Topic: Rock Auto vs. Core Charge @ PartsRUs

So... last year, building my new car, I went all out. I bought and stripped a parts car and procured a pile of spares from Rock Auto.  Some of them even came in handy at the first race.

Now it's time to replenish those spares.  And I'm wondering whether there's a way to maximize my dollars.  Sure, Rock Auto usually has the cheapest price even including shipping.  But you don't get a core refund when buying core parts (starters, brake calipers, etc.), right?

Where do you go to replace these items?  Got a favorite regional/national chain?

I've got two starters, a set of brake calipers and some half shafts that I'm thinking of replacing or scrapping.  But if I can find a way to use them to reduce the purchase price of spares, I would like to do that.

A&D: 2011 Autobahn, 2012 Gingerman, 2012 Road America, 2012 Autobahn II, 2013 Gator-O-Rama (True 24!)
Sir Jackie Stewart's Coin Purse Racing
2013 Chubba Cheddar Enduro - Organizer's Choice, 2014 Doing Time in Joliet
http://www.facebook.com/#!/SirJackieSte … urseRacing

Re: Rock Auto vs. Core Charge @ PartsRUs

Some of the parts you can do core with at rock auto.  It think they send you a shipping label that you can send it back to.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

Hmm... I wondered about that.  If I don't have to pay for shipping, that's possibly a win-win.

A&D: 2011 Autobahn, 2012 Gingerman, 2012 Road America, 2012 Autobahn II, 2013 Gator-O-Rama (True 24!)

Here is the section about cores from Rock Auto

http://www.rockauto.com/lang/en/policy.html

Cores
Some of the parts we sell are remanufactured. These parts are identified in our catalog as "remanufactured" or "reman."

For parts like alternators and master cylinders, the basic body (a complex and expensive metal casting) usually is very durable. But components, like bushings and seals, can wear out and cause the part to fail. Replacing just the worn components can be very cost-effective, helps protect the environment, and produces very reliable results. (Visit Cardone Industries, our primary supplier of remanufactured parts, for more information about remanufacturing.)

Remanufactured parts usually have a core charge. The core charge is a deposit that the manufacturer charges us, and which we pass on to you, to encourage the return of old parts to be remanufactured. You pay the core charge when you place your order. If you return the old part to us, we refund the core charge.

To receive credit, cores (except for complete engines and transmissions) must be returned within six months of the date your order was placed. Complete engine and transmission cores must be returned within 60 days from the date your order is delivered.

Cores must be complete, rebuildable, fit the same vehicle application and be returned in the box the remanufactured part came in. This means the part you send back needs to have whatever components (like pulleys) came on the remanufactured part. The box helps identify the part and proves to the manufacturer that the core replaces one of their products. Obviously, the core won't be working well (or you wouldn't have replaced it) but it can't be smashed, rusted solid, or otherwise unusable. (We rarely reject a core. If the part came off a running vehicle and just wore out--no problem. But please don't send a part that's been soaking in junkyard mud for 5 years and expect to receive core credit!)

Shipping charges on cores aren't refundable. (Before sending back a core, you'll need to decide if the core deposit is worth the shipping cost.) As with any return, before returning a core you must obtain and follow return instructions from our Order Status & Returns page or via email.

Looks like you need to pay return shipping

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner

5 (edited by RogueLeader 2014-05-28 02:07 PM)

Rock does Cores, sometimes its worth it, sometimes its not.  On those parts I price out the cost through Advance and AutoZone locally and figure out net/net whats cheaper.  If you can fit it in a USPS flat rate box, its generally worth it.  Sometimes its even cheaper to get from Rock and not waste the time with the core charge.  However recently I got a starter and Advance when all was said and done was $10 cheaper.  Also you need to remember Advance and AZ have lifetime warranty on some of their parts.  I've gone through 2 or 3 alternators on the fox from one purchase 8 years ago from them.

Tom Lomino - Proud to be a 23x Lemons Loser, 3x Class B, and 1x IOE Winner!
Craptain, Team Farfrumwinnin - 1995 Volkswagen Golf #14
Click here to "Like" us on Facebook   Click here for our Youtube Videos
Lifetime Achievement (of hopelessness) Award Winners

I had a starter last me about 6 hours.  So that lifetime warranty sounds appealing.

Generally if something requires a core return I'll go to a local parts store.  Unless the prices online plus the core charge are less than the local place charges for just the part.  Then I buy it online and eat the core charge.  Sending old greasy parts back is a big pain in the ass.  Lately I've been buying most of my parts from Amazon.  They actually have a pretty good selection, plus free 2 day shipping with a lot of them if you have a Prime membership.  Their part lookup sucks, so I use RockAuto to find the PN I'm looking for, and then search for it on Amazon.

Sorry For Party Racing! - 1985 Pontiac Firebird - Car #35

A race car exists only in two states: broken or in the process of becoming that way.

