Topic: Rules Q: Fuel Line

Nick (or any authoritarian Lemons type),

Re:

3.25.2: Fuel Cell Installation: If you decide to install a fuel cell, it must be securely mounted in a professional manner and must be installed in a safe location where it won't be damaged in an impact or drag on the ground if the car leaves the track. All aftermarket fuel components must use threaded fittings and appropriate hose types, and must include all appropriate racecar-quality vents, valves, and other safety features. Fuel-cell installations will be judged on their overall execution and apparent safety. Cars whose fuel cells do not feature internal foam, a puncture-resistant bladder, and/or metal encasement are considerably more likely to fail tech inspection.

Our fuel cell installation has hard line after the high pressure pump but rubber line to that pump and from a low pressure lift pump. It's been through three Lemons events and some ice racing with no one raising a question about it and no fuel leak issues. Will I be able to run the same setup now?

Ramon Mendoza
El Blackie Chaparral Racing

Re: Rules Q: Fuel Line

Good question...  We don't have a fuel cell, but do have an auxiliary tank and a second fuel pump, so I can assume the rule would be applied to us.  The low pressure side of our fuel system (near zero psi) uses barbed fittings with hose clamps while the high pressure side uses stock threaded fittings...  I assume this setup would still be OK?  I can send in photos and further description if need be.

Re: Rules Q: Fuel Line

My interpretation of that rule is: "If you don't know what you're doing and have never installed a fuel cell before or even seen an installed fuel cell before, just leave the OE equipment".  If you guys know what you're doing, you're probably fine.

The way that they don't give exact criteria but instead say "Fuel-cell installations will be judged on their overall execution and apparent safety" should be a big flashing light to first-timers saying "You risk failing tech if you don't know what you're doing".

Car to Pit telemetry (OBD2, GPS, and analog inputs) with little more than a phone, router, and laptop.  It's not MacGuyver, it's WifiLapper (forum | facebook)