Re: Kurrent "K" Kar Komitments

I will need at least a day or two for my re-theming (actually just an intensifying of the existing theme), and I want to leave for Sears with enough time for the caravan to suffer the expected breakdowns and still allow me to get to Sears in time for the race. It's a 20-hour drive when you have no problems... but probably a 60-hour drive with the K plus the Checker towing a camping trailer. Whatever route we take will be at high elevations with nodule-freezingly cold temperatures for most of the drive.

I have a nice Volvo 240 heater core, a big 12VDC computer fan, a '69 Dodge Ramcharger heater-control water valve, and lots of maybe-not-leaky heater hose salvaged from my A100. We can rig up a heater if the K doesn't already have one by that time.

Think we are going to tow the canned ham camper/super executive sleeping quarters with the army truck. Rich is going to drive the Checker. We will load spare engines, tires, spare crap and whatever is too nasty for the camper in the back of the truck. Also have contemplated driving the southern route thru Vegas and  Bakersfield. Adds couple hundred miles. Avoids potential starvation at Donner Pass... Phil is the only person particularly meaty on this drive...we will be watching the weather real close ahead of time....

Captain of the Speedholes Wrenching #365 1965 Rambler Marlin and owner of the "Cockroach 454 Chevy Bigblock". Collector Emeritus of awful crapcans.
Earned every finish with Blood, Sweat, Tears,  Smoked brakes,dead wheelbearings, two blower explosions, and a never-ending thirst for more fuel. Finished em all! Currently hiding in a secret base in the shadow of the "Race to the Clouds".

128 (edited by autoxmike 2013-10-23 07:03 PM)

Judge Phil wrote:

I will need at least a day or two for my re-theming (actually just an intensifying of the existing theme), and I want to leave for Sears with enough time for the caravan to suffer the expected breakdowns and still allow me to get to Sears in time for the race. It's a 20-hour drive when you have no problems... but probably a 60-hour drive with the K plus the Checker towing a camping trailer. Whatever route we take will be at high elevations with nodule-freezingly cold temperatures for most of the drive.

I have a nice Volvo 240 heater core, a big 12VDC computer fan, a '69 Dodge Ramcharger heater-control water valve, and lots of maybe-not-leaky heater hose salvaged from my A100. We can rig up a heater if the K doesn't already have one by that time.

Sounds like a plan.  I may try to rig up heat before Cheeseland but if not then I'll get a chance to break out my winter gear that I kept for some reason when I moved from Chicago 12 years ago.  I think someone here mentioned that they had a heater core available.  I may have an integrated heater core & blower form one of MX-3s that I may be able to ship up the my Mom's place too along with some tools & dehydrated rations to have along for the expedition.

If I get to Milwaukee Thanksgiving Thursday, I can have Friday to get ready and head out on Saturday which should put me into Denver sometime Sunday...

Mike
Hong Norrth
#39 TRON Gray/Orange MX-3, aka "Sumbich"

If what you or Phil has doesn't work out I have a couple possibilities too. Hopefully Anton gets some heat for the drive out here!
-AARON

Captain of the Speedholes Wrenching #365 1965 Rambler Marlin and owner of the "Cockroach 454 Chevy Bigblock". Collector Emeritus of awful crapcans.
Earned every finish with Blood, Sweat, Tears,  Smoked brakes,dead wheelbearings, two blower explosions, and a never-ending thirst for more fuel. Finished em all! Currently hiding in a secret base in the shadow of the "Race to the Clouds".

SeldomSeen wrote:

If what you or Phil has doesn't work out I have a couple possibilities too. Hopefully Anton gets some heat for the drive out here!
-AARON

Looks like I may be doing a solo run from Milwaukee to Denver, then Anton may join the merry band of fools for the Denver to Sears Point leg

Mike
Hong Norrth

As one of the merry fools.....I can't wait!

The southern route is for cowards. We're going up to Cheyenne and then turning left on I-80. How cold and/or miserable could it get? Probably only about 80% as bad as Antarctica! Plus, Donner Pass isn't even 8,000 feet! Nothing to worry about!

Also, since I'm required by Lemons HQ to take a reliable vehicle, I can bring lots of tools. Maybe we should pick up a spare engine for the K while we're at it. Plenty of Dynasties at U-Pull-&-Pay.

No sweat. I got chains for all 4 wheels. Spare fuel. Bad attitude. Will look hella crazy with a trailer, K car, Checker Marathon and a Lexus all getting dragged thru the snow over Donner summit. I'm sure the CHP will be cool with it....

