Re: THE K IS HERE AT THE RIDGE

Judge Phil wrote:

Has anybody ever checked the fuel pickup in this car, or looked for blobs of chewing gum, used condoms, etc in the fuel tank?

Supposedly the car's tank was replaced, as well as the fuel pump. One would hope that whoever put the replacement tank in got it boiled beforehand, but it's best not to assume. Had we had an extra day before or after, I would've loved to have taken the fuel system apart to inspect every part (tank, filter, pump, lines, etc.)

Hella Shitty Racing -- Premium Crapcan Racing since 2010!
- VOTE FORD
- Ferdinand the Bug (2x class C, 1x class B, IoE)
- Ferkel the Nein-11 (Org Choice, class C, Heroic Fix)

Jackasic wrote:

if that is the worst car you have ever driven, you are missing out.

Considering where it is now to where it was, car should probably be in B class.  Not sure why you couldn't find 4th gear, probably because YOU GOTTS NO SKILZ!!!!! Seriously, compared to what I picked up in ECR (I could barely get in the car and it was rod knocking then) to the fact it was driven to this race, essentially  from Texas, you guys need to buy Steven a beer.

BTW, I think the fuel system has a clog in it somewhere, I would blow out all the fuel lines.

There was no cable to get to 4 th gear with the zipped tied together bubble gum fell of and became a 2 piece cable.
The broken piece is on trophy ,held on by the stripped shock bolt and nuts.

Pit Crew Revenge Racing   Rolling chicanelimo,95Lamdspeeder,Gimp Pimp Cadi,300zx Car show kaboom!! 90 Wagovan, mazda v8 Lemons LOGO TATTOO!  Aces 84 Cadi Eldo Briattz I O E WINNER
Class C win with LemonOdy Cannonball Run Whambulance !EX K Captain
Lemons Trophy Truck ShaGuar Baby!

28 (edited by Jackasic 2013-07-22 02:39 PM)

we pulled the tank at Buttonwillow and found nothing amiss.  I am wondering if something got sucked up in to the fuel system at some point.  Maybe the pick up need a swirl pot, it seemed to starve out completely on hard left turns and then run sporadically from then.  If the tank is brand new, why would you need to boil it?

You are confusing Anton's über driving skills for those of a turd wrangler, two different skills sets. They do not necessarily transfer over.  4th took a special touch at Denver, done with the seat 6" closer and the clutch 4" higher up wink

the Syndicate - 30 losses and counting ...
89 VW Jettarosa - #337 (11 motors later) <> 67 Mercedes 200 - #200, winner "most with the least" MSR Feb 11, IOE at MSR June 11 <> 88 Mercedes 560 SEL <> 76 Mercedes SLC - IOE at ECR March 13 <> now pimping performance parts for 1970-1980's Mercedes SEL, SEC, SL, SLC's

Tom there is a piece oh hose inside return line as a restrictor .
Also there is a wrecking yard new fuel pressure regulator in the wonder boxes .

I will add all work done while In my possession when I get home for Alex .

Pit Crew Revenge Racing   Rolling chicanelimo,95Lamdspeeder,Gimp Pimp Cadi,300zx Car show kaboom!! 90 Wagovan, mazda v8 Lemons LOGO TATTOO!  Aces 84 Cadi Eldo Briattz I O E WINNER

SpaceFrank wrote:

Is it the original stock fuel tank?

Replacements available on Rockauto. The most expensive one is $88 plus shipping.

I saw that - at that price, buy two!

(and I think it has a new fuel tank.  Chris mentioned it, and the pump/gauge sender covers looked new and clean)

31 (edited by philikon 2013-07-22 03:53 PM)

Jackasic wrote:

we pulled the tank at Buttonwillow and found nothing amiss.  I am wondering if something got sucked up in to the fuel system at some point.  Maybe the pick up need a swirl pot, it seemed to starve out completely on hard left turns and then run sporadically from then.  If the tank is brand new, why would you need to boil it?

Oh I didn't realize it was a brand new tank! Never mind then.

