1 (edited by stanculpepper 2013-09-22 07:34 PM)

Topic: My prayers go out to the Brayton family #22

My prayers go out to the Brayton family. May God comfort you.

Would anyone like to tell us fellow Lemonites about Sidney? I read he is a veteran racer. I would like to know details if anyone wants to share.

22 is the car number I would like to add it to our car for the 24 at MSRH.

I found this online.

By JOHN MONK — jmonk@thestate.com

CAMDEN, SC — A 63-year-old man competing in the annual marathon Lemons road race in northern Kershaw County died Saturday after he suffered a fatal heart attack while driving.

“It’s going to be a natural death – he suffered a heart attack and died before he wrecked,” Kershaw County coroner Johnny Fellers said Sunday.

Sidney Brayton, of Norcross, Ga., was riding around the 2.3 mile speedway north of Camden when his car veered off the track, went into sand and finally struck a stack of tires meant as a guard rail, Fellers said.

More than 1,000 were watching when the crash occurred, Fellers estimated.

All of Brayton’s required safety equipment – including his helmet, upper body restraint system, fireproof suit and roll bar – was functioning and worked as it should, Fellers said.

An autopsy Sunday morning proved he died of the heart attack, Fellers said.

Kershaw County Sheriff Jim Matthews got a report on the incident from a deputy, one of several deputies driving in the race.

“He never hit the brakes and slammed right into the guard rail.

No one else was injured in the crash.

Re: My prayers go out to the Brayton family #22

Here's the link - http://www.midlandsconnect.com/news/sto … ?id=949811

Godspeed Sidney, godspeed.

Bloomington, IN
We'll bring Beer!  Motorsports
Team Fiery Death! #0 2009 Lamest Day(65th), 2010 American Irony(24th), 2010 Detroit Bull(4th),2012 Capitol Offense (8th) 2012 American Irony (11 th), 2013 Capitol Offense (3rd) 2013 Chubba Chedder (4th, Judge Choice!) Now sadly part of a scrap pile. 
Toothless Racing Deadbeats #110 2011 Summit Point (61st) Currently being rebuilt into the new car!

I saw #22 on a car in his memory for Sunday. The CannonBall Bandits will be wearing his number as well at our season ended in Sonoma. Let me know if this isn't the correct number. Our thoughts and prayers go out to all affected by this unfortunate incident.

I came through Turn 14 just after it happened; the flag station had just thrown the caution but the track workers had not had a chance to get there yet. I'd like to give kudos to the CMP workers, when I came around again on the lap under caution (maybe 3 minutes), the track workers, medical etc were all there and working hard. They got there quick.

It's a terrible thing to lose a fellow racer. There are a couple of bright spots in this sad incident: just about every car at CMP today had a '22' in his memory. In addition, NSF Racing took up a collection which Jay is going to match. The last number was a tick under $10,000.00. No, it won't replace him to his family but it will help with the final costs.

It also reinforces something I've known for years: racers are some of the finest people on the planet.

Philosophy of life: old age and treachery will ALWAYS overcome youth, enthusiasm and cash. General smartass know it all beer swilling ne'er do well. Avoid eye contact with this person, best avoided completely. 2008 Animal House Racing CMP 'Most Likely To Leave In An Ambulance' 2009 Blind Rodent Racing CMP 2010 Team Galileo CMP 2011 Roundhouse Kick Racing CMP 2012 Road Kill Grill Racing CMP (x2)

Junkyard Dog wrote:

It's a terrible thing to lose a fellow racer. There are a couple of bright spots in this sad incident: just about every car at CMP today had a '22' in his memory. In addition, NSF Racing took up a collection which Jay is going to match. The last number was a tick under $10,000.00. No, it won't replace him to his family but it will help with the final costs.

It also reinforces something I've known for years: racers are some of the finest people on the planet.

That's great -- kudos to the Lemons racers and Jay.  Is there a way for us crapcan racers who weren't there to donate?

COM ( Chief Operating Moron ) of Burnt Rubber Soul Racing
Current fleet: 95 Ford Probe, 81 Mazda 626.  Past: 81 Imperial
Facebook page:  https://www.facebook.com/burntrubbersoulracing

I hate that there was such a sad note to such an otherwise fantastic weekend, and my thoughts and prayers go out to the family. I thought the response at the track, especially from NSF and the matching money from Jay was amazing... this is truly a fantastic community. I must say though, my mind keeps going back to being strangely happy for Sid. I'd never driven on a track a day in my life before this weekend, and I've never had more fun. Sid died doing what he loved. If I can quote Mike from the Tuna Chuckers as I was texting him over the weekend, "I'd rather die in a Lemons car than in a nursing home." I didn't know Sid, but nonetheless, god speed buddy.