Yeah. Spare DieNasty motor. Good Idea. Lets do it. I got room. More weight =more traction...

Actually, lots of Caravans and Voyagers have that 3.0 Mitsu engine. U-Pull must have a dozen of those at every yard.

Judge Phil wrote:

The southern route is for cowards. We're going up to Cheyenne and then turning left on I-80. How cold and/or miserable could it get? Probably only about 80% as bad as Antarctica! Plus, Donner Pass isn't even 8,000 feet! Nothing to worry about!

So says the man who plans to pimp it out in a Lexus. I am going to take Red Pig along 10 to LA, I plan to keep my important bits warmish. You guys are welcome to meet up somewhere south.

Steve still has way the record for drives in that car. He is planning to drive to the race this weekend from Florida, afterwards to Road America. You guys need to dial up your game to catch up!

the Syndicate - 30 losses and counting ...
89 VW Jettarosa - #337 (11 motors later) <> 67 Mercedes 200 - #200, winner "most with the least" MSR Feb 11, IOE at MSR June 11 <> 88 Mercedes 560 SEL <> 76 Mercedes SLC - IOE at ECR March 13 <> now pimping performance parts for 1970-1980's Mercedes SEL, SEC, SL, SLC's

Packing napkins. And BBQ sauce. In 6 flavors.

autoxmike wrote:
Judge Phil wrote:

Sounds like a plan.  I may try to rig up heat before Cheeseland but if not then I'll get a chance to break out my winter gear that I kept for some reason when I moved from Chicago 12 years ago.  I think someone here mentioned that they had a heater core available.  I may have an integrated heater core & blower form one of MX-3s that I may be able to ship up the my Mom's place too along with some tools & dehydrated rations to have along for the expedition.

If I get to Milwaukee Thanksgiving Thursday, I can have Friday to get ready and head out on Saturday which should put me into Denver sometime Sunday...

No one has ever really said if the car is coming to my shop, or if you need a pick up from the air port.....but I have family doings on Thanksgiving so I am not available for taxi service that day, Sorry.   If you need me to give you a ride we should coordinate via email willy1959@gmail.com.   If you dont need me that is fine as well, just let me know.  Our shop is a Miata parting shop, Stuffed right now so there really isnt any inside room to work, but maybe we can push one of the wrecks out and sneak you in and I can find you all the miata heater cores you need if you can make em work. even have some blowers if the k's is gone

Your Miata Parts Pimp

Also, taking  hwy 287 from Ft Collins to Laramie cuts off a decent chunk of miles. It's good road.

140 (edited by autoxmike 2013-11-07 09:14 PM)

Had a good chat with Mr Steve McDaniel this evening.  The plans are shaping up...

I need to be in Chicago next week for work, so I plan to drive up there in my Grand Cherokee loaded with tools & parts to get a heater rigged up.  After the week in Chicago, snag the K from Racine. I'm lining up a place to work on the K that weekend - possibly Team Gutty who won Class B in a CRX I  think in a race earlier this year.   Adam is located in South Holland, IL just south of Chicago.  The plan is to thrash the weekend  of Nov 16/17 and have the K all ready to go by then.  Items on the to do list are:

1) Bleed brakes
2) Replace passenger CV/axle
3) Install heater
4) Expanding foam the crap out of places for cold to leak in

The following week I need to be in Minneapolis, so drive up there, then hang out the week of Thanksgiving with my family in Cheeseland, then head on down to hit the road with the K either Friday 11/29 or Saturday 11/30.  That leg would be either 1 or 2 days.  If 2 days then take a longer route through KC where my sister lives and stay with them for the evening. Try to arrive in Denver by Sunday 12/1.

Any plans as to when the Denver caravan is planning to leave?
Will that leave enough time for whatever needs to be done in Denver before hitting the road for Sonoma?

Mike
Hong Norrth

Ah crud. Guess id better talk with rich about this. We are swapping the motor this weekend in the checker

willy1959 wrote:

No one has ever really said if the car is coming to my shop, or if you need a pick up from the air port.....but I have family doings on Thanksgiving so I am not available for taxi service that day, Sorry.   If you need me to give you a ride we should coordinate via email willy1959@gmail.com.   If you dont need me that is fine as well, just let me know.  Our shop is a Miata parting shop, Stuffed right now so there really isnt any inside room to work, but maybe we can push one of the wrecks out and sneak you in and I can find you all the miata heater cores you need if you can make em work. even have some blowers if the k's is gone

Willy,

Steve got me your email so I'll drop you an email shortly to exchange contact info.  The plan is that sometime in the next week I'll stop by and take the K off your hands and get it down to Adam's (of Team Gutty) shop in South Holland where we will warm it up on the inside and prepare the K for another cross country trip...

