Re: e36's

e36

guys spec E30 racers are set at 2750lbs.....so it would take serious work to get any E30 down to 1900lbs..

E36's do make great track cars....which is why so many (typically M3's) are raced...but it will be difficult to find one that runs reliably enough to finish the race AND pass BS....

Richard Doty
1984 Porsche 928 "Estate"
Porsche- "there is A substitute" Racing
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

why don't you tall people just cut a targa top..

this isn't SEMA and you aren't building a car to represent a multi-million dollar company.

Mike Peters
Former rotary brat pioneer.
3.17.08 Jalopnik Hoon of the day.  #hasbeen
1984 Dodge Rampage, A few SHO engines, a Mustang 8.8, and a lot of hot glue going on now.

icemang17 wrote:

guys spec E30 racers are set at 2750lbs.....so it would take serious work to get any E30 down to 1900lbs..

E36's do make great track cars....which is why so many (typically M3's) are raced...but it will be difficult to find one that runs reliably enough to finish the race AND pass BS....

and as such you are allowed 65 pounds less than OEM factory weight.  i would guess our e30 weighs less than 2300 pounds.

my e36 track car with full cage is less than 2800 pounds.

BS Inspection is the major hurdle here.  pretty sure an e36 would rock any Lemons race.

whatever it was i didn't do it
dorifto dogs E30 - gone but not forgotten

Lee Ho Fook's Racing E36

We ran and E36 in Houston in October.  It was bone stock--we did not even change the brake fluid that was in the car when we picked it up in the Ghetto.

It ran beautifully.  Of course we started 48 laps down due to BS judging, and we spent some time in the penalty box, but the car performed flawlessly.

IMHO, E36s are going to perform better than 80% percent of the cars in a Lemons race because: 1.  they are newer, on average; and 2. They were performance cars when they were built

Getting into the race, and getting pass BS are the challenges with an E36--compared to almost any other car on the track, the E36 is going to be just as reliable and faster than most.

Troy
Revolutionary Racing

Revolutionary Racing wrote:

IMHO, E36s are going to perform better than 80% percent of the cars in a Lemons race because: 1.  they are newer, on average; and 2. They were performance cars when they were built

I agree with that conclusion. The problem with e36's in this racing series is that they just aren't lemon-y enough. This series isn't for race cars or anything even approximating race cars. It is for racing cars that should never, ever be raced. If I had it to do all over again, I wouldn't get an MR2 -- not because they are successful as a race car (our experience proves that they're anything but) -- but because they're just not crappy enough. If I were starting now, I'd definitely pick one of those mid-century Buicks, Chevys, or Fords (or DeSotos or Studes or Hillmans or whatever) and have a lot of fun with it.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

I agree in part and disagree in part. Yes, I'm all for diversity and yes, there are more lemon-y cars out there than an e36. However, car choice for Lemons sometimes becomes, in many instances, a very personal choice for some reason. You're always going to have differing points of view, often within your own team, on what car should ultimately be purchased/raced. But, I think that it shouldn't be all that bad (if you get accepted in the first place) to show up in a BMW/Supra/Miata/5spd Maxima/ZX/Porsche/FoxBody/etc., IF:

- if you aren't there for the "overall win"...
- your car really is a $500 car and isn't made of pure cheatonium...
- your roster isn't made up of SCCA/NASA all-stars...
- you have a decent theme, etc...

Point is, you're still there to have fun and "race" a car that wouldn't have passed even the most basic state inspection 6 months ago...

Summer's Eve Racing - '09 Yee-Haw; '10 Gator-O-Rama, NorDal Hooptie, Yee-Haw; '11 Gator-O-Rama, NorDal Hooptie (Winner, Class A!)
TARP Racing - '11 Yee-Haw, Heaps; '12 Gator-O-Rama (Winner, Class C ... Looking for a Class B Win to Complete the Trifecta!), Heaps; '13 NorDal Hooptie, Gator-O-Rama

I totally agree.  We ran an E36, but it was a true sub 500 car--having had a pretty good accident before we picked it up.  (in fact, not sure what to do about the new fender rule since our car has never had a passenger fender and grill since we have known her)

Not one of our 5 team members had ever raced in any car wheel to wheel.  4 of our 5 are pretty clueless mechanically.  This car was perfect for us, because it allowed us to get into the action without having to install a motorcycle motor, or a radiator in the passenger seat like some of the more enterprising teams have done.  As i said, other than removing stuff to take weight out, our car was pretty much bone stock.  We only lifted the hood a few times before the race.  We did not even replace the brakes or brake fluid that were on it when we bought it.  The car ran the whole race.  There are a not a whole lot of other sub 500 cars that can do that right out of the box

We had a blast, and the car was fun to run and competitive (if not for the BS laps).  It was certainly not as fast as some less well known cars that had been worked over.