Idle Clatter Racing: 1979 Mercedes 300SD Delivery Spaceship,  "Not all ideas are good."
Fall 2013 CMP I.O.E.
Shine Country Classic 2014 and Southern Discomfort: Showed Up; Didn't Blowed Up
Humidi TT: DOMINATION. Barber 2015: "Least Southern Pickup Truck"

Amen to going while doing what you love.

If I ever die at a Lemons race, I want the race to continue as soon as they can haul my carcass out of the way.   It's the most fun you can have with your clothes on, and I can't think of a better way to go.   It's a shame that it had to happen so early to Sid, he was only 63.

"I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it!"
IOE winner in the Super Snipe -- Buttonwillow 2012
IOE winner in Super Snipe v2.0 -- Buttonwillow 2016
"Every Super Snipe in Lemons has won an IOE!"

RIP. Sad to hear this.

Godspeed Sidney.

2012 North Dallas Hooptie Judge's Choice Winners
If life gives you Lemons, install racing brakes!
https://www.facebook.com/JoBoRacing

majo wrote:
Junkyard Dog wrote:

That's great -- kudos to the Lemons racers and Jay.  Is there a way for us crapcan racers who weren't there to donate?

Folks over here in California have been wondering the same thing.

Hella Shitty Racing -- Premium Crapcan Racing since 2010!
- VOTE FORD
- Ferdinand the Bug (2x class C, 1x class B, IoE)
- Ferkel the Nein-11 (Org Choice, class C, Heroic Fix)

I am stunned...well, not surprised, of course. But stunned at the info in this thread.

Here we were, gathering and dragging home the remnants of a fun fine racing team, proceeding almost funereally along the interstates, returning Sid's RV to its current resting place, parking the wiped-out racer back on the property somewhere, getting what little organization done that we felt like we could manage...

...and you guys were taking up money for Sid's benefit. I have forwarded this info to the others. It will be well-received...

Sid Brayton raced circle track in the early 70's in New Hampshire. He won a few, broke a few... and he enjoyed it.
After I met him in 2005 when I joined the Peachtree Miata Club in Atlanta I found a group of 3 or 4 other members that ran Track Trials with Sid in SCCA.
They hit the highlights at Roebling, some hillclimbs, and other tracks in the Southeast until 2008. Those guys are the backbone of our Lemons effort, and a better bunch of old guys do not exist.

Sid ended up with a CRX circle track car in 2007, and he ran at Watermelon Capital Speedway in Cordele GA for parts of 3 seasons.
Most Saturdays were spent hauling to South Georgia... a 3 hour drag each way.
It was a paved track, and it allowed FWD cars...and it was the closest track.
The CRX was a well-made car, and he liked it a lot. When it got wrecked he even decided to cut off the entire front third of the car and weld on a new nose from a donor.

I started mentioning Lemons in 2011- a trip to Roebling in July for a Chump race sealed the deal.
He called the other Track Trials competitiors to gauge their interest-
(because, of course, they had all 'retired' from racing, hahaha)... and to a man the reply was "when and where?" smile

We ran at Charlotte Motor Speedway in fall of 2011- engine blew.
We ran Road Atlanta in the bitter bitter cold of Feb 2012... never got on the track.
We ran Lemons CMP fall of 2012- FINISHED.
We ran almost 14 hours at Road Atlanta last fall- engine expired after dark after the rain started. No one felt bad about that, and we had a whale of a time.
We ran Spring Lemons CMP this year- finished 29th I believe.
And we were at CMP just now.

Our chief mechanic helped Sid remove his helmet after his first shift Saturday, and Sid announced to no one in particular-

"That was the most fun I have ever had driving"

I hope THAT is the phrase you will allow to ring in your ears every time to get out of a race car.

And by the way- for whatever reason... Sid always liked the numeral "2".

He ran it on his circle track car, and insisted on some form of it on the LeMon.

I can just bet there are some old pics of him in N Hampshire, racing a Studebaker with a Chevy engine in it... with a "2" on the side of it.

If y'all actually all had '22s' on your car... I imagine he would A) think it was unnecessary, and B) get a kick out of it. smile

Well put right here.

Condolences and prayers to the family and team.

Junkyard Dog wrote:

I came through Turn 14 just after it happened; the flag station had just thrown the caution but the track workers had not had a chance to get there yet. I'd like to give kudos to the CMP workers, when I came around again on the lap under caution (maybe 3 minutes), the track workers, medical etc were all there and working hard. They got there quick.