Mike
Hong Norrth

I love that I have no idea what is going on.

Carry on.

See you all in Sonoma.  We'll bring enough scotch to float a Battleship.

b

This space for rent.

autoxmike wrote:
willy1959 wrote:

Willy,

Steve got me your email so I'll drop you an email shortly to exchange contact info.  The plan is that sometime in the next week I'll stop by and take the K off your hands and get it down to Adam's (of Team Gutty) shop in South Holland where we will warm it up on the inside and prepare the K for another cross country trip...

Cant wait to meet you.
signed
Crusty old guy

Your Miata Parts Pimp

just to let the rest of the world in on my tongue in cheek signature...  The internet is a small world.

"
This incredible machine is currently stashed at a crusty old guy's shop in Racine after completing 15 hours at Road America last week. I will be in Chicago next week for work, so would like to snag it next weekend and bring it to a place to work on it so I can get it in shape for a cross country trip to Sears Point starting the weekend after Thanksgiving The big job is rigging up a heater so that I don't freeze to death, followed by replacing a CV axle that is going bad. Plus a bunch of other stuff that I'll discover when I get there.

So does anyone have a garage I can borrow for a weekend? I plan to bring tools with me in my Grand Cherokee from Atlanta so hopefully all I need is a semi-warm place to work.... "

Your Miata Parts Pimp

146 (edited by autoxmike 2013-11-08 07:19 AM)

willy1959 wrote:

Cant wait to meet you.
signed
Crusty old guy

It is a small world.  Pretty damn funny. I haven't laughed so hard in a LONG time! Look forward to meeting you :-)

Mike

PS: Who are you on the Sandbox??

Mike
Hong Norrth

autoxmike wrote:
willy1959 wrote:

Cant wait to meet you.
signed
Crusty old guy

It is a small world.  Pretty damn funny. I haven't laughed so hard in a LONG time! Look forward to meeting you :-)

Mike

PS: Who are you on the Sandbox??

Not actually on that site, my partner in the Opel bread van sent it to me, No idea what his handle is there. Was going to register there and comment, but I couldn't figure out the riddle. I'm old dammit

Your Miata Parts Pimp

I would like to leave Denver on the Wednesday before the race. I'll be covering the journey of this nightmare caravan for Car and Driver and I want time to stop for photo shoots, etc.

autoxmike wrote:

Had a good chat with Mr Steve McDaniel this evening.  The plans are shaping up...

I need to be in Chicago next week for work, so I plan to drive up there in my Grand Cherokee loaded with tools & parts to get a heater rigged up.  After the week in Chicago, snag the K from Racine. I'm lining up a place to work on the K that weekend - possibly Team Gutty who won Class B in a CRX I  think in a race earlier this year.   Adam is located in South Holland, IL just south of Chicago.  The plan is to thrash the weekend  of Nov 16/17 and have the K all ready to go by then.  Items on the to do list are:

1) Bleed brakes
2) Replace passenger CV/axle
3) Install heater
4) Expanding foam the crap out of places for cold to leak in

The following week I need to be in Minneapolis, so drive up there, then hang out the week of Thanksgiving with my family in Cheeseland, then head on down to hit the road with the K either Friday 11/29 or Saturday 11/30.  That leg would be either 1 or 2 days.  If 2 days then take a longer route through KC where my sister lives and stay with them for the evening. Try to arrive in Denver by Sunday 12/1.

Any plans as to when the Denver caravan is planning to leave?
Will that leave enough time for whatever needs to be done in Denver before hitting the road for Sonoma?

Make sure to top off the radiator with Antifreeze.  We dumped in the jug of 50/50 that was in the car but it didn't fill the system.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

Phil, I took the whole week before the race off. I'm sure there will be much hand wringing and god-knows-what craziness. Weds sounds good to me. Hoping we are sticking to a 55-60 mph kinda speeds. If needed, I'll leave earlier and have you guys catch up. I'm trailering the Checker. Would rather stick somewhat together.
As an added novelty, a friend of mine who I am building a 4.0 Jeep swapped Jeep Scrambler for will be driving to the Bay area with us! In the Jeep. Nothing like trial by fire. Is sure to be quite the adventure. California still require trailers to go 55? Seems like I recall that they do.