Re: Yeah, we're getting laps. . .

EriktheAwful wrote:

If you make a rotary corvette I will quit my job, sell all my belongings and move to a Tibetan Monestary to live out the rest of my days in quiet service as my life will have been complete.

I know I earlier voted for a V12 or Japanese V8, but now I'm thinking you need to ask if Sensory Assault will build a 20B for you. Mildly boosted you'll be near 400hp, or naturally aspirated (but bridgeported) you could probably get near 300hp. Of course their stuff always blows up, but it would be epic for a while. When the Corvette Jihad starts barking just remind them of the Aerovette!

Oh, grand idea, Erik. Got me laughing at the thought.

ONSET/Tetanus Racing, est. 2008.
Guest drives: NSF, Rocket Surgery, Property Devaluation, Terminally Confused, Team Sputnik, The Syndicate, Pit Crew Revenge, Spank, Hella Shitty, Sir Jackie Stewart's Coin Purse, Nine Finger Drifters, Salty Thunder, Panting Polar Bear, Vistabeam, Hangar 13, and Escape Velocity.
74 races so far.

77 (edited by Scotty 2013-09-01 01:41 PM)

Same HP it came with.... 300lbs lighter.

http://www.racingjunk.com/Other/1819580 … Motor.html

Love the valve cover.

#3 IROC MAIDEN

http://www.racingjunk.com/Other/1819335 … gine-.html

Mount it behind the driver, run chain down to transaxle. You're welcome.

79 (edited by RandomTask 2013-09-05 08:46 AM)

Things that make you go 'hmmmmm'

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mercruiser-170H … 1196905091

SBC bolt pattern, based on iron duke, just have to make the clutch work. . .

Make sure rotation is correct. My treefitty mercruiser spins backwards to go forwards

dead rabbit society: cultured 'n shit.

http://cdn.speednik.com/files/2013/08/vette2.jpg

Team Lost in the Dark
Winner " I got screwed" and "Jay's dream car"
2012 Gulf region champs

Baron wrote:

http://cdn.speednik.com/files/2013/08/vette2.jpg

Many years ago, Johnm Lingenfelter stuffed a Ford 351 Cleveland in a Corvette, it went nearly half a second faster in the 1/4 mile.

Philosophy of life: old age and treachery will ALWAYS overcome youth, enthusiasm and cash. General smartass know it all beer swilling ne'er do well. Avoid eye contact with this person, best avoided completely. 2008 Animal House Racing CMP 'Most Likely To Leave In An Ambulance' 2009 Blind Rodent Racing CMP 2010 Team Galileo CMP 2011 Roundhouse Kick Racing CMP 2012 Road Kill Grill Racing CMP (x2)

tSoG wrote:

Make sure rotation is correct. My treefitty mercruiser spins backwards to go forwards

Doesn't matter when you put a sweet solid roller cam in it.

#3 IROC MAIDEN

While we've been looking for a replacement engine, we picked up a sweet new tow rig. . . Does this help with laps? smile $2800 for an '01 bluebird w/ a 7.3Ford turbo diesel w/ 170k miles. . .

https://userweb.jlab.org/~jguerra/Me/Chump/Bus2.jpg

The lift gate is awesome!

#3 IROC MAIDEN

RandomTask wrote:

While we've been looking for a replacement engine, we picked up a sweet new tow rig. . . Does this help with laps? smile $2800 for an '01 bluebird w/ a 7.3Ford turbo diesel w/ 170k miles. . .

https://userweb.jlab.org/~jguerra/Me/Chump/Bus2.jpg

I hate you. I have been trying to get one for 2 years.

dead rabbit society: cultured 'n shit.

Put the Ford Turbo Diesel from the bus in the Corvette.

1992 Saturn SL2 (retired) - Elmo's Revenge -  Class B winner, Heroic Fix winner x2
1969 Rover P6B 3500S(sold) - Super G-Rover - I.O.E Winner, Class C Winner
1996 Saturn SW2 - Elmo's Revenge (reborn!), Saturn SL1  Dazzleshipm Class C x2 and IOE winner
1974 AMC Javelin - Oscar's Trash heap - IOE,”Organizer's Choice" and "I got Screwed" award winner

I'd love to have a flatnose skoolie. One of those 88-passenger ones.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

Must.  Keep.  Lift.

-jt
Unionized Physicist
Tetanus Racing
1986 Porsche 944, #986

Lemony enough?

http://attarco.com/wp-content/themes/eStore/timthumb.php?src=http://attarco.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/lexus-2jzgevvtiusedeng.jpg&w=613

2Jz?  They're all over junkyards in GS300s and SC300s.  You can get them for <$200 pretty often.  Not super "lemony" but more than reasonable as a Lemons motor!