Sweetish Fish BMW E30 #93

CowDriver wrote:

If I ever die at a Lemons race, I want the race to continue as soon as they can haul my carcass out of the way.   It's the most fun you can have with your clothes on, and I can't think of a better way to go.   It's a shame that it had to happen so early to Sid, he was only 63.

Well put.

Tunachuckers: 15 Years of Effluency
'08 - '10: 1966 Volvo 122, "Charlie"
'10 - '18: 1975 Ford LTD Landau --> 2018 - current: Converted into 1950 "Plymford"
'22 - current: 1967 Volvo 122, "Charlie ]["

17 (edited by chaase 2013-09-23 05:55 AM)

I was really sad to hear about the passing of Sid. Prayers out to his friends and family. I am going to try to get helmet stickers for our team for the race. Our team captain sent me an email saying, we are car #22 for Loudon, NH next month. The captain thinks we should beg a car number change from Jay for the race. I am torn between leaving the car as #22 and getting the change. Part of me wishes that Lemons would retire the car number permanently.

There is a race next week in Houston. Anyone know who has #22 and what are you planning on doing?

1992 Saturn SL2 (retired) - Elmo's Revenge -  Class B winner, Heroic Fix winner x2
1969 Rover P6B 3500S(sold) - Super G-Rover - I.O.E Winner, Class C Winner
1996 Saturn SW2 - Elmo's Revenge (reborn!), Saturn SL1  Dazzleshipm Class C x2 and IOE winner
1974 AMC Javelin - Oscar's Trash heap - IOE,”Organizer's Choice" and "I got Screwed" award winner

Godspeed Sid.

I can only think of one better way to leave this world.  No fire suit necessary:)

Prayers to his friends and family.

Silent But Deadly Racing-  Ricky Bobby's Laughing Clown Malt Liquor Thunderbird , Datsun 510, 87 Mustang (The Race Team Formerly Known as Prince), 72 Pinto Squire waggy, Parnelli Jones 67 Galaxie, Turbo Coupe Surf wagon.(The Surfin Bird), Squatting Dogs In Tracksuits,  Space Pants!  Roy Fuckin Kent and The tribute to a tribute to a tribute THUNDERBIRD/ SUNDAHBADOH!

chaase wrote:

Part of me wishes that Lemons would retire the car number permanently.

That strikes me as a good idea and fitting tribute.

Idle Clatter Racing: 1979 Mercedes 300SD Delivery Spaceship,  "Not all ideas are good."
Fall 2013 CMP I.O.E.
Shine Country Classic 2014 and Southern Discomfort: Showed Up; Didn't Blowed Up
Humidi TT: DOMINATION. Barber 2015: "Least Southern Pickup Truck"

ICAustinMiniMan wrote:
chaase wrote:

Part of me wishes that Lemons would retire the car number permanently.

That strikes me as a good idea and fitting tribute.

It really does.  I second

Bloomington, IN
Team Fiery Death! #0 2009 Lamest Day(65th), 2010 American Irony(24th), 2010 Detroit Bull(4th),2012 Capitol Offense (8th) 2012 American Irony (11 th), 2013 Capitol Offense (3rd) 2013 Chubba Chedder (4th, Judge Choice!) Now sadly part of a scrap pile. 
Toothless Racing Deadbeats #110 2011 Summit Point (61st) Currently being rebuilt into the new car!

21 (edited by Mulry 2013-09-23 06:25 AM)

chaase wrote:

I was really sad to hear about the passing of Sid. Prayers out to his friends and family. I am going to try to get helmet stickers for our team for the race. Our team captain sent me an email saying, we are car #22 for Loudon, NH next month. The captain thinks we should beg a car number change from Jay for the race. I am torn between leaving the car as #22 and getting the change. Part of me wishes that Lemons would retire the car number permanently.

There is a race next week in Houston. Anyone know who has #22 and what are you planning on doing?

Here's an idea:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-JazKbe0Izb4/UkA-yayxGLI/AAAAAAAAASw/EBP6BArSimI/s144/Sid-Brayton-22.jpg

Will be glad to send a .jpg, .png, .pdf or .ai to anybody who asks. RIP, Sid.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

kolonelott wrote:

I am stunned...well, not surprised, of course. But stunned at the info in this thread.

Here we were, gathering and dragging home the remnants of a fun fine racing team, proceeding almost funereally along the interstates, returning Sid's RV to its current resting place, parking the wiped-out racer back on the property somewhere, getting what little organization done that we felt like we could manage...

