Re: Who's in for The NASA sprint race?

So I wasn't there, but my car was. Early report was the cam broke during practice. I figured, eh, that can happen. Guess we need to get a new cam for March. THen the pictures got posted on Facebook.

https://scontent-a-sjc.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/t1/1625707_597974943617316_158327796_n.jpg

It appears the cam must have seized in the bearings, broken, then gotten spit thru the side of the block by the crank & rods. Amazingly enough it reportedly still ran on 2 cylinders.

Constructor/Owner/Driver - Billy Beer Ford Futura

Don't know which track configuration they are using but times are fast. Best is 1:59. So far. Lots around 2:00 mark. Haven't noticed much in the way of pit stops yet. At 1:20:00 now

Spank wrote:

Wow, 60 cars o the roster.

CrazyMike has 1 lap recorded thus far. 2:59.241 (leader has 21)

That makes me sad. And I'm not just saying that. Mike could use a break from non parts breakage.

13X losers (or is 14 now?) refusing to learn from our failures.
Organizer's Choice!  Trophy should have a bottle opener on it.

stimpyvan wrote:
Spank wrote:

Wow, 60 cars o the roster.

CrazyMike has 1 lap recorded thus far. 2:59.241 (leader has 21)

That makes me sad. And I'm not just saying that. Mike could use a break from non parts breakage.

I'm totally with you. I feel like we should do some sort of crowd-source fundraiser and buy him a motor and trans from some fancy-pants bug builder and let him either show off how good they build motors (we hope) or show everyone what crap they turn out. He's definitely the guy to put things through their paces.

^ Mike, I would go in for the crowd sourcing thing.

Van

I tried to call. Got through to Amanda.

Not good.

Me: ring ring ring ring ring... Ring ring
Amanda: "What's up, Sweetie?"
M: "That's what I want to know. Nobody is answering the phone. What happened?"
Amanda: "What do you mean what happened. Who? What? Where?"
M: "Michael-- he only got one lap it looks like."
A: "He blew up the car at the track. And He blew up the trailer on the way home. I'm on my way to get a rental car ... [and some confusing stuff i'm not following]... I'll call you back later."

Click.

Oh shit...

Got a call back. It wasn't the motor this time. It was a rear hub that took him out during practice. Didn't bring spares for a 2 hour race.

For those who follow him, he lost ALL 4 WHEELS at Buttonwillow last June.

I think Scrubby is timed out.

Yeah Mike blew a tire on his trailer last night, when he called to see if I had a spare I was disappointed to report to him that our spare was flat and back at the shop and I could not lend a hand in this situation. Once I dumped our trailer and car, about 9 last night, I called and he was still on the side of the road trying to track down a tire.

'13  Sonoma - Class B Crown Vic, 14 Sonoma IOE - Race Rambler!, Autobahn Class C+IOE #Racevan!, '15 Thill IOE Winner - Omega!, '16 Ridge - IOE - Avanti!, '17 THill Class C Winner - Omega, Butt IOE - Race 411, Sonoma IOE - Aztek '18 Butt - IOE - Allante, MSR - IOE - '41 Olds - '19 Butt-Class C - Allante, '20 Covid, '21 THill-Class B - Omega, Sonoma - IOE and HWG  - Satellite, '22 Sonoma - HWG-Tojan

Minispeedrcr wrote:

Don't know which track configuration they are using but times are fast. Best is 1:59. So far. Lots around 2:00 mark. Haven't noticed much in the way of pit stops yet. At 1:20:00 now

It was fast out there. I had never driven our Crown Vic with so few cars on the track. In traffic we can usually average 2:20-2:25 lap times, We saw 2:13 pretty consistently and the fast lap for us was a 2:05 and some change.

I really enjoyed the race, but something about the lack of traffic just did not feel right to me. We ran 3 drivers, each about 35 minutes and pitted twice, Still managed to come in 30th or 31st overall.

I was concerned that everyone was going to drive like animals but it was a very civil event.

I liked the format, hope they do it again.

'13  Sonoma - Class B Crown Vic, 14 Sonoma IOE - Race Rambler!, Autobahn Class C+IOE #Racevan!, '15 Thill IOE Winner - Omega!, '16 Ridge - IOE - Avanti!, '17 THill Class C Winner - Omega, Butt IOE - Race 411, Sonoma IOE - Aztek '18 Butt - IOE - Allante, MSR - IOE - '41 Olds - '19 Butt-Class C - Allante, '20 Covid, '21 THill-Class B - Omega, Sonoma - IOE and HWG  - Satellite, '22 Sonoma - HWG-Tojan

It irks me that the Race Monitor listing disappears as soon as the race is over. sad I didn't even see what position I finished in. And now the wait for the official timings begins.

Back to the elephant...

Parkwod60 wrote:

So I wasn't there, but my car was. Early report was the cam broke during practice. I figured, eh, that can happen. Guess we need to get a new cam for March. THen the pictures got posted on Facebook.

https://scontent-a-sjc.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/t1/1625707_597974943617316_158327796_n.jpg

It appears the cam must have seized in the bearings, broken, then gotten spit thru the side of the block by the crank & rods. Amazingly enough it reportedly still ran on 2 cylinders.