Quad4 CRX - Wartburg 311 - Civic Wagovan - Parnelli Jones Galaxie - LS400 - Lancia MR2 - Boat - Sentra - 56 Ford Victoria
Known Associate of 3pedal Mafia, Speedycop, and the Russians.  Maybe even NSF.

92 (edited by RandomTask 2013-09-25 08:31 AM)

Ugg, so running full circle. What about a chevy 4.3L V6?  It seems finding a complete pullout 2jz is expensive and would take some machined parts to work ($$). We could essentially drop a 4.3 L setup in, pick up a cheap intake off fleabay, and run a carb. A max gofast factor of 160hp. Thoughts?

Our (3Pedal Mafia) boat has a 4.3L v6 and it's been reliable and has decent power.  We don't rev the piss out of it, I can't remember what the shift light it set at but somewhere south of 5000rpm for sure.  We run fuel injection so it's around 170hp.  Nobody's going to sweat you on the cost of a 4.3L v6.  Not very popular motors in road racing. ;-)

Quad4 CRX - Wartburg 311 - Civic Wagovan - Parnelli Jones Galaxie - LS400 - Lancia MR2 - Boat - Sentra - 56 Ford Victoria
Known Associate of 3pedal Mafia, Speedycop, and the Russians.  Maybe even NSF.

94 (edited by WarpdSpazm 2013-09-25 09:41 AM)

The boat shifts at 4250... Jeff will cane you if you run it out to 4500. The motor falls on its face at like 4300 anyway

Actually, I would love to see you run the 4.3L

It would be so great to tell people the boat runs like a late C4 Vette.. The look of disgust would be so much better than now, when we tell them late 80's camaro.

Blackmaven MotorSports -  Supporting the United Leukodystrophy Foundation - www.ulf.org
FOR SALE! '68 Ford Cortina - BUY ME HERE!
'04 Mitsu in the works
BlackmavenMotorsports on Facebook

How about the GM Atlas motors? They are pretty much the same as a Toyota straight six anyway. Not sure what the bolt pattern on the back is for the tranny, but find one in a Trailblazer and its going to have a 4 speed automatic on it anyway. To get a 5 speed stick (its an Aisin tranny, and pretty good) you'd have to find a manual Chevy Colorado tuck, and most of those had the little 2.8 4cyl version. Of course the 2.8 Colorado Atlas motor made more horsepower than the 4.3 V6 (though a lot less torques)

Constructor/Owner/Driver - Billy Beer Ford Futura

The 3.5L Atlas-based I5 can be had with the 5-speed manual. That transmission is supposed to be a close relative of the Supra Turbo R154.

Former chief proprietor and lead bad idea generator of Binford "More Power" Racing, 2010-2013: humbly self-proclaimed the best Chevy Beretta in Lemons history.

obsolete wrote:

The 3.5L Atlas-based I5 can be had with the 5-speed manual. That transmission is supposed to be a close relative of the Supra Turbo R154.

I know, that's my daily driver, an almost no options regular cab, regular bed Colorado with the 3.5, the 5 speed, locker rear and the ZQ8 sport package. The number of 3.5l with a 5 speed is pretty much limited to the low 4 digits. Personally I have never seen another one.

Constructor/Owner/Driver - Billy Beer Ford Futura

I think the Atlas tranny is an R151F in toyota parlance.

Jim C.
If God meant for us to race, we'd all have baggy Nomex skin.
08TMS.09NL.10GM, SP, NL.11SP, NL.12SP, VIR, NL.13GM, NJ.14NJ, VIR, WGI.15AB.16GM.17NCM.18GM.19...

99 (edited by Junkyard Dog 2013-09-27 05:33 PM)

Actually, the Atlas trans is a direct swap for a R154 'Yota box. You want a R154 type box cheap? Go find one from an Isuzu Rodeo or Trooper, it has a pretty low first gear but all the others are good.

In fact, a Rodeo/Trooper 3.2 V6 redlines at 6250 RPM,  makes ~200-215 HP and a bunch of torques, is damn near bulletproof and would make the 'Vette guys REALLY eat their livers: a lowly SUV motor motivating their beloved fiberglass? Blasphemy!

Jeep calls the same box an AX15 but it's not available in 2WD configuration AFAIK.

Philosophy of life: old age and treachery will ALWAYS overcome youth, enthusiasm and cash. General smartass know it all beer swilling ne'er do well. Avoid eye contact with this person, best avoided completely. 2008 Animal House Racing CMP 'Most Likely To Leave In An Ambulance' 2009 Blind Rodent Racing CMP 2010 Team Galileo CMP 2011 Roundhouse Kick Racing CMP 2012 Road Kill Grill Racing CMP (x2)

How would a 5VZ-FE hold up in Lemons?

Apocalyptic Racing - Occupy Pit Lane racing
Racing the "Toylet" Toyota Celica powered by Chevrolet Ecotec.
24x Loser with the Celica. 16x loser in other fine machines
Overall winner Gingerman 2019