We kill a starter every year. Don't ask me how. I bought a new one 3 years ago from pep boys and gave the old as a core. New one had a lifetime warranty. So every spring I walk in, they test it, confirm it's dead, and I get a free new one. It's really nice.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

When I need parts that include a core charge I have tended to order them from Advance Auto Parts on line. They are shipped to my home. The price may not be as cheap as say RockAuto but I can return the cores for credit to any, I repeat any Advance Auto parts store. NO SHIPPING!

Not to abuse a good system, but for those "unlikely, but tragic if not on hand" spares...I buy from Autozone on Wednesday before the race and return on Tuesday after.  This really is only for things like half-shafts where the act of even pulling them fromm the spare front sub-frame (stupid design) can take longer than everything else combined.

We will be using this process for the fuel pump assembly in the future now that we have the new access panel cut.  These are items that "never fail" on the street but if they do, local parts stores are unlikely to have them...because they never fail...but you are totally dead in the water when they to.

On brake calipers in particular, I always buy local.  Inspected 4 Volvo 240 ATE calipers in a row with guidance from the online guru...all four we assembled with halves from left and right side calipers which means they will never bleed correctly.  Any intel you have where physical inspection of the part before hitting the road for the track, buy local.

jimbbski wrote:

When I need parts that include a core charge I have tended to order them from Advance Auto Parts on line. They are shipped to my home. The price may not be as cheap as say RockAuto but I can return the cores for credit to any, I repeat any Advance Auto parts store. NO SHIPPING!

Excellent!  There's an Advance right near me.  (I live in the boonies, so my choices are NAPA that's only open banker's hours or Advance.)

piper.gras wrote:

Lately I've been buying most of my parts from Amazon.  They actually have a pretty good selection, plus free 2 day shipping with a lot of them if you have a Prime membership.  Their part lookup sucks, so I use RockAuto to find the PN I'm looking for, and then search for it on Amazon.

This is exactly what I've been doing.  The price with shipping is usually less than Rockauto and a surprising number things are avialable with Prime shipping.  Returning to Amazon is usually a breeze too.

Our Lady of Perpetual Downforce
http://www.perpetualdownforce.com/

13 (edited by Parkwod60 2014-05-30 12:05 AM)

Advance Auto also usually has promo codes for online ordering for up to 50% off your order. If you can't get 25-33% off an online order from them you aren't trying. Lots of times the special is 20% off an order of $50 or more + a giftcard you can use later for $25.

I don't look at them daily anymore, but if there are new deals they will be posted on this page for the site I work for:

http://www.savings.com/m-Advance-Auto-P … upons.html

Constructor/Owner/Driver - Billy Beer Ford Futura

Watch out for Advance Autos "Limited Lifetime" warranty, what that means is the first replacement is free, the second replacement is limited to something like 90 days or 6 months after then your out, no more freebiez.

Homestead Chump 5th-Sebring 6th-PBIR Lemons 9th - Charlotte Chump  CrashnBurn 9th
Sebring 6th again -NOLA Chump 1st -PBIR Chump Trans Fail 16th
Daytona 11th - Sebring 6th - Atlanta Motor Speedway 2nd - Road Atlanta Trans Fail 61st-Road Atlanta 5th
Daytona 13th - Charlotte 9th - Sebring 2nd-Charlotte 25th broken brakes - Road Atlanta 14 10th-Daytona 14  58th- Humid TT 19th Judges' Choice!

OnkelUdo wrote:

Not to abuse a good system, but for those "unlikely, but tragic if not on hand" spares...I buy from Autozone on Wednesday before the race and return on Tuesday after.  This really is only for things like half-shafts where the act of even pulling them fromm the spare front sub-frame (stupid design) can take longer than everything else combined..

I've done this too for several races where I knew we didn't have a spare handy, but I always make a point of telling the guy at the counter that I'm just picking it up as an emergency spare and will hopefully be returning it.  They've always been cool with that.  Of course, I frequent my local shop plenty enough that I've got a long history of sales in their computer, which may help.

Pucker Factor Racing - Gator-O-Rama, Feb '11, Yee-Haw It's Lemons Texas!, Oct '11
Scuderia Ignorante - Yee-Haw, It's Lemons Texas, Feb '12 (As seen in Car & Driver), Gator-O-Rama, Sept '13

Team Infinniti wrote:

Watch out for Advance Autos "Limited Lifetime" warranty, what that means is the first replacement is free, the second replacement is limited to something like 90 days or 6 months after then your out, no more freebiez.

Interesting.....

Apocalyptic Racing - Occupy Pit Lane racing
Racing the "Toylet" Toyota Celica powered by Chevrolet Ecotec.
24x Loser with the Celica. 16x loser in other fine machines
Overall winner Gingerman 2019

Brett85p wrote:
Team Infinniti wrote:

Interesting.....

Yeah I think they changed it because of people like me......