Lemons has had plenty of thrown rods, even a thrown crank... IS this the first documented thrown camshaft?

That it was still running is quite impressive!

Mike (and I) did make it home, with the help of friends driving in from Vallejo (west of us) and North Highlands (east of us). A trailer tire blew in/around Vacaville and he had no spare. Said friends mentioned how many times Mike had helped them and that they wouldn't hesitate to do the same for him. All this delayed us about two hours but all ended well in that everyone made it home. If Mike recovered OK he and Amanda are at Thunderhill today.

I watched the entire race from the stands all around the track.
Took almost 500 pictures.

I was very impressed.
Well driven!

Curious, was this event sold out?

I must say, I regret not entering. What a mistake I made sad

TH 2009- 40th ~ SP 2010- 13th Class Bad win!! TH 2010- 17th ~TH 2010- 16th  SP 2011- 20th ~ RF 2011- 13th Least Horrible Yank Tank ~ TH 2011- 79th
SP 2011- 105th ~ SP 2012- 119th ~ SP 2013- 139th ~ BW 2013- 17th
Follow Filthy on Facebook: Flailing Lizard Motorsports

Ya I regret not racing either. We got in but I just didn't have the time to pull the engine to find the oil leak.
Looks like it was alot of fun!

Patrick Ghiocel
8-Bit Racing - 1987 Subaru Leone RX
http://www.facebook.com/8BitRacing

We had a great race!  It was a nice change to be out of the traffic for once. It also seemed like less shenanigans on the track; I don't know if that was a function of less cars on the course or quality driving, either way, nice job everybody!

Seth Friesen - Lead wrench turner, LOL Racing
'84 Volvo 245 (Angela) - Sold
'71 Volvo 1800E - Dead
'66 Volvo 122 - 2015 Sears Pointless IOE winner!

mattlqx wrote:

It irks me that the Race Monitor listing disappears as soon as the race is over. sad I didn't even see what position I finished in. And now the wait for the official timings begins.

If you pay another $5 or something (can't remember exactly how much), you can get the upgraded version of RM that lets you look at past results from any race you've watched. It's makes RM a much, much more powerful tool.

I'd guess the full results will be posted either to:

NASA NorCAL on MyLaps or 24 Hours of Lemons on MyLaps

You finished P6, BTW, about 9 seconds behind Cerveza and a minute ahead of the ...Pancake... Rabbit.

Eric Rood
Everything Bagel, 24 Hours of Lemons
eric@24hoursoflemons.com

43 (edited by mattlqx 2014-02-16 09:09 PM)

therood wrote:

You finished P6, BTW, about 9 seconds behind Cerveza and a minute ahead of the ...Pancake... Rabbit.

Thanks for that! I have the paid app, but you have to "watch" the race while it's still around. It was an afterthought since my head was in prep and the race.

I'm extremely pleased with that finish. The car's transmission is going, had problems getting it into 3rd for the last hour of the race.

The mildly amusing part about this race was that nearly the entire field slowed for the last 15-20 minutes of the race. Everyone was running on fumes. The last lap or two there were no fewer than 4 cars on various sides of the track because they had completely run out. I had a fuel light as well so I was trying to hang on in 4th and 5th gears. I was amazed there weren't people flying by me, but seems like 75% of the field was in the same situation.

Great race. Hope they do another sprint at some point.

trekkor wrote:

I was very impressed.
Well driven!

I hope you post up some of the pictures. Would love to see them.

It definitely wasn't full. Not sure what Jay and Co. had targetted for this race but I'd say even at 100 cars there would've still been plenty of space on the track (compared to normal).

mattlqx wrote:
trekkor wrote:

I was very impressed.
Well driven!

I hope you post up some of the pictures. Would love to see them.

It definitely wasn't full. Not sure what Jay and Co. had targetted for this race but I'd say even at 100 cars there would've still been plenty of space on the track (compared to normal).

How full was the Lemons part of the paddock? I think that's the real concern. Car counts are not always dependent on how many cars fit on the track.

Eric Rood
Everything Bagel, 24 Hours of Lemons
eric@24hoursoflemons.com

therood wrote:

How full was the Lemons part of the paddock? I think that's the real concern. Car counts are not always dependent on how many cars fit on the track.

There was a space around where I was, which was pretty close to pit in. There were some NASA guys that parked in the Lemons area but not because they were full in areas of their own as far as I know. I'd say Sonoma's huge paddock was probably 80% full.

I'm processing my photo set.

Keep and eye out in the Pic section.

TH 2009- 40th ~ SP 2010- 13th Class Bad win!! TH 2010- 17th ~TH 2010- 16th  SP 2011- 20th ~ RF 2011- 13th Least Horrible Yank Tank ~ TH 2011- 79th
SP 2011- 105th ~ SP 2012- 119th ~ SP 2013- 139th ~ BW 2013- 17th
Follow Filthy on Facebook: Flailing Lizard Motorsports

We (#58 Crown Vic) were also running with the fuel light on at the end. Usually we can run 2 hours easy on a full tank. I think the fast pace and lack of yellows caused higher fuel consumption.
As Corey was saying it was strange racing with no traffic, fun though. I hope they do it again.

Panting Polar Bears, #58 Crown Vic, #78.5 Rambler, #76 Omega, #58 Camero