Topic: engines for the K

OK, Chrysler fwd engines are no where near an area of expertise for me.  I guess it has a 3.0 in it now.  Pull and pay trip yielded few options.  So I turn to you guys and gals.  Gimme suggestions.  Ones that may be easy to ones that are a little further out there.  I'm a competent fabricator and I play a mechanic at work.  Rules:  fwd only, not into a rwd conversion for it.  Lemon-aid has done that to the metro.  Single engine only.  Dual engine has been done, be a Lotta work to do something someone else has already done.  Please list the vehicles I may find the engine you suggest in.  I'm a heavy equipment mechanic, wanna know what engine is in a Terex TS-14DII, I know that(series 40 Detroit), what engines in a 1975 AMC whatever, I'll have to look that up.  Thanks guys and gals.

Carbon footprint diesel chevette: IOE Gingerman '11, ClassC winner Autobahn, 13
Isuzu iMark diesel: IOE Gingerman'13
Chrysler Cordoba: Organizers Choice Barber '14

2 (edited by BoB 2014-07-01 09:03 AM)

Re: engines for the K

http://www.auctionsamerica.com/events/f … ;category=

I think this is all you need

Other than that gm diesel out of a cutlass ciera.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

^I saw that coming from a mile away. lol

Oh its already being watched

oh and don't forget the cordoba  http://www.auctionsamerica.com/events/f … ;category=

Facebook Page

The K has seen more engine failure than any one car ever should.  How about a FWD Volvo drive train from an 850/950?  That would be a hell of a step forward in the reliability department.  Volvo's are much less likely to ventilate their blocks than those Chrysler/DSM engines.  Plus they're plentiful in the junkyard.

Sorry For Party Racing! - 1985 Pontiac Firebird - Car #35

A race car exists only in two states: broken or in the process of becoming that way.

Turbo II engines work..... Just go back to that. Really get the cooling system in good condition, run a good oil cooler with the oil pan overfilled slightly with good oil, and turn the boost down to 8-10psi.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

TheEngineer wrote:

Turbo II engines work..... Just go back to that. Really get the cooling system in good condition, run a good oil cooler with the oil pan overfilled slightly with good oil, and turn the boost down to 8-10psi.

What would I find those in?

Any 6G7[X] engine will bolt up to that 5 speed:

3.0L
2000–2005 Mitsubishi Eclipse
1999–2003 Mitsubishi Galant

3.5L
1993–present Mitsubishi Montero/Shogun
1997–2004 Mitsubishi Diamante

3.8L
2003–present Mitsubishi Montero
2004–2009 Mitsubishi Galant
2006–2012 Mitsubishi Eclipse

The Pentastar whisperer

The Mitsubishi 3.0 liter V6 is one of the easiest engines to find in any American junkyard-- incredible quantities of 80s/90s Chryslers came with them. Here is the list of vehicles with 6G72 engines. Not saying it's a particularly reliable engine, but you will regret the amount of fabrication work required to put a cross-platform drivetrain swap into that bottomless pit of despair.

The Chrysler Turbo engine is also a bolt-in, but the entire 2.2/2.5 family has been among the least reliable engines in Lemons. Easy to find in junkyards, of course.

So from what I'm understanding from Phil's post is that the easy way is to continue throwing a bunch of unreliable about to blow up time bombs under the hood, or you could try and stick something in that may last a few races at least.

If you wanted diesel to go with most of what you've raced VW is the only one that I can think offhand that would be plentiful.

Facebook Page

Judge Phil wrote:

The Mitsubishi 3.0 liter V6 is one of the easiest engines to find in any American junkyard-- incredible quantities of 80s/90s Chryslers came with them. Here is the list of vehicles with 6G72 engines. Not saying it's a particularly reliable engine, but you will regret the amount of fabrication work required to put a cross-platform drivetrain swap into that bottomless pit of despair.

The Chrysler Turbo engine is also a bolt-in, but the entire 2.2/2.5 family has been among the least reliable engines in Lemons. Easy to find in junkyards, of course.

Oh I agree.  My issue was that we went to two yards this weekend and found a total of 3.  Two were locked to the point I couldn't turn them with a bar.  Number 3 had no hood on vehicle and oil cap was off...... .

I assumed with your diesel expertise that it was going tdi. I think that's the only way to exercise the demons. Complete from subframe swap?