I think Lemons is about having fun  and hanging out with car guys.  I would love to rescue a pre-fall-of the berlin wall skoda or some other crazy car, but if that was the only way to get into the Lemons action, we would have been on the sidelines.

Troy
Revolutionary Racing

I agree with both of you. We never would have been able to do our first race in a 1936 Buick or something absurd like that. We were going to do a 62 Stude Lark until the owner/seller got too upset at how we were going to do the car for the race and refused to sell it to us. But having done a couple of these races now, I'd definitely do a more outlandish car. For the first set of races, I totally agree with you guys though.

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

Mulry wrote:

I agree with both of you. We never would have been able to do our first race in a 1936 Buick or something absurd like that. We were going to do a 62 Stude Lark until the owner/seller got too upset at how we were going to do the car for the race and refused to sell it to us. But having done a couple of these races now, I'd definitely do a more outlandish car. For the first set of races, I totally agree with you guys though.

Totally agreed.  After 6 events, im totally ready to drive something absurd and stupid.. but I def. think the MR2 was a great starting car.

36 (edited by Troy 2009-12-16 11:37 AM)

I've met BMW Troy and I know Pat.

I always find it funny how people say you shouln't be here for the overall win.  Then the cheating bitchfest/whin-o-rama starts.  Suddenly these guys here just to have a good time are offended by the fast moving E30s, Miatas an so on.

I assure you, I am making every effort I can to win.  Especially with the unrelenting Z bashing.  I feel almost a moral obligation to shift the axis of the universe as we know it.

Regarding an E36 BMW, I had one and wish I still had it.  It's the first car I took to the track.  I kept my 3rd gen Maxima instead.  There is NO comparison between a front drive Maxima and an E36 or even a Miata.  The 6 cylinder E36 is a born bad ass.  The 318 may look similar but it's missing more than 2 cylinders.  The 325 has great grip and balance right out of the box.  Sure, the M3 is better but all around a great package.  It's pretty easy to drive which makes it a great car for beginners. 

Unfortunately, they are hard to find in the $500 range.  One the positive side, their drive train holds up better than their interior.  They drop in value cause the door panels are falling apart and cosmetically the cars need a face lift.  The foam on all sorts of stuff under the dash is turning to dust and getting in everything inside the dash.  It looked like a black dust bomb went off inside the dash of my car.

I followed the gold 325 a bit during practice and it was hard to catch.  My 240Z is no where close to stock and the gold 325 was damn near an even match.

So while odd cars are very interesting, I prefer cars with performance potential.  Both get into races but a 50's piece of American/Fresh/Russian/Japanese history may have an easier acceptance than a E30. 

I try to do what I can with what I've got.  That said, I pail in comparison to the motorcycle powered cars.  That's a whole different stratosphere.

I feel like teams should pick whatever they are comfortable and makes them happy.  Come have a good time.  It you feel the need to complain about the BMWs, maybe you should have picked one yourself.  No one forced your car selection on you.

We come to have a good time with strong hopes of winning.  Maybe we should try a BMW instead of a Z to improve the odds of winning.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

Y'all need to read a page from the Krider book -- take pride in your BS laps!

"We got 100 laps -- rad!!"

And really, this whole thread should be nothing but, "I brought a BMW E36 to a Lemons race and they only gave me 50 laps!! Pulled the wool over their eyes -- Suckers!!"

But I know, whining is more fun.

"This is the scene where I get shot," Bronson said. "I have these little squibs that explode to make it look like bullets are hitting." "Fascinating," said Bergman. "I never knew how they did that." "You mean," asked Bronson, "you don't use machine guns in your movies?"

Wow!  The famous Troy has christened me with a new name; 'BMW Troy'.  Thanks Troy!

ironically, we were pretty pleased to get our 48 BS laps because we knew that took us out of contention and that was back in the day when the People's Curse was a real threat.  We figured if we were way down on the lap sheet, no one would want to destroy our car.  Funny to think how much the change in the voting at that race has changed the dynamic of the peoples Curse. 

I doubt people in the last few races spend as much time worrying about being crushed as we did before Houston. 

BTW, we were not cheating (at least not much), but we knew people would perceive the E36 as a cheater so we were worried that if we had been in the top 10 or so people may have been looking to crush us.

We knew we were completely out of contention for the overall win, but we were not arrogant enough to think we had a chance in our first race given our inexperience with both a car and drivers who had never been on a track, so our 48 BS lap lashing was not so bad.

Troy, I think there may be different definitions for what constitutes a "win" when it comes to Lemons. I suspect that your definition is the traditional one for an endurance auto race -- most laps completed during competition. But some would argue that because the payout for Index is higher than for anything else, that is now what constitutes an "overall win" at Lemons.

