Re: Kurrent "K" Kar Komitments

Were picking up Super K this weekend.  SbT may or may not choose to repair the engine and prep it for Boston.  If they choose to abstain we will ship it down here for retrofit..

b

This space for rent.

52 (edited by EyeMWing 2013-10-02 03:36 AM)

NSF wrote:

Were picking up Super K this weekend.  SbT may or may not choose to repair the engine and prep it for Boston.  If they choose to abstain we will ship it down here for retrofit..

b

Has the K had a Turbo motor yet? It's clear the solution to its problems is MOAR BOOST.

Driver, Pit Monkey, Rod Buster and Engine Fire Starter
Team FinalGear

Hey Y'all
'Haven't heard anything from anybody about transporting the K to Boston
We assumed other arrangements had been made
We can still transport and we don't mind doing some prep work, but I don't think we are competent enough to rebuild the K's engine

Let Me Know

Big Homer

'ported, relieved, with bored-out arm rests, and oversize seat covers.

Doug put me in touch with a gentleman in Jennings, LA who is apparently volunteering to bring it somewhere after we drop it off with him. I assumed he would then drop it off with you guys (Stupid but Tough), but I don't know the details.

The guy in Jennings says he won't be available from Thursday to Sunday, and I can't make the delivery tonight. So it's looking like early next week, but I haven't heard back from Doug about this yet.

55 (edited by stupid_but_tough 2013-10-02 01:10 PM)

How about this:
So this weekend is not going to work.
Let's shoot for next weekend (Oct 11-12-13)
Frank, If you could try and get the K running as well as possible
This should give you a few more days to work out any kinks
Frank, drives the K to Jennings, LA, mid to late next week.
Mr. Jennings Hauls the K up to Jackson, MS or Meridian, MS Fri-Sat-Sun of next week
SBT takes the K from Mr. Jennings and hauls it up to Knoxville.
We can do basic prep work, change brake pads, mount tires, vacuum out barf
SBT will load & haul K from Knoxville, TN to Loudon, NH on Thursday Oct 24th
Rally Baby takes possesion of K
K gets teched & BS'ed the next day (Friday)
Race Saturday & Sunday, SBT drives back down to Knoxville empty on Monday the 28th

Edit:
'Sorry, I didn't notice the date of Franks post about getting the car running.
I thought that was yesterday, that was just prior to to MSR were they blew up spectacularly
Hmm, How salvageable is the motor?

'ported, relieved, with bored-out arm rests, and oversize seat covers.

I just spoke with Doug a little while ago. Our current plan is to bring the K to Jennings on Monday. I won't have time to do much of anything before then, because things just got crazy at work for me, and myself and most of the core members of EVR will be out of town this weekend. I will try to further diagnose the engine damage this week.

As far as regular race prep stuff, it's in pretty good shape. I just put two new Primewells on the front, and it has two decent ones for the back along with four mostly trashed BFGs on the nicer Daytone rims. The front brakes are reportedly Carbotechs, and they look practically new. Rear brakes are unknown, but the car handled and braked fine at Thunderhill, according to the guys I spoke with. There's no puke in it, just a bunch of broken spares, some of which still need to be welded to the trophy.

All friends of K  Please start searching CL or other sites for a new engine / car to replace parts in my area.  My zip is 32955.  We are going to take K down for as long as it takes to make it dependable.  Mike C, We'll do everything humanly possible to help get the K to you.  The details can be worked out.  We may be able to get the K further North to allow RB to take up this Herculean effort to get the Super K back on track.  Otherwise we will take it down and try to repair it.

I assume that this is the engine that will bolt up.  Mitsubishi 6G7 engine.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubishi_6G7_engine

This space for rent.

Looks like there are a few near you,  If I was looking at the correct motor.

http://www.car-part.com/cgi-bin/search. … &iKey=

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner

NSF wrote:

I assume that this is the engine that will bolt up.  Mitsubishi 6G7 engine.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubishi_6G7_engine

Yup.

I'd look for LeBaron convertibles in the junkyard - typically low miles, even in California, since they don't get used as much as the hardtops.

While the engine (should) be the same from about '88 up through the end of the run, I think, note that the injectors and harness are batch-fire (two injectors fire at once) in '90 and '91, and single-fire for '92 and up, so that hardware should come off of the old engine and be put on the new one.

