Topic: So, we went the way of the devil and got an e30, but also 49 dodge pu

And have an e30....I am sorry, but I tried to convince my team to run a 63 valiant, but alas, they wanted a car that would actually be sporty.  On the plus side, since we now have more than the 6 drivers, we are getting another vehicle of my choice...and at my shop there is a 49 dodge pickup, missing all the glass, rust through everywhere, dents the size of cows on every panel, with the original drive line in it.....my question is, if I don't actually pay my boss anything, but trade my labor for the truck does it count against the 500$?  It may take a couple parts to get it driving.......somewhat reliably.  The e30 at this point is reliable, mainly had to rewire the entire bloody car, has a m20 motor in it as well as lowering springs at this point, the original owner melted about half the wiring harness which is why we got the car for 500$, then sold a shit ton of parts off of it.  Our team theme is Grumpy Cat Racing for now.

Re: So, we went the way of the devil and got an e30, but also 49 dodge pu

I usually want teams to assign a "real-world" value to stuff they get for free, but you can count a '49 Dodge pickup as a legit free truck. In fact, you'll get a lot of budget leeway when it comes to prepping this truck for Lemons. Basically, the harder it is to imagine a vehicle on a race track, the more we like it.

Make sure you email Lemons HQ for an exemption if you are going to run a truck. It would suck to build it and have them turn it down.

'13  Sonoma - Class B Crown Vic, 14 Sonoma IOE - Race Rambler!, Autobahn Class C+IOE #Racevan!, '15 Thill IOE Winner - Omega!, '16 Ridge - IOE - Avanti!, '17 THill Class C Winner - Omega, Butt IOE - Race 411, Sonoma IOE - Aztek '18 Butt - IOE - Allante, MSR - IOE - '41 Olds - '19 Butt-Class C - Allante, '20 Covid, '21 THill-Class B - Omega, Sonoma - IOE and HWG  - Satellite, '22 Sonoma - HWG-Tojan

Mopar flat head straight six? Swap the BMW motor into the truck and vice-verse?

Constructor/Owner/Driver - Billy Beer Ford Futura

cdickman12 wrote:

Make sure you email Lemons HQ for an exemption if you are going to run a truck.

For clarification, the problem is not that it's a truck, but that the factory curb weight of the vehicle exceeds 4200 pounds.

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

Even the 1-ton '49s are mostly under 4,000 lbs.

mharrell wrote:
cdickman12 wrote:

Make sure you email Lemons HQ for an exemption if you are going to run a truck.

For clarification, the problem is not that it's a truck, but that the factory curb weight of the vehicle exceeds 4200 pounds.

This is what I meant. Thanks for the clarification

'13  Sonoma - Class B Crown Vic, 14 Sonoma IOE - Race Rambler!, Autobahn Class C+IOE #Racevan!, '15 Thill IOE Winner - Omega!, '16 Ridge - IOE - Avanti!, '17 THill Class C Winner - Omega, Butt IOE - Race 411, Sonoma IOE - Aztek '18 Butt - IOE - Allante, MSR - IOE - '41 Olds - '19 Butt-Class C - Allante, '20 Covid, '21 THill-Class B - Omega, Sonoma - IOE and HWG  - Satellite, '22 Sonoma - HWG-Tojan

Jay is about 99.999999% certain to give a weight waiver for a '49 pickup, though I am guessing that it weighs more like 3300 pounds-- those old trucks weren't very big and there wasn't much to them. Just email him to check.

Now way that truck weighs that much. Pretty cool even if you just use it as a "pit vehicle" I'd drop a SB 318 in it and roll. Those things are dirt cheap, run forever and a stock 68-70 2bbl has 230hp. Add headers, small cam, intake and small 4bbl and you'l be at 275 easy. Good luck with both.

