Re: OTHER crap can races?

I'd have to say that resurfacing is pretty good... but I would love to see before and after pics of you porting some heads.

Sons of STIG
Judge Jonny, "So, what's the next formerly thought to be immune from winning that will steal the nickels?An MR2? A Fierro (ha ha ha)? A Datsun/Nissan Z? A Camaro?"

Haven't seen anyone hand lap a Mini's valves in 25 years...

Jim "Endo" Anderton
30 years of racing and still not Brambilla.....

Fj40Jim,

Nice job on the head.  I have sanded down things like that before but never a head.

I did lap the valves on the Z.

The machine shop will resurface my head for $40 so it's probably worth it.

Growing up in St. Louis, a lot of parts houses did machine work.  I think I had a 4 banger aluminum head checked for cracks, resurfaced and got a valve job for like $65.  Not quite the same here in Houston.

Regarding your pressure plate job, we completely lost the friction material on one side of our clutch disc twice.  I'm just not sure how or why we didn't screw up the flywheel surface in the process.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

Riktor wrote:

I'd have to say that resurfacing is pretty good... but I would love to see before and after pics of you porting some heads.

No way. Can't do it. Tried once 8-10 years ago and I think I actually made the head worse.

Spank wrote:
Riktor wrote:

No way. Can't do it. Tried once 8-10 years ago and I think I actually made the head worse.

I don't want to give away any "secrets" but the eyesore guys have a really good way of resurfacing a head with sandpaper.  We took our head to a machine shop to get looked at and the guy said we didn't need to re-surface it... which works out because we weren't going to pay him to do it anyways.

RobL wrote:

I'm just saying that the more I see, the more I am convinced that the winners are EPIC-LEVEL cheating ( >$500 over budget).  Not in the power department, but in the reliability one.  In order to win the damn race, you need to be there at the end and I'm sure that every team that has won has looked at the Achilles heel of their car, fixed it, and found a way to hide the fix.  I'm willing to bet that every team that has won has had the engine out of thier car.  And once it's out, what do you think they are doing with it?

So you think that a smart cheater would take their outwardly crappy motor and spend $1000 giving it new gaskets everywhere, new bearings and seals, maybe new rings, resurface the head, get a known good clutch, known good radiator, new syncros, etc?

And that all of this work will make a noticeable difference in avoiding mechanical breakdowns while being impossible to detect during the BS inspection?

It certainly sounds plausible, but I don't know how you'd do anything about it.  Give the BS judges a compression tester so the can spot check potential cheaters looking for near-stock compression numbers?  Pull the oil pan and check a rod or main bearing?

AndyDenver wrote:

There'd be no catching them.

HA HA HA HA HA HA HAAAAAA!

You've yet to meet our See Snake.

"This is the scene where I get shot," Bronson said. "I have these little squibs that explode to make it look like bullets are hitting." "Fascinating," said Bergman. "I never knew how they did that." "You mean," asked Bronson, "you don't use machine guns in your movies?"

See Snake?  Is that what the doctor uses for a colonoscopy?

1978 AMC Pacer - The Blue Flag Special
BFE GP '12 - IOE
BFE GP '13 - Co-Organizer's Choice w/ Speed Holes Wrenching

Bearings and rings mostly get you more reliability.  Whether you re-ring your motor is up to you, re-gasketing and re-torquing a motor can give you some cheap insurance.  I'd suggest Loctiting rod and bearing bolts.

Rings and bearing aren't that expensive.  On small block Ford and Chevys, rebuild kits are just cheap.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

Holy Crap - new gaskets, locktite, new bearings !  Who has time or budget for that kind of stuff?

What ever happened to 'buy a piece of crap and race it until it breaks then try and fix it'? 

All that prep works just leads to inflated budgets, pissed off wives / girlfriends, and in the end a) you are still going to break b) your knuckle head teamate (yours not mine) will hit someone and spend an hour in detention. 

It's Lemons not Lemans !!!

Remember, it's never too early to start embellishing the past.

"so there I was, 90mph, sideways on the brink of death ..."

161 (edited by Spank 2009-11-12 09:26 AM)

Spud wrote:

Holy Crap - new gaskets, locktite, new bearings !  Who has time or budget for that kind of stuff?

What ever happened to 'buy a piece of crap and race it until it breaks then try and fix it'? 

All that prep works just leads to inflated budgets, pissed off wives / girlfriends, and in the end a) you are still going to break b) your knuckle head teamate (yours not mine) will hit someone and spend an hour in detention. 

It's Lemons not Lemans !!!

When the block looks like THIS when you get it, you gotta do something...

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k213/Spank226/HPIM0223.jpg?t=1258044283
http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k213/Spank226/HPIM0221.jpg?t=1258044312

We did use new rings, However, we reused many of the gaskets and also reused the rod and main bearings to stay under budget. No loctite, however. Probably shoulda.

Looks like an 850/997/998 BMC A-series....if you used new bend-over lock tabs you won't need Loctite....I remember oil holes and the holes in the bearing shells were a poor match, especially at the front main...I used to use a ball stone and a Dremel tool to put a slight chamfer in the gallery hole. Seemed to help, but stock bearings looked very soft...but if you started with this, you're likely LBC experts...

Jim "Endo" Anderton
30 years of racing and still not Brambilla.....

all i can think about when i see that pic is lapping compound, wet sanding with 80 grit, and a gallon of CLR.

Spank wrote:

When the block looks like THIS when you get it, you gotta do something...

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k213/ … 1258044283
http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k213/ … 1258044312

We did use new rings, However, we reused many of the gaskets and also reused the rod and main bearings to stay under budget. No loctite, however. Probably shoulda.

Jesus Christ!  Of course the $100 donor head I picked up at the salvage yard didn't look much better until it was all cleaned up.

Jer / Schumacher Taxi Service
2010 Spring CMP I.O.E. winner
2010 Sebring overall winner
1996 Miata, 1991 BMW E30, 1987 coROLLa (retired), 1984 Citation (retired), 1993 Miata (retired)