982 - ebay 10/12 - V8 conversion
mine - don't have it handy but yeah I have no problem sharing it

Proudly pissing off Pick 'n Pull employees since 1991
Team The Homer

1981 Ford Fairmont Durango

I bought a Durango and will be picking it up next saturday.

well dangit hit the wrong button. I was looking at the article you posted and the Durango I bought looks like the dark colored one in the picture to the left of the cae
with the sunroof. I have been trying to find/buy one for a while with little success. Just 7 more sleeps and it's roadtrip time to pick it up.

Had my Durango for a week now. I was looking at the article you posted and have a very strong feeling the car I bought is in the picture of all the durnagos lined up. It is the dark one in front to the left of the 2tone car at the very front. There are pics of the car all over the net. They were taken at the previous owners shop in Oklahoma. I can't imagine they painted more than one like that, the paint is over the factory cordovan brown. Some of the pics show the car with wheel covers, other it has the lx5.0 wheels. Now the search is on for the more elusive items to get the restoration started

Do any of you gentleman happen to know the "Parts that were used" to make up the bed of the Durango.

We have a 1981.  It's the White with the yellow stripe.  Dad purchased it a couple of years ago (along with a Ranchero, can't remember the year of it) from a used car lot in Arkansas (that dude has Daddy's number, I swear).  if I remember correctly it was out of Arizona.

Anyway Dad drives it all the time.  He broke the tail light lens cover and I'm trying to get it replaced.

I call it the Dude Magnet, I can't go anywhere in it that men don't stop me and ask about it. (I've heard about this car, didn't think I'd ever really get to see one). 
I seen one in Hampton, VA a couple years ago, Gold colored.  Heard it coming and went I hear it where is it.  Had foil in my hair so I could vary well chase the man down in the parking lot.

Thank You

Rob Stercraw wrote:
gierhead66 wrote:

Robert,

Dale - only my mother calls me Robert...  smile

I have 8 VINs myself - I'd guess we have some in common.  I've only found one '82 that I can verify.  I do still have my Durango, but life has gotten in the way and other than some more parts gathering, I haven't done a lot with it.  Hopefully that will change soon.

here are the ones I have (partials - will give you the complete ones if desired)
3bk197936 - just sold on ebay this week
4BK197931 - sold on Bay Area CA Craigslist in 2010
5BK217166 - sold 9/12 in OK ebay
7BK224488 - MS car listed twice on ebay 10/12, 4/13
8BK197950 - $11K @ dealership in TX 9/12 - just looked, they still have it
9CK128024 - 1982 model.  Super rusty, Durango parts salvaged when scrapped
xbk164982 - ebay 10/12 - V8 conversion
mine - don't have it handy but yeah I have no problem sharing it

Your 7BK224488 is owned by my father. Located in Arkansas, driven daily.