26 (edited by griffer 2013-08-20 06:43 AM)

Re: Super K Tech - Help

yukadas wrote:

It's funny that you mention wiggling the harness.  I remember Ben messing with the harness at one point and it ran better for a bit.  I think I recall that.

Now for the important thing I took away from the last post.  A real live K car enthusiast?  That's kind of sick...even for the Lemons forum.

This and Vigo327's post.

I was there when Ben laid magical hands on the car.

The MAP issue had become so bad the car wouldn't start at all.  Just crank, crank, crank. Then he wiggled, then it started.

Also, the problem is TEMPERATURE sentive.  I say pulle the whole wiring harness, rerun and wrap in heat tape.

But what do I know, I studied theater.

Other than that, my next thought is that there is a pressure problem, and all Ben did was 'delete' the sensor temptorarily by wiggling.

griffer wrote:
yukadas wrote:

It's funny that you mention wiggling the harness.  I remember Ben messing with the harness at one point and it ran better for a bit.  I think I recall that.

Now for the important thing I took away from the last post.  A real live K car enthusiast?  That's kind of sick...even for the Lemons forum.

This and Vigo327's post.

I was there when Ben laid magical hands on the car.

The MAP issue had become so bad the car wouldn't start at all.  Just crank, crank, crank. Then he wiggled, then it started.

Also, the problem is TEMPERATURE sentive.  I say pulle the whole wiring harness, rerun and wrap in heat tape.

But what do I know, I sutdied theater.

Holiday Inn's make us all mechanics.

This space for rent.

NSF wrote:

Holiday Inn's make us all mechanics.

LOL!

The interwebs made me an expert in everything.

29 (edited by widgetsltd 2013-08-20 11:38 AM)

Do you have the correct MAP sensor? You need a non-turbo MAP sensor. The turbo one has a different voltage vs vacuum scale. Assuming that you're at sea level, if you carefully backprobe the signal wire with your DVOM, you should see a bit more than 4 volts with key on/engine off, and perhaps around 1 volt (or maybe less) at idle with 17 or 18 inches mercury vacuum present. If I can remember, maybe I'll look for some more detailed MAP sensor info after I return home from work tonight...

Team Co-Craptain, Los Cerdos Voladores
Plymouth Neon
Yeah, we're horrible...but we're LEAST Horrible

griffer wrote:

griffer wrote:

LOL!

...eccept teh spellingz

"He attacked everything in life with a mixture of extraordinary genius and naive incompetence, and it was often difficult to tell which was which."   -Adams, Douglas.   The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

14x loser @ Gingerman, Autobahn, Summit Point, New Jersey, Road 'Merica, and Barber

yukadas wrote:
griffer wrote:

griffer wrote:

LOL!

...eccept teh spellingz

dammitsoverymuch.

like I have said before the K car is Too Feminine and when It gets to the track with all those Balls of Testoserony  it dies !

Just talk to her nice and tell her your going for a nice drive to dinner in california and she will run fine!

Car does have new coil and distributor cap rotor .

I put a inline fuel pump before the fuel rail and we had right turn starvation.

DID RALLY BABY DROP TANK AND CHECK PICK UP AND FUEL PUMP?

Pit Crew Revenge Racing   Rolling chicanelimo,95Lamdspeeder,Gimp Pimp Cadi,300zx Car show kaboom!! 90 Wagovan, mazda v8 Lemons LOGO TATTOO!  Aces 84 Cadi Eldo Briattz I O E WINNER
Class C win with LemonOdy Cannonball Run Whambulance !EX K Captain
Lemons Trophy Truck ShaGuar Baby!

Can't speak to the pump effectiveness, but visually it was fine when Steve, Brandon,  & I dropped the tank to check it at Buttonwillow. Same for the pickup.