Good luck!

What year is the engine and computer in this heap currently?

This space for rent.

K is for Kia!

http://orlando.craigslist.org/pts/4103529458.html

2005 KIA RIO ENGINE AND TRANSMISSION !!!!! - $650 (Kissimmee)

Apocalyptic Racing - Occupy Pit Lane racing
Racing the "Toylet" Toyota Celica powered by Chevrolet Ecotec.
24x Loser with the Celica. 16x loser in other fine machines
Overall winner Gingerman 2019

stuff is unfolding.  if you're involved or want to spectate.  friend NSF on FB.

Rally Baby 87 Audi 4KQ, Audi 90 Quattro Coupe, 1975 Mercedes R107, 87 E30s, E36s, the Whorenet, Rocco...
J. Phil: "Audis Never Win".  He might be right.But!, the K Dominates 2013 NJ and NH (not, but...). 
Stafford 2011 podium, 2nd NJMP 2013, Summit Point 2012 "WV ASSimilation award"
NJMP 2012 Organizer's Choice - R107, 2013 Monticello IOE Whorenet ! Organizers, CMP fall 2013 w/NSF

63 (edited by fleming95 2013-10-02 10:12 PM)

NSF wrote:

What year is the engine and computer in this heap currently?

Alex could speak about the engine - something Chrysler 4-doory -

- but when I hooked the ECM up to a code reader at T-Hill it seemed to tell us that it was for a 2.5L, 4 cylinder, propane powered mill.

There's our problem! smile

Pretty sure the current engine is a '91 3.0 from a Daytona.

Speedycop/NSF Racing /Pinewood Dirtbags
'10 Summit, CMP3, Autobahn, '11 CMP1, NJMP, CMP2, Summit, G'man, Stafford, Charlotte, Autobahn, ECR '12 CMP1, NJMP, G'man, NHMS1, Summit, CMP2, NHMS2, ECR, '13 CMP1, ECR, Summit, NJMP, THill, CMP2, MSR, NHMS, Sears '14 Barber, Sears1, ECR, CMP1, NJMP1, BWillow, Sebring, CMP2, THill, Sears2, '15 Sears1, Barber, Ridge, THill, '16 Sears1

Yes, the original engine was from a '91 Daytona. The replacement block (which is probably hosed) was from a '92 Dynasty. Both are the SOHC 6G72. Frank Ferguson told me that Brandon used the ECU from the Daytona. The current heads and intake are also from the Daytona. The DOHC 6G72 will bolt up to the tranny, as far as I know. It just has to be pre-2000, supposedly because the DOHC version switched direction of rotation at that time. I don't know if other 6G7 engines are interchangeable.

OK  - We have a plan.  DOMINATION to ensue.   DC will drive the K to Boston.  Just don;t tell him.

This space for rent.

Did anyone ever solve the terrible fuel-delivery problems the K had during its first 12 or so races?

Well, there is that.  BTW I just hope that credit is given for this whole idea - MM.

This space for rent.

69 (edited by fleming95 2013-10-03 03:46 PM)

Judge Phil wrote:

Did anyone ever solve the terrible fuel-delivery problems the K had during its first 12 or so races?

Well, it ran well enough to totally DOMINATE turn 15 at T-Hill, didn't it? smile

-Jeff

Did anyone ever solve the terrible charging-system problems the K has had at at most of its races?

no but I just threw another grand at it.  Bob, please please please make it run.

Rally Baby 87 Audi 4KQ, Audi 90 Quattro Coupe, 1975 Mercedes R107, 87 E30s, E36s, the Whorenet, Rocco...
J. Phil: "Audis Never Win".  He might be right.But!, the K Dominates 2013 NJ and NH (not, but...). 
NJMP 2012 Organizer's Choice - R107, 2013 Monticello IOE Whorenet ! Organizers, CMP fall 2013 w/NSF

Did anyone ever solve the terrible front-axle-related problems the K has had at most of its races?

we know what they are.  admitting that we have a problem is the first step, right?

The charging issue shouldn't be too hard to solve with a few non-sleep deprived people and a proper OE wiring diagram.

When we pull Super K into the main shop at NSFIRHQ, onto the checkered Italian marble floors, everything will be translucent.  Truth is spoken here.

Word.

This space for rent.