Topic: Brought an enclosed trailer need advice on fitting out the interior.

I just ordered a 24 foot enclosed V nose trailer for Lemons use and off site Racecar and spares storage.   

It is completely lacking in any interior fittings except the plywood floor with D rings. I want to build or repurpose a bench up front to fit into the V and eventually some overhead cabinets fuel can storage etc.

What have people used?
What do you use to screw stuff to the walls?

Any interior pictures and ideas appreciated.

Apocalyptic Racing - Occupy Pit Lane racing
Racing the "Toylet" Toyota Celica powered by Chevrolet Ecotec.
24x Loser with the Celica. 16x loser in other fine machines
Overall winner Gingerman 2019

2 (edited by rodknox2 2014-05-19 05:57 PM)

Re: Brought an enclosed trailer need advice on fitting out the interior.

Here's my 20'.  It was bare also.  The black tool box is a Crapsman that I removed the wheels and bolted and screwed to the plywoood floor.  On the right side is a air tank.  A 12v compressor is next to it on the floor. Air is plumbed to the rear via 1/2"pvc.  Above the tool box is a nut/bolt index.  Above that is another cabinet for books, hats, and other crap. I think I got it from Highway Products and they were able to match the box. To the left of the box is a pit pal fold down tray/fluid shelves.  To the left of that is a helmet cubby.

For the walls...I used aluminum stirngers riveted to the studs.  We tie chairs, tables, and even the main shop tool box to the walls. Also on the walls are all of the track maps that we go to.  Not in the pics, but we added a florescent light above the side door.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7211/7328806742_0cfff625c7.jpgP6030082

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7089/7328784622_54c4a61013.jpgP6030087

shag carpet and stripper pole

dead rabbit society: cultured 'n shit.

PLEASE replace the compressed air PVC pipe with something else!
As PVC ages, it becomes more brittle than it already is.   All it takes is for
something to fall against it to make it shatter, spraying sharp pieces in every
direction.

Copper, while expensive, is almost as light as PVC and much safer.

"I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it!"
IOE winner in the Super Snipe -- Buttonwillow 2012
IOE winner in Super Snipe v2.0 -- Buttonwillow 2016
"Every Super Snipe in Lemons has won an IOE!"

tSoG wrote:

shag carpet and stripper pole

Beat me to it.  Dammit.

Dangerous Banned Technology (NOLA 09), Judges Choice (Houston 2010), Organizers Choice (NOLA 2010), Most Heroic Fix (Dallas 2010), $100 from Jay's Pocket (Dallas 2010), Dangerous Homemade Technology (NOLA 2010), Ununhexium Legends of Lemons Status,  Index of Effluency (Dallas 2011), Most Heroic Fix - (Houston 2011), Index of Effluency (TWS - 2012), Organizers Choice (Dallas 2013)

CowDriver wrote:

PLEASE replace the compressed air PVC pipe with something else!
As PVC ages, it becomes more brittle than it already is.   All it takes is for
something to fall against it to make it shatter, spraying sharp pieces in every
direction.

Copper, while expensive, is almost as light as PVC and much safer.

PVC and Duct Tape. 

Done.

Dangerous Banned Technology (NOLA 09), Judges Choice (Houston 2010), Organizers Choice (NOLA 2010), Most Heroic Fix (Dallas 2010), $100 from Jay's Pocket (Dallas 2010), Dangerous Homemade Technology (NOLA 2010), Ununhexium Legends of Lemons Status,  Index of Effluency (Dallas 2011), Most Heroic Fix - (Houston 2011), Index of Effluency (TWS - 2012), Organizers Choice (Dallas 2013)