"get up and get your grandma outta here"

10 (edited by wizard0ne0 2014-01-19 01:43 AM)

Well, got pictures of the truck today, along with a car that we just finished out of our shop.
Also, what do they consider a hood on these trucks.....does the center strip count as a hood or do we have to run the access covers on the side

https://scontent-a-dfw.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/t1/q71/s720x720/1513692_10202330917306112_721213039_n.jpg
https://scontent-a-dfw.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/t1/q74/s720x720/1531930_10202330917746123_133568857_n.jpg
https://scontent-b-dfw.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/t1/q71/s720x720/1613872_10202330918826150_1644148396_n.jpg
https://scontent-a-dfw.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/t1/q74/s720x720/1551518_10202330920466191_2017820710_n.jpg
https://scontent-a-dfw.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/q74/s720x720/1474374_10202330920746198_179698933_n.jpg
https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/t1/1017540_10202330919546168_1063575677_n.jpg
https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc1/t1/q82/s720x720/1510714_10202330919826175_976188170_n.jpg

Nice rides!

The truck front bumper may be considered a nerf bar due to the size.

My unofficial input is that you will have to run the entire hood on the truck.

Darn, I was hoping to run without the hood because this truck is just screaming to be TowMater from cars.  Also excess weight, I know this truck will never be fast, possibly the slowest car on the track actually, but less weight is still better.  The bumper will probably be sold.  Would a door made out of plywood pass tech?  I know it says doors are required, but just trying to find an actual door would be a royal pita.

Yes, you will need real fireproof doors & hood.  You could take pics and roll through BS inspection sans hood for the Tow-mater look.  Panels are required for tech inspection and racing.

If you decide to run the dodge truck w/ an engine swap:
I am working on a similar Plymouth truck (not a Lemon) and could use that 1bbl carter carb.  The one we have is made of mismatched junk

Jim C.
If God meant for us to race, we'd all have baggy Nomex skin.
08TMS.09NL.10GM, SP, NL.11SP, NL.12SP, VIR, NL.13GM, NJ.14NJ, VIR, WGI.15AB.16GM.17NCM.18GM.19...

http://www.murileemartin.com/UG/LNHF13/670%20-%20NHMS%2024%20Hours%20of%20LeMons.jpg

We've already had at least a half-dozen Tow Maters in Lemons (including a Tow Mater-ized RX-7 race winner), so I think that theme has been done to death. You don't need a theme with a genuine '49 Dodge pickup, anyway— the vehicle itself is the theme (although a Grapes of Wrath Joad Family theme might be fun). If the flathead six turns over, you can sell it for a few bucks; I got $150 for the one out of my '41 Plymouth.

As for the door, a rough one won't be hard to find; Chrysler didn't change truck bodies much in the immediate postwar era, so there's probably a big range of years with compatible doors. Hardly anyone restores Dodge trucks of this era (everyone does the Fords and Chevys), so the values for parts aren't insane. Or you could just make your own door out of metal.

wizard0ne0 wrote:

Darn, I was hoping to run without the hood because this truck is just screaming to be TowMater from cars.  Also excess weight, I know this truck will never be fast, possibly the slowest car on the track actually, but less weight is still better.  The bumper will probably be sold.  Would a door made out of plywood pass tech?  I know it says doors are required, but just trying to find an actual door would be a royal pita.

"Mator" was a Chebby" that thing is cool. Plus "Cars" themed cars seemd to be played out according to other posts.  Is it missing a door? Why not just make a sheet metal one and roll? Are you going to run the 6? I'd think a 318 w/ a 904 could be had for well under $400. If you keep the 6 you should fab up a turbo or a S/C from a Buick 3800. Good luck.
and nice Mopar.  Here's mine 70 440-6 http://i39.tinypic.com/nfl187.jpg

16 (edited by Parkwod60 2014-01-19 10:41 AM)

http://fp.images.autos.msn.com/Media/580x348/1d/1dc0d83f0f3a4d7e815609ec5d5e2433.jpg

I know their truck was a similar vintage Ford, but with just a stencil you'd have a pretty good theme. This one has been done too (I think) but only once.