...and you guys were taking up money for Sid's benefit. I have forwarded this info to the others. It will be well-received...

Sid Brayton raced circle track in the early 70's in New Hampshire. He won a few, broke a few... and he enjoyed it.
After I met him in 2005 when I joined the Peachtree Miata Club in Atlanta I found a group of 3 or 4 other members that ran Track Trials with Sid in SCCA.
They hit the highlights at Roebling, some hillclimbs, and other tracks in the Southeast until 2008. Those guys are the backbone of our Lemons effort, and a better bunch of old guys do not exist.

Sid ended up with a CRX circle track car in 2007, and he ran at Watermelon Capital Speedway in Cordele GA for parts of 3 seasons.
Most Saturdays were spent hauling to South Georgia... a 3 hour drag each way.
It was a paved track, and it allowed FWD cars...and it was the closest track.
The CRX was a well-made car, and he liked it a lot. When it got wrecked he even decided to cut off the entire front third of the car and weld on a new nose from a donor.

I started mentioning Lemons in 2011- a trip to Roebling in July for a Chump race sealed the deal.
He called the other Track Trials competitiors to gauge their interest-
(because, of course, they had all 'retired' from racing, hahaha)... and to a man the reply was "when and where?" smile

We ran at Charlotte Motor Speedway in fall of 2011- engine blew.
We ran Road Atlanta in the bitter bitter cold of Feb 2012... never got on the track.
We ran Lemons CMP fall of 2012- FINISHED.
We ran almost 14 hours at Road Atlanta last fall- engine expired after dark after the rain started. No one felt bad about that, and we had a whale of a time.
We ran Spring Lemons CMP this year- finished 29th I believe.
And we were at CMP just now.

Our chief mechanic helped Sid remove his helmet after his first shift Saturday, and Sid announced to no one in particular-

"That was the most fun I have ever had driving"

I hope THAT is the phrase you will allow to ring in your ears every time to get out of a race car.

I'm really glad for that.

Philosophy of life: old age and treachery will ALWAYS overcome youth, enthusiasm and cash. General smartass know it all beer swilling ne'er do well. Avoid eye contact with this person, best avoided completely. 2008 Animal House Racing CMP 'Most Likely To Leave In An Ambulance' 2009 Blind Rodent Racing CMP 2010 Team Galileo CMP 2011 Roundhouse Kick Racing CMP 2012 Road Kill Grill Racing CMP (x2)

Mulry wrote:
chaase wrote:

Here's an idea:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-JazKbe0Izb4/UkA-yayxGLI/AAAAAAAAASw/EBP6BArSimI/s144/Sid-Brayton-22.jpg

That has potential. Can you send me a higher resolution .jpg file. Vistaprint has 1.5" diameter stickers where you can upload a jpg file. I took the one off of the post but it is too low resolution.

chaase[at]optonline.net

1992 Saturn SL2 (retired) - Elmo's Revenge -  Class B winner, Heroic Fix winner x2
1969 Rover P6B 3500S(sold) - Super G-Rover - I.O.E Winner, Class C Winner
1996 Saturn SW2 - Elmo's Revenge (reborn!), Saturn SL1  Dazzleshipm Class C x2 and IOE winner
1974 AMC Javelin - Oscar's Trash heap - IOE,”Organizer's Choice" and "I got Screwed" award winner

24 (edited by solman244 2013-09-23 06:38 AM)

kolonelott wrote:

If y'all actually all had '22s' on your car... I imagine he would A) think it was unnecessary, and B) get a kick out of it. smile

I am so glad to hear that Sid would have gotten a kick out of it.  Mike (Junkyard Dog) made up a "22" stencil for our cars and three of us wandered the paddock Saturday evening with spray paint offering to tag anyone who wanted it.  We must have sprayed over half the field.

It was so quiet at CMP Saturday afternoon and evening that you wouldn't have known there was a Lemons race there.  During our paddock walk with the stencil, everyone said the same thing in different ways: "If it was me, I want the race to continue.  I died doing what I loved"

I hope Sid watched us recover as a group.  I'd dare say we spent a few hours Saturday celebrating his life with food, music and a good glow stick fight.

Godspeed Sid

Apparently my name is really "Craigers".  Who knew?
We might be yellow, but at least we are slow
I'm a WINNER!

Mulry wrote:
chaase wrote:

Here's an idea:

Please send to wbbmotorsporst(at)gmail(dot)com .  Thanks for doing that.

Bloomington, IN