Used the two-part epoxy garage floor paint on the floor; it makes it super easy to clean up the inevitable drips of oil, etc. 
http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/productImages/400/5e/5e4d2655-e0bd-4489-a582-43668fcebf82_400.jpg
E-trac rails where the tires are strapped down (because the D-rings are mounted as if I want to strap the car in the very center of the trailer, when we wanted it towards the rear to offset the weight of tools/spares/etc. in the front). 
4 parallel E-tracs in the front, for strapping down our spare motor and other gear.
E-trac along both walls, to allow for easily strapping anything in.  Pic isn't mine, but you get the idea.
http://wellscargo.com/media/images/options/52.jpg
We store all our tools/consumables/spares in the stacking plastic bins with the bi-fold lids (got ours at costco). 
http://hbculifestyle.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/Plastic-Storage-Bin-KeepBox.jpg
We stack them and number them Excel-style (A1, B2, etc.) and created an inventory list so we can quickly look up a tool or part and find the bin.
I built a workbench from wood across the front of the trailer, which serves two purposes: a workbench in the event it's raining, and a surface that allows the bins to be stacked off the floor to allow for heavier storage underneath.  We use vee-boards across the front and back to strap them down to the bench to prevent shifting while on the road.
https://www.veeboards.com/images/home_fraleyschilling.jpg

Perennial Losers
Mazda 787b aka '75 914 - Org Choice @ The Ridge, 2015; IGS @ TH, 2018
BMW M1 Procar aka '80 RX-7 (retired) - Zero awards sad

Thanks!

RodKnox2 do you find having the toolbox bolted down is inconvenient? I was thinking of securing mine to the wall but being able to roll it out closer to the car when it's really needed.

Mike I like the idea of the epoxy floor covering and the E-tracs. I am planning on building a work bench up front as well so I can put the spare engine and trans under and out of the way and stack lighter parts on top. Maybe even a bench mounted vice.

Brett85p wrote:

Thanks!

RodKnox2 do you find having the toolbox bolted down is inconvenient? I was thinking of securing mine to the wall but being able to roll it out closer to the car when it's really needed.

Mike I like the idea of the epoxy floor covering and the E-tracs. I am planning on building a work bench up front as well so I can put the spare engine and trans under and out of the way and stack lighter parts on top. Maybe even a bench mounted vice.

We got one of those Harbor Freight rolling tool boxes and bolted it to one of the front walls.  Was hoping to come up with something fancy, maybe with a wing nut or two off to each side, but we took the cheap and easy route and bolted it to one of the wall studs.  With the wheels locked it has very little flex.  It takes about 5 minutes to remove it, not the type of thing we'd do at every race, but if we had a job to work on in a garage or outside it would be easy enough to move.

We also installed a tire shelf, and as part of that moved our trailer spare up there as well.  Just getting those 5 tires up off the floor made a ton of difference.  I've got pictures somewhere, but posting them here is such a pain in the butt it probably won't happen any time soon..

bs

10 (edited by rodknox2 2014-05-20 02:30 PM)

The black tool box was installed when we were duners.  I didn't want my snap-ons going to the dunes so I bought cheap tools for the box.  But now we don't dune and the box has become a shop extension.  I keep things like a cotter pin selection, wire connector selection, snap rings, and such.  I back the trailer to a shop door and it is an extra room.

Racing requires the main shop box to be at the track.  If we have to change a tranny,(f^ck,sh*t,p#ss) I'll roll the shop box out of the trailer.  Normally, we just leave it in the trailer.

I made an aluminum folding work bench that we strap to the wall when traveling as well as 2 10x10 ez ups.  At the track we use a small costco table in the trailer for a computer and radio charging.  It nests in the work bench when on the road.

You'll have to experiment with weight distribution.  We also carry a 125cc pit bike at the very end of the trailer.

I have too many drawers to remember where everything is...

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7088/7328786080_031870a5f2.jpgP6030080

Mike98036 wrote:

We store all our tools/consumables/spares in the stacking plastic bins with the bi-fold lids (got ours at costco). We stack them and number them Excel-style (A1, B2, etc.) and created an inventory list so we can quickly look up a tool or part and find the bin.

Oh.  I see.  Much like you, we, um, we also bring stuff.

http://scontent-a-sea.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash2/t1.0-9/484018_10150989646329495_816165540_n.jpg

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

Mine arrives late Friday night thanks to my team mate living in the same state as the manufacturer and being able to deliver.
I will be doing a lot of research at Miller so if you see a random person poking around in your trailer and taking pictures don't be alarmed smile

What are you guys using for lights?

We have three standard sized fluorescent (T9?)overhanging light fixtures.  They work great when plugged into shore power, but flicker REALLY badly when running off the 5KW generator.

The Pentastar whisperer

Bayley wrote:

What are you guys using for lights?

