Re: Super K DC to FL to CA to Texas - September Madness

NSF wrote:

K Boom...

Looking for a new engine.

FTFY

Rally Baby 87 Audi 4KQ, Audi 90 Quattro Coupe, 1975 Mercedes R107, 87 E30s, E36s, the Whorenet, Rocco...
J. Phil: "Audis Never Win".  He might be right.But!, the K Dominates 2013 NJ and NH (not, but...). 
Stafford 2011 podium, 2nd NJMP 2013, Summit Point 2012 "WV ASSimilation award"
NJMP 2012 Organizer's Choice - R107, 2013 Monticello IOE Whorenet ! Organizers, CMP fall 2013 w/NSF

Mulry wrote:

I'm going to speculate wildly that this not-completely-unforeseen development may impair the K's appearance at MSR-H in 2 weeks. But I hope not.

We don't give up that easily. It will appear; there's just a question of how much track time it'll see. I haven't heard anything yet about if/how the new engine is running.

This is making me glad we only managed to get the bare minimum of drivers signed up, though.

Fucking screwed award AGAIN.  God Hates LI.   Son OF a BITCH!!!!1!11!1!!       F F F F F F !!!!  F

This space for rent.

DC is driving back to Houston w the k.  He'll drop it off w/ SF and bob-tail it home.  Frank, find an engine.  The PNP may be sour.

b

This space for rent.

I guess they never got it running, then?

Is there a FSM for the engine donor with the car currently? I'm going to order one if not. Does anyone know which car the JY motor came out of?

here's Lee's house.  You're not too far.  Might want to just drop it.  Just sayin'.
http://virtualglobetrotting.com/map/lee … ?service=0

Rally Baby 87 Audi 4KQ, Audi 90 Quattro Coupe, 1975 Mercedes R107, 87 E30s, E36s, the Whorenet, Rocco...
J. Phil: "Audis Never Win".  He might be right.But!, the K Dominates 2013 NJ and NH (not, but...). 
NJMP 2012 Organizer's Choice - R107, 2013 Monticello IOE Whorenet ! Organizers, CMP fall 2013 w/NSF

Engine needs timing belt, water pump, and clutch. Plan on pulling the whole thing and doing some welding. More info tomorrow.

K Car Stalker

You could see clear through the oil pan from one side to the other. It was impressive.
Funny thing is that Jeff said it was actually running pretty good and not stumbling and was fun to drive before the earth shattering K boom.

When I left the K had been pushed onto Doug's trailer and then his truck died and wouldn't start. The Thunderhill gates were scheduled to be locked in 20 minutes. He might still be there.

Doug apparently had a battery problem, but he did get on the road last night.

If the K still needs a clutch, I guess we will be pulling the motor out. This evening will ne a mad dash to get the other car out of the garage.

Alright, so, here are the details:

- Oil pan has a crack in it and needs to be cleaned up and welded up, or replaced.
- Water pump seeps coolant - I'd recommend checking cooling system for airtightness while the engine is on the stand.
- Timing belt needs to be installed and compression checked. If the valves are bent (shouldn't be), you have the old motor that has nice, clean heads and valves.
- Clutch needs replacement.
- Clutch lever needs to be fixed the right way - what's there now is a sloppy fix.
- Replace front and rear main seals, and front and rear cam seals while you're in there.
- Reuse valve covers and gaskets from the blown engine, those gaskets are fresh and supple.
- This car NEEDS an oil cooler. Water to oil sandwich coolers from a Volvo should, in theory, fit - but try first. Oil gets HOT in that thing.
- Car needs a lift. There are spring spacers somewhere inside, but a better way would be to get much stiffer springs off of some other car and cut them to size.
- There's an upper intake manifold in the rear passenger side of the car somewhere, as well as a Motorcraft 2bbl carb and a rebuild kit. Tee off of the fuel return line with the T being higher than carb level, and use that to gravity-feed the carb.
- Don't rev it past 5K.
- If there's room for Road America, I want in o_O

K Car Stalker

Am I the only person who has done a full 2 hour stint in the K?  Come on people!!!

"He attacked everything in life with a mixture of extraordinary genius and naive incompetence, and it was often difficult to tell which was which."   -Adams, Douglas.   The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

14x loser @ Gingerman, Autobahn, Summit Point, New Jersey, Road 'Merica, and Barber

I drove past and over several pieces of con rods just at the main flagging station after the K car rolled off to the outside of the track (almost right in front of the K car paddock area).