You are confusing Anton's über driving skills for those of a turd wrangler, two different skills sets. They do not necessarily transfer over.  4th took a special touch at Denver, done with the seat 6" closer and the clutch 4" higher up wink

He's also got über fixing skills, but even his bubble gum fix for the shifter bushings couldn't help us when the cable finally snapped -- I imagine it was already quite worn out before that. We first lost 4th, then 2nd and reverse, and then everything, which makes sense, since 2nd, 4th, and reverse push on the cable while the other gears pull.

Anyway, quite honestly I enjoyed the trip to the junkyard (wish Phil had come along for some article writing) and subsequently fixing the car. It's somewhat satisfying to think that we left the K in slightly less worse condition than how we got it, as disappointing as it is that we couldn't exterminate the fuel system gremlins.

- VOTE FORD

The Ergonomics of getting in and out of the car leave something to be desired when a person is 6' 5".  It could really use a detachable steering wheel.

Somebody mentioned something about a crushed fuel rail?

Team Oly Express
Current car - 1964.5 Plymouth Barracuda, Former car - Size Does Matter 1967 Plymouth Fury
07 IOE Winner Thunderhill, 12 IOE Winner Sears Pointless
https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Team- … 4609354407

Shifter?!? Just reach down, grab the cable, and change gears like a man!

the Syndicate - 30 losses and counting ...
89 VW Jettarosa - #337 (11 motors later) <> 67 Mercedes 200 - #200, winner "most with the least" MSR Feb 11, IOE at MSR June 11 <> 88 Mercedes 560 SEL <> 76 Mercedes SLC - IOE at ECR March 13 <> now pimping performance parts for 1970-1980's Mercedes SEL, SEC, SL, SLC's

If you look at the pressure line at fuel rail there is a slight kink put not that looks to reduce flow.

It was stumbling on right handers on this track .

The K got a bad tank of gas at Monticello which is why it didn't finish that race. tSoG picked up the car and put in a new tank and fuel pump before he delivered the car to us at Gingerman. I have no idea if he blew out the fuel lines or any other work. I know he finished putting it all together at 9:00 at night before heading to the track.

Newest member - White Trash Racing
Owner of the Traveling Hat

Jackasic wrote:

Shifter?!? Just reach down, grab the cable, and change gears like a man!

We were honestly considering that at some point, fabbing some sort of contraption to manipulate at least the north-south cable directly -- 3rd and 4th is all you need!

Also, this reminds me of

http://overlymanlyman.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/brakes-you-mean-coward-pedal-580x606.jpg

- VOTE FORD

rocketresto wrote:

Can you get a ride to Olympia where the car is?

I would have a spare fuel pump at least.  Also the other seat never got mounted...well...it has a pink bean bag in it but not sure that qualifies as a seat.  Will see if I can at least inspect the fuel filter and pickup by Thurs.  Drove good this morning but was seeming to starve a little for fuel when I got it over 40 MPH.

I can get a ride, yes.

So, is there a seat with it, just not mounted, or do I need to have someone go find a seat?... And is there a second harness in there? I can bring the harness but I'd have to procure the seat, for sure.

K Car Stalker

firegremlin wrote:
rocketresto wrote:

Can you get a ride to Olympia where the car is?

I would have a spare fuel pump at least.  Also the other seat never got mounted...well...it has a pink bean bag in it but not sure that qualifies as a seat.  Will see if I can at least inspect the fuel filter and pickup by Thurs.  Drove good this morning but was seeming to starve a little for fuel when I got it over 40 MPH.

I can get a ride, yes.

So, is there a seat with it, just not mounted, or do I need to have someone go find a seat?... And is there a second harness in there? I can bring the harness but I'd have to procure the seat, for sure.

There is an old Porsche seat. Not mounted yet. No harness. Or, just go with the big pink, comfy bean bag Chris left in the car.

There is no bar to mount a harness to .
If I remember the fuel is a common EU 3000 or EU 4000 fuel pump . Tom knows the pump and could possibly order with his ship discount.