Re: Yeah, we're getting laps. . .

The obvious solution is a 1.5 diesel and 4 speed out of an early vw rabbit. If you werent going to need to push start it once it blows a headgasket and it will, go with an 010 automatic equipped 1.5d

dead rabbit society: cultured 'n shit.

EriktheAwful wrote:

I'm voting for either a V12 or a Japanese V8.

One of the old Jaguar V12

1992 Saturn SL2 (retired) - Elmo's Revenge -  Class B winner, Heroic Fix winner x2
1969 Rover P6B 3500S(sold) - Super G-Rover - I.O.E Winner, Class C Winner
1996 Saturn SW2 - Elmo's Revenge (reborn!), Saturn SL1  Dazzleshipm Class C x2 and IOE winner
1974 AMC Javelin - Oscar's Trash heap - IOE,”Organizer's Choice" and "I got Screwed" award winner

EriktheAwful wrote:

I know where you can get some of these:
http://www.specialtyengineering.ca/specialty_images/car-surplus-parts/infinity-indy-engines.jpg
15K and up.

erich wrote:
EriktheAwful wrote:

I know where you can get some of these:
http://www.specialtyengineering.ca/specialty_images/car-surplus-parts/infinity-indy-engines.jpg
15K and up.

A buddy of mine drove Indy cars when they first came out with an Indy engine.  They never seemed to be amused when I asked how the Datsun was running.  About the most positive thing he had to say about it was that it did better burnouts than the Olds.  If you look back at the practice charts they were always near the top in practice 1.  By the time they qualified, they were much slower and leaking down 15%.  By the end of the race they were 30-50%.  Another problem was oil pressure.  By the time the first pit stop rolled around, the low oil pressure light was flickering during pit stops.  The response was to raise the pressure, which caused the oil to run hotter eventually lowering the pressure and then it made head sized holes in the block.  I think the Indy diaper was invented for this thing.  For some reason they thought that just because everyone else in endurance racing used steel pressure housing on the dry sump pumps, they could get away with aluminum ones.  That expanded.  And lowered the oil pressure.  After about the 10th time of being interviewed under the caution to clean up the oil from the exploded engine when asked what happened (even though the replay clearly shows the thing spewing clouds of smoke), he answered that something in the motor broke.  For saying that, the engine people got him fired from the ride.  The 1st gen Datsun IRL engine was clearly built with this series in mind.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

Ha - I've already gotten some hate mail in regards to putting a 1UZ in the vette. . .

One PM: "I simply must ask: Why? You're putting some japanese crap in a vette to get lower HP and less reliability than an Lt1?"

Yes sir, yes I am.

Someone claimed an LT1 would be MORE reliable than a 1UZ?  I mean, there's nothing wrong with the LT1, it's a fine enough motor, but even remotely implying that it would be more reliable than a 1UZ is laughable.  It's like comparing your garden fence to the great wall of China, there's just no common frame of reference there.  Those two engines do not belong to the same plane of existence.  ;-)

Quad4 CRX - Wartburg 311 - Civic Wagovan - Parnelli Jones Galaxie - LS400 - Lancia MR2 - Boat - Sentra - 56 Ford Victoria
Known Associate of 3pedal Mafia, Speedycop, and the Russians.  Maybe even NSF.

We've had sufficient LT1s and 1UZs in Lemons to know that the Toyota V8 is much, MUCH more reliable in our race than the GM one. I'd say that the Ford Modular 4.6 (the 16-valve one, not the flaky Mark VIII twin-cam) is the most reliable V8 of all in Lemons. I'm not sure which would piss off the Corvette Jihad the most, but I'm going to say that the 1UZ probably has a slight edge.

Judge Phil wrote:

We've had sufficient LT1s and 1UZs in Lemons to know that the Toyota V8 is much, MUCH more reliable in our race than the GM one. I'd say that the Ford Modular 4.6 (the 16-valve one, not the flaky Mark VIII twin-cam) is the most reliable V8 of all in Lemons. I'm not sure which would piss off the Corvette Jihad the most, but I'm going to say that the 1UZ probably has a slight edge.

You steering me wrong?

Team Lost in the Dark
Winner " I got screwed" and "Jay's dream car"
2012 Gulf region champs

ANY engine that makes the Corvette Jihad angry will please Jay, Nick and Jeff a great deal. Remember, they HATED putting out Corvette Magazine.

Spank's Corvegge angered the Corvette Jihad some, but a Japanese or Ford engine swap would send them right over the edge.

Judge Phil wrote:

ANY engine that makes the Corvette Jihad angry will please Jay, Nick and Jeff a great deal. Remember, they HATED putting out Corvette Magazine.

Spank's Corvegge angered the Corvette Jihad some, but a Japanese or Ford engine swap would send them right over the edge.