Of course extra points if you rig up a loudspeaker to play this on a loop all day long http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WqazleR … redirect=1

Constructor/Owner/Driver - Billy Beer Ford Futura

call this guy he seems to have a bunch of that stuff

http://www.ebay.com/itm/39-40-41-42-46- … mp;vxp=mtr

Cool, good to know that the hoods are required, now for another question, the rules state that factory gas tank/configuration is legal, but the gas filler goes through the cab of the truck right about where the drivers ass is.  will I need to change this? or does the fact that it is factory mean its fine.....At the moment I am planning on running the flat 6 in this old truck, though I may through in a 318/360 at some point for another race.  Yes that old motor does actually run.   I also found some unused brake shoes while I was emptying out the cab.  I am tempted to swap out the differential for a limited slip 8.8 that i have had in my garage forever, as well as possibly making some sort of discs for the front.  lastly, will the factory hood latches pass tech?  They are a rotating handle that catches into 2 hooks on the fender.  Sorry for the essay.

You should discuss the fuel filler stuff with chief tech guy John Pagel. As for the hood, factory latches are legal, but you should add some hood pins-- cheap insurance.

Running the flathead six makes you the instant Index of Effluency front-runner. Swap that engine into the E30 and we'll probably give you all the trophies at once.

Judge Phil wrote:

...I am guessing that it weighs more like 3300 pounds-- those old trucks weren't very big and there wasn't much to them.

Yeah, sorry about that.  My figures were for maximum gross vehicle weight, not curb weight.  I should have realized they seemed high.

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

Those old trucks had gas tanks in the cab right? Me personally I would get it out of the cab if at all possible. Last thing you want is to be sitting right on top of it in case it rolls or you get hit hard.

22 (edited by SeldomSeen 2014-01-19 08:52 PM)

I'd most definitely get that gas tank outta there... but plenty of room to put a fuel cell safely in the bed! With this, you really need no theme. But it makes it ever so much better.  Scratch the Tow Mater theme......cute sure, but been done plenty. If you can do it really well, a parody of it or some other variation on the idea to give it a little extra "something" well do it! Hmmmmmm.... This gives me an idea......I got a old Willys Jeep pickup out back.....oh, the madness....

Captain of the Speedholes Wrenching #365 1965 Rambler Marlin and owner of the "Cockroach 454 Chevy Bigblock". Collector Emeritus of awful crapcans.
Earned every finish with Blood, Sweat, Tears,  Smoked brakes,dead wheelbearings, two blower explosions, and a never-ending thirst for more fuel. Finished em all! Currently hiding in a secret base in the shadow of the "Race to the Clouds".

I think if I get hit hard I will feel very sorry for the other car.........

Most Lemons drivers have smarts enough to stay away from big heavy old American iron with big 'ol chrome bumpers....a '65 Rambler Marlin while being a mid-size car for It's era looks damn big from the cockpit of a Miata. I suspect the same or even more respect would result in driving that truck. It LOOKS a lot bigger and heavier than it really is. Plop that body and bed onto a lowered 2wd V8 Dakota Chassis. 'Course the 5.9 bolts in right where the 5.2 lived. Hell they even made 5 speed ones! Get u some! Trust me, take some advice from someone with a 454 Chevy Bigblock in a 65 Rambler.........you show up in this truck and you are going to get a metric shitload of slack from the judges. The E30? Look, they don't break out tweezers and magnifying glasses on em....but close.... Last time The Marlin went thru BS tech that Jay inspected it he was like get this heap of shit outta here. 0 Laps. Class C.
Another bonus in doing the truck, There will be pix of that thing all over the internet. GLORY.
Another E 30? Better pull off a theme better than the HOMER...... otherwise.....Meh.

Captain of the Speedholes Wrenching #365 1965 Rambler Marlin and owner of the "Cockroach 454 Chevy Bigblock". Collector Emeritus of awful crapcans.
Earned every finish with Blood, Sweat, Tears,  Smoked brakes,dead wheelbearings, two blower explosions, and a never-ending thirst for more fuel. Finished em all! Currently hiding in a secret base in the shadow of the "Race to the Clouds".

Well, the team name is Grumpy cat racing, so we were plannin og basically stickerbombing the car with internet meme's  Possibly make  a set of trollfaces and wear those through bs inspection.  The plan for the dodge is undecided atm, though we are tempted to do the same thing with it, the truck isn't physically that big, but the metal is.....substantial, and I am used to cars from the 60's.  The metal on this truck makes the 75 dodge tow truck that we have seem as thin as an aluminum can.