Topic: 2009 Season Champions!

For those of you not on the e-mail list....

THE 24 HOURS OF Lemons 2009 SEASON CHAMPIONS

It's finally here--the day you've all been waiting for. (You know, besides the day when daily beef jerky home delivery becomes a reality.)

Contrary to outward appearances, we've been paying attention this Lemons season, and have five prestigious awards based on the annual accomplishments of the manufacturers, teams, and drivers that make Lemons into the biggest freakshow in motorsports. So, without further ado....

2009 CONSTRUCTOR CHAMPION: BMW
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2498/4167090484_7b2c409b2a_b.jpg

Much to the chagrin of the judges, the relentless stream of Lemons E30s actually paid off in the end. Though plenty of Bimmers performed embarrassingly badly in '09 Lemons events, enough scored top-ten finishes to snatch the crown from 2008 champ Mazda. OK, E30 dudes, you've proved your point--now go get a Fiat and prove you can do it the hard way.

2009 DECONSTRUCTOR CHAMPION: FORD
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2788/4167090996_fecf7a3fd0_o.jpg

The Deconstructor Champion is not necessarily the marque that is the most terrible. Rather, it's the brand that is the most spectacularly terrible. While we did have a Mustang win a Lemons race in '09, that feat was more than offset by the typical SHO pit, which always looks like ground zero of a Taurus jihad.

2009 TEAM CHAMPION: THE CALI CAJUNS
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2633/4166331185_36fbaf1e02_o.jpg

Living up to their name, the Cali Cajuns built two cars for west coast and southern events, and scored five top-ten (including four top-five) finishes in the six races they entered. The one hiccup? When they stuttered to 65th place at Goin' For Broken in Reno, driving a lousy Honda Prelude instead of their tried-and-true Saturn SC2.

2009 DRIVER CHAMPIONS: JEFF GRANBERRY AND SCOTT MCLEOD
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2509/4167091176_1a88184761_o.jpg

Though the Cali Cajuns lost some cool points by punting the Lemons Event Manager mid-corner at the Arse-Freeze-Apalooza, we were too lazy to re-think the awards. Plus, these two freaks contributed to all five of those top-ten finishes--no one else even comes close.

2009 24 HOURS OF Lemons COPPA di BONDO: RUBBER BISCUIT RACING
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2677/4167091390_9ab1e05d61_o.jpg

The Coppa di Bondo is awarded to the team that whinelessly plugs away, race after race, despite incessant mechanical tragedy. After adding a horrible VW Rabbit to their existing (and equally ghastly) Honda CRX, the Texas-based Team Blue Goose was certainly in the running. But after promising us hot girl bartenders from the team captain's restaurant and failing to deliver race after race, we passed the honors on to the Caprice-exploding Rubber Biscuit racing. Spotted at Lemons races from Toledo to Texas, the Biscuits always bring a smile, a little southern applejack, and a Chevy that's guaranteed to launch its con-rods into orbit. Never mind the fact that they could easily finish if they just bolted in a stock smallblock instead of trying to cheat with some guy's backyard "race motor"--these guys simply get it.

For 2010, we'll post a running tally of most of the season standings--that way, you can shrug off that 65th-place finish and aim for the long haul. Unless, of course, you're driving a Taurus SHO.

Re: 2009 Season Champions!

Look closely at the hood of that silver E30

Yep, you just got rickrolled smile

E30's should all go up in flames...

Two unfortunate realities of Lemons:

1. E30s are pretty good.

2. Miatas might be even better but are harder in BS.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

Troy wrote:

1. E30s are pretty good.

Actually, about 48% of E30s finish in the bottom half of the standings, which means they broke and/or were so uncontrollable as to land their drivers in the Penalty Box numerous times. Were you to say "mid-80s Celicas are pretty good" I wouldn't dispute that, but BMW won the Constructor Championship more by quantity than quality (the E30 is the single most numerous Lemons vehicle, by far).

Miatas are indeed "better" (at least in terms of reliability), but we sweat them harder than any other car during BS inspection.

Troy wrote:

1. E30s are pretty good.

You know what I just realized? Troy still thinks Lemons is about winning

"This is the scene where I get shot," Bronson said. "I have these little squibs that explode to make it look like bullets are hitting." "Fascinating," said Bergman. "I never knew how they did that." "You mean," asked Bronson, "you don't use machine guns in your movies?"

Staying out of the penalty box is winning...

We won!

KT

TH 2009- 40th ~ SP 2010- 13th Class Bad win!! TH 2010- 17th ~TH 2010- 16th  SP 2011- 20th ~ RF 2011- 13th Least Horrible Yank Tank ~ TH 2011- 79th
SP 2011- 105th ~ SP 2012- 119th ~ SP 2013- 139th ~ BW 2013- 17th
Follow Filthy on Facebook: Flailing Lizard Motorsports

7 (edited by Troy 2009-12-07 10:21 PM)

Judge Jonny wrote:
Troy wrote:

1. E30s are pretty good.

You know what I just realized? Troy still thinks Lemons is about winning

I figure I need a 4 gen Maxima and a BS Lawyer to win.

Wait, maybe a 4 gen Maxima without a Lawyer would be better.

I'll get to that right after I finish patching the crappy out Z back together.

Regarding Miatas, damn they have nice suspension!!!

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z