We have three standard sized fluorescent (T9?)overhanging light fixtures.  They work great when plugged into shore power, but flicker REALLY badly when running off the 5KW generator.

It comes with the standard 12 V overhead lights and does not have an exterior plug yet. I do plan to add this later.
I see a lot of options on etrailer.com any recommendations?
I expect we will be running off generators for the most part.

Brett85p wrote:

It comes with the standard 12 V overhead lights and does not have an exterior plug yet. I do plan to add this later.

I just picked up one of these but haven't installed it yet.  I'm not 100% sure what I'm going to do as far as internal power and lights, but I'm tempted to just run some standard plastic conduit and gang boxes along the top of the walls for power and maybe some fluorescents or LEDs that will run off 115V.  At the moment, I mainly wanted an easier way to run power into the trailer to keep the battery tender plugged in.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009AN … &psc=1

Perennial Losers

Our generator of choice....honda eu2000i, $1000.  It's quiet, idles down, it's quiet, runs forever on a tank, it's quiet, runs 110v compressors, did I mention it's quiet.  Those 3600rpm gennys are the scourge in the pits.

We use a double 36" fluorescent.  It's plenty of light and cheap.

rodknox2 wrote:

Our generator of choice....honda eu2000i,

I concur.  I finally broke down and bought one at the end of last season.  That little thing is aMAZing!  Set it to auto idle and you wouldn't believe how quiet it gets.

Perennial Losers

18 (edited by OnkelUdo 2014-05-21 06:32 PM)

Mike98036 wrote:
rodknox2 wrote:

Our generator of choice....honda eu2000i,

I concur.  I finally broke down and bought one at the end of last season.  That little thing is aMAZing!  Set it to auto idle and you wouldn't believe how quiet it gets.

Yamaha makes a slightly larger model with a 2500 watt surge for about the same prices and same DB rating...for those that want an alternative.  Sadly, the model that does a REAL 2500 watt surge (starts a 20 AMP AC unit every time) cannot be interlocked like the Hondas or other Yamaha inverter models.

19 (edited by Brett85p 2014-05-24 06:08 PM)

Trailer delivered today, thanks AJ!
Its 6 inches taller than standard and that makes it look real big.
http://i59.tinypic.com/28irfkp.jpg
Made a start on a bench in the front using angle and 4x2s and some plywood. Working out pretty good.
http://i60.tinypic.com/r1ah06.jpg
http://i61.tinypic.com/2lt3drp.jpg

It doesn't just look big.....it is bloody big...ok not speedy and the bowling alley big. But it made the ext wheelbase trailblazer look small.
Towed good, and for price..I think a hell of a deal.

Btw. If any one else is looking at a Diamond Cargo trailer out of Douglas Georgia, I could be interested in delivering it for you. Easy company to deal with for the pick up. And I like road trips. Esp to places I haven't been before.

12. Gingerman , Heroic Fix award
10/12 Autobahn, 51st overall.
Team Apocalyptic Racing
1978 Ecotec Celica.

Looking at that fresh wood, I'd second what others are saying wrt coating the floors, walls, etc.  You will want to put something down before you put a drippy Lemons car in there, it's amazing how quickly the floors will get all schmeggy.

bs

22 (edited by Brett85p 2014-05-26 07:01 PM)

I want to do something to protect the wood it might just be screwing a piece of scrap ply or a drip tray under the engine at least for the first race.

Got a bit done over then weekend, spare engine strapped in and got a couple of cheap shop carts at HF that fit my storage bins and keep everything else in place also makes it easy to get at parts. Have a few ideas for a tire rack, maybe something on a big hinge so it can swing against the far wall at the track and back width wise for towing to balance the weight. If anyone has done this or has ideas on a hinge that will handle the weight of 4 wheels let me know.http://i62.tinypic.com/znva81.jpghttp://i57.tinypic.com/zk625e.jpg

Are you bringing this bad boy to Miller?

45+x Loser.....You'd think I would learn......
5x I.O.E  Winner   1 Heroic Fix Winner   1 Org Choice Winner
2x  I Got Screwed Winner    2x Class C Winner
(Still a Class B driver in a Class A car)

That engine is right where you're going to want to put your winch.

bs

BigBird wrote:

Are you bringing this bad boy to Miller?

No I'm flying in to run with my brother in the Cowmaro.