I got it: Audi V8 powered Corvette!!!

"THE WONDERMENT CONSORTIUM"
Everything dies baby that's a fact,
But maybe everything that dies someday comes back?

If you make a rotary corvette I will quit my job, sell all my belongings and move to a Tibetan Monestary to live out the rest of my days in quiet service as my life will have been complete.

That is all

ES-CAR-GO 1st gen rx-7 ( formerly Maz-Stache)
Real Hoopties 2012
Capital Offense 2012

I think a German-engined Corvette wouldn't freak out the Corvette Jihad as much as a Japanese one, though it's still a fine idea.

63 (edited by chaase 2013-08-26 12:39 PM)

Judge Phil wrote:

I think a German-engined Corvette wouldn't freak out the Corvette Jihad as much as a Japanese one, though it's still a fine idea.

/agree

German wouldn't be as bad as Japanese. It is a tough call between a Japanese V8 and a Ford V8. To really piss them off you would need a high rev Japanese four banger. Generally, putting anything less than 8 cylinders will piss off the Corvette Jihad. You should see what gets said when there is even a mention of turbo v6 replacing the v8

1992 Saturn SL2 (retired) - Elmo's Revenge -  Class B winner, Heroic Fix winner x2
1969 Rover P6B 3500S(sold) - Super G-Rover - I.O.E Winner, Class C Winner
1996 Saturn SW2 - Elmo's Revenge (reborn!), Saturn SL1  Dazzleshipm Class C x2 and IOE winner
1974 AMC Javelin - Oscar's Trash heap - IOE,”Organizer's Choice" and "I got Screwed" award winner

64 (edited by Baron 2013-08-26 12:08 PM)

Judge Phil wrote:

Hmm, I have a new 5 liter coyote engine sitting on the shelf.. budget exemption?

Team Lost in the Dark
2012 Gulf region champs

chaase wrote:

... It is a tough call between a Japanese V8 and a Ford V8...

Are Ford Y blocks still out there in junkyard land?
I had a pickup with the 292 in it years ago. Kicked out a rod in spectacular fashion, knocking the starter off and destroying the bell housing.
wcpgr?

Baron wrote:
Judge Phil wrote:

Hmm, I have a new 5 liter coyote engine sitting on the shelf.. budget exemption?

Ha, sell it to me for $300 so there doesn't need to be an exemption wink

RandomTask wrote:
Baron wrote:
Judge Phil wrote:

Ha, sell it to me for $300 so there doesn't need to be an exemption wink

Sure, shipping and handling will run a bit over 4g's

Team Lost in the Dark
2012 Gulf region champs

Judge Phil wrote:

An Iron Duke Corvette would be a serious IOE/Org Choice contender.

I bet I could build one to win overall too.

#3 IROC MAIDEN

Scotty wrote:
Judge Phil wrote:

An Iron Duke Corvette would be a serious IOE/Org Choice contender.

I bet I could build one to win overall too.

Challenge accepted.  Get to work!!

Ryan

Looks Good On Paper Racing
#314 V8 E30 Submarine

I made this topic the Question of the Day at TTAC this morning. Lots of good engine-swap ideas!

71 (edited by FuzzyPlushroom 2013-08-30 06:21 AM)

All I can say is, there's a C4 a couple blocks from me that's been sitting under a ratty car cover for close to a year now, and now I have dreams of silly engine swaps.

Volvo redblock with a heap of boost would be at the top of my list.

mharrell: Yeah, SAABs are like that.

That's basically a ford motor as lots of parts switch back and forth except fuel system

FuzzyPlushroom wrote:

All I can say is, there's a C4 a couple blocks from me that's been sitting under a ratty car cover for close to a year now, and now I have dreams of silly engine swaps.

Volvo redblock with a heap of boost would be at the top of my list.

I quite like this idea, but also think a whiteblock i5 would be awesome.  Too bad a RWD manual transmission is very difficult to come by for those.

Quad4 CRX - Wartburg 311 - Civic Wagovan - Parnelli Jones Galaxie - LS400 - Lancia MR2 - Boat - Sentra - 56 Ford Victoria
Known Associate of 3pedal Mafia, Speedycop, and the Russians.  Maybe even NSF.

I have the perfect underpowered motor in the forsale section

If you make a rotary corvette I will quit my job, sell all my belongings and move to a Tibetan Monestary to live out the rest of my days in quiet service as my life will have been complete.

I know I earlier voted for a V12 or Japanese V8, but now I'm thinking you need to ask if Sensory Assault will build a 20B for you. Mildly boosted you'll be near 400hp, or naturally aspirated (but bridgeported) you could probably get near 300hp. Of course their stuff always blows up, but it would be epic for a while. When the Corvette Jihad starts barking just remind them of the Aerovette!