Re: Yeah, we're getting laps. . .

Junkyard Dog wrote:

Jeep calls the same box an AX15 but it's not available in 2WD configuration AFAIK.

AX15's in 2wd can be had behind Comanche's with the 4.0 and Durangos. Fantastic transmission with ability to hold a 350 or a 4bt no problem.

Planet Express
"IOE" "C Win" 4834.701 Race Miles and counting
Toyocedes
"Least Southern Pickup Truck" "IOE" "C win" "C win (again?)"

The same transmission is also in the Solstice/Sky roadsters, but I think the ratios are revised to be closer together.

Constructor/Owner/Driver - Billy Beer Ford Futura

I'm doing a swap for a friend which involves a R154 box and the Solstice/Sky box is out there but a bit pricey, most places want around $900. Supra boxes run around $5-600 on average, that's because yes these two do have good ratios. I got a Supra box for my swap (SAAB Ecotec in a Triumph GT6). OTOH, the Isuzu boxes go for next to nothing because 1) they don't break 2) they don't have the good ratios. But that makes them perfect for Lemons. wink

Philosophy of life: old age and treachery will ALWAYS overcome youth, enthusiasm and cash. General smartass know it all beer swilling ne'er do well. Avoid eye contact with this person, best avoided completely. 2008 Animal House Racing CMP 'Most Likely To Leave In An Ambulance' 2009 Blind Rodent Racing CMP 2010 Team Galileo CMP 2011 Roundhouse Kick Racing CMP 2012 Road Kill Grill Racing CMP (x2)

What does it take to bolt the Saab Ecotec to the R154?  Bellhousing? (from what?)

Quad4 CRX - Wartburg 311 - Civic Wagovan - Parnelli Jones Galaxie - LS400 - Lancia MR2 - Boat - Sentra - 56 Ford Victoria
Known Associate of 3pedal Mafia, Speedycop, and the Russians.  Maybe even NSF.

1.5 vw diesel can be made to bolt to toyota trans. if we are gonna be wrong, go all out

dead rabbit society: cultured 'n shit.

Thought about an atlas motor, its also a 90* motor that would bolt up. Problem with it is finding one for cheap.  Getting a complete pullout atlas is about $1k and I could get an LT1 pullout for cheaper. . .

dculberson wrote:

What does it take to bolt the Saab Ecotec to the R154?  Bellhousing? (from what?)

Solstice/Sky. Somewhere I have the GM part number. You also need the Solstice/Sky slave cylinder, the SAAB piece can be adapted but it's just easier to use what GM spent a wad to develop.

Philosophy of life: old age and treachery will ALWAYS overcome youth, enthusiasm and cash. General smartass know it all beer swilling ne'er do well. Avoid eye contact with this person, best avoided completely. 2008 Animal House Racing CMP 'Most Likely To Leave In An Ambulance' 2009 Blind Rodent Racing CMP 2010 Team Galileo CMP 2011 Roundhouse Kick Racing CMP 2012 Road Kill Grill Racing CMP (x2)

You'd think there would be plenty of wadded up Solstices around these days

Doesn't the bellhousing from the 5-speed Chevy Colorado also work for the R154 swap?

Phil, are you saying the atlas and ecotec have the same BH pattern?  Would be cool if true...

Jim C.
If God meant for us to race, we'd all have baggy Nomex skin.
08TMS.09NL.10GM, SP, NL.11SP, NL.12SP, VIR, NL.13GM, NJ.14NJ, VIR, WGI.15AB.16GM.17NCM.18GM.19...

Man - I just thought of this . . . and I'm slightly disappointed it wasn't suggested, especially since this design spawned out of the corvette world. . .

Scratch the whole 'other motor' idea, I'm just going to run the LT1 with some added technology. . . (Can't run the full setup, but I'll do something to make sure it turns out to be a horrible idea. . .

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2007/11/dei.jpg

Story for those who are interested. . .
http://www.autoblog.com/2007/11/16/asin … injection/

112 (edited by Parkwod60 2013-10-08 09:38 PM)

I think the Colorado with the 5 speed uses the same transmission as the Solstice/Sky, but with a different bell housing. You can't have the one in my truck, but if anyone in Southern California want to look at it you are welcome to crawl under it.

Lots of R154 swap bellhousings:

http://www.jeeps-offroad.com/showthread.php?t=4740

Somewhere out there is a page with similar info on the W58, which is the small pattern version. Still a good box; I have one in my Jensen Healey.

FPRbuzz wrote:
Junkyard Dog wrote:

Jeep calls the same box an AX15 but it's not available in 2WD configuration AFAIK.

AX15's in 2wd can be had behind Comanche's with the 4.0 and Durangos. Fantastic transmission with ability to hold a 350 or a 4bt no problem.

The #431 Petty Cash Cherokee is a stock 2WD 4.0/AX-15. They only built Comanches with the AX-15 for a couple years, so a '90-'99 2WD Cherokee would be your best bet on the Jeep side. They are a good trans and hold up to SBC power, but not bullet proof with 300+ lb/ft.

-Matt

30 Time Loser with Class C, Index of Effluency, I got Screwed and Heroic Fix Trophies who usually races, according to Car and Driver, The Greatest Road Racing Cherokee in History.

Check out our FB Page and follow our various exploits.

115 (edited by RandomTask 2013-12-17 02:55 PM)

So my previous endeavor of a 2.0L Honda motor fell through; think I'm pretty set in the new route.  There are adapter plates to go from an ecotec to a 90* trans from the fiero world, so in theory, it should work in reverse.

138HP of 1.4L of fury. DOD - Displacement on Demand in the sense that  you just happen to constantly demand displacement. . .

http://images.thecarconnection.com/lrg/chevrolet_100317933_l.jpg

Looking for a suitable swap for Lemons cheap.

Not sure if all the Ecotec motors have the same bolt pattern, but the Saturn Sky/Pontiac Solstice had the Ecotec in a RWD set up. As a matter of fact it also used the Chevy Colorado/GMC Canyon Aisan 5 speed that is basically the same as the AX-15 mentioned above.

Maybe you need to find a wrecked Solstice and just use the whole drivetrain? I know, that's just way too easy