ONSET/Tetanus Racing, est. 2008.
Guest drives: NSF, Rocket Surgery, Property Devaluation, Terminally Confused, Team Sputnik, The Syndicate, Pit Crew Revenge, Spank, Hella Shitty, Sir Jackie Stewart's Coin Purse, Nine Finger Drifters, Salty Thunder, Panting Polar Bear, Vistabeam, Hangar 13, and Escape Velocity.
74 races so far.

widgetsltd wrote:

Do you have the correct MAP sensor? You need a non-turbo MAP sensor. The turbo one has a different voltage vs vacuum scale. Assuming that you're at sea level, if you carefully backprobe the signal wire with your DVOM, you should see a bit more than 4 volts with key on/engine off, and perhaps around 1 volt (or maybe less) at idle with 17 or 18 inches mercury vacuum present. If I can remember, maybe I'll look for some more detailed MAP sensor info after I return home from work tonight...

As I recall, the car runs well at speed for the first 10-15 laps of the day, then it goes to intermittent shit.  And, that shit doesn't appear to correlate with speed, G's, direction of turns.  So, I would guess that if it had the turbo MAP sensor it would always be running rough.

Speedycop/NSF Racing /Pinewood Dirtbags
'10 Summit, CMP3, Autobahn, '11 CMP1, NJMP, CMP2, Summit, G'man, Stafford, Charlotte, Autobahn, ECR '12 CMP1, NJMP, G'man, NHMS1, Summit, CMP2, NHMS2, ECR, '13 CMP1, ECR, Summit, NJMP, THill, CMP2, MSR, NHMS, Sears '14 Barber, Sears1, ECR, CMP1, NJMP1, BWillow, Sebring, CMP2, THill, Sears2, '15 Sears1, Barber, Ridge, THill, '16 Sears1

DC Doug wrote:
widgetsltd wrote:

As I recall, the car runs well at speed for the first 10-15 laps of the day, then it goes to intermittent shit.  And, that shit doesn't appear to correlate with speed, G's, direction of turns.  So, I would guess that if it had the turbo MAP sensor it would always be running rough.

At the Ridge it was always in right hand turns. And it was the worst right at the beginning. The two times in stalled completely out was within 5 laps of the start each morning. Then the German got in and drove it with almost no problems. On my two hour stint in the middle of the day it would sputter on tight right hand turns so I started taking turns wider and never really got completely off the gas and it sputtered a lot less.

To completely contradict everyone else's experience with it and further enhance the magic that is the K.....

Wendell34 wrote:

At the Ridge it was always in right hand turns. And it was the worst right at the beginning. The two times in stalled completely out was within 5 laps of the start each morning. Then the German got in and drove it with almost no problems. On my two hour stint in the middle of the day it would sputter on tight right hand turns so I started taking turns wider and never really got completely off the gas and it sputtered a lot less.

To completely contradict everyone else's experience with it and further enhance the magic that is the K.....

That goes hand-in-hand with a wiring failure. We once had a stumble in the car that only showed up in right hand turns because the battery ground wire was loose but stayed in contact on flats and left hand turns (or vice versa, whichever way it was). Regardless of the direction of the turn, the problem only manifested in a turn because the wire was pulling away from contact. I'd give the harness from the MAP back to the ECU a thorough review. Could even just be a loose wire in the contact at one of the wiring interfaces.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

Mulry wrote:
Wendell34 wrote:

That goes hand-in-hand with a wiring failure. We once had a stumble in the car that only showed up in right hand turns because the battery ground wire was loose but stayed in contact on flats and left hand turns (or vice versa, whichever way it was). Regardless of the direction of the turn, the problem only manifested in a turn because the wire was pulling away from contact. I'd give the harness from the MAP back to the ECU a thorough review. Could even just be a loose wire in the contact at one of the wiring interfaces.

This again.  Check the MAP wires, and also confirm the correct MAP. 

No RB did not drop the tank.

Hello I don't have chrysler experience but a little known problem with the ford klde engine we run is the heater hose connection. There are three connections to the heater one goes to the lower rad hose the other two are looped into each other. If this is not done and you just cap them, The temp sensor in the heater circuit is isolated and the engine temp sender thinks the engine is overheated and goes into limp mode. Just a thought.  Aaron