1 (edited by Troy 2009-11-22 11:26 PM)

Topic: Attention Miata Haters: Free Miata!!!

http://killeen.craigslist.org/cto/1476944237.html

Miata frame schell FREE
Date: 2009-11-21, 8:59PM

I cut the nose off and you can have the rest.
there's just body and wheels
no roof no seats, no motor, no doors, no dash,
no hood, no trunk hood, finally no title.

254-XXX-XXXX

That's the second listing, the first listing was less specific and said it was just a body.

I called about the first listing and someone was supposed to be picking it up. 

Several days later on Friday, the listing was still posted so I followed up.  We talked a bit and I wasn't real excited about driving 200 miles for a free Miata tub.  I was wondering if I could fit a Miata body in the back of a long bed Ford cause I didn't feel like towing a trailer either.

Needless to say, the guy is trying to convince me to come take his free car.  There was a brief discussion about using a Sawzall, a moving truck and some boards to get it into the back of my truck.

Fast forward to Saturdays Spec Miata race, a friend and team mate befriended a tire wall with his Miata.  Suddenly, there is more need for some spare Miata parts.  I called Saturday night and the car was still there and I find out it's got suspension too so I decided a road trip was in order.

Well, when I showed up to pick it up this morning with a trailer, it's basically a rolling chassis minus a diff.  There are no bolt on body panels left and it has 1 regular tire, two donuts and a rider mower tire.

Don't count on it showing up to Lemons racing Franken Miata style.  It could happen but will most likely be used as a parts car.

So not only are there Miatas under $500, you can even get them for FREE.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

Re: Attention Miata Haters: Free Miata!!!

Troy, I have a garbage bag with some scrap metal bits in it. It will fit in the back of your pickup. The garbage crew doesn't want it. You game? smile

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

I have a SHO motor and transmssion and subframe. A little welding and poof!! FWD Miata.

Mulry, I'm not ready for an MR2 yet.

Sergio, it could just be a mid-engined Miata.  Call it a SHO-ta.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

5 (edited by sergio 2009-11-28 05:05 PM)

They put a SHO engine in a Festiva. So I guess it can be done. I say call it a SHIATA!!! With silent A's......

sergio wrote:

I have a SHO motor and transmssion and subframe. A little welding and poof!! FWD Miata.

You lack imagination, mid engine rwd miata smile

http://wartburg.misfittoysracing.com
OTTER: "I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part."
BLUTO: "We're just the guys to do it."

JThw8 wrote:
sergio wrote:

You lack imagination, mid engine rwd miata smile

well, the counterpoint would be a FWD SHO-powered miata would be sufficiently horrible enough a proposition to scare away anyone thinking of cursing it.