For me, it would be a win just to complete an entire race without having to swap engines sometime during the race. We're back to baby steps here at TARP Racing. smile

The February race in Houston will be the first race with my own car and my own team, which is both exciting and scary. (My first race was in a car that someone else prepared ... it's actually done 3 races without a single mechanical failure.)  All we need to do now is keep the car from overheating long enough to see what else needs to be fixed.

Summer's Eve Racing - '09 Yee-Haw; '10 Gator-O-Rama, NorDal Hooptie, Yee-Haw; '11 Gator-O-Rama, NorDal Hooptie (Winner, Class A!)
TARP Racing - '11 Yee-Haw, Heaps; '12 Gator-O-Rama (Winner, Class C ... Looking for a Class B Win to Complete the Trifecta!), Heaps; '13 NorDal Hooptie, Gator-O-Rama

BMW's are great cars & older ones are prime candidates for Lemons racing....sturdy reliable cars that are RWD with a nice balance of power-brakes-handling in the correct price range...  and being in the correct price range is HUGE to Lemons....since we all can't show up with Mercedes S600's

Its safe to say an M3 will NEVER get past BS...they are just too valuable...no matter how trashed.... 

The way I see it there is two types of Lemons racers:

1:  The IOE guys who just want to have fun..75%
2:  The delusional guys who show up with pseudo race cars that THINK they can win..25%

Just figure out which group you want to be in and plan your car-race around that....thats the best way to have the most fun....

Richard Doty
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

In Northern California it is surprising how many cheap BMW's are available. You really can find one for $500.

i want to race an e36 in Lemons.  please, oh please.

psssst... it is the bestest out of the box cheaterific car you could ever enter.  smile

Lee Ho Fook's Racing E36

soldmystang wrote:

psssst... it is the bestest out of the box cheaterific car you could ever enter.  smile

There was an E36 at Thunderhill.......

But if they are so cheater-ific why do I recall PASSING it many times?

Richard Doty
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

icemang17 wrote:

That car definitely had some issues, and it certainly didn't live up to the E36's potential.  I must say that I found it pretty unsettling to see an E36 at Lemons that was cosmetically cleaner than the E36 street car I had driven to Lemons.

For the record, I am opposed to E36s at Lemons.  They're quick, reasonably reliable, easy to drive and (if you look hard enough) available at Lemons prices.  Where's the fun in driving a good car at Lemons?  Find a real piece of crap, drive the wheels off of it, and have a good time.

I have a 'free' '83 320i. It's my wife's car.
We'll be replacing it with a 'free' Jeep in February.

The Bimmer would be fun, but it just had all the body and paint work done in a trade.
Really nice car.

Probably too nice...

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/off-topi … e-bmw.html

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/101-proj … oring.html

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/uploads15/P10500551250819173.jpg

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/uploads15/P10500561250819196.jpg

KT

TH 2009- 40th ~ SP 2010- 13th Class Bad win!! TH 2010- 17th ~TH 2010- 16th  SP 2011- 20th ~ RF 2011- 13th Least Horrible Yank Tank ~ TH 2011- 79th
SP 2011- 105th ~ SP 2012- 119th ~ SP 2013- 139th ~ BW 2013- 17th
Follow Filthy on Facebook: Flailing Lizard Motorsports

icemang17 wrote:
soldmystang wrote:

they obviously did not know what they had and didn't know what to do with it.  the only thing an e36 gives up to an e30 is weight. 

a 2.5 motor with the suspension adjustability of the e36 chassis is a serious ringer.  175hp to the wheels with some easily concealed tweaks is available.

Lee Ho Fook's Racing E36

trekkor wrote:

I have a 'free' '83 320i. It's my wife's car.
We'll be replacing it with a 'free' Jeep in February.

The Bimmer would be fun, but it just had all the body and paint work done in a trade.
Really nice car.

Probably too nice...

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/off-topi … e-bmw.html

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/101-proj … oring.html

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/uploads1 … 819173.jpg

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/uploads1 … 819196.jpg

KT

KT
Thats too nice...I wouldn't do it

Richard Doty
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

soldmystang wrote:

well gosh, imagine that.  a 1900 pound E30 can hang with a 2700 pound E36.

Bone stock our 325e weighed 2700 lbs. Stripped out all the interior (including dash, sunroof cassette, and all windows), cut off some extra sheet metal, added a bolt-in cage and it weighed 2400 lbs.

The Homer: Powerful like a gorilla, yet soft and yielding like a Nerf ball.

LTDScott wrote:
soldmystang wrote:

well gosh, imagine that.  a 1900 pound E30 can hang with a 2700 pound E36.

Bone stock our 325e weighed 2700 lbs. Stripped out all the interior (including dash, sunroof cassette, and all windows), cut off some extra sheet metal, added a bolt-in cage and it weighed 2400 lbs.

yeah i might have been a little generous with that assumption.  i would love to know what our car weighs.

Lee Ho Fook's Racing E36