Tom Lomino - Proud to be a 23x Lemons Loser, 3x Class B, and 1x IOE Winner!
Craptain, Team Farfrumwinnin - 1995 Volkswagen Golf #14
Click here to "Like" us on Facebook   Click here for our Youtube Videos
Lifetime Achievement (of hopelessness) Award Winners

Brett85p wrote:
Team Infinniti wrote:

Interesting.....

Pep boys hasn't caught on yet. 3 free starters, all linked to my account. If I'm walking into an Advanced Auto it's usually an act of desperation when Pep boys and Napa have failed me.

Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

Advanced Auto screwed me on an Alternator.  Broke down in New Braunfels and bought & replaced the alternator (with warranty)........drove back to Houston and the "new" alternator stopped working two days later.   Took it to a Houston Advance Auto and they told me I'd have to take it back to New Braunfels.  Told the guy behind the counter to shove it!

I did, however, get about 6 sets of free brake pads out of Autozone on a lifetime warranty.  No questions asked...bring in old pads and boom...new set!   It's was the wife's car.....she hard on brakes!  (...and everything else on a car!)

Tetanus Racing Toxoid!
86 E30  It ain't cheatin' if it's junk!
Work in Progress

Whichever parts store was closest to NJMP had some "if we don't have pads for your car they're free" thing going on. One of my drivers proceeded to ask for '89 daytona pads, and then ask for free ones when they didn't have them (no one ever has the right fronts). He then got hit with the "must be a car from the last 12 years" crap. Of course he's making this poor kid run around calling managers about it while other teams are there trying to also get parts.

Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon

I recently used Rockauto for a complete steering rack assembly.  It was by far the cheapest and had a core return.  I returned the old rack in the same box and used their FedEx number, which was the key as it only cost $15.  I checked USPS and they wanted something like $50.  Within two weeks my core return was back on my credit card.

Team Glue Sticks
00 Firebird, 02 X-Type, 93 NX2000, 00 Mazda 626 (Sold)
2016 NJMP Heroic Fix, 2017 NJMP Near Heroic Fix except we can't drive, 2017 Thompson I Got Screwed, 2019 Pitt Heroic Fix

piper.gras wrote:

Generally if something requires a core return I'll go to a local parts store.  Unless the prices online plus the core charge are less than the local place charges for just the part.  Then I buy it online and eat the core charge.  Sending old greasy parts back is a big pain in the ass.  Lately I've been buying most of my parts from Amazon.  They actually have a pretty good selection, plus free 2 day shipping with a lot of them if you have a Prime membership.  Their part lookup sucks, so I use RockAuto to find the PN I'm looking for, and then search for it on Amazon.

I wouldn't say that I buy most of my parts from Amazon but I do agree that sometimes you can get a cheaper deal there (even if you pay for shipping).
* For some exhaust bits, I've actually found Summit Racing to be pretty decent. The only catch is that you really do need to buy $100+ worth of items to get free shipping from them. Otherwise, I've found you can save a little money buy buying from summitracing via eBay (just search for the item's part number in question).
* For one or two small items, I've also found JEGS with their no-shipping or handling terms, to be viable (ex: redline PS fluid).

Myopic Motorsport's #888 Ceci n'est pas une Citron Thunderbird ("This is not a lemon" but a 1995 tbird w/ 93 V8 swap + shopping cart rear wing + engine mounted frito maker)
2017 Sears Pointless Organizer’s Choice
Frito Making Tbird from 2018 Sears Pointless Engine Heat BBQ - http://goo.gl/csaet4

23 (edited by vasilikks 2015-10-07 01:45 AM)

RockAuto has very cheap prices for the auto parts they sell and they also offer discount codes to save 5% from your order, but I wish they could also offer free shipping. This would indeed be kind of great.

vasilikks wrote:

RockAuto has very cheap prices for the auto parts they sell, but I wish they could also offer free shipping. This would indeed be kind of great.

Sure would be but is also unrealistic.  Their prices are so cheap because they are basically just an aggregator of warehouses willing to direct ship.

I do suggest using their not very easy system for choosing multiple alternate choices for each item to attempt to ship from one or two warehouses on larger (quantity of items) orders.  About 75% of the time I can whittle an 8-10 item order down to two warehouses.

RogueLeader wrote:
Brett85p wrote:
Team Infinniti wrote:

Interesting.....

Yeah I think they changed it because of people like me......

As a former Autozoner, I can tell you that it almost certainly depends on the store.

"Limited lifetime warranty" technically only covers manufacturing defects.  We had people that would bring in worn out pads and rotors and expect free replacements, and we were told to explain that unless one of the pads fell apart or the rotor cracked or something like that, it wasn't covered by the warranty. 

Meanwhile, the store down the street would exchange absolutely anything, no questions asked, as many times as you want.

-Nathan - Team Captain, Priority Fail Racing
1997 Golf GTI VR6 Mid Engine