Newest member - White Trash Racing
Owner of the Traveling Hat

We looked at that also.  But I haven't found a complete car I can get everything I need from yet.  We are still looking at all possibilities.  Just getting opinions and options.  I know the 3.0 is gonna be the easy way, but it has proven its not very reliable.  So easy may not be the best way.  I wish I could get a list of what oil and how much everyone ran in the car.  That plus where the pickup is would tell me a lot.

We bought the last engine in a car that was wrecked by Grannie.  Then we got 3/4 of our money back by throwing the cashed engine in the trunk and the crusher man gave us 350 $$ .

This space for rent.

My craigslist app just popped up two.  A turbo laser and a dodge of some kind.

If you're willing to do all the work to swap a different FWD drivetrain into the K, there's only one choice: Cadillac Eldorado 500.

Judge Phil wrote:

If you're willing to do all the work to swap a different FWD drivetrain into the K, there's only one choice: Cadillac Eldorado 500.

So we widen the car 2'....

chevette wrote:
Judge Phil wrote:

So we widen the car 2'....

455 out of a riviera or toronado is almost as good...

I mentioned this elsewhere, but do any of the newer chrysler 2.0/2.4 engines work?

Silent But Deadly Racing-  Ricky Bobby's Laughing Clown Malt Liquor Thunderbird , Datsun 510, 87 Mustang (The Race Team Formerly Known as Prince), 72 Pinto Squire waggy, Parnelli Jones 67 Galaxie, Turbo Coupe Surf wagon.(The Surfin Bird), Squatting Dogs In Tracksuits,  Space Pants!  Roy Fuckin Kent and The tribute to a tribute to a tribute THUNDERBIRD/ SUNDAHBADOH!

With a new engine,  I just know K will win!!

This space for rent.

chevette wrote:
TheEngineer wrote:

What would I find those in?

Any chrysler product from the 80s that was a 4 cylinder. There's some differences between years in what will bolt up with what engine component wise, but for the most part they are like legos. I ackowldge that they are very blow-upy, but they don't have to be. The engine I have in the daytona right now I have had in it for 4 races, and will use it again in october. It's an 88 turbo II engine with boost around 8psi. I'll be going to 10psi in october.

The trick (at least for us. Omnilith i'm sure can chime in with more wisdom) is keeping it cool and full of cool oil. Big oil cooler, we run 20w50 VR1 oil and overfill the pan by at least a quart. Check the bearings every race and replace as needed.

Join the turbo dodge crew. It's a fun experience.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

My first Lemons race was as an arrive and drive with a Turbo Dodge. Couldn't keep oil in it and had to replace two pistons during the race. A true Lemons experience.

Newest member - White Trash Racing
Owner of the Traveling Hat

Off the top of the head idea, a reliable (and powerful) cross platform swap could happen if one were to gut any VQ30 powered maxima, transfer the entire subframe all the way up to the dash cluster, it should run on the same fuel pump that is already in the tank.

Homestead Chump 5th-Sebring 6th-PBIR Lemons 9th - Charlotte Chump  CrashnBurn 9th
Sebring 6th again -NOLA Chump 1st -PBIR Chump Trans Fail 16th
Daytona 11th - Sebring 6th - Atlanta Motor Speedway 2nd - Road Atlanta Trans Fail 61st-Road Atlanta 5th
Daytona 13th - Charlotte 9th - Sebring 2nd-Charlotte 25th broken brakes - Road Atlanta 14 10th-Daytona 14  58th- Humid TT 19th Judges' Choice!

You know, the first and third V6s weren't all that bad. The first one lasted for 4 or so races and a bunch of highway miles. The third one did great at Road America and Sears Point in December and there is a possibility the demise of that one in March was driver error. The last one was an unknown going in and we still don't know exactly what happened to it. It could have been because of the clutch, it could have been because the motor mounts broke and tweaked everything or it could have been weak from the junkyard. No post mortem has been done.
You could go the easy way and try another one of those. But I am enjoying all of the other recommendations as well.

The engine in the car has a PnP extended warranty on it, so hopefully chris gave you the receipt.  I got the warranty in case the engine I picked turned out to be a dud, but it may help you out to. The flywheel, upper intake, injector harness, and rear exhaust manifold all need to be switched over to whatever engine you find, so remove them off the core.  Plan on beefing up the transaxle mount.  Hopefully there is enough material left for a heli coil to bite into.
Any idea when the k is shipping out?  I've got a couple extra parts you could use.  Like an oil pan w/o a hole in it.   That may make the exchange easier.