Re: engines for the K

LowFlyin wrote:

Why not rebuild one of the lumps you buy instead of just throwing it in as it leaves the junkyard?

This is the answer. And it's so cheap to do. I'm still in the camp of go back to a 2.2 (for turbo glory!). Make sure the oil passages are clean, put new bearings in, put a new water pump on. That will run you maybe $100 for parts. If you're ambitious get ARP head studs to replace the torque to yield bolts. Then just keep it cool.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

The lump that is in it has a hole in the block.  Pull n pay around here has the oil fill caps off, so I'll pass on those.  Plus the wiring in this car was such a cluster, we're starting over.

Carbon footprint diesel chevette: IOE Gingerman '11, ClassC winner Autobahn, 13
Isuzu iMark diesel: IOE Gingerman'13
Chrysler Cordoba: Organizers Choice Barber '14

chevette wrote:

The lump that is in it has a hole in the block.  Pull n pay around here has the oil fill caps off, so I'll pass on those.  Plus the wiring in this car was such a cluster, we're starting over.

None of that I can argue with. I was just agreeing with the idea that any decent lump from a pick and pull should have a basic rebuild done to it before it goes in instead of just hoping that it's not going to blow up.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

I agree, whatever goes in will be disassembled and inspected at the least.

Carbon footprint diesel chevette: IOE Gingerman '11, ClassC winner Autobahn, 13
Isuzu iMark diesel: IOE Gingerman'13
Chrysler Cordoba: Organizers Choice Barber '14