Dudes Ex Machina: https://www.facebook.com/dudesexmachina

?Everyone who has ever built anywhere a 'new heaven' first found the power thereto in his own hell- Frederick Nietzsche

Insert Rotary.

Dominate.

That is all.

Dangerous Banned Technology (NOLA 09), Judges Choice (Houston 2010), Organizers Choice (NOLA 2010), Most Heroic Fix (Dallas 2010), $100 from Jay's Pocket (Dallas 2010), Dangerous Homemade Technology (NOLA 2010), Ununhexium Legends of Lemons Status,  Index of Effluency (Dallas 2011), Most Heroic Fix - (Houston 2011), Index of Effluency (TWS - 2012), Organizers Choice (Dallas 2013)

It's not too late for a rear-wheel-drive conversion... with a Mitsubishi Astron out of a Starion. DOMINATION!!!!!1!

Also, I am feeling less enthusiastic about driving this terrible, terrible car from Denver to Sears. Unless it gets a Starion engine, of course, in which case it will be absolutely bulletproof.

Judge Phil wrote:

It's not too late for a rear-wheel-drive conversion... with a Mitsubishi Astron out of a Starion. DOMINATION!!!!!1!

Also, I am feeling less enthusiastic about driving this terrible, terrible car from Denver to Sears. Unless it gets a Starion engine, of course, in which case it will be absolutely bulletproof.

It does fine on the highway. It just dies on the track. I'm sure it will be PERFECT for the drive from Denver in December. Eighth engine is a charm.

I'm disappointed because it was actually running well on the track this time and doing reasonably well and going reasonably fast. Until, you know, K-Blooey.

Judge Phil wrote:

It's not too late for a rear-wheel-drive conversion... .

I asked Jay about this, he said no, even Hell No.

the Syndicate - 30 losses and counting ...
89 VW Jettarosa - #337 (11 motors later) <> 67 Mercedes 200 - #200, winner "most with the least" MSR Feb 11, IOE at MSR June 11 <> 88 Mercedes 560 SEL <> 76 Mercedes SLC - IOE at ECR March 13 <> now pimping performance parts for 1970-1980's Mercedes SEL, SEC, SL, SLC's

yukadas wrote:

Am I the only person who has done a full 2 hour stint in the K?  Come on people!!!

I did at the Ridge. 2 hours. I swear. And it was actually fun almost the whole time. A couple of stumbles but no full stalls. I was smiling the whole time. I think I may have actually giggled. It is just so awful.

Jackasic wrote:
Judge Phil wrote:

It's not too late for a rear-wheel-drive conversion... .

I asked Jay about this, he said no, even Hell No.

Maybe he was just trying to prevent anyone from putting any more time into this contraption. Trying to get people to back away slowly from the K. Whereas Phil keeps encouraging us.
We are all in a hole. The only way out is to keep digging.

Mike C. wrote:

here's Lee's house.  You're not too far.  Might want to just drop it.  Just sayin'.
http://virtualglobetrotting.com/map/lee … ?service=0

Leave it in his pool.

yukadas wrote:

That's 'cause you were stuck in the car.

Mike C. wrote:
yukadas wrote:

That's 'cause you were stuck in the car.

Come on, Mike.  Don't bore the people with details and semantics.

"He attacked everything in life with a mixture of extraordinary genius and naive incompetence, and it was often difficult to tell which was which."   -Adams, Douglas.   The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

14x loser @ Gingerman, Autobahn, Summit Point, New Jersey, Road 'Merica, and Barber

yukadas wrote:

Everyone who raced it at Gingerman got full seat time...

Fourteen time loser. You'd think I'd know better by now.

Maverick74 wrote:
yukadas wrote:

Everyone who raced it at Gingerman got full seat time...

And I got a full stint in at the beginning of Buttonwillow, but the stumbling issues started happening near the end of said stint. Never ran well again that weekend.

ONSET/Tetanus Racing, est. 2008.
Guest drives: NSF, Rocket Surgery, Property Devaluation, Terminally Confused, Team Sputnik, The Syndicate, Pit Crew Revenge, Spank, Hella Shitty, Sir Jackie Stewart's Coin Purse, Nine Finger Drifters, Salty Thunder, Panting Polar Bear, Vistabeam, Hangar 13, and Escape Velocity.
74 races so far.

I'm not joking. The K is The Worst Lemons Car of All Time. Anyone who drives this car deserves a special award.

Judge Phil wrote:

I'm not joking. The K is The Worst Lemons Car of All Time. Anyone who drives this car deserves a special award.

And a psych exam?

Newest member - White Trash Racing
Owner of the Traveling Hat