Topic: NHMS Saab loosing steering column

Anybody have a vid of the Saab crash on the front straight?  Sad to see that car go, definitely unfortunate

Official provider of endless bad ideas that always work, sometimes
Walk of Shame Racing - Wagon Queen Family Truckster #84

Re: NHMS Saab loosing steering column

We could see it from our garage. I heard the bang as he hit the wall, looked up and saw our car going by. I was so scared we had contributed to the accident.

I'm very glad the drivers of the two cars were ok, and sorry to see the Saab go.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

Guess they were two garages home from us.  Car was destroyed from what my team relayed to me.  We were taken out by Over Engineered's WD39.

Is this the 96?

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

this one, the old 900 I was told you can see it in background.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7397/10527358055_41b88941e7_o.jpg

https://scontent-b-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/1381850_779464496685_140017106_n.jpg I think the gopro memcard filled up like, minutes before.  Let it be known letting a go pro run out of batteries or fill a card might be the most dangerous thing you ever do.

At the least the exhaust survived.

Apocalyptic Racing - Occupy Pit Lane racing
Racing the "Toylet" Toyota Celica powered by Chevrolet Ecotec.
24x Loser with the Celica. 16x loser in other fine machines
Overall winner Gingerman 2019

Luke, our friend, and the driver is OK but sad to see the SAAB go.
Any video of the incident as it took out our Scirocco as well.
thx

Really Bad Stafford 2010
Not so bad New Jersey 2011
Fair Summit Point 2011
3rd Stafford 2011 etc...etc...etc...

I just realized that i had UStream up at the time of the accident. I don't have the whole thing, but I do have where the steering broke. Skip to 8:20 and you can see where he just goes straight and gets on the brakes before my driver goes past him.

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/40207591

Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

TheEngineer wrote:

I just realized that i had UStream up at the time of the accident. I don't have the whole thing, but I do have where the steering broke. Skip to 8:20 and you can see where he just goes straight and gets on the brakes before my driver goes past him.

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/40207591

Wow. That looks awful.

Eric Rood
Everything Bagel, 24 Hours of Lemons
eric@24hoursoflemons.com

So glad he was OK. Very bummed to see that car get its coup de grace. I remember it from Stafford '09, and it looked beat up back then.

Bert One - 1981 Volvo 262c Bertone | Ernie - 1990 Nissan 240SX

I heard about the incident. I was glad to hear no one was hurt.

1992 Saturn SL2 (retired) - Elmo's Revenge -  Class B winner, Heroic Fix winner x2
1969 Rover P6B 3500S(sold) - Super G-Rover - I.O.E Winner, Class C Winner
1996 Saturn SW2 - Elmo's Revenge (reborn!), Saturn SL1  Dazzleshipm Class C x2 and IOE winner
1974 AMC Javelin - Oscar's Trash heap - IOE,”Organizer's Choice" and "I got Screwed" award winner

Watching that I'm impressed how quickly the track goes all yellow to all red ...  it was probably best seen by the start line flag station but it's in the section of the station before ... so the station before needs to see the accident, start waving yellow, than the flying yellow station needs to call in the flag, most likely it was the start station needs to get on the radio and report the severity/blocking of the track causing the all yellow, probably a confirmation that the track is all yellow and its really bad followed by the order to go all red, all stations need to switch flags, all happens quickly enough that when you get to the station at turn one it's already flying yellow (less then 10 sec) all yellow by 2a (15 sec-ish later), and all red right on the heels (about 9 seconds) ... and this is when I can see it in the low quality videos, it's probably even faster that is happens in real life.

Jeff
Three Pedal Mafia
Ombudsman - Coalition of Alternate Breakfast Meats

That was scary looking. 

I'm going to double check every bolt and nut on the fox's steering now.

Tom Lomino - Proud to be a 23x Lemons Loser, 3x Class B, and 1x IOE Winner!
Craptain, Team Farfrumwinnin - 1995 Volkswagen Golf #14
Click here to "Like" us on Facebook   Click here for our Youtube Videos
Lifetime Achievement (of hopelessness) Award Winners

It almost got a lot worse. The north garages gave a scary good view. The number of cars locking up and swerving to avoid the saab and VW right as the accident happened was insane. Great job by the track getting everyone slowed